[FAQ] Scouting with a Leopard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

Centurion105 #1 Posted Jul 23 2010 - 03:31

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Very nice, very well done Lutcikaur.  http://cdn-frm-us.wargaming.net/wot/us/4.1/style_emoticons/default/Smile_glasses.gif

merig00 #2 Posted Jul 23 2010 - 06:37

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 413 battles
  • [TB-H] TB-H
Very nice!

I expect it to be updated once beta 0.5 comes out :Smile_honoring:

Eide #3 Posted Jul 23 2010 - 08:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 2089 battles
  • [TB] TB
Quite a nice guide. A few remarks though:

You mention Leopard can only kill up to P4, but then proceed to include every Tier 5 tank barring the T34. So basically (and I agree there) Leopard can kill anything up to Tier 5, barring the T34. Right now that looks a bit weird.

Arty protection is some Leopard excell at. I often find myself in games with 4 to 5 Pz IIs, Pz III, III ausf A, T46 and A20s rushing the enmy to scout. I those situation the Leopard is THE perfect tank to hang back with to engage suicide rushers who're after your arty.
Those rushers depend be able to outrun everything in their path for a limited period of time. The Leopard makes that nearly impossible if you're positioned right. You don't need to kill the rushers, just immobilise them and there's bound to be a heavier tank nearby who's willing and able to blast the rusher skyhigh.

Keldin #4 Posted Jul 23 2010 - 12:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostEide, on Jul 23 2010 - 08:48, said:

Arty protection is some Leopard excell at. I often find myself in games with 4 to 5 Pz IIs, Pz III, III ausf A, T46 and A20s rushing the enmy to scout. I those situation the Leopard is THE perfect tank to hang back with to engage suicide rushers who're after your arty.
Those rushers depend be able to outrun everything in their path for a limited period of time. The Leopard makes that nearly impossible if you're positioned right. You don't need to kill the rushers, just immobilise them and there's bound to be a heavier tank nearby who's willing and able to blast the rusher skyhigh.

This. I often hang back for defense with my Pz3/4 or even with the P4 early in the match. I don't have the turret rotation speed to stop the fast moving enemy scouts, so a track hit by the leopard in combination with a big fat HE round is an excellent combination.

Keldin

Sue #5 Posted Jul 23 2010 - 14:27

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4994 battles
Nice guide! :)

merig00 #6 Posted Jul 23 2010 - 14:31

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 413 battles
  • [TB-H] TB-H
Also even though HE rounds can't really deal damage to tanks level 5 and above, you can take out their modules just like that. Heavy tank with damaged turret or engine is pretty much useless.

amade #7 Posted Jul 24 2010 - 10:44

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12012 battles
Great guide!

Although some would consider this a waste of gold but APCR shells are quite useful in desperate, turn-the-tide-of-the-battle situations. It can penetrate some of the tougher mediums as well as a few heavies much more easily, provided you go for the sides/back. I've used them in a few battles where I absolutely had to kill weakened key targets which I would otherwise not be able to penetrate with either HE or AP in order to help ensure victory. These are the moments when your already overdriven adrenaline rush goes into an even higher gear.

Of course, since the primary function of the Leopard is as a scout I would not recommend that anyone load up their leopard with lots of APCR shells and go tank hunting since even with the extra penetration you still wouldn't be able to cause enough damage to high HP tanks. Personally, I only carry around a dozen shells every time I go into battle and rarely use them at all so it's not a drain to your gold coffers.

Ulfar #8 Posted Jul 24 2010 - 15:46

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 11441 battles
Thanks for this guide, I just started to play a Leopard yesterday and this kind of thread is pretty helpful for any "newcomer" to the leopard scouting. Thumb up!

zablnc #9 Posted Jul 24 2010 - 22:51

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3188 battles
  • [T1] T1
Nice guide, But 2 thing are wrong here. one Deg to climb is 10 lower the a PZ III and you speed is only 4 km faster then a pZ III. Two I have never had a leopard take out my PZ III. The Leopard torque is too slow, takes to long to pick up speed. PZ III will own a Leopard.

amade #10 Posted Jul 24 2010 - 23:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12012 battles

View Postzablnc, on Jul 24 2010 - 22:51, said:

Two I have never had a leopard take out my PZ III.

Never? I look forward to being the first Leopard owner to claim your smoking wreck! ;)

Though I agree, PzIIIs are not easy to kill. But not impossible. Then again a Leopard's purpose is not to go around hunting medium tanks. Often if it's not another Leopard or an A-20 that's chasing and keeping up with my leopard chances are it's gotta be a PzIII.

zablnc #11 Posted Jul 25 2010 - 15:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3188 battles
  • [T1] T1
I'll see you two in the game Good Luck your need it   :rolleyes:

zablnc #12 Posted Jul 25 2010 - 16:34

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3188 battles
  • [T1] T1

View PostLutcikaur, on Jul 25 2010 - 16:22, said:

-win- :D but good matchs

Yes I put my head down in Shame. I want a rematch when crew is 100%.....  :D

Thanks for the battles Lutcikaur it was fun  B)

Mod #13 Posted Aug 02 2010 - 07:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
"Second, You are a SPG Hunter. You should ONLY go to kill SPG's if

A: There is nobody else around.
B: there are only light tanks/p3's around, that you know you can evade.
C: There are other people around that aren't paying attention.
D: If it is an S-51.

If none of these work, then get in and out.

Ive dived into kill / spot / damage/ assist in killing an S-51. It is completely worth it. Your life < a good S-51.
Unless its an S-51, you shouldn't try to kill them if there are people that notice you."

