Jump to content


KV-2 - GUN and AMMO - recommendations?

KV-2

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

5tgb #1 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:09

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 29680 battles
  • 495
  • Member since:
    05-29-2013
I have recently started playing my KV-2, fully upgraded.

I am having some trouble adapting to the 'weird' playstyle required with this tank and wanted some advice from experienced, successful KV-2 drivers.

With the 152 I get a very close range, once in a blue moon, blast of a shot that might or might not penetrate.  If it does, then it likely will kill anything at tier V or VI, and do some serious damage to anything higher (if it penetrates).

But, more often than not, I get either a complete miss or I don't penetrate and end up tracking the opponent (at best).

The accuracy sucks, the reload and aim time too.  Then, of course, there isn't any armor (for a tier VI) and virtually the worst gun depression in the world, plus a huge pimple of a turret just begging to be shot.

Somehow, I am not feeling the joy of this tank.

(Funnily enough, I am winning with it - about 70% WR - but not doing it justice or contributing meaningfully to my team).

So, I am asking for advice on the gun choice and ammo preferences.  I am pretty clear on how to play in city maps, but wonder what to do in open maps.

(And, before you advise this... I have already elited my T-150 and am also grinding a KV-1S).

CaptianSparkIez #2 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:11

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 9101 battles
  • 842
  • Member since:
    04-03-2011
152 is the derp right?

Edited by warnedkillerx66, Oct 02 2013 - 18:12.


futureSEAL #3 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:12

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14053 battles
  • 1,583
  • Member since:
    05-16-2012

View Postwarnedkillerx66, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:11, said:

152 is the derp right?
No, that's the 2013 mm.

Lert #4 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:15

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44693 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
152 with HE. If you want to use the 107, drive T-150 instead, it's a far better platform for that gun.

Swift_Justice #5 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:15

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 8518 battles
  • 40
  • Member since:
    11-26-2011
107

CaptianSparkIez #6 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:16

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 9101 battles
  • 842
  • Member since:
    04-03-2011

View PostfutureSEAL, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:12, said:

No, that's the 2013 mm.
i cant know all the guns in the game...Thats to hard D:

DeadlyDays #7 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:20

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 12871 battles
  • 737
  • [D-INC] D-INC
  • Member since:
    10-19-2010
With the KV2 you want to have an even distribution of ammo. In the beginning of the game you want to be with the snipers typically, and you lob HE shells at nonmoving targets, since 8.6 it is plenty accurate to hit targets 400m away. Don't be afraid to lob HE shells in the KV2, I've hit targets outside render distance(map and guesswork) exactly where I thought they'd be, and even if you don't pen with HE, you are doing a bunch of module/crew damage as well as a decent sum of damage. And there is always the chances of penning someone as HE doesn't lose pen over distance. Once people start dropping off(dieing), you'll want to move to a spot where you can keep doing damage and generally from the sides of the enemy(since there are a lot of people at your tier and lower you can pen from the rear or sides with HE) Once it starts looking like tanks are going to be engaging you at close range, figure out what types of tanks they are and if your normal HE can pen them, if not and your HEAT or AP shells can pen them, switch to HEAT/AP, otherwise if HEAT or AP can't pen them, switch back to HE and aim for their gun(or tracks if it looks like you can back into hard cover to reload).

Edited by DeadlyDays, Oct 02 2013 - 18:23.


Lert #8 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:26

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44693 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
KV-2 152 doesn't get HEAT anymore. Just 110mm pen AP, 136mm pen premium AP and 83mm pen HE.

yoater #9 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:29

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 14699 battles
  • 551
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011

View PostDeadlyDays, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:20, said:

With the KV2 you want to have an even distribution of ammo. In the beginning of the game you want to be with the snipers typically, and you lob HE shells at nonmoving targets, since 8.6 it is plenty accurate to hit targets 400m away. Don't be afraid to lob HE shells in the KV2, I've hit targets outside render distance(map and guesswork) exactly where I thought they'd be, and even if you don't pen with HE, you are doing a bunch of module/crew damage as well as a decent sum of damage. And there is always the chances of penning someone as HE doesn't lose pen over distance. Once people start dropping off(dieing), you'll want to move to a spot where you can keep doing damage and generally from the sides of the enemy(since there are a lot of people at your tier and lower you can pen from the rear or sides with HE) Once it starts looking like tanks are going to be engaging you at close range, figure out what types of tanks they are and if your normal HE can pen them, if not and your HEAT or AP shells can pen them, switch to HEAT/AP, otherwise if HEAT or AP can't pen them, switch back to HE and aim for their gun(or tracks if it looks like you can back into hard cover to reload).

Heat...? In the KV-2? No heat there. Best ap you can get for the 152 is 136mm, waste of credits to be firing it imo.



View Post5tgb, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:09, said:

I have recently started playing my KV-2, fully upgraded.

I am having some trouble adapting to the 'weird' playstyle required with this tank and wanted some advice from experienced, successful KV-2 drivers.

With the 152 I get a very close range, once in a blue moon, blast of a shot that might or might not penetrate. If it does, then it likely will kill anything at tier V or VI, and do some serious damage to anything higher (if it penetrates).

But, more often than not, I get either a complete miss or I don't penetrate and end up tracking the opponent (at best).

The accuracy sucks, the reload and aim time too. Then, of course, there isn't any armor (for a tier VI) and virtually the worst gun depression in the world, plus a huge pimple of a turret just begging to be shot.

