Combat Briefing for the New Player (AKA: What to expect from WoT)

BeginnerTips Setting the record straight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

GrimJahk #1 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:04

Captain

• Players
  • 13089 battles

POPULAR

First, Welcome to World of Tanks!
There are MANY good guides to help you understand the technical aspects of this game. ALL of them are worth reading, even if not everyone agrees on the specifics. Absorb it all, it will only help you.
The one thing lacking in this community is a guide to set expectations for new players. Expectations are a tricky thing. Everyone has them. You. Your teammates. The players on the other team.

Your expectations:
Now, I don't know YOU, but from looking at the majority of newer players I have to work with averages and statistics (without making any up on the fly)
The vast majority, I would guess over 3/4 of new players, come here thinking that WOT is a cross between Planetside and Battlezone, a fast paced shoot-em-up where the game is won by the twitchiest finger and the biggest tank. I know I did.  Well... not so much.
In fact, as you progress through the tiers, the game evolves more and more into pure tactical and strategic combat.
The biggest factors to success at end game are patience and knowledge. This game is designed to teach you that patience, -IF- you progress as you succeed. The tanks get bigger, but they move slower and shoot slower as well. Mistakes cost relatively little in lower tiers, mistakes in a tier 8 match... you die fast. PLEASE do not Fail your way to Tier 10.
Winning
We all want to win. To win, you have to outthink your opponents. Sure. It happens that there will be games that are won or lost by pure might, but the majority of the games I have played where the game was won or lost by me, was because either; I outwitted them, or they outwitted me.

Your teammates expectations:
Your teammates have a (sometimes) realistic expectation that your skill and understanding of WOT are at least even with them.
Beyond Tier 3 those expectations begin to become defined:
  • They EXPECT you to know the basics of the game (reasonable)
  • They EXPECT you to contribute to the success of the team (VERY reasonable)
Beyond Tier 5 those expectations begin to include:
  • They EXPECT you to know the role of the tank you are driving (reasonable)
At Tier 8 and above (Clan Wars capable clans and serious players)
  • They EXPECT you to begin acting as part of a team, working together (reasonable)
  • They EXPECT you to know strategies and tactics that are successful (somewhat reasonable)
I will hit on Other team player expectation in a few minutes

Where am I going with this?(Keys to success in WoT:)

Patience:
  • First to rush out on the field, is the first to die (Amazingly, this also applies to rapid ascension in tiers, but I'll get into that more later)
Situational awareness:
  • You have a minimap, use it. TRAIN yourself to use it. Think of it as your own rear view mirror while speeding down the road as you look back for cops
Understanding of the Mechanics:
  • See ALL, Read ALL, of the new player guides. They are your rifle. You are nothing without them. They accomplish nothing without you.
"Put me in coach!" (or I just bought these shiny new shoulder pads!!! I can be a linebacker for the Redskins!)
There will be temptation to rush up the tiers. Not a good plan.
There will be temptation to buy a Tier 8 premium tank. (see above)

Know this: A tier 8 premium tank is not as powerful as a fully trained/outfitted standard tier 8 tank.
You start at a disadvantage. The purpose of Tier 8 premiums is to assist Tier 9/10 players at grinding credits while training the crews of their Tier 9/10 tanks. That same player will already have a 300%+ crew to pop into that premium tank which will help offset any other disadvantages.
The ONLY reason for a new player (less than 1k battles) to buy a tier 8, is to jump into a battle with the INTENT of discovering how little they know.

Tier Difficulty
I have said this before, others have said this, you will hear it often:
---WoT is NOT a race to Tier 10---
WoT Difficulty is not linear:
  • Tier 1 = 1
  • Tier 2 = 2
  • Tier 3-4 = 4
  • Tier 5-6 = 8
  • Tier 7-8 = 16
  • Tier 9-10 = 32
As you can see, a player that is only used to tier 4 matches will be utterly lost in a Tier 8 match
Players that rush up to the upper tiers thinking that: "bigger = better = now I win more", are doomed to utter failure until they go back down and learn the basics of the game. (AND spend extra time fixing their performance stats)
Performance is a touchy subject.

