Fire Lights Up Friendlies?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

Darkbee2Bee #1 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:00

Major

• Players
  • 14551 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
I ran into a game a week or so ago where some guy was ragin' because he go shot on the front-line of Campnovka and he blamed me saying that my firing from the spawn lit up allies, himself included.

First off, he was mistaken because I didn't fire randomly on the spawn.  I never do.  It seems pointless to me.  Apparently, he had made up his mind that he was going to rage on me.  I watched the replay, which confirmed that he was mistaken.

My real question is though, does his claim have any basis in reality?  Can firing cause your allies to be spotted?  I thought that the only time firing might put your allies in danger is if they're right next to (near) you and you get spotted upon firing, then the enemy hits the ally by chance in an attempt to hit you (even though that ally may not have actually been spotted).  Can allies actually be lit up by your fire if they're close enough to you?

In this particular case he was at least 50 meters away from me  (if not more), so I'd hardly call that "next to" me, and even then the fact that I didn't actually fire as he claims seems to indicate he's a moron.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Nithydux #2 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:02

Major

• Players
  • 9672 battles
In reality, if you get lit firing next to an ally, that ally may get hit by return fire from the enemy.

Otherwise that ally was a raging idiot trying to throw the blame for him going out of cover and getting shot on someone else.

CrazyHeinz #3 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:04

Major

• Players
  • 10298 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
If I am full camo'd and hidden and you pull up along side me and fire, it may (depending on view range, your camo, etc.) illuminate you.

Guess where people shoot at? The illuminated target. Guess where the rounds go? Everywhere. So I get shot because you were either too big, non-camouflaged, or firing.

No bueno.

Franz_Schubert #4 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:05

Captain

• Players
  • 7127 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC
he's an idiot and if you run into him again point him to this thread
when you fire two things happen
1. your personal base camo goes down to a specified amount
2. any bushes within 15m stop providing cover FOR YOU for 3 seconds.
that is all.
so if the above two things are enough to reduce your camo to a point where the enemy can spot you, you will get spotted.
furthermore, if you sit next to a friendly that's not spotted, and someone takes a shot at you and hit them instead, they will damage them but they will not light up.

Edited by Franz_Schubert, Oct 02 2013 - 14:06.

Yoko_Littner #5 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7424 battles
Just a random question , its something i thought off , what if you were spotted and ran behind an ally that has his full camo on ? will you 'disappear' or will they still see you but keep firing at your poor ally thats still in camo ?

Umka #6 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23546 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostYoko_Littner, on Oct 02 2013 - 14:13, said:

Just a random question , its something i thought off , what if you were spotted and ran behind an ally that has his full camo on ? will you 'disappear' or will they still see you but keep firing at your poor ally thats still in camo ?

They will still see you as target and your ally will die. I hate people doing it >.<

1SLUGGO1 #7 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:33

Major

• Players
  • 18608 battles
  • [NPEEK] NPEEK

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Oct 02 2013 - 14:00, said:

I ran into a game a week or so ago where some guy was ragin' because he go shot on the front-line of Campnovka...

As others have said, this is incorrect.  But I must ask, where is the "front line" you are referring to?

SuckerPuncher #8 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25298 battles
  • [SG] SG

View PostFranz_Schubert, on Oct 02 2013 - 14:05, said:

2. any bushes within 15m stop providing cover FOR YOU for 3 seconds.
that is all.
Where exactly did you get that one from?   The wiki says nothing about it being only for the firing tank.
"However, as soon as tank 1 fires its gun, the environment bonuses within the 15m radius no longer stack. Instead, only the bonus from the bush with the highest camouflage bonus is taken into account. In addition, the bonus from that bush is reduced to 30% of its original value, so 0.3 * X. Bonuses from environment outside of the 15m radius stack as usual."
http://wiki.worldoft...nics#Camouflage
I read it as the camo for bushes no longer works within 15m of the shot.

Wombat_ #9 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 14:57

Captain

• Players
  • 15552 battles
  • [PRAV] PRAV
Yes, fire lights up all friendlies within 15m. And no, they do not fire at the person shooting first. I have been killed on a number of occasions because someone drove up next to me where I was hiding and fired at the enemy. Once a light is lit they are the first target.

Read the spotting rules. The effect of your firing and cover is for all friendlies within 15m, not just yourself.

Darkbee2Bee #10 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 15:02

Major

• Players
  • 14551 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

View Post1SLUGGO1, on Oct 02 2013 - 14:33, said:

As others have said, this is incorrect. But I must ask, where is the "front line" you are referring to?

