Jump to content


Coated Optics vs Binocular Telescope


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

MagnumBK #1 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 01:43

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 21390 battles
  • 52
  • Member since:
    07-13-2013
Which piece of equipment is best to have with Camo. Net, Coated Optics or Binocular Telescope or both?

Edited by MagnumBK, Sep 25 2013 - 01:44.


Feliton #2 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 01:47

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 9519 battles
  • 328
  • Member since:
    10-08-2011
Binocular Telescope +25% View Range when tank hull is stationary for 3 seconds.
Recommended for Tank Destroyers and passive scouts.
Coated optics +10% View Range.
The bonus is applied at all times except when Binoculars are active, making this equipment better suited for aggressive and scouting players.
So if you're going to be camping use Binoculars.

Edited by Feliton, Sep 25 2013 - 01:48.


Trigback223 #3 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 01:47

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 17574 battles
  • 462
  • [GZ] GZ
  • Member since:
    03-15-2011
It depends on the tank.

Leofl #4 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 01:47

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16320 battles
  • 1,543
  • Member since:
    06-29-2013
Binos.  View plus 25 percent once you are still for 3 sec or so. Optics work on a move but only plus 10. If you snipe use binos. If you move often use optics

Leofl #5 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 01:49

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16320 battles
  • 1,543
  • Member since:
    06-29-2013
Also you can move binos from tank to tank

Comrade_Zhukov #6 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 01:57

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 10736 battles
  • 932
  • Member since:
    04-18-2011
For almost any tank, I'd go with binocs.  Even with a tank that is supposed to be on the move, you can afford to pause for the few seconds it takes for them to activate, and spotting is instantaneous.  Also, you can demount it, so one or two pairs of binocs is good for an entire garage.

Leofl #7 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 02:00

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16320 battles
  • 1,543
  • Member since:
    06-29-2013
I have coated optics on my Matilda s because I use them agressivly. All others get binos

Deusmortis #8 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 02:13

    Major

  • Veteran Testers
  • 22603 battles
  • 4,759
  • Member since:
    10-03-2010
Depends greatly on the tank, and how you use it.

Generally speaking, I prefer optics.  You don't always have the luxury of stopping to let your binics activate.  I mostly use binocs on lower tier vehicles with sub-400m view ranges.

thandiflight #9 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 02:16

    Major

  • Players
  • 72600 battles
  • 3,921
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    07-10-2011
Binoculars only work on stationary vehicles. Adds 25% to view range to a maximum of 445m. This limit is determined by the server. Technically a vehicle with a 400m view range should have a 500m view range but this does not happen as the limit is 445m. Coated optics add 10% even during movement. Thus a vehicle with a 400m view range will have a 440m view range. Add skills such as "Recon" to the commander and you achieve the maximum 445m. Thus you should consider the vehicle you are using, the manner in which you intend to use it, the maximum view range of the vehicle without the bonusses and the skills of your crew. The advantage of binocs is they are demountable without penalty, the disadvantage is that you need to be stationary.

Edited by thandiflight, Sep 25 2013 - 02:19.


MagnumBK #10 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 03:23

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 21390 battles
  • 52
  • Member since:
    07-13-2013

View PostMagnumBK, on Sep 25 2013 - 01:43, said:

Which piece of equipment is best to have with Camo. Net, Coated Optics or Binocular Telescope or both?

View PostFeliton, on Sep 25 2013 - 01:47, said:

Binocular Telescope +25% View Range when tank hull is stationary for 3 seconds.
Recommended for Tank Destroyers and passive scouts.
Coated optics +10% View Range.
The bonus is applied at all times except when Binoculars are active, making this equipment better suited for aggressive and scouting players.
So if you're going to be camping use Binoculars.

View PostTrigback223, on Sep 25 2013 - 01:47, said:

It depends on the tank.

View PostLeofl, on Sep 25 2013 - 01:47, said:

Binos.  View plus 25 percent once you are still for 3 sec or so. Optics work on a move but only plus 10. If you snipe use binos. If you move often use optics

View PostLeofl, on Sep 25 2013 - 01:49, said:

Also you can move binos from tank to tank

View PostComrade_Zhukov, on Sep 25 2013 - 01:57, said:

For almost any tank, I'd go with binocs.  Even with a tank that is supposed to be on the move, you can afford to pause for the few seconds it takes for them to activate, and spotting is instantaneous.  Also, you can demount it, so one or two pairs of binocs is good for an entire garage.

View PostLeofl, on Sep 25 2013 - 02:00, said:

I have coated optics on my Matilda s because I use them agressivly. All others get binos

View PostDeusmortis, on Sep 25 2013 - 02:13, said:

Depends greatly on the tank, and how you use it.

Generally speaking, I prefer optics.  You don't always have the luxury of stopping to let your binics activate.  I mostly use binocs on lower tier vehicles with sub-400m view ranges.

View Postthandiflight, on Sep 25 2013 - 02:16, said:

Binoculars only work on stationary vehicles. Adds 25% to view range to a maximum of 445m. This limit is determined by the server. Technically a vehicle with a 400m view range should have a 500m view range but this does not happen as the limit is 445m. Coated optics add 10% even during movement. Thus a vehicle with a 400m view range will have a 440m view range. Add skills such as "Recon" to the commander and you achieve the maximum 445m. Thus you should consider the vehicle you are using, the manner in which you intend to use it, the maximum view range of the vehicle without the bonusses and the skills of your crew. The advantage of binocs is they are demountable without penalty, the disadvantage is that you need to be stationary.
Thank you all for your great information.  It really heped.