Other team player expectation (And additional expectations from your team)
This is a statistics driven game. You WILL be judged by your performance on the battlefield. (War is not fair. WoT is not fair.)
Additionally, because statistics ARE a major factor in the game, there are tools that allow players to see those performance levels while in battle. So many players on both sides of the field are aware of how good/bad you are.
If you consistently perform well or poorly, expect it to affect how you are treated in game (and on the forums)
  • If you have a <46% win rate, you are actually a liability to your team, expect constant verbal abuse. (not fair, but a reality) expect the enemy to swarm you expecting an easy kill or ignore you as irrelevant
  • if you have 47-50% WR, you will be considered an average contributor
  • If you have 51-53% WR, your team may consider your feedback and/or follow your lead, opponents take you seriously
  • at 54-56% your teammates figure that you are doing something right and will work with you more, opponents may focus on taking you out first
  • 57%+ you obviously know what you are doing, you are a leader, players listen, opponents fear you and target you as biggest threat
OWN YOUR GAME
No one is out there pulling the trigger for you. If you enter a match or start a thread about "Excuse this", "Unfair that", "MM SuX" you will be laughed at, not taken seriously. No one likes a whiner. You are the only reason you perform well or poorly.
GL&HF,  See you on the battlefield (but you may not see me if I'm in my T49)

CrazyHeinz #2 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:08

Major

• Players
  • 12294 battles
Excellently done.
Posted Image

tiger61378 #3 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:16

Captain

• Players
  • 9250 battles
  • [CAR] CAR
Great work.  And well put...too bad the majority that need to read this will never come here :(

CPOSharkey #4 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16529 battles
great job.  well said.

When i first started the game I made the mistake of trying to climb tiers...thinking that I would survive more...be more feared etc  with just a bigger tank...   Of course I didnt have your topic to read first!

Honestly,  even though I have tier 9 now....I really enjoy playing tier 6/7 battles.  you can get good equipment at that tier..and have a fun match.   The Pubs are not so noobish as to always drive you crazy by that point.  I go back and revisit tanks I didnt do so well with during my climb...and see if I can drive them better with the new experiences.

der_Eisen_Jager #5 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:17

Captain

• Players
  • 10787 battles
best I've read, well put!

Codraith #6 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4191 battles
Well said.

I personally didn't come into the game expecting some fast pace tank action (though the ELC does give that), the biggest thing I personally wanted from WoT was the fact that each round is one life, meaning I'm never bashing my head against the wall of great players whom kill me before I can do anything.

Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 #7 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 17:47

Major

• Players
  • 13705 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO
GrimJahk

Some really good information here for new players..hope some read and take it to heart.

The only thing I would say is that in my experience..all of that expected behaviour is completely absent in those higher tiers.

My expectations for the higher tier play was based on much of what you outlined here...but my experience at these higher tiers has been the opposite. I personally took my time getting my first T8 and T9...tried to get a solid hold on the mechanics as well as the weak points of all the new tanks I would face...

In my experience there are many skilled players at higher tiers.. but the major things you mentioned:

At Tier 8 and above
They EXPECT you to begin acting as part of a team, working together (reasonable)
They EXPECT you to know strategies and tactics that are successful (somewhat reasonable)

That was my expectation..but alas this is totally not the case...if anything..there seems a rather..."you're on your own" feeling with most of my experience at these levels...this is made even more evident when facing those who do platoon as they do follow more of what you outline...but in your typical Random...its pretty much a free for all.

All that said...its still a very good post.  +1 for you...

GrimJahk #8 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 18:25

Captain

• Players
  • 13089 battles

View PostHanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42, on Sep 27 2013 - 17:47, said:

My expectations for the higher tier play was based on much of what you outlined here...but my experience at these higher tiers has been the opposite. I personally took my time getting my first T8 and T9...tried to get a solid hold on the mechanics as well as the weak points of all the new tanks I would face...

In my experience there are many skilled players at higher tiers.. but the major things you mentioned:

At Tier 8 and above
They EXPECT you to begin acting as part of a team, working together (reasonable)
They EXPECT you to know strategies and tactics that are successful (somewhat reasonable)

That was my expectation..but alas this is totally not the case...if anything..there seems a rather..."you're on your own" feeling with most of my experience at these levels...this is made even more evident when facing those who do platoon as they do follow more of what you outline...but in your typical Random...its pretty much a free for all.

All that said...its still a very good post.  +1 for you...

Thanks!

I was unclear as to the point of reference (I will fix it)

For pub matches unfortunately you are quite correct.

For the serious players that are after reaching the End-Game and participation in Clan Wars, the above still holds true.

I wrote this with those players in mind.

The casual, "I just wanna blow stuff up" fits into the majority of players that, on the whole, will not be coming here to grow or fix bad habits.

That being said: If you have those two skills at tier 8, you WILL win more than not having them, because there will be players or platoons that present the opportunity to make a difference.

