• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Lert #1 Posted Sep 23 2013 - 23:43

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43520 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH

POPULAR

Tanks! Guns! Big booms! Shoot your enemies!

We all like our big explosions and we all want to shoot bad guys. But, choosing your arena makes all the difference between a good player and a bad player. Positioning yourself makes all the difference and knowing when to engage and when not to is the difference between a win and a loss.

To this end, the unicum CraBeatOff, a far better player than me, has written a small flowchart which I would like to post on this forum as well, with his permission. I will also explain a bit about it, about the various steps.

Basically, it goes from best situations to engage enemies from to worst. His flowchart goes like this:

Camo/draw > exposure > armor > first strike > hp

To explain:

Camo/draw:

If the enemy can't see you because you're unscouted and outside his view range, that's the ideal situation to engage him from. After all, if he can't see you, he can't lay accurate fire on your position. Sure, his damage indicator will give a general direction where your fire is coming from, but without your tank actually drawn on his screen, there's no way he can even get his barrel on you to return fire. Fighting from camo only works if you have forward eyes lighting up your enemy, or if you significantly out-viewrange him. If you can't fight from camo and the enemy knows where you are, try to limit your ...

Exposure:

This has everything to do with map geometry. You need to expose yourself in order to fire on the enemy (unless you're an arty). If you take your shot and back into cover before he can put his gun on you, he won't be able to shoot back and you will have done some free damage. Peek out, take your shot and move back behind cover so he won't be able to put fire back on you. If there's no cover, try to use your ...

Armor:

Use angles, use hull-down tactics, sidescrape, present only your strongest armor to the enemy to improve the chances of bouncing his return fire, or having his shots harmlessly eaten by your tracks or other spaced armor. Any shell that does not go through does not do damage and does not kill you, and HE shells do reduced damage to spaced armor and angled armor, as well. Use your armor to limit incoming damage, while trying to maximize outgoing damage. If you don't have the armor, then make damn sure you have ...

First strike:

Peeking out from behind cover only to have the enemy shoot you before you can put your gun on him is bad. You're losing hitpoints and possibly modules before you can even think about being effective and returning the favor. If you engage the enemy and you can't fight from camo or cover and don't have the armor to bounce incoming fire, make damn sure you have first strike. Make your shot count for all it's worth, before the enemy can return fire. But what if this is not possible? You might still be able to engage successfully if you tank fire with your ...

Hitpoints:

You have 1000 hitpoints, your enemy 200? Yeah, you have the advantage. You can weather a shot or two from him, and still remove his gun from the game. And you'll walk away with another kill, and 600 hp left. Still ... Tanking with your hitpoints should be a last resort if all else fails, and fighting from other more advantageous positions isn't possible.

To recap:

Camo/draw > exposure > armor > first strike > hp.

First and foremost, try to fight from camo. After all, if the enemy can't see you he can't aim at you.
If you can't fight from camo, limit your exposure. After all, if there's something in the way, he can't shoot you.
If you can't limit your exposure, use your armor. After all, shots that don't go through don't do damage.
If you can't use your armor, use your hitpoints. After all, if you have hitpoints left when he doesn't, you win.

This explains why most unicums prefer fast and agile tanks with good camouflage over lumbering beasts with armor. Agility, speed and camo gives them the opportunity to relocate to fight from camo while limiting exposure, rather than tanking incoming fire with armor or hitpoints.

This also explains why it's so important to learn and understand the camouflage system. Yeah it's hokey, no it's not perfect but it's the system we have, and knowing how to (ab)use your own camouflage while negating the enemy's will go a long, long way in making your stats show bigger and shinier numbers and colors.

If you can't use any of these situations, try not to engage the enemy to begin with. You'll likely lose. Step back, look at the minimap, try to find where you can be of better use, using CraBeatOff's camo/draw > exposure > armor > first strike > hp flowchart.

deathmachine16 #2 Posted Sep 23 2013 - 23:48

Major

• Players
  • 20989 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Lert cause of all the guides you make I think its time I make a special pic for you
Posted Image

SdKfz252 #3 Posted Sep 23 2013 - 23:51

Major

• Players
  • 9356 battles
  • [-IVI-] -IVI-
For some reason...I confuse you with Mort, and Vice-Versa @_@

Umka #4 Posted Sep 23 2013 - 23:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28811 battles
Good stuff!

DeadlyDays #5 Posted Sep 23 2013 - 23:58

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12850 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC
this is a very excellent and elegant explanation of what good players do intrinsically

MiloMinderBinder #6 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23880 battles
Thank you, Lert, and thank you, Crab.

