• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Very helpful guide, next time I'll follow this when playing :P

Thank you for this guide!

PullMyPhinger #222 Posted Oct 17 2014 - 14:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 39348 battles
Good stuff.  Here's a tactic I have found that works well.   If you have a fast mover coming in on you, lock on him and wait until he is moving away or toward you or even stopped before you fire.  It's not worth firing at a target that is moving across your front.  Be patient and it will pay off more than not. 

Spector668 #223 Posted Dec 03 2014 - 11:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22741 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

Great post Chieftain..definitely a 'must read' for arty drivers.

One bit I'd like to add is counter-battery work. Most arty drivers head to the 'usual' areas/firing points on the maps. Get to know them well and learn to 'lock' your reticle (default setting for this is right mouse, press and hold) while looking for the tracer of their shots. When you see a shot fly out from a spot, 'unlock' your reticle, traverse/aim to this point and send the shot. You might make the kill or damage the OpFor arty... but more importantly you'll force him to change his game, distract him, making him less effective in his job. Plus, he'll get that creeping feeling that he's being hunted not just by the scouts, but by you as well. There are several very good players in the game who make counter-battery work their first priority. Being able to neutralize or throw off the OpFor arty from their game can be a major factor in deciding a match.

Edited by Spector668, Dec 05 2014 - 03:48.

puffitaround #224 Posted Dec 03 2014 - 12:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 73077 battles
Wen are they ever going to fix arty there's 2 things that bug's me the most i have over 30k battles so i no what i'm talking about wen is the last time the crew that fixes this problem's has leveled an arty i have just about every tank researched and the one thing i noticed is the arty has it the hardest and longest to level up from 1 to 10  at low level it is a living hell there's only 2 ways to level up its either you go in don't wait for the focus and hope to hit something or go td and this is up to tier 4-5 easily and this is because the games are so fast the tanks die so quick you don't get a chance to hit theme the second thing witch is just ridicule is the focus its just way to sensible iv seen a fence reset the focus that's just retarded i'm pretty sure even today's technologies don't react like this it needs to be faster if its going to stay sensible like this or it needs to be less sensible 

lets stop listening to cry baby's that don't play arty that cant understand being arty safe 
lets get the researchers level up arty's so they can see the problem's 
and lets get fixing arty's

BigRed041 #225 Posted Jan 30 2015 - 19:05

Private

• -Players-
  • 303 battles
How do you get the overhead aiming sight

EliZacharias #226 Posted Jan 30 2015 - 20:32

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1041 battles
shift key

JABowders #227 Posted Mar 27 2015 - 21:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 14723 battles

I would like to see a Gunner's Option to switch to "High Angle"  increased Firing Angle thus increasing angle of attack on targets hiding behind houses, rocks, and the like. The draw back would be added Time of Flight but it would also decrease the the overall size of the MPI (Mean Point of Impact)  and it would be represented in a near perfect circle, where "Low Angle" depicts the current oblong MPI area.

Don't forget to check your Mask and Overhead Clearances ...

Battle on!

AramFingal #228 Posted Mar 31 2015 - 21:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2708 battles
Thank you for this article. It has given me cause to lesson my displeasure toward Arty players. The more I learn, the better I am, especially when I apply what I have learned!

Root_Privilege #229 Posted Dec 02 2015 - 07:23

Private

• -Players-
  • 11095 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB
Excuse the newb question.  There are two semi-circular arcs in the sight picture what does it mean when one is red?

Legiondude #230 Posted Dec 02 2015 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 20522 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostRoot_Privilege, on Dec 02 2015 - 01:23, said:

Excuse the newb question.  There are two semi-circular arcs in the sight picture what does it mean when one is red?

Those are part of your gun reticle settings, but one signifies your HP and the other signifies your reload

Pilgrim_of_many_Pilgrims #231 Posted Dec 03 2015 - 22:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25410 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostVenteRuma, on Oct 13 2013 - 11:09, said:

I have a few comments about this one as well, both as an experience artillery player, heavy and medium player.   The first one is  that if arti is 'calling' a target, OR you are screaming for help on a target......DON"T FACE HUG and expect artillery to help out!!!   If you are in my impact zone, I'm NOT firing....period, end of story.  I can't count how many times I've killed an enemy AFTER the friendly that was screaming for help was dead....because he was TOO close!!!!  By the same token, if you ARE going up against someone and know that  your own artillery is dead, or is looking at the other end of the map, then face hug them....you could save yourself from being hit by enemy artillery.    Minimap, Minimap, Minimap......I can't say this enough!!!!  Artillery players need to know what is going on, including that light that just blipped up on the flank and disappeared.....was he headed to the back???  Could he be a threat??  The other one is for the heavy and medium players.....you know where to hide from enemy artillery....now, how many of you pay attention enough to know where friendly artillery is and whether or not they have the angle?   If you peek, and peek, and peek around that mountain that artillery can't clear.....TRYING to kill that E100/Maus/IS7, etc......what happens if you pull back far enough to let them come around at you????    IF you tell artillery what you want, and what you are planning, they'll likely be zoomed in and ready!  If the other team is hiding artillery safe.....TRY to sucker them around so that they get hammered!!   How many of you have watched as artillery zapped that TD for 30% health....and within the next 5 seconds stuck your head out there to light him again???  Do a QUICK light.....but CAREFULLY because artillery hasn't had time to reload.  Pay attention, or better yet...ASK how long it takes arti to reload.  A good artillery player will know roughly how long their reload is, MOST have mods that tell exactly how long it is.   And lastly......MOST arti players do NOT fire on moving targets!!!   STAY MOVING!!!!!  If you stop, you could die!!!!  At the same time....be ready to track the enemy at least TWO or better yet, THREE times.....IF your artillery is reloaded.  Remember the aim time???  How long will it take a 100% Repairs trained crew to repair a track?? 5 seconds???  So figure 10 seconds to reload.....and then 3-5 seconds FLIGHT TIME....yeah, if you want him dead, track him multiple times.........

Played arty to tier x on xbox and now on my mac just grinding up the tiers, i agree with all of this, in particular if teams understand that we can't hit the enemy if they are not spotted, maybe if your in a scout give a shout out to your arty and tell them to watch out, watch out. if u team up with arty you become part of a very potent force and will be a game changer.

Thanks Chieften for the info :)

Edited by pilgrim2223, Dec 03 2015 - 22:03.

caelum_cancre #232 Posted Oct 05 2016 - 03:35

Private

• -Players-
  • 12552 battles
  • [NERDY] NERDY

I know this thread is very old, but the images for artillery arcs still come up in google searches. I'd like to add arc at max range and clarify the arc scale at 500m. I've compiled details from several places and I'll sum them up here.

Each artillery has a different maximum shooting range, which is shown in the game on each tank. Maximum shooting range is determined by shell velocity and maximum gun elevation up to 45 degrees. World of Tanks uses a ballistics model based on a simple parabola, so having the gun at an angle greater or less than 45 degrees causes the shell to land inside, or short of, the max shooting range. If you use strategic view, the special top-down view for arty, the max gun angle is 45 degrees above the ground. 

Here are max ranges for Tier X:

To increase maximum firing range, you must use a higher-velocity shell/gun. Shell velocity determines the size of the arc, so higher shell velocities means your shell goes higher and travels farther.

Example:

If my SPG has a shell velocity of 300 meters per second, then gun angle alone controls how far the shell lands.

If I point the gun up (using arcade view) to 60 degrees, the shell lands at 520 meters. the max shell height is 260 meters.

My max shooting range is 600 meters at 45 degrees. The shell's maximum height is 150 meters.

If I point my gun at 30 degrees, the shell lands at 520 meters. the max shell height is 75 meters.

To aim at a target 300 meters away in strategic view, the game automatically angles the gun to 15 degrees. the max shell height is 20 meters.

Here's Tier X artillery arc for 500m (more to scale):

Some artillery allows gun elevation above 45 degrees, like the Grille. Two reasons your gun would aim above 45 degrees:

-your hull is slanted down hill and your gun aims up more than normal to reach 45 degrees

-you aim your gun up above 45 degrees in arcade view

World of Tanks gun arc math:

gravity for normal tanks is -9.8 meters per second-squared (-9.8 m/s2)

gravity of artillery is -150 meters per second-squared. If artillery used g = -9.8, shooting range would be several kilometers for the the slowest shells, bigger than any map!

gravity is negative because it pulls down.

a simple downward-opening parabola:

y = -ax2+bx+c

a detailed parabola formula for simple ballistics is:

y = (gravity / 2)*(x / (x velocity))2 + (y velocity * x / (x velocity)) + (y position at x = 0)

y velocity = (shell velocity)*sin(firing angle)

x velocity = (shell velocity)*cos(firing angle) 

"y position at x = 0" means "how high the base of your turret is above the ground"

Firing solutions:

(Shell velocity) = (distance to target) / [ cos (gun angle) * sqrt( (20/3) * tan(gun angle) ) ]

Pick the solution under 45 degrees or under .785 radians. I did not solve for the angle, but wolframalpha can do that math.

Here is the formula for a 500m firing solution for the Bat. Chat. 155 58:

460.22 == 500/(Cos[x] ((20/3) Tan[x])^(1/2))
Solution:
Gun angle ≈ 0.180977670070431... (radians)
Gun angle ≈ 10.369256681147... (degrees)

Shell velocities at Tier X:

Conqueror = 388.46 meters / second
T92 = 459.89
Object 261 = 469.41
G.W. E 100 = 446.99
Bat. Chat. 155 58 = 460.22

Edited by caelum_cancre, Nov 02 2016 - 01:08.

Vava_das_SPGs #233 Posted Oct 05 2016 - 14:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 26571 battles

View Postcaelum_cancre, on Oct 04 2016 - 23:35, said:

Some artillery allows gun elevation above 45 degrees, like the Grille. Two reasons your gun would aim above 45 degrees:

-your hull is slanted down hill and your gun aims up more than normal to reach 45 degrees

-you aim your gun up above 45 degrees in arcade view

Thanks a lot for all the explanations!!!
I would add some things to think, about the Grille (that's my favourite arty_) :
If you are in low ground, aiming a target that is in high ground (for example, in Westfield map, spawning south), this gun over 45 degrees can help shooting nearby (covered) enemies (the high shell arc manages to get the nearby enemy that is in the southern edge of the main hill).

JRingo20 #234 Posted Oct 05 2016 - 23:35

Major

• Players
  • 31552 battles
And now, 3 years later, RNG roll and the shell lands in the next map of the next game.

Vava_das_SPGs #235 Posted Oct 06 2016 - 04:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 26571 battles

View PostJRingo20, on Oct 05 2016 - 19:35, said:

And now, 3 years later, RNG roll and the shell lands in the next map of the next game.

Well... My global HR is ~37%, but nowadays, playing with the german tier 5 arty (Grille), it's not unusual 66% HR (or even 100%). It's a matter of practice and get the most of the vehicle you're using.

JRingo20 #236 Posted Oct 06 2016 - 22:08

Major

• Players
  • 31552 battles

View PostV_A_C_A, on Oct 05 2016 - 21:01, said:

Well... My global HR is ~37%, but nowadays, playing with the german tier 5 arty (Grille), it's not unusual 66% HR (or even 100%). It's a matter of practice and get the most of the vehicle you're using.

9,200 games in arty. The four I have left have above 52% W/R.

(Feel the hate.)

heritage58 #237 Posted Oct 07 2016 - 04:40

Private

• Players
  • 11638 battles
I have a very simple FNG question to arty and that is how the hell do you aim these puppies? I am totally confused on this. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Vava_das_SPGs #238 Posted Oct 07 2016 - 14:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 26571 battles

View PostJRingo20, on Oct 06 2016 - 18:08, said:

9,200 games in arty. The four I have left have above 52% W/R.

(Feel the hate.)

My winrate is >55%, but my hitratio is >37%.
I'm increasing my hitratio, as my crews (nowadays) are 100% trained, but my global still very low.

JRingo20 #239 Posted Oct 08 2016 - 21:21

Major

• Players
  • 31552 battles

View PostV_A_C_A, on Oct 07 2016 - 07:46, said:

My winrate is >55%, but my hitratio is >37%.
I'm increasing my hitratio, as my crews (nowadays) are 100% trained, but my global still very low.

All my arty crews are winding down on their fourth skill. 

My hit ratio is about the same as yours.

Grinding skills in arty is kinda a waste of time.

Too much RNG applied.

caelum_cancre #240 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 00:22

Private

• -Players-
  • 12552 battles
  • [NERDY] NERDY

View Postheritage58, on Oct 07 2016 - 04:40, said:

I have a very simple FNG question to arty and that is how the hell do you aim these puppies? I am totally confused on this. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Most of the time you can use "strategic view" to look at the map from the top-down to hit targets. Access this by hitting the "shift" key, and leave it by hitting the "shift" key again. The shot will land somewhere in the oval of green dots. If you are missing shots, watch youtube videos of players who received an "ace tanker" medal for playing arty. Make sure the video is recent because WoT game mechanics change often, so arty was "easier" to play a few years ago.

Here is one example: https://www.youtube....h?v=rvKRZv0D7oE

I picked this because it's a higher-tier game so tanks are usually moving, not just sitting there. The player added some tips on the screen for playing arty.

Because the aiming circle for Arty is oval-shaped for most of your targets, more of your shots will land past the tank you are aiming at. If you want the aiming circle to be more like a circle in strategic, park your tank further from what you want to shoot at.

A chance to hit green area is 68%, yellow - 27% and red - 5%. - Guns accuracy - Game mechanics - World of Tanks - Game Guide and Walkthrough

Additionally, you can download the "battle assistant" mod. Here is a link to the current version designed for the 9.16 game: http://modsworldofta...ttle-assistant/

The Battle Assistant mod shows the "point of view" of your shell, so you can see both what angle it comes in at and what is in the way. I find it's most helpful for city and town maps because the tops of buildings are uneven and will block some or all of the shell path to a tank. It also makes it easier to put the center of the aiming circle over a specific part of the tank that is standing still, but I think it makes it harder to hit moving tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users