DaddyTin #9 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 19:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24935 battles
  • [GLION] GLION
Great read.
Having played alot of Avalon Hill and SPI boardgames, the tanks and tactics in WoT are wonderful reminders of those previous games some 30 years and more ago.
I picked up WoT and in two weeks bought my first premium, the IS-6, Matilda, T-127, and Tetrarch on my third week of tanking.  The Tier 8 experience was more of a support-the-team play than the aggressive Teir III of the T-127, I assure you.  But the learning that occured in the IS-6 was immeasurable.  Like, which tanks to NOT try to hit because I wasn't going to do more than ding anyway.  Also, when to be counted on by the team to close with the IS-6 armor, allowing the team to blast those taking shots at my location.
First and foremost, the best experience in the game comes with a plan of play.  Without a plan (expectations in the OP), you are an arcade character in a maze of unseen walls and turns.  You won't get out alive.  With a plan, you have the greater chance at success and learning.
The greatest degree of learning occurs with the greatest degree of uncertainty.  While racing through levels doesn't support retention of any learning, staying imbedded in a level doesn't support learning, either.  Explore some, but keep a base of operations you can recover personaly, can renew your player spirit, and enjoy some success.  Take a risk occassionally.
Measure your advancement by the rate of improvement in your Noobmeter graphs, not in the snapshot of your all-time WR/WN7.

Edited by DaddyTin, Sep 27 2013 - 19:16.

Mekata #10 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 21:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11638 battles
Well said, but as others have said before me. The ones who really need to read this never will  :amazed:

Also +1 to the OP

Lert #11 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 21:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43423 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH
+1. Great read. 10/10, would read again.

Would you mind if I put a link to this in my own guides thread?

GrimJahk #12 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 21:32

Captain

• Players
  • 13089 battles

View PostLert, on Sep 27 2013 - 21:31, said:

+1. Great read. 10/10, would read again.

Would you mind if I put a link to this in my own guides thread?

Thank you,

I would be honored.

Lert #13 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 21:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43423 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH

View PostGrimJahk, on Sep 27 2013 - 21:32, said:

I would be honored.
Done.

Spanktankk #14 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 21:42

Major

• Players
  • 32077 battles
  • [KFB] KFB
DEVS please consider putting a version of this on the Beginners Tutorials..maybe a MANDATORY "pass through" video?
Spank
+1 OP.  Best read all week.  99.9% agree.

Mekata #15 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 21:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11638 battles

View PostSpanktankk, on Sep 27 2013 - 21:42, said:

DEVS please consider putting a version of this on the Beginners Tutorials..maybe a MANDATORY "pass through" video?
Spank

This

GrimJahk #16 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 23:11

Captain

• Players
  • 13089 battles

Spank

TY very much.

My only request around that would be that it lives in this forum. This is neither a guide nor a tutorial.

This is just a starting point towards asking the questions that will lead the new players to those guides and tutorials.

Beginners come here first. I think it will do more good here.

Nihtwaco #17 Posted Sep 27 2013 - 23:23

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 37018 battles
  • [DSA] DSA
Copied to Note pad for future use.

This is my version written over the last couple years.

World of Tanks Basic Rules

1. Gain and Maintain Contact

2. Fix Enemy in Place

3. Kill the Weakest First

4. Kill any Scouts and the Arty

5. CAP or Kill Remainder of enemy Team.

6. Do not Harm, Get in the Way of or Interfere with Higher Ranked Members of Your Own

team while doing  1 through 5 above.

Vehicle spacing should be far enough apart to avoid any chance of contact between

Vehicles. 4 Vehicle widths and 3 to 4 Lengths are good in open country half that in tight

quarters. Any less adds the risk of one large arty shell damaging several tanks at once

and constrains movement by leaders when they back up during reloading. To Many collisions

result from faster Light and Medium tanks passing too close to Heavy Tanks and Tank

Destroyers when moving out of the Initial drop Zones.

My Thoughts on Kills is this the Game Pays for Damage done and for winning. I like to get

kills but the Faster my team can eliminate as many sets of eyes and Guns watching the

Battlefield the Better. If you have the Shot take it. This goes with 3 Above if you have

a Flank shot at a Heavy 3 other teammates have been pounding the front of with little

effect that heavy in that moment is the weakest link in the enemy team. Hit his engine or

turret side repeat until he is down.

As to Map patterns they change with every battle. I tend to edge hug the Game walls and

advance looking for long range flank shots. If it comes to a Corner Fight first one to

Corner holds and Maintains contact. Only One other is needed there everyone else look to

Flank the Group Blocked at the Corner.