I say "front line" just because in my limited experience he was about as far forward as you would dare go unless you wanted to suiscout.  We were in the in north and it was the last set of wooden barricades before you YOLO out into the field. I'd have to look at the replay again but I believe he crashed through the wooden barricade and was sitting in the bush. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone with a good crew and binocs could have spotted him.

Spoiler                     

My goal of posting was just to make sure I have my facts straight for future reference. I try to avoid verbal confrontation as I'm here to play the game not get into verbal sparring matches, but from what I'm reading here it seems this guy was just being an idiot: He got caught out by his own carelessness and wanted someone else to blame it on. I'm not inclined to put up with such d-baggery (since he kept going on in chat throughout the game after that).

1SLUGGO1 #11 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 15:09

Major

• Players
  • 18608 battles
  • [NPEEK] NPEEK

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Oct 02 2013 - 15:02, said:

I say "front line" just because in my limited experience he was about as far forward as you would dare go unless you wanted to suiscout.  We were in the in north and it was the last set of wooden barricades before you YOLO out into the field. I'd have to look at the replay again but I believe he crashed through the wooden barricade and was sitting in the bush. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone with a good crew and binocs could have spotted him.

Spoiler                     

My goal of posting was just to make sure I have my facts straight for future reference. I try to avoid verbal confrontation as I'm here to play the game not get into verbal sparring matches, but from what I'm reading here it seems this guy was just being an idiot: He got caught out by his own carelessness and wanted someone else to blame it on. I'm not inclined to put up with such d-baggery (since he kept going on in chat throughout the game after that).

Don't need binocs to detect a tank that exits the shallow ditch there.  I use my T20 to peek out from there and can spot across the field, but in doing so, get spotted myself.  Of course, this is in a tier 7/8/9 match, where many tanks have pretty good to excellent view ranges.  Lower tiers and light tanks can get away with sticking out further.

Darkbee2Bee #12 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 15:22

Major

• Players
  • 14551 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
Actually... I take back what I said... there is no question at all that this guy is an idiot, that is not in doubt.  Particularly since I did not fire upon spawn as he claims and when I did fire he was significantly further than 15m away from me.
fix me
What is in doubt is whether firing illuminates nearby allies and the initial consensus seemed to indicate no but later posts seem to indicate yes.  In any case, it would seem "best practice" to not camp/snipe right next to an ally and to ensure that you're always more than 15m away.
fix me
Thanks for the responses.

Edited by Darkbee2Bee, Oct 02 2013 - 15:23.

kittikat #13 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 15:31

Major

• Players
  • 6668 battles
  • [FOXEY] FOXEY

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Oct 02 2013 - 14:47, said:

Where exactly did you get that one from?   The wiki says nothing about it being only for the firing tank.
"However, as soon as tank 1 fires its gun, the environment bonuses within the 15m radius no longer stack. Instead, only the bonus from the bush with the highest camouflage bonus is taken into account. In addition, the bonus from that bush is reduced to 30% of its original value, so 0.3 * X. Bonuses from environment outside of the 15m radius stack as usual."

It only effects the tank which fired. We've done multiple training room tests to determine this, as it's been discussed over a gazijillionaireasaurus amounts of times in the past.

Skuttles1 #14 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 15:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 649 battles
War is Hell ,but 10 year old Team mates can be worst

Franz_Schubert #15 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 16:20

Captain

• Players
  • 7127 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC

View Postkittikatt, on Oct 02 2013 - 15:31, said:

It only effects the tank which fired. We've done multiple training room tests to determine this, as it's been discussed over a gazijillionaireasaurus amounts of times in the past.

this

firing your gun only affects you

when you "fire" you do dont "light anyone up" other than yourself.

I've spent man times sitting stillin a bush while someone sat next to me and unloaded, only to be shot dead while i continued to sit there.

Franz_Schubert #16 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 16:26

Captain

• Players
  • 7127 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Oct 02 2013 - 14:47, said:

it also says nothing about whether it affects other tanks.

Wombat_ #17 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 20:41

Captain

• Players
  • 15552 battles
  • [PRAV] PRAV
You know it could all be coincidence. If a tank pulls up to me while I am hiding and fires, and he is spotted, the enemy shoots at him and hits me. That is plausible. I was in the Arctic the other night and took a shot at an Su100, and killed an invisible hellcat that was directly inline between us.