KV-2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

Buff_Rumblecrunch #21 Posted Oct 04 2013 - 03:58

Major

• Players
  • 18782 battles
  • [FEL0N] FEL0N
Once HEAT was removed from it, it went back to being a 100% HE or go home load out.

Hyrule27 #22 Posted Nov 16 2013 - 05:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47430 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
HE
HE
HE
HE
and...................
HE

all with the 152mm Gun

:trollface::trollface:

Frostopper #23 Posted Nov 16 2013 - 05:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17417 battles
  • [S0R] S0R
Eh, load a half-dozen AP rounds for when you KNOW you can pen the entire opposition without difficulty.

Otherwise, HE all the way.

mattwong #24 Posted Nov 16 2013 - 05:24

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

View Post5tgb, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:09, said:

I have recently started playing my KV-2, fully upgraded.

I am having some trouble adapting to the 'weird' playstyle required with this tank and wanted some advice from experienced, successful KV-2 drivers.

With the 152 I get a very close range, once in a blue moon, blast of a shot that might or might not penetrate.  If it does, then it likely will kill anything at tier V or VI, and do some serious damage to anything higher (if it penetrates).

But, more often than not, I get either a complete miss or I don't penetrate and end up tracking the opponent (at best).

You don't need to get to very close range.  In fact, the KV-2 is better at mid-range in many ways, because enemies can't just rush over and kill you while you're reloading.

The accuracy sucks, the reload and aim time too.  Then, of course, there isn't any armor (for a tier VI) and virtually the worst gun depression in the world, plus a huge pimple of a turret just begging to be shot.

Somehow, I am not feeling the joy of this tank.

(Funnily enough, I am winning with it - about 70% WR - but not doing it justice or contributing meaningfully to my team).

So, I am asking for advice on the gun choice and ammo preferences.  I am pretty clear on how to play in city maps, but wonder what to do in open maps.

(And, before you advise this... I have already elited my T-150 and am also grinding a KV-1S).

OK, here are the basic rules:

1: Only use the 152mm derp gun.  It's the only reason this tank exists, since the T-150 is a far superior platform for the 107mm gun.

2: Only fire HE rounds.  Ignore anyone who tells you to fire AP rounds.  With the KV-2's abysmal accuracy, you cannot hit weak spots, and with its abysmal reload time, you can't afford to waste shots.

3: Always wait for the aim circle to shrink all the way.

4: Only use a maxed-out crew.  If you're running a 75% crew on that tank, you're asking for trouble.

5: Always hide behind hard cover while reloading.

6: Don't be afraid to take a shot at long range if you see an opportunity.  While a long-range hit is unlikely, your gun's damage is largely unaffected by range.

7: Prioritize bigger, slower, more heavily armoured tanks.  Your gun can reliably hurt those tanks even when many of your teammates' guns can't.  Also, they are easier to hit.  And finally, they are often overconfident in their armour and will sit still long enough for your aim to settle.  This policy will generate the most benefit to your team.  There are many situations in which a KV-2 can hurt an enemy while his tier 7 or even tier 8 teammates cannot.  I've sat beyond detection range and blasted repeatedly at a hull-down T32 until he lost his nerve and abandoned his defensive position (and got killed by my teammates while trying to escape).

8: As mentioned previously, try to fight at mid-range.  At mid-range, you can still reliably hit enemies if you wait for the gun to settle, and it's much less likely that they will come charging after you once you fire.

KGBNinja #25 Posted Nov 16 2013 - 05:26

Captain

• Players
  • 5811 battles

View PostDunfalach, on Oct 02 2013 - 18:51, said:

In fact, I use anything other than HE so rarely that I forgot they didn't have HEAT anymore. :D

My KV-2 crew is at 275% now.

Commander - Sixth Sense - Recon
Gunner - Repairs - Snapshot
Driver - Repairs - Smooth Ride
Radio - Repairs - Situational Awareness
Loader - Repairs - Intuition
Loader - Repairs - Safe Stowage

I'd ditch the Intuition if I had the gold, since I don't switch ammo enough to justify it. I'd probably go with Adrenaline Rush instead.