Try to Remember where targets were last seen and Probable movement routes both in Advance

and Retreat. If you have back-up Move to Light them Up, Knock Trees over to attract

attention and Clear fields of Fire/View. Always have a retreat / relocation plan ready to

execute. If you do not trust your back-Up skulk in dark areas looking for good shots.

Take a shot and move back while reloading move a little to the Side and Repeat. Point

targets out to your arty when you have tracked them.

Learn where arty hides even a heavy can sneak in and cause havoc in the Arty Park.

I tend to work the Weak flank in the Assault The rule one is always find the Enemy First

Before your position is Flanked. If there is no team member in an area the enemy has 5

heavies moving through there unless they are all accounted for elsewhere.

Try not to Turn to kill a Light fast tank when enemy heavies will thus be on your flank.

Point your turret at him and back away from the Heavies he was spotting for. If your

attack is well layered the Follow on mediums should take him out. If not take a shot but

Mind the Mini-Map it will Tell you where disaster is Looming. Keep the Heavies Lit up and

engage to damage or track them as your Gun/Ammo combination allows.

Roles

Lights find targets Track Them then kill if feasable.

Mediums Should run in Packs cover the Flanks Look for weak targets to Kill fast then go

to work  on the Heavies.

Heavies 2 Roles One Push in a large group destroying all before them. Two Long range

cover from the Flanks.

TD Area Denial, Force the Enemy to Look for other routes. Shoot them in the side when

they turn to escape.

Arty Pinpoint destruction of targets which have been slowed or tracked in the Open. Long

range harrasing fire by light guns into areas which may have TD's in Hiding and Arty.

Dead zone coverage if a suitable position can be gained to fire behind hills Best done

with dedicated Spotters but blind fire can have good results pushing tanks out into open

view.

I burn a lot of ammo knocking things down to expose targets for others. I am a Long term

Premium Player with a Massive garage full of Vehicles 211 at last count.  With Premium I

feel an Obligation to look out for the Team first My win rate and Hit Percentage are

lower than they could be partly because of that and the fact I ground many tanks up from

fifty Percent crews when we first came out of Beta.
Do not be afraid of Spending Credits and Later Gold to Train your crews up to 75% for

Credits or 100% for Gold it makes a huge Difference in how well your tank handles. The

Barracks is your Friend before you buy a tank make a plan to put a 100% crew in it. With

Gold that can be at vehicle purchase. With Credits it is getting a second crew for a

lower tier tank in the Same development line on the Tech Tree. Train them up and when you

buy the New tank you have a highly skilled crew to retrain for the New tank if they are

at  or over 100% they can be retrained for credits to 90% skill level with credits.

Beware of different crew Positions when doing this as there are many missmatches as you

go up the Tiers. Once a tank is eleted by researching all the Modules and Follow on

Vehicles there is a check box over the Crew Portraits in the Garage check it, it doubles

the Crew training rate.

On Modules and Equipment Try everything. Build a business plan for your vehicle

development. This is partial limited by whether or not you wish to spend real money on

the Game world. There are contests which pay out in gold to help those who do not have

real money to spend on the Game take advantage of these. The World of Tanks website

advertises most such offers. If Limited to the Starting set of Garage slots Plan

carefully so when you reach Tier X you have at least one good Money making Tier V or Tier

VI in your garage to help pay the Credit cost of the High Tier tank battles.

So do not despair. Focus on Situational awareness and once you have a target get a string

of hits on it. Help others see the battlefield Both Spotting and Damage pay in XP and

Credits try to end up in the top five for XP on your team. Learn to use the After game

result pages to analyze what happened.

And Above all Else have a good time.

1stKnight #18 Posted Sep 28 2013 - 07:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13964 battles
1.  Fastest Internet Speed wins.  (Accept it)
2.  Best computer wins.  (Get over it)
3.  You will be placed in games you have no chance of winning (unless the guy in the E-100 crawling towards your VK 4502 A is one step below an idiot, crossed eyed, and getting yelled at by his wife) either accept it or find a different game.
4.  In Tier 10 game you will find out it was your fault that the team lost in your VK 4502 A (even if you break 3000 damage)

1Hellbringer #19 Posted Sep 29 2013 - 03:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11856 battles
  • [A-F] A-F
Great read friend, glad I've gotten to know you!

Edited by 1Hellbringer, Sep 29 2013 - 05:50.

OmegaEpsilon #20 Posted Sep 29 2013 - 06:10

Major

• Players
  • 15696 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

Spank

Yes Please!

Excellent writeup.

Also tagged with BeginnerTips, Setting the record straight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users