TheBlueJelly #11 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 06:54

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 2012 battles
  • 74
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013
Remember how camo works. 445m may be the max "view" distance, but if you have a view range of 445 and someone has a camo score of more than 0%, you won't see them at 445m. So having an "effective" view range of 500m means you'll spot a 50% camo tank at 275m, while a 445m won't spot it until 247.5m (over 20m closer). The limit of 445 is not a limit on your actual view range stat (I'm fairly sure), but rather a limit to how far your view range is actually tested. It should still effect your spotting distance when camo is factored in, and considering almost anything smaller than a Heavy is (likely) going to have a non-zero Camo score at all times...
If you are TURRETED and running Camo Net, I'd say go 'nocs too, as having both gives you +25% spotting and +25% camo (which is a huge gain in BOTH your spotting AND your hiding) after holding still for 3 seconds.
If you are not running the net or are not turreted, I'd say go Optics instead (and also don't (likely) run the net). The reason for this is you aren't getting as big of a scales-tip without having the net too, and if you ain't turreted you're going to be breaking net/nocs on your own simply to aim, making them less useful.

Edited by TheBlueJelly, Sep 25 2013 - 07:04.


slayer4041 #12 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 17:18

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 12101 battles
  • 261
  • Member since:
    04-16-2013
really depends on your tank and playstyle. if you snipe in whatever tank go with binocs, but if you're a front line tank go with coated optics.

LimiterOne #13 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 19:57

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 14719 battles
  • 763
  • Member since:
    11-29-2010

View PostDeusmortis, on Sep 25 2013 - 02:13, said:

Depends greatly on the tank, and how you use it.

Generally speaking, I prefer optics.  You don't always have the luxury of stopping to let your binics activate.  I mostly use binocs on lower tier vehicles with sub-400m view ranges.

This, pretty much. I use optics on anything that has to relocate quickly on a regular basis, or just never stop moving, like my 'Kitty, my T-44, all of my heavies and lights... I use binocs on my more stationary camo-exploiting tanks like the SU-100 and -152, StuG III, and lower-tiers like my M8A1 and those I don't expect to keep for very long.

Otto_Steiner #14 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 20:12

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 34921 battles
  • 167
  • Member since:
    10-24-2011
I use Binocs on my Tiger I & my SU-122-44. GEtting very good results as I play them as sniper, mostly. This does not mean that I'm only stationary.
I use optics on most of my other tanks.

Like TheBlueJelly said, the better raw range you, the more chance you have to see someone realy, even tough you won't see beyond 445m. But your ability to spot them will be increased. So SIGHT is one of the most important factor in this game, given current camo mecahnics.

Sotaudi #15 Posted Sep 30 2013 - 23:01

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 24827 battles
  • 860
  • Member since:
    11-13-2012
Someone mentioned turreted vehicles vs. non-turreted vehicles.  Part of the reason for this is that, if you have to shift your hull position to get your target in your gun's traverse range, this counts as movement, which will reset the binoculars, causing you to have to wait three seconds for them to kick back in.  A turreted vehicle doesn't have that problem since they don't have to move their hull as often.  Thus, optics, in some circumstances, can be better for a non-turreted vehicle at shorter ranges where you may have to shift your direction more often.
On the other hand, optics is always active (except they are overridden by binocs once the binocs kick in).  Some turreted TDs, like the Hellcat, are better at moving to new positions and firing.  In such a case, optics can also be useful since they will let you see 10% further out (or, more accurately, see targets 10% sooner) when you are moving to a new position, which may keep you from moving further than you should.  Thus, in some circumstances, optics can be a choice for turreted TDs as well.
Binocs are great, especially in combination with a camo-net, if you are doing a lot of long range shooting and don't need to move much.  They will give you your greatest view range.  Optics, though, can be helpful at shorter ranges for non-turreted TDs and for turreted TDs that are moving around a lot.

TheBlueJelly #16 Posted Oct 01 2013 - 02:20

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 2012 battles
  • 74
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013
Aaaand another "Just a note" type of thing, if you plot your course carefully (as in from cover to bush to bush to cover or something in that vein), you can pause at each node and wait for your listening post to kick in. Throw Sixth Sense on top of it and that Hellcat can still make very good use of a Net'n'Nocs setup (especially with maxed Camo skills (someone in another thread referred to it as a "Romulan Cloaking Device")) in a way similar to Net'n'CO.

Personally I prefer the 'nocs, simply because that 'n' between Shoot and Scoot stands for "and then" not "while", and nocs are much better for spotting for yourself.

If I start doing TC or clan stuff I may change my tune, but for pugs I'll happily stick with my 'nocs.

olavski #17 Posted Oct 01 2013 - 02:43

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 22103 battles
  • 650
  • [TFZK] TFZK
  • Member since:
    08-11-2011
AH I see it's mentioned already.

Edited by olavski, Oct 01 2013 - 02:44.


adjutant #18 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 08:51

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 2195 battles
  • 457
  • Member since:
    11-20-2010
My little secret for the turreted line: both.

UncleDaddy #19 Posted Oct 07 2013 - 17:44

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 12000 battles
  • 470
  • Member since:
    07-24-2011
American tanks = vent + rammer + opti = win.  Camping with camo nets and binos is so 2012.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users