I took eagle eye just to see what kind-of derping I did to my enemy :D

simcan #26 Posted Nov 18 2013 - 15:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 6958 battles
I guess I'm the oddball, I prefer the 107. It's funny to see people rush you trying to get the kill while you're reloading, only to find a loaded gun taking another shot.

mattwong #27 Posted Nov 18 2013 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

View Postsimcan, on Nov 18 2013 - 15:42, said:

I guess I'm the oddball, I prefer the 107. It's funny to see people rush you trying to get the kill while you're reloading, only to find a loaded gun taking another shot.

True, but there is literally zero reason to use the KV-2 as a platform for the 107mm gun, when the T-150 has a lower profile and better armour, and mounts the same gun at the same tier.  Also, the 152mm derp can reliably damage a T28 from the front: a feat which is nearly impossible for the 107mm gun.

ShotOfDeath #28 Posted Nov 19 2013 - 07:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 10974 battles
King of derp all the ways.
Just go full HE, or load few AP for tier 5 tanks.
All crews go BIA 1st, buy vent, ram and your have 19s load each shot.
God help them when 152mm pen.

simcan #29 Posted Nov 19 2013 - 07:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 6958 battles
Okay I didn't want to say this but I suck with derp guns. And I'm only hanging on to the kv-2 to cross over to arty. Because yes it does suck as a 107 platform. I prefer higher ROF with better pen guns but i play arty cause it pisses people off. ;)

Valundar #30 Posted Nov 19 2013 - 16:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 36395 battles
  • [DHO] DHO

View PostShotOfDeath, on Nov 19 2013 - 07:03, said:

King of derp all the ways.
Just go full HE, or load few AP for tier 5 tanks.
All crews go BIA 1st, buy vent, ram and your have 19s load each shot.
God help them when 152mm pen.
1st skill on Commander for EVERY tank in this game is 6th sense.  KV-2 is no exception.
This game is won/lost via vision control. There is no better skill to aid you in vision control than 6th sense.

1st skill for other crew is repairs.

Its gotten to the point that i hate driving any tank that doesn't have 6th sense. (so much so that i even re-trained my tiger's crew down for my loltraktor for use in team battles.)

mattwong #31 Posted Nov 19 2013 - 16:46

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

View Postsimcan, on Nov 19 2013 - 07:13, said:

Okay I didn't want to say this but I suck with derp guns. And I'm only hanging on to the kv-2 to cross over to arty. Because yes it does suck as a 107 platform. I prefer higher ROF with better pen guns but i play arty cause it pisses people off. ;)

Derp guns are easy to use.  Just remember to be patient and wait for the aim circle to fully shrink unless you're at point-blank range.

Dunfalach #32 Posted Nov 19 2013 - 17:23

Major

• Players
  • 18752 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostValundar, on Nov 19 2013 - 16:14, said:

1st skill on Commander for EVERY tank in this game is 6th sense.  KV-2 is no exception.

QFT. KV-2 with Sixth Sense and handy cover is a beast. Ninja sniping with the 152mm is hilarious, and the innate need of every enemy player to kill the derp when spotted can be used to great effect to lure them to their deaths with proper cover and smart play. Patrol Duty in a KV-2 for luring them one by one into the killing field of waiting TDs is one of my favorite achievements.

View Postmattwong, on Nov 19 2013 - 16:46, said:

Derp guns are easy to use.  Just remember to be patient and wait for the aim circle to fully shrink unless you're at point-blank range.

Patience is essential for the derp. Target selection is very important. That big shell takes a while to reach the target, and your reload is long, so except in critical situations, you want to wait for good shots on good targets rather than waste a shell.

mattwong #33 Posted Nov 19 2013 - 17:36

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

View PostDunfalach, on Nov 19 2013 - 17:23, said:

Patience is essential for the derp. Target selection is very important. That big shell takes a while to reach the target, and your reload is long, so except in critical situations, you want to wait for good shots on good targets rather than waste a shell.