Somehow, I am not feeling the joy of this tank.

(Funnily enough, I am winning with it - about 70% WR - but not doing it justice or contributing meaningfully to my team).

So, I am asking for advice on the gun choice and ammo preferences. I am pretty clear on how to play in city maps, but wonder what to do in open maps.

(And, before you advise this... I have already elited my T-150 and am also grinding a KV-1S).


What % is your crew at? If they aren't 100 you're going to miss and have longer than 21s reload.

DeadlyDays #10 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:33

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 12871 battles
  • 737
  • [D-INC] D-INC
  • Member since:
    10-19-2010
lawl, ok its been awhile since I actually looked at what type of ammo it was, but same difference, load a 2/1/1 loadout and learn the armor values of all the tanks you'll be facing so you know what ammo to use in close range, and spam HE at long range.

Patton5150 #11 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:34

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19675 battles
  • 953
  • Member since:
    06-20-2011
152 with HE.  No point in playing the KV-2 if you don't want to use the 152.

Kinmonestie #12 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:36

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 15033 battles
  • 92
  • [DK] DK
  • Member since:
    06-24-2011

View PostfutureSEAL, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:12, said:

No, that's the 2013 mm.
404 error. Funny file not found.

Dunfalach #13 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 18752 battles
  • 4,802
  • [S-F] S-F
  • Member since:
    01-07-2012
I run mine with mostly HE rounds, and a few HEAT that I almost never use. On open maps, I set up like a tank destroyer most of the time, lobbing long range shells at whatever tank is nice enough to sit still for me. Once you get used to the 152, you can do more with mobile targets, but it really excels at stationary ones that let you line it up and zoom in fully. In tier 6 matches, I often avoid leading even in cities, and instead trundle behind a good leader, avoiding attention and working my way into position to eliminate threats that would bog down the lead tanks. Side and rear shots can be utterly devastating with the HE round. I've 1-shotted full health SU-122-44s in the side, and a Jagdpanther in the rear. I've had 1 shell create as many as 5 different module damages/crew injuries on a target, which even if it doesn't kill it can seriously compromise its effectiveness.

I personally recommend getting Sixth Sense on it as soon as possible, because knowing whether the enemy knows you're there or not is a big deal with a tank that has such a long aim time and is such a big target. You only get to throw a few shells per match, so it's important to try to make them count and use them on high value targets as much as possible. And while kills are fun, don't be afraid to spread your shells around to damage multiple targets and let your teammates finish them off if your teammates are putting up a good level of fire.

Dunfalach #14 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:51

    Major

  • Players
  • 18752 battles
  • 4,802
  • [S-F] S-F
  • Member since:
    01-07-2012
In fact, I use anything other than HE so rarely that I forgot they didn't have HEAT anymore. :D

My KV-2 crew is at 275% now.

Commander - Sixth Sense - Recon
Gunner - Repairs - Snapshot
Driver - Repairs - Smooth Ride
Radio - Repairs - Situational Awareness
Loader - Repairs - Intuition
Loader - Repairs - Safe Stowage

I'd ditch the Intuition if I had the gold, since I don't switch ammo enough to justify it. I'd probably go with Adrenaline Rush instead.

heavymetal1967 #15 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 18:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 70283 battles
  • 20,240
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

View PostLert, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:15, said:

152 with HE. If you want to use the 107, drive T-150 instead, it's a far better platform for that gun.

This and tote all HE.  Also you don't have to be up close all the time as you can do some sniping in it with the derp in the right circumstances.

Lert #16 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:09

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44693 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostDeadlyDays, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:33, said:

lawl, ok its been awhile since I actually looked at what type of ammo it was
200mm pen HEAT was deemed 'overpowered' and removed a few patches back, replaced by a 136 pen AP shell which, IMO is really not worth it. HE all the way.

Iosis #17 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:13

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 21060 battles
  • 532
  • [SRB] SRB
  • Member since:
    03-25-2012
152 mm HE ammo.
With that and lucky shots you can one shot KV-2 KV-1S, ARL44, side shot to Tiger and Tiger 2 for 700+ dmg.
It was better woth HEAT, but they must nerf all good tanks in this game.

5tgb #18 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 20:20

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 29680 battles
  • 495
  • Member since:
    05-29-2013
Thanks for the advice - 152 with HE all the way!

I just completed my best battle yet with this beast - winning a defense of an Erlenberg assault, with a Kolobanov's medal, 2800+ damage (50% of which came on the last three shots of the game... 3 one-shot kills).

It is very different than any other tank I have played yet, but I can see where it can be fun under the right circumstances.

Valundar #19 Posted Oct 03 2013 - 16:04

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 35900 battles
  • 257
  • [DHO] DHO
  • Member since:
    07-29-2012
it is by far the funnest tank ive played.

483% crew.

19.83 sec reload. DOOOOM cannon.

I agree that 6th sense is a must for this(actually ANY) tank.. but especially this one.

Remember, to aim fully whenever possible.. i even wait a sec or so longer after the bloom stops. (roll out at 5 sec or so left on reload, so you dont waste reload time.)

HE DOOOMCANNON!!!!!

fsjd #20 Posted Oct 04 2013 - 03:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 10353 battles
  • 5,248
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    02-26-2011
I sold it off for the money a while back, but man it was fun.
consistent tier 8 level damage to everything you see.
be warned: troll guns troll both ways. you will miss a point blank shot right after you lad a beyond-view-range penetrating oneshot on something.





Also tagged with KV-2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users