S-51 is the currently the best SPG in the game. I don't understand why you should only try to kill them as opposed to other artillery.

:blink:

exoriou #14 Posted Aug 02 2010 - 08:25

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Awesome guide man, i don't have Leopard tho, but A-20 and yeah, leopards are kinda pain in the a$ fro me. But i guess most of these guidelines can be used for any lights.

amade #15 Posted Aug 02 2010 - 10:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12012 battles
I reckon for the A-20 you could just detail its strengths and weaknesses just as you did for the leopard. Maybe a comparison in what it can do the Leopard can't or what it can't compete with the Leopard. Apart from that the way it and other lights ought to be played should be similar to the Leopard.

Draig #16 Posted Sep 12 2010 - 07:34

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

Lutcikaur said:

Upgrade order:

Engine > Tracks > Radio > Gun

Engine : Increases acceleration and top speed. (Extremely important)
Base : Normal Top speed is equal to a heavies. ~20km/hr. Extreme top : 35km/hr
Level 1 : Normal Top speed equal to a p4. ~45km/hr. Extreme top : 65km/hr
Level 2 (Max) : Normal Top speed equal to.. you. ~60km/hr. Extreme top : 68km/hr

Normal top speed is with slight turning involved. Numbers are estimates from my memory of a few days ago. I will test with my 100% crew , and then get a new 25% crew just to see.

Tracks: Increases acceleration and top speed. (Tested by me and nimuee)
Base : Well, you go, kinda.
Upgraded : Better turning, better speed, better acceleration. only get if best engine is researched.

Radio : Without it you cant tell your team where they are. Pretty self explanatory. Higher tier = better. you have extra weight to spare.

Gun: Dont bother with the gun until you can get the 67pen 70 dmg last tier gun.

Great guide for people looking to Scout.

I would get the suspension (tracks) before the engine though.

Because :-

It is cheaper to get the suspension, so you can get the benefits of increased acceleration and turning early. This will also allow you to go as fast as your engine will let you. This will then let you do better on the battlefield, which will let you get more xp/credits for the engine quicker.

Then buy the engine which will increase your top speed further.

I would be curious as to what second skill and upgrades you have taken for crew and equipment.

I took 2x crew with repair, 1 with firefighting and 1 with Camo.

For equipment I took Vents for +5% crew skill, +10% to view range and +15% to ramming and HE resistance. I replaced the Vents with a Camo net when the crew hit 100%

No grousers any more for Leo.

Why?

Well your guide did not cover another important playstyle choice for scouts. That is the hidden scout. I call it the Ninja Scout.  :Smile-hiding:

With the extra +10% viewrange that means you can see for 440 range while moving OR being still.

What I like to do is at the start of the game accelerate out in front of the team (depends on map) and get and hide in a bush on a flank before any enemy sees you. Your speed will let you do this. Hide in the bush and wait.

Before long enemies start to come into your view range. All sorts of enemies. You get credits for spotting them all. Your arty should now be, if they are any good and aware of your plan, raining death on them. Your heavies might also be doing the same. Because of your Camo Net and being still hidden in a bush, the enemies will probably not detect you at this time until they are much closer.

They are obviously not happy at this stage if your team is any good, and this I think is why some people rage on forum about SPG hitting them when there is no way they can see them and all that stuff. Makes me  :D

Now here is the tricky part, you now have a choice. You can either escape, back to your team, or what I most often do, is hit full speed and drive past them all while they are shitting themselves and taking cover from our side.

I am now behind a lot of the enemy and searching for Arty to kill.

Apart from tier 5 + 6 Arty you can RAM any enemy arty at full speed and kill it. Sometimes you might need 1 shot as well, so shoot him just before you hit him with the ram. This is why you take the option to resist damage from ramming :)

Most times you will be fine and can move away, sometimes you get tracked, which is why I have taken repair option for two of my crew to fix broken tracks faster.

Ramming is not my first choice, but if the Arty is defended, I sometimes choose to ram and kill him to remove the threat from my team. Total judgement call at the time. If it is the last Arty I will 99% do this to make sure, even if he has no defender.

I don't like the suicide method of scouting, but I can understand why people do it. Game only gives credit for the first person spotting the enemy, that needs to change.

Sometimes I will do what looks to some like a suicide run, but I am only looking for enemy arty. With my Leo and crew I can often make it to the big juicy enemy S51 and kill it before dying, so sometimes I take the risk. Good times when you can do it  AND get back out, but that depends on enemy and map a lot.Worst that will happen is I will die before killing him, but my arty, if they are smart will be following me and know where he is now to kill him, plus I will get the credits for the spotting of enemies.

Anyway, I am rambling now. Good Guide for Scouts!

Buzzurro #17 Posted Oct 28 2010 - 23:00

Sergeant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
great guide, thanks :D

koel76 #18 Posted Oct 29 2010 - 02:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
awesome guide m8 maybe il get a leo and see if ur guide works

dunhil #19 Posted Dec 07 2010 - 16:51

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Thks, nice guide, hesitate to upgrade to pzIII or Lunchs, maybe second option now.

diety #20 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 05:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 66 battles
After getting my Leopard and upgrading everything but the radio... working on that (I did get the spall liner), I'm really enjoying the play of it.  Was really worth the horrible grind of the Luchs, and if you played it smart, you already had one upgrade of each except for the tracks, so I really only needed to upgrade tracks, engine and working on the radio to Elite it.  I can't wait till I can afford coated optics... and the camo net 'sniper scout' idea is pretty interesting as well.  I can't wait to try it.

Anyway, thanks for the guide, I enjoyed the read!