Official_WoT_Troll #7 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey lert wasup long time no see

Iron_Soul_Stealer #8 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:03

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles
Some excellent advice there^....
But he forgot to mention the most important tips...{after you absorb all of this^... of course....}
1. Install XVM..and learn how to use it. ie. *identify/target the better players first.
2. Then jump into a 3-man platoon with other XVM'ers that have absorbed this info., and start platoon stomping the solo-pubbies
3. Use obviously overpowered tanks {m4derpshermans will do fine..}, and 'teamspeak', {better communication while platoon stomping}.
* If you do this^ {after learning the basics..of course..} you'll be a 'unicrum' in a week.... :teethhappy:
-ISS

Edited by Iron_Soul_Stealer, Sep 24 2013 - 00:10.

CrabEatOff #9 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:04

Major

• Players
  • 34488 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
I approve this message. Minor edit for post 8.6

draw > camo > exposure > armor > first-strike > hp

Bushes took a big hit, so choose draw distance if its a choice between it and camo!

Lert #10 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43520 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH

View PostCrabEatOff, on Sep 24 2013 - 00:04, said:

Bushes took a big hit, so choose draw distance if its a choice between it and camo!
Problem with this is that everyone has the same draw distance, so if you're out of his draw distance, he would nominally be out of yours as well.

Merauder777 #11 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11167 battles
I had learned this a couple hundred battles ago but man could I have used it before that! Still learned a thing or two, thanks for the info!

Mydragonsfly #12 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 00:22

Major

• Players
  • 8110 battles
Id also add in that a first shot has some pros and cons.

For the pros, I'd say that a good first strike can cut morale and confidence.
Cons, you may have just given away your position. From my experience some players point and lock their gun in your direction just waiting for you to snap outta cover.  :hiding:

Whee #13 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 23736 battles
  • [-UO-] -UO-
Another great guide. +1

vonkevin #14 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 05:53

Captain

• Players
  • 30650 battles
Lert, you're my hero.  ;)

LOL

LittleWhiteMouse #15 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 07:45

Captain

• Players
  • 14874 battles
Excellent post and thought provoking.
It explains some of the merrits of some vehicles, especially when compared to a skill-to-functionality return.

I know of myself that I am not skilled enough to make use of fast vehicles.  Though I have an understanding of spotting mechanics, I do not make good use of them.  In this regard, I will unwittingly surrender many draw/camo based advantages.  Those players who outplay me in the draw potential will find me a ready victim of their guns, even if I try and make use of limiting my exposure and presenting my best armour.

I favour tanks that have armour, notably British tier 5 premiums such as the Matilda Black Prince and the A33 Excelsior.  In this manner, I always bring a ready advantage to many engagements.  Playing slow vehicles like I have has made me very concious of exposure and I hug terrain and flaming wrecks to foul the shooting opportunities of my opponents in engagements.  Still, the slow speed of the Matilda does limit my ability to make dynamic use of hard cover which in turn limits the potential for success.

I think I'm going to have to look back at a few games and analyze some engagements based on this.  It should make for a fun homework assignment.  Thanks, as ever, Lert!

Koujinoc #16 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 14:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 5341 battles
Lert,

Helpful and informative as always, +1.

CrabEatOff #17 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 16:44

Major

• Players
  • 34488 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostLert, on Sep 24 2013 - 00:05, said:

Problem with this is that everyone has the same draw distance, so if you're out of his draw distance, he would nominally be out of yours as well.

While that is true, taking advantage of 2 stage spotting off your team-mates spots is a big part of playing that draw/camo game to start with. Maneuvering using the 500x500 drawbox = working towards the skillcap

PunCzarBlintz #18 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 16:54

Major

• Players
  • 66881 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
The combination of draw range and cammo comes with the light tanks and most TD's.
Put the right skills and equipment and paint together and you become your own spotting invisitank.

My favorite is Siegfried Line in the field with my Whizzies (131,132 and Type 62) and Hellcat....
when it works, it is awesome...

Frostopper #19 Posted Oct 18 2013 - 03:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17417 battles
  • [S0R] S0R
Simply: Quite useful.
+1
Pretty much explains why I still love my lil overpowered (torque/accelleration-wise) T-28.
-Darn thing can out-climb a Pz Ic. (this is important when getting into soviet-style hull-down/peek-a-boom match)
And before you say the T-28 is a lumbering barn-door, compare it to a Churchill or KV-2.
-And the turret is smaller than the T-34's in hull-down. So the rewards for getting it 'down' are huge.
+Like, ammo-racking a Lowe-platoon, huge. (I platooned with a Tier 4 scout)

SolidHex #20 Posted Oct 20 2013 - 04:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4887 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
Somehow I missed this. Glad I took a look and hope to make use of it in the future (much more useful those never-ending "MM hates me!" threads I open up and then wonder why I bothered with.).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users