The one thing that's tricky to learn is leading the target with a slow-moving shell.  I recently pulled my KV-2 out of storage and played some games with it, and I was pleased to see that I still have the touch for leading the target with it.  I picked off an ELC in full flight at >200m range, which made me laugh.

ShotOfDeath #34 Posted Nov 20 2013 - 08:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 10974 battles

View PostValundar, on Nov 19 2013 - 16:14, said:

This game is won/lost via vision control. There is no better skill to aid you in vision control than 6th sense.

1st skill for other crew is repairs.

Its gotten to the point that i hate driving any tank that doesn't have 6th sense. (so much so that i even re-trained my tiger's crew down for my loltraktor for use in team battles.)
6th sense quite useless to KV-2, you will found by enemy 1st no matter what tank they use. With 2s of 6th sense after you founded, and 2s to pull back and you will get shot in plain map.
And in urban warfare? With 200m between corners? 6th sense for? Just pick a corner, aim where enemy may come, wait, shot then hide.
Just stay behind the 2nd line, let scout and HT go 1st, chose a big rock or house,hide, wait enemy on sight, roll out shot and hide again.
With 19s load, stayed back and wait until your enemy shot then roll out and shot again. Kv-2 have bad camo rate, low view range, slow, big and paper turrets. 4s is too long for it.

mattwong #35 Posted Nov 20 2013 - 08:16

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles
Sixth Sense is NEVER useless.  Even if you are spotted by the enemy, it is good to KNOW that you have been spotted by the enemy.  If the enemy has NOT been spotted, the Sixth Sense light can actually help you determine where they must be.

Dunfalach #36 Posted Nov 20 2013 - 14:40

Major

• Players
  • 18752 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostShotOfDeath, on Nov 20 2013 - 08:08, said:

6th sense quite useless to KV-2, you will found by enemy 1st no matter what tank they use. With 2s of 6th sense after you founded, and 2s to pull back and you will get shot in plain map.
And in urban warfare? With 200m between corners? 6th sense for? Just pick a corner, aim where enemy may come, wait, shot then hide.
Just stay behind the 2nd line, let scout and HT go 1st, chose a big rock or house,hide, wait enemy on sight, roll out shot and hide again.
With 19s load, stayed back and wait until your enemy shot then roll out and shot again. Kv-2 have bad camo rate, low view range, slow, big and paper turrets. 4s is too long for it.

View Postmattwong, on Nov 20 2013 - 08:16, said:

Sixth Sense is NEVER useless.  Even if you are spotted by the enemy, it is good to KNOW that you have been spotted by the enemy.  If the enemy has NOT been spotted, the Sixth Sense light can actually help you determine where they must be.

My KV-2 was my first tank to achieve full Sixth Sense, mostly because the high damage output means you can crank out crew XP when elited. Sixth Sense is definitely not useless on KV-2. Matt already lists a couple of reasons; here's a couple more:

1) Most tanks you face at tier 6 can't 1-shot you from full health unless they get an ammo rack, so while it might not prevent you from taking a hit, it may prevent you from dying. If you're playing the KV-2 smartly, you aren't far from cover unless you happen to get caught moving between positions, so there's a decent chance of you getting back into cover with no or little damage when Sixth Sense goes off.

2) KV-2 is intimidating. Sixth Sense allows you to play the "Hey, hey, over here!" game with the enemy, popping out to get their attention distracted from allies and dropping back into cover before they get shots off. You can't poke your nose out far with a KV-2 playing this game, because of the slow movement, but it can be done. When you know your tank is a priority target for the enemy, you can sometimes use this to create opportunities for your team.

3) Your aim time and reload time are both high. So it's vital to know whether you're spotted yet in order to know whether you can afford to hang around in position waiting for the aim/reload to finish and get a shot off, or need to go ahead and get into cover now and take the shot later. I still take my chances with risky lingering at times, but since I acquired Sixth Sense it's  now an informed decision rather than a random guess.

4) Your view range is relatively low. In a situation where you need to cross a gap to get to a new location, enemies who can spot you may be beyond your own spotting range. Peaking out long enough to see if Sixth Sense lights up can at least give you some indication if you're under the enemy's guns or clear before you waddle across an open gap.

Check out the replay below. If I remember rightly, you can see Sixth Sense fire on replays. I'm a mediocre player, so a better player would probably have taken less damage than I did. But you can see me repeatedly react to Sixth Sense lighting me up, and dodge a number of shots because of it. I racked up over 3k damage, hitting with 10 out of 11 shots fired, by repeatedly abusing Sixth Sense to know when I could and could not afford to wait for my aim time. There's also at least once that I intentionally expose myself just for a moment to draw a shot/attention my way and give friendly tanks opportunities.

http://wotreplays.com/site/435782

B1indH4te #37 Posted Nov 21 2013 - 04:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29189 battles
Rammer GLD  Vents BIA Snapshot and improved combat rations net you a 18.9 second reload and decent accuracy and aim time. People offering themselves to your gun becauase they think they have a few more seconds before you reload happens hilariously often. You lose credits with the rations, but its so worth it.

Gunslinger01 #38 Posted Nov 21 2013 - 06:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 4505 battles
Ever since the 152 was on the KV1 i loved the tank. I never once bought the 107 till the t150 came out.

I have allways loaded full HE in it. since it has the option of HURTING tier 10s (yes even the maus fears a solid derping from a kv2)

Things to know about playing the tank:
You have to wait for aimer to have TOTALLY zoomed. if its still moving, Your missing.

You will pen tier 6 or less in the rear/sides. Ive one shot KV1S's before cause i got a lucky roll through the side plate. Thus this tank can be extremely effective at taking out High teir vechles (I was so dissapointed when i olny did 400 damage to an AMX 50 100 the other day, side on shot, Must have been the lowest armor pen roll in history :( ) Note Its not a bad thing to be thrown into tier 7-10 games. Cause you can still hurt any tank you see front on (just wont take many shots to die lol) Id love to shoot one of the high teir French/ German TDs with the Derpa derp.

Because of the above reason, this tank makes a GOOD flanker, Yes GOOD, it may be horribly slow, and have a reaload time measured in Ice Ages, But You get that gun behind a defended enemy possition you can take out the highest tier enemy first and work your way down, 19-22 seconds at a time. BUT keep in mind the following:

You shouldnt Rush in this tank, for one, you need cover while an ice age passes to reload the gun, But from a decent rock/building you can play peek a BOOM till your hearts content, and no one wants to come round the corner just incase your loaded allready.
Backup is handy, since you have the turning circle of an ocean liner, and the turret rotate speed of a t95 moving uphill

Things to beware of:
AMX scout tanks, If they get behind you, They will kill you unless you have backup, DONT MISS the first shot on them.
Arty, Your turret is a small skyscraper, and quite easy to peg even with horrendously innacurate arty.
and camping TDs cause your armour isnt THAT good.

Wrapping it up, Play smart, Derp bitches, and lol the whole time.

Andiminius #39 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 19:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 4744 battles
I use the 152mm and load only HE.  Damage output is fantastic but armor is not good enough for me to enjoy.

FPSGHoST808 #40 Posted Feb 12 2014 - 02:49

Major

• Players
  • 8053 battles

oddly enough, memorizing weakspots is a priority with this tank. most (if not all) of the time, you're firing HE. and 83 pen is by no means great at tier 6, and you can face tier 8 tanks.

minimizing the armor thickness your 152mm shell hits will maximize damage done to the enemy tanks.

with certain tanks, like the KV-1S, i find its easier to shoot the hull with one of the 5 AP shells. you have a much better chance of penetration compared to explosive.

crew skills: Sixth sense for commander, snap shot for gunner, smooth ride for driver. the rest, repairs. the KV-2, while having the KV-1's armor layout, is bumped up a tier from the tier 5 juggernaut, making you a soft target.(and a quite large one at that)

gun rammer, vents and (lol) a camo net are what i run

vents and rammer to improve reload and accuracy, lessen dispersion, etc and buff crew performance

camo net so that you can keep pummeling the enemy while remaining unseen.

quite literally direct fire artillery.

Also tagged with KV-2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users