Jump to content


T-34: 76mm S-54 or 57mm ZiS-4?

T-34 76mm 57mm Medium Tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

CSnakeV #1 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 9,489
  • Member since:
    10-22-2011
So, just noticed that the T-34 got the S-54, which has got both higher penetration and damage, at the expense of its accuracy, aim time and RoF ( And DPM, the ZiS-4 can almost double the DPM of the S-54).
According to your experience, which is better? (I like the T-34 for due to its high DPM.)
Thanks in advance.

GravesTheOutlaw #2 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:24

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 839
  • Member since:
    06-17-2012
ZiS-4

MexicanPanda #3 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,862
  • Member since:
    03-22-2013
57mm all the way. The 76 may have more alpha, but if memory serves, all the other stats on it are quite bad, so just stick with the machine gun 57mm and have fun.

XJCL #4 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 5,314
  • Member since:
    08-26-2012
57 mm for sure, not even close. The acc lets you snipe decently, and the dpm lets you melt targets if they let you get close.

RatZ1LLa #5 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:27

    Captain

  • Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles
  • 1,376
  • Member since:
    11-17-2012
57mm.

The 76mm is horrific, bad aim time, be lucky if your shell is within your reticle too.

lightball20 #6 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 2,263
  • Member since:
    02-18-2013

View PostCSnakeV, on Oct 02 2013 - 19:23, said:

So, just noticed that the T-34 got the S-54, which has got both higher penetration and damage, at the expense of its accuracy, aim time and RoF ( And DPM, the ZiS-4 can almost double the DPM of the S-54).
According to your experience, which is better? (I like the T-34 for due to its high DPM.)
Thanks in advance.
On A-43 you can argue S-54(due to 18.18 ROF) but on T-34 use the ZiS-4 or be useless.

115 damage at 10 rof is just terrible.

weesh #7 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:34

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,526
  • Member since:
    09-11-2012
In addition to all the other things people have said, the ZiS-4 has the best premium round.  It is clearly the correct choice.

rtp099 #8 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 5,568
  • Member since:
    09-19-2011
57mm all the way. Load a few premium shells for tougher targets and just peck away their hit points!

partisan1941 #9 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:37

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,196
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012
Absolutely use the 57mm. Do not even try the 76mm. To put it into perspective, the t-34 76 mm fires 10 rounds a min while the 76 mm top gun on m4 fires 15 rounds (same damage and 128 pen vs 125). To put on a 76mm and fight the m4 1 on 1 would be a suicide. I honestly have no idea why they even have that horrible cannon for that tank, it misleads many new players like it did  me a long time ago that that 76mm is top gun - LIES. USE 57mm, best gun for that tank. It is the same story with my t-44 that has a 122mm top tier gun (same thing, it is garbage, and the 100mm is actually the top gun)

TalonV #10 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 18,601
  • Member since:
    10-21-2011
57mm all the way. HIGH Rof. GOOD pen and aim time. the 76 on the T-34 is just HORRIBLE.  I mean you can have all the DPM in the world, but if you can't pen a target very well it's useless.

57 has amazing Rof and pen. You can pen the front of a Kv-1 with a tad bit of aiming and you can repeatedly hit that spot with the 57.

BA_Baracus #11 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:41

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,321
  • Member since:
    03-12-2011
nothing beats pew pew pew

weesh #12 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:41

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,526
  • Member since:
    09-11-2012

View Postpartisan1941, on Oct 02 2013 - 19:37, said:

Absolutely use the 57mm. Do not even try the 76mm. To put it into perspective, the t-34 76 mm fires 10 rounds a min while the 76 mm top gun on m4 fires 15 rounds (same damage and 128 pen vs 125). To put on a 76mm and fight the m4 1 on 1 would be a suicide. I honestly have no idea why they even have that horrible cannon for that tank, it misleads many new players like it did  me a long time ago that that 76mm is top gun - LIES. USE 57mm, best gun for that tank. It is the same story with my t-44 that has a 122mm top tier gun (same thing, it is garbage, and the 100mm is actually the top gun)
This is one of the reasons that DPM should be on the gun description, rather than making us calculate it.  Adding it would bring its importance closer to pubbie consciousness.

Sturm_Teufel #13 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 19:56

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 922
  • Member since:
    07-22-2011
I recently bought the t-34 back, tried the S-54 76mm (forgot just how bad it was), realized how horribad it was, mounted the ZiS-4 and never looked back. So much more effective w/ the 57mm.

Clanky44 #14 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 20:03

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 447
  • Member since:
    07-19-2013
ZIS-4, no question about it. Loved it in my T-28 and continue to use it in my T-34.

cwjian90 #15 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 20:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,856
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View Postweesh, on Oct 02 2013 - 19:41, said:

This is one of the reasons that DPM should be on the gun description, rather than making us calculate it.  Adding it would bring its importance closer to pubbie consciousness.

If you mouse over medium tanks and tank destroyers in the carousel, it will show you the DPM of the current equipped gun.

weesh #16 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 20:50

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,526
  • Member since:
    09-11-2012

View Postcwjian90, on Oct 02 2013 - 20:08, said:

If you mouse over medium tanks and tank destroyers in the carousel, it will show you the DPM of the current equipped gun.
That...is interesting but not at all useful from a gun comparison standpoint.  

To use that, you have to have bought all the guns, load them to the tank (which causes a server check and delay) and then hover over the tank, AND remember that number and do it all again so you can compare.

Pahech #17 Posted Oct 02 2013 - 21:00

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 2,472
  • Member since:
    09-28-2010
The alpha and penetration benefits isn't worth the massive DPM/accuracy/aim time loss.  

Unlike the higher tier guns, both guns require you to pew pew pew to be effective.  In this sense, you want the gun with twice the DPM.