Guide to dominating with the T29 Heavy Tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

Asyranok #1 Posted Feb 21 2011 - 22:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25049 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY
THIS GUIDE IS VERY OUTDATED. I HAVE NOT MADE ANY EDITS SINCE THE GAME RELEASED. Please realize that some pointers may no longer be accurate. For example. A huge patch was instated that makes my advice for aiming below tank destroyers guns a useless piece of advice.

My Guide to Domination with the T29 American Heavy Tank:

First I have to say…
- I am not the best player in WOT, nor do I claim to be
- I dominate with the T29 Heavy Tank for whatever reason
- I get roughly 3 kills a game with it and have a 62% win percentage (Not incredible I know)
- It is a great tank, but even better when you use it to its potential

- Unlock and mount all of its highest-level upgrades to be most effective (I recommend buying in this order)
1. SUSPENSION - T84E3: This will allow you to upgrade the turret.
2. ENGINE - Skip the second engine and go straight for the Continental AV-1790-3. This provides significantly more mobility.
3. TURRET - Get the T136: Gives you 100 more HP. You will need upgraded suspension  
first.It also gives you significantly greater view range with the "ears" sticking out the sides. Some say the ears are a liability - speaking from someone who does great with this tank, they offer so much more than they take away.
4. CANNON - T5E1 105 mm: If you are strapped for cash, skip the second cannon and go straight for this one. If you have plenty of  
cash, it won't hurt to take baby steps and go for the second cannon before this one.
5. RADIO - Get this last unless you have easy money and experience to commit because it isn't a hard thing to upgrade and isnt  
essential to being an effective T29.

- Most artillery are a one-shot kill. The highest tier artillery are a two-shot kill
**Buy vertical stabilizer, Imprioved Ventilation, and faster-aim module = These are critical to maximizing your T29’s effectiveness.

Vertical Stabilizer – This will allow you to be highly mobile but still incredibly accurate with your cannon. This means that you are a harder target to hit but you don’t lose your offensive prowess as a result.

Improved Ventilation– Adds a fair amount to your crew's efficiency.

Faster-aim module – This will keep your reticule tighter and allow you to suddenly stop – shoot accurately – and continue moving, which makes you a much more effective weapon in battle.

**When reaching 100% for crew skills, I recommend selecting the repair skill for each crew member. This is because your repair time for damaged tracks and the gun is painfully slow. Any extra speed to that repair is critical. Next, I recommend choosing 3 firefighting skills and 2 camo skills as the second set of skills to research.  This is because camouflage is not the most important aspect of a T29. You are most effective on the front lines. Repair and firefighting skills are the most important.

Common Issues With Modules and Crew (based on percentage - the higher the percentage, the more commonly you lose that tanker or module):
-Driver 35%
-Tracks 35%
-Ammo Rack 10%
-Gunner 5%
-Engine 5%
-Radio Man 5%
-All Others 5%

Now…

The T29 is a special tank. It outclasses the IS and Tiger within its tier 7 placement. It can even dominate the tier 10 tanks if used correctly. One of the most important things to realize with this tank is that it is NO pushover. Don’t be afraid to rush an enemy – just do it strategically.

Here are situational battles. When you find yourself 1 on 1 with these tanks, these tactics will serve you well.

T29 vs. Tier 4 tanks (Hetzers, SU 85B, M3 Lee’s, Pzkfw III etc.)
-These tanks are a one shot kill. Shooting them straight, hull-down, will penetrate 99% of the time and instantly kill them. None of these tanks will penetrate your armor or do any damage without HE shells. Their damage is minimal. You should rush this tank and take them out before they get back-up.

T29 vs. Tier 5 tank (Pzkfw IV, KV, T1 Heavy, Stug III, SU 85, T-34, M4 Shermans etc.)
-Tier  5 tank destroyers are a one-shot kill for your fully-upgraded T29. Take them out quickly. Most, if not all, of their shots will bounce off the front and sides of your T29, but they cannot be underestimated. The Pzkfw IV and T1 will bounce most shots on you, and if it connects, it will do minimal damage. Two shots in any location will dispatch both of these tanks. The KV is a two-shot kill as well, but a KV with a 152 mm (Stubby derp-cannon) can do 30% damage to you with one shot!! If  you see a KV with a stubby cannon, do not stay motionless and give them a 90 degree angle on your armor.

T29 vs. Tier 6 tanks (KV-3/1S, M6, VK 3601/3001, Jagdpz IV, SU 100, Easy 8's, T-34-85 etc.)
-Tier 6 tanks can penetrate your armor on a more consistant basis than their lower tier counterparts – as is expected after all. These tanks can only take 3 shots from your T29 until they are derelict (Tank destroyers and VK’s can take only 2 shots).  The KV tanks can do significant damage. Here is where tactics become key.  Start to give your turret to them only. Hide your chassis whenever possible. They cannot penetrate your turret at all. They will bounce shots while you pummel them into submission. If you must display your hull, only display your front. Also, turn the tank slightly to one side or the other. This will increase the “sloping” and angle of your armor which will deflect more shots. This will display the side of your armor which is weaker, but 9/10, the shot will bounce or hit your tracks only.

The M6 will be fairly easy to dispatch. The Vk’s can do small chunks of damage, but nothing serious. Face them and fire until they are dead.  The JagpzIV can hurt you up close. Don’t underestimate this tank if you are low on health. I have had several instances where I was dominating a team until running into a JagdpzIV. It out maneuvered me and shot me down when I had a significant chance of getting 10 kills. Instead, I only got 7 because I underestimated this tank.

Here is where I will begin doing more specific scenarios…

T29 vs. Tiger 1 (Tier 7)
- The tiger is an effective sniper. Going across an open field will leave you vulnerable to them and allow them to do significant damage before you can even see them. However, in close range of 250 m or less, the Tiger is no match for your T29. In fact, used correctly, you will NEVER lose a battle to a Tiger. If they are facing you, aim for the turret. The armor is weaker there and you will almost never bounce.

The fantastic thing about this is that a Tiger MUST present his turret to fight back, and that is his most vulnerable spot save for his rear armor. So pummel his turret unless he gives you his rear armor. If you are within several meters of the Tiger – RUSH HIM. Ram into his hull and continue to drive into him. He will not be able to hurt you at all. He won’t have an angle on your hull and he cannot penetrate your turret. If you are a distance to him and your hull is an easy target, again, turn your hull to one side or another. This will increase the angle of your armor and make it much harder for the Tiger to connect. It is no exaggeration to say that I have never lost a 1 on 1 close battle with a Tiger.

T29 vs. IS  (Tier 7)
- This is a tougher nut to crack. For one, the fully upgraded IS can do more damage to you. The turret armor of the IS is nigh impenetrable. I recommend that you aim for the lower hull if you have no other options. In close range, an effective method of fighting them is to shoot the front wheel well of one of their tracks. With them immobilized, move around behind them and shoot their rear armor. This isn’t absolutely essential as you shouldn’t have much trouble penetrating their frontal hull armor. Again, turn your hull slightly to the side to increase the angle of your hull. Also, you can try swiveling your hull. When you are sure he is ready to fire, begin turning side to side in small increments sporadically. This will further increase the angle of your hull and deflect more shots, then stop and shoot back.

T29 vs. Jagdpanther (Tier 7)
- If in close combat with, I find moving around and peeking out from various cover points and shooting works fantastic. Also, swiveling and turning your hull to an angle helps immensely. I find that most Jagdpanther tankers will attempt to shoot your rear armor if you give them any slight angle on it. The funny thing is that if the angle is incredibly small, they will only de-track you, doing no damage to your HP at all.

For instance, I found myself in a really bad spot fighting two Jagdpanthers, an IS3, and a KV-1S. After dispatching the injured IS3 behind the small hill I was at, I switched focus to the Jagdpanthers. I had a small hill that I perched down and at an angle. The Jagdpanthers kept taking the bait; trying to shoot the small bit of rear armor that I presented to them. They kept de-tracking me as I wanted them too, but never did any damage. Three shots each and they were dead. The KV-1S, believe it or not, did the most damage do me. I gave him a good angle the entire time, because I ignored him as a low priority. That was possibly a mistake as he widdled me down from 80% health to 5% before I killed him. Long story short, I was one of two tanks left on my team and got 8 kills in that match (Victory by elimination).

T29 vs. SU 152 (Tier 7)
I find this a more difficult tank to take out due to its sloping coefficient. Many of my shots bounce on this tank from the front. This tank seems slower to turn than a Jagdpanther and therefore, getting around behind it is effective – especially if you de-track it by shooting the front wheel wells. I recommend doing that, or hiding so that only your turret is visible. Then, fire on the lower front of the hull until it is dead. If need be, HE shells will be fairly effective.

T29 vs. T-43 (Tier 7)
This is a fairly straigthforward battle. Avoid letting him get behind you. Shoot his tracks to immobilize him and pummel away. A few shots should dispatch him. He will be unable to do significant damage to you unless he gets behind you.

T29 vs. VK 3002 (Tier 7)
This tank can certainely penetrate your hull armor, but won't do significant damage if you take care of him quickly. Shoot the turret or hull and he will be done in 3 shots.

T29 vs. Tiger II (Tier 8)
- The Tiger II is an excellent sniping tank. If battling one at a range of 250+ meters, there is a good chance that you will lose, unless you can conceal your hull and only present your turret. However, in close range, the Tiger II is no match for the T29. Use the same tactics as described under the battle with the Tiger to dispatch a Tiger II easily. HOWEVER, if you bounce one or more shots, it means that the enemy most likely has the upgraded turret. While you can still easily penetrate it due to the low angle of the armor, you may want to consider firing at the hull of the tank. For instance – I have battled 3 Tiger II’s at once and destroyed all 3 with 25% of my health still left. I got great angles and only gave them my turret. I took two out from 100 meters and the third rushed me. He did a lot of damage until I rushed him back. I rammed his front and kept driving into his hull as he backed up. He no longer had an angle on my hull and bounced shot after shot on my turret. I continued to pummel him in his turret and he died fast. (Then I died seconds later from a Hummel shot, yay!)

Tiger vs. IS3 (Tier 8)
- The IS3 is a powerful tank and a somewhat-tough beast to take down.  I find that they are still beatable by firing at the direct front of their hull. De-tracking them and going around behind them to shoot their vulnerable rear armor works as well. Again, give them bad angles on your armor. Swivel as they are likely attempting to shoot. They cannot penetrate your turret.

T29 vs. T32 (Tier 8)
- The T32 is supposed to be a better tank that the T29. In several ways it is, but that doesn’t make it a hard tank to take out. Never aim for the turret. The upgraded turret on that tank is impenetrable to almost every tank in the game. If it is your only choice, shoot for the lower front of the front hull. If you can, de-track this tank and go around behind it. The T32 is less maneuverable than the T29 and, due to its low profile, has less of an effective angle to fire at you when behind cover.  

T29 vs. Ferdinand or ISU 152 (Tier 8)
-Both of these tanks are nigh impenetrable from the front. I recommend aiming just under the Ferdinand’s gun. Or if you are on higher ground that the Ferdinand, you should be able to penetrate anywhere on the frontal armor. If that doesn’t work, use HE shells and aim right for the gun. The ISU 152 can be penetrated, but most shots will bounce. Normally a low shot on the front of the hull will penetrate for me. Otherwise, use HE or out-maneuver the TD to shoot it from behind. Never give these tanks part of your hull. They will rarely bounce anything unless it is off of your turret.

T29 vs. T-44 (Tier 8)
This is an effective and powerful enemy, but he is no match for your T29. If you must, back your hull into a wall to prevent him from running circles around you. Aim the first shot for his tracks and take them out. This will obviously immobilize him for a few seconds but will also make him slower and less agile once they are repaired. He can do significant damage to you but as long as you aim at his hull at as close to a 90 degree shot as possible, you will penetrate. Four well place shots and he is done.

T29 vs. Panther (Tier 8)
This is a fast and effective sniper, but in close combat, he is no match. Aim for his turret and shoot him until he is down for the count.

T29 vs. T23 (Tier 8)
I left the T20 out because the methods to dispatch them are the same. They will bounce many shots if you give them the bad angles. Very few, if any, of your shots will bounce on them. Simply shoot them until they are dead.

T29 vs. IS4 (Tier 9)
-This is the most difficult tank for me to take out for some reason. While I can penetrate an IS7 from the front sometimes, and easily hit it from the side, none of my shots on the front or side of an IS4 penetrate. You are outclassed in every way in this situation. If there are 3 tanks I would never recommend taking on alone, they are the Maus, IS7, and IS4. The Jagdtiger might be thrown into that bunch as well.

T29 vs. T34 (Tier 9)
-Treat this tank as a T29 with superior fire power and fight accordingly.

T29 vs. VK 4502 (Tier 9)
-This guy is a unique animal. Often dubbed the mini-mouse, it is a change of pace from the Tiger II. While the Tiger series is vulnerable in the turret, the VK 4502 is nearly impenetrable in the turret. I recommend aiming for the lower front of the hull, or try to get an angle to shoot him in the sides or rear. Ramming him and shooting his bulky hull can be an effective close combat strategy. If you are having trouble penetrating, use HE shells. Despite the VK4502 being a superior tank, I do not find him the scariest tank in the game.

T29 vs. Jagdtiger (Tier 9)
-This TD doesn’t do insane damage. It takes 3 or 4 shots to kill you, but it has a relatively fast rate of fire and great accuracy. It also has impenetrable frontal armor. Treat it like the Maus in terms of inflicting damage on it. Getting around behind it and staying there is the only way to dominate this tank.

T29 vs. Object 704 (Tier 9)
-This guy is a mixed bag. In the right hands it is a world killer. Its accuracy isn’t amazing but it can do 700 damage a pop. That means two shots and you are dead. The great thing about fighting one of these is its relatively low mobility and weak armor. You can penetrate it on any part of its hull. Shoot anywhere and make your shot’s angle as close to 90 degrees as possible and you will penetrate. Around 5 shots from your T29 and this tank destroyer is toast. Stay as mobile as possible when fighting this guy. Shoot and scoot and give him the worst angle possible on your hull when you peek out. Wait for support if you need it. Having someone go in from the side and you shooting from the front will render this tank a smoking metal frame.

T29 vs. Pershing (Tier 9)
-The Pershing can pummel you, but its armor is insignificant. Use cover and shoot and scoot tactics to take as little damage as possible - while popping out and hitting the Pershing. After a few shots from the T29, the pershing is toast.

T29 vs. Panther II (Tier 9)
-This guy is another effective sniper. Avoid getting in sniper battles with him unless you have your hull in cover. Aim for the turret unless he is trying to run circles around you. In that case, back your rear end into something solid and shoot his tracks. Then pummel him in the side (or if you only get his front hull, pummel him in the turret). Eventually, you will come out on top in that battle.

T29 vs. T-54 (Tier 9)
-Contrary to popular belief, I do not think the T-54 is overpowered. It is devestating in wolf-packs. However, one on one and you still have a fair chance to take him out. Aim for the lower front of his hull if that is all he gives you. If he is only giving the turret, use high explosive. Proetect your hull whenever you can. Take out his tracks to reduce his mobility. They repair insanely fast, but the damage is done. If he decides to rush you and try to out manuever you, then count yourself lucky because he will be easier to kill. This will require him to show the side of his armor. This is fairly easy to penetrate. Take advantage of this when you can. This is not a tank that I would recommend rushing, but if he rushes you, you have the advantage. Just remember that his cannon is near the power of yours. Give him bad angles on your armor whenever possible. Your turret traverses quickly though so you can hit him no matter how many circles he is trying to run around you.

T29 vs. T30 (Tier 10)
-This is a surprisingly easy kill. He can kill you with 2 shots, but he has a slow reload. Giving him a bad angle on your hull armor will bounce half of his shots. Shoot him in the front of the hull, or sides and rear, and he will be dead after 5-6 shots. If you are close to him, rush him hard. His gun is long and will have a less preferable angle on your hull. He cannot penetrate your turret’s armor. So ram him and continue to drive into him. Shoot until he is dead. I killed two T30’s in my T29 this way in a single battle. The third T30 killed me but not before I got him down to 60% health.

T29 vs. IS7 (Tier 10)
-This tank is slightly easier to penetrate than an IS4 (for reasons unknown to me). Shooting in the lower front of the hull can penetrate, but will likely bounce. If the sides or rear are presented, pummel him with standard ammunition. Otherwise, use HE and aim for the turret. You will only do about 5% damage per shot, but you can really do a number on him over time. Use shoot and scoot tactics while utilizing cover. Do not give him your hull. There is a fair chance he will bounce his shot, but if he connects, you will be in a world of pain.

T29 vs. Maus (Tier 10)
- This tank cannot be stopped from the front. Don’t even try. Use HE when fighting him hull down. If he is turned, aim at the rear of the side of his armor to connect. If he is turned around, almost all shots will penetrate. So use standard ammunition on the side and rear and use HE for the frontal armor.

GENERAL TIPS:
-T29 has strong turret armor but a paper-thin cannon. Try to move the cannon slightly so as not to expand your reticule, but still make the cannon difficult to hit.
-Aim just below the gun on heavily armored tank destroyers.
-On the map Pagorki, I recommend going middle and staying near the top of the hill. Fire on enemies as your mediums attempt to take the hill. Watch the island though as the north side is vulnerable to shots from the side by enemies near the radio tower.
-Muranikova: I recommend going left around the hills and clearing that area. If the enemy is camping, double back between the two hills and go into the city. Slowly make use of cover, but approach the woods to view nearby tanks.
-Himmlesdorf. Whatever you do, don't go hill. I recommend the street that runs down "longitude" 7/8. Guard that area. If no one is appearing, move up to sight them.
-Campinakova: Either go to the hill by the windmill or camp. I personally only camp about 2% of the time.
-Ensk: I don't remember what map this is, but the name is funny and I wanted to type it.
-Lakeville: This one is hard to go wrong with, but I personally go city more often than not. I tend to check and try to even the numbers when too many tanks go to one side.
-Sand River: I would go north if you start in the south cap point and south if you start in the north cap point.
-El Halluf or whatever that desert map is called: I reccomend going north regardless of the cap point you spawn at.

Request other tank matchups and I will do my best to give advice specific to fighting each one.

Thanks for reading and I really hope this helps anyone who needs it!

zayack #2 Posted Feb 21 2011 - 23:23

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3271 battles
Panther is tier 8 and you should do the tier 9 meds next seeing as they can be the most difficult to counter

Asyranok #3 Posted Feb 21 2011 - 23:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25049 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View Postzayack, on Feb 21 2011 - 23:23, said:

Panther is tier 8 and you should do the tier 9 meds next seeing as they can be the most difficult to counter
Oh dang, what a mix up. Thanks for the reminder. Do you mean Jagdpanther? That is tier 7. Ferdi is 8, and Tiger is 9.

Oh, I see, I called it a panther for some reason. Editing.

Sputter #4 Posted Feb 21 2011 - 23:48

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14925 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
i notcied you posted about having trouble penetrating certain tanks but actually the 105mm can easily pen almost every tank with few exceptions just need to know where to hit. The 105mm can even pen the maus from the side given there is not a lot of angel to him. Also for mods to get It is very important to get a lg spall liner to reduce HE damage because most tanks will just HE the turret because they can't normally pen it, so i'd drop the faster aiming for that mod. The only tanks i ever have trouble pening is the maus,is4/is7,object 704 (front), front of the ferd, and of course the OP 54s front. The rest are really easy to pen if aimed right

virtusx #5 Posted Feb 21 2011 - 23:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2742 battles
Decent review. Few things that I have found, if you use the binocs or coated optics and the first turret you do very well without the ears issue. Spall liner is good at times since I get shot with HE when hull down. The IS does not have a very good turret with only 100mm of armor, currently you can shoot a Tiger 2's gun and it will go through. I really agree with rushing at times, it has saved me a few times against KT's and IS 3's.

BTW, I have won duels with hull down T29's by shooting ears so it definitely is a vulnerability.

GeorgePatton #6 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 00:01

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 5371 battles
  • [3ARMY] 3ARMY
Stug-III is one of the most dangerous tanks in game if in capable hands. I have easily killed T-29s in mine. I may  have an advantage though as I also drive a T-29 and know all the weak spots. lol

NEVER under-estimate a Stug.

I use the extra grousers, gun rammer, and binoculars.

Cheers!
Glenn

Bart133 #7 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 05:20

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Nice guide for the most part. A couple minor things:

You can mount the 105mm with the stock turret. I'd go for the turret last just because it wasn't too much of an improvement for me.
The 90mm should be researched from the M6, and it changes the T29 from being silly with the 76mm into being a pretty decent tank that can actually fight tier 7s and win. As far as I can remember, the T29 with the 90mm made plenty of money.

Asyranok #8 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 08:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25049 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View PostGeorgePatton, on Feb 22 2011 - 00:01, said:

Stug-III is one of the most dangerous tanks in game if in capable hands. I have easily killed T-29s in mine. I may  have an advantage though as I also drive a T-29 and know all the weak spots. lol

NEVER under-estimate a Stug.

I use the extra grousers, gun rammer, and binoculars.

Cheers!
Glenn

The Stug can do less than 150 damage a shot on a T29. It bounces most shots. It is a one-shot kill for a T29. You haven't killed them easily. You have taked advantage of your teamates injuring T29's for you.

AnOnY_MoUs #9 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 10:47

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 152 battles
Just saying, a KV with the derp cannon can one hit kill the T29.  :Smile_harp:

Lakel #10 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 10:48

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4750 battles
seriously? the stug can lay on the hurt if you ignore it. Ive gone 1 v1 with tiger, nearly had him, course it was mostly just bad driving on his part.

The stug's L/70 has a ROF of 17.54/min, 8.96 for the 88.  135 dmg for 75, 220 for 88.  Work it out, the stug puts out identical damage in the same time as the 88, little more in fact. Also in all my experiences against T29s, its hull is penetrable by T5 easy enough.

Yay for tankpedia found!
138pen for the stug, and only 102 thickness for T29, not guaranteed penetration, but pretty good chance.

Point is, if you fear a sniping battle with a Tiger or King tiger, darn well better fear the stug in one as well, even more so when it can hide nicely, also more penetrations equals more chances of module damage! yay for ROF and penetration!

Rock_Spider #11 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 11:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Bit nit picky, but you wont 4 shot a T30. They have 2250 hp and the 105 does.... 250-450? Cant remember exact figures right now but its there somewhere. On average id say it would take you 6 shots. Also I hardly ever bounced an isu frontally. Those things dont have great armour.

Otherwise everything else you said is pretty much spot on with what I noticded in my t29/t32 days. One thing though is if you dont mind spending some gold or "paying to win", 3-5 gold rnds saved for is4/vks is really worthwhile. With 3 gold rounds you could do like 40-60% to an is4 easily which is very very good exp/creds.

HighFlyer15 #12 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 12:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostRock_Spider, on Feb 22 2011 - 11:42, said:

Bit nit picky, but you wont 4 shot a T30. They have 2250 hp and the 105 does.... 250-450? Cant remember exact figures right now but its there somewhere. On average id say it would take you 6 shots. Also I hardly ever bounced an isu frontally. Those things dont have great armour.
I'll back him up on this claim.. Don't know why, but I kill them 4-5 shots aswell.. They maybe have weakspots in the front with components that deal extra damage to the entire hp, don't know, but I kill them very easily!

BS87 #13 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 13:41

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4474 battles
As others have said, the 2nd turret is a joke, with giant no-armor ears that MANY people know to shoot for. I give up the measly 100hp and enjoy the bouncier turret. Also, why do you keep saying aim for the turret on things like the Panther? I realize you can penetrate it, but why even bother with the sloped turret when you can just shoot his hull more effectively. When an enemy presents its hull, in 98% of the cases, you shoot the hull. Otherwise, pretty good guide, even though i would not call your stats, at 3 kills per game "dominating".

Asyranok #14 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 17:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25049 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View PostAnOnY_MoUs, on Feb 22 2011 - 10:47, said:

Just saying, a KV with the derp cannon can one hit kill the T29.  :Smile_harp:

If he hits the ammo rack... in that case, any tank can one shot kill another tank... Otherwise, it takes 3-4 hits for a KV to take out a T29

heugan #15 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 18:20

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
top tip: hull down positions

Skwabie #16 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 18:47

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3 battles
A bit OT but would REALLY appreciate it if someone could write a similar guide for T34/30. These 2 tanks are very tricky to use......

DeaconBlues #17 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 19:29

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 140 battles
A nice guide - I'm a big fan of the T29 as well.

You might want to put in general tips above the situational battle tips.

I liken to driving the T29 like having a bunker mounted on a glass chassis with a big gun.  If you make sure to only let your front-turret show, a ton of shots are going to bounce.  A dug-in American Heavy takes shells like a duck's back takes water...

Asyranok #18 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 20:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25049 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View PostDeaconBlues, on Feb 22 2011 - 19:29, said:

A nice guide - I'm a big fan of the T29 as well.

You might want to put in general tips above the situational battle tips.

I liken to driving the T29 like having a bunker mounted on a glass chassis with a big gun.  If you make sure to only let your front-turret show, a ton of shots are going to bounce.  A dug-in American Heavy takes shells like a duck's back takes water...

I added some general tips at the end  :Smile_great:

Thanks for the idea.

One thing though, I wouldