How to correctly aim with arty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Katukov #1 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 21:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 48699 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I have experimented with various SPG how to aim correctly. Still did not find best way to aim.

Assuming that tank is not moving, and aim circle or ellipse has shrink. Where should the point point?

Any pictures or link to the guide would be helpful.

Thanks!

GeorgePatton #2 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 21:22

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 5384 battles
  • [3ARMY] 3ARMY
I always aim right behind the turret... don't really know why, but it feels like it would do more damage. lol

Cheers!
Glenn

RedShocktrooper #3 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 21:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 6313 battles
  • [PRAV] PRAV
Mainly because the rear of the turret is ammo storage. I've heard stories of high-end tanks being one-shot by a lower tank thanks to a shot to the back of the turret, which blows up the ammo.

sourkraut #4 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 21:33

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2450 battles
  • [LKY56] LKY56
The fartger away your target is the more your going to aim behind it. The arch is long and your shot will probably land right in front of your target. Aiming slighty behind it usually insures a shell slamming into the mass of your target. At closer ranges your arch is stort but high. Your shell flys up and comes down. aiming right on top of your target will have the shell land Dead on.

GeorgePatton #5 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 21:42

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 5384 battles
  • [3ARMY] 3ARMY
Kraut??? Seriously? Aim behind them? which way are they going mate? lol

Cheers!
Glenn

Kolvin #6 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 21:47

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4727 battles
The original poster specified a stationary target, Patton.

Yes, you lead a moving target, we know that.

( also, if the target is engaged with another player and near some cover, you might want to trail the target just after they fire, as experienced players tend to back into cover while reloading. )

Erictheawful #7 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 22:08

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7971 battles
  • [RISK] RISK
Another thing you need to take into consideration is there is a chance you are going to miss with every shot you fire, that said I usually aim, depending on the target position, for the back half of the target. If I can hit there I'll take a shot at the meatiest part of the target. Sometimes when you aim on the target, say its broadside to your shell, and you have the green dot on it the shell will fall short, to try to prevent this from happening aim the green dot to just the other side of the tank (note: distance, and terrain play a huge part in aiming, a target on level ground is usually way easier to hit) this gives the shell a good chance to hit the turret as it comes down.

Another example, lets say a tank is facing you, and your circle is an oval, put the very bottom of the oval (assuming the target is stationary) even with the front of the tank. Due to the arc of the shell is will hit about 95% of the time. If you want any pointers you can find me in game I'd be willing to help you learn how to aim :Smile_honoring: .

The fartger away your target is the more your going to aim behind it. The arch is long and your shot will probably land right in front of your target. Aiming slighty behind it usually insures a shell slamming into the mass of your target. At closer ranges your arch is stort but high. Your shell flys up and comes down. aiming right on top of your target will have the shell land Dead on.

never aim behind a moving target, you'll miss, unless they are backing up  :lol:.

Yorkston #8 Posted Feb 07 2011 - 23:08

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5933 battles
It can also depend somewhat on which arty you are using due to differences in shell trajectory.  Russian guns tend to have a higher arc and drop close to straight down on the target.  German arty, especially the Hummel, have a much flatter trajectory and tend to hit people in the face as opposed to on top of the head.  As a hummel/Gpanther driver I usually aim for the turret (tallest part of the tank), while for high-trajectory guns it is usually better to aim for the center of the hull.  You can partially tell if your gun has a high arc or not by looking at the aiming circle.  A high-arc gun will have a rounder aiming circle while the hummel's is eliptical.

solipsistnation #9 Posted Feb 08 2011 - 00:27

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7897 battles
  • [DCVI] DCVI
With the SU-26, it depends on how big the circle is.

If the circle is tiny and the target is big, I aim for the back end of the target, figuring there are more damagable components there and the armor is likely to be thinner.

If the circle is much larger than the target, I tend to more-or-less center it on the target, since the random targeting means I want to have as good a chance of hitting the target as possible.

Kameho #10 Posted Feb 08 2011 - 14:54

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Combine arties, make battleship, call down artillery volleys. Never fails to amuse me, also, always hits the target.

Voice Chat is a must with other artilleries.

Katukov #11 Posted Feb 09 2011 - 15:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 48699 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
Thanks all, I was able to find my hummel   :Smile-playing:

Dustdevil #12 Posted Feb 20 2011 - 09:15

Private

• Players
  • 10802 battles
  • [OO] OO

View PostKatukov, on Feb 09 2011 - 15:20, said:

Thanks all, I was able to find my hummel   :Smile-playing:

Eveyone refers to aiming in front or behind, but 'HOW' exactly do you do this aim? Are you hitting shift and scooping like the regualr tanks or are you aiming using the map? I dont get this ' method ' that your refering to..... A screen shot in a reply may be helpful.

TigerHawk #13 Posted Feb 20 2011 - 12:18

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7184 battles

View PostDustdevil, on Feb 20 2011 - 09:15, said:

Eveyone refers to aiming in front or behind, but 'HOW' exactly do you do this aim? Are you hitting shift and scooping like the regualr tanks or are you aiming using the map? I dont get this ' method ' that your refering to..... A screen shot in a reply may be helpful.

You DO realize that artillery has it's own viewmode looking down from above, right? They don't have a scoped mode like normal tanks. When you push shift it goes to an "eye in the sky" view....that's what they mean.

Dustdevil #14 Posted Feb 20 2011 - 18:48

Private

• Players
  • 10802 battles
  • [OO] OO

View PostTigerHawk, on Feb 20 2011 - 12:18, said:

You DO realize that artillery has it's own viewmode looking down from above, right? They don't have a scoped mode like normal tanks. When you push shift it goes to an "eye in the sky" view....that's what they mean.

No I did not know about the eye in the sky mode. How is this opened? When I hit 'shift' I get only the scope' view like the regular tanks. but I'm driving the 'PanzerJager 1'That is arty yes?

sadow333 #15 Posted Feb 20 2011 - 19:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 85 battles

View PostDustdevil, on Feb 20 2011 - 18:48, said:

No I did not know about the eye in the sky mode. How is this opened? When I hit 'shift' I get only the scope' view like the regular tanks. but I'm driving the 'PanzerJager 1'That is arty yes?
that's tank destroyer.

Admiral_Leviathan #16 Posted Mar 17 2011 - 20:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 23 battles

View PostDustdevil, on Feb 20 2011 - 18:48, said:

but I'm driving the 'PanzerJager 1'That is arty yes?
The Panzer Jager I is a Tank Destoyer, not an SPG.

Artillery units should be found on the left of the Tech Tree, beginning with the Sturmpanzer I Bison for Germany, T57 for America and the SU-26 (?) for Russia. Their in-game icons also are coloured brown instead of light gray/dark gray. Hope this clears it up.

Brimley #17 Posted Mar 22 2011 - 21:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I just keep in mind the gun fires at an arc.  If the elipse is in the front of that arc, I'll be hitting with a head-on shot, if the circle is round, I'll be close to 90 degrees and if I go past that and it gets flatter, I'll be hitting further towards the back.  So far I have just over a 50% hit rate so I must not be doing all that bad... unless I load AP shells and hit head-on, then I start *dinging*.

bodha #18 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 09:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13619 battles
if the target is sideways to you aim for the bottom edge of the front of the turret.  the trick is to remember your circle represents the end of the funnel your shell is going to go down. You want to maximize the amount of the funnel that intersects with the enemy tank. Your aiming point is in a 3D environment.  If the spot you are aiming at is low on the side of thank you will usually have more of the funnel that doesnt intersect the tank. high on the turret results in the same. Low on the turret allows for the funnel to have less open space short of the tank and turret basically catches rounds that would go long. This is particularly important if the target ellipse is long and skinny. If the green dots make a nearly a perfect circle it doesnt matter all that much.

triptyx #19 Posted Apr 08 2011 - 20:09

Staff sergeant

• Wiki Staff
  • 1061 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA

View PostBrimley, on Mar 22 2011 - 21:19, said:

I just keep in mind the gun fires at an arc.  If the elipse is in the front of that arc, I'll be hitting with a head-on shot, if the circle is round, I'll be close to 90 degrees and if I go past that and it gets flatter, I'll be hitting further towards the back.  So far I have just over a 50% hit rate so I must not be doing all that bad... unless I load AP shells and hit head-on, then I start *dinging*.

Yup.  Once I got that fact through my head, I started hitting a lot more often with the Hummel and my irritation went way down.

Thracius #20 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 10:29

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
well if it's very long range and I get the ellipse reticle I aim so that the enemy is just a little bit closer to me than the center dot, I put the dot just very little past the enemy, so, due to having the very flat arc means you can get good side hits

one match today I got 5 kills this way! with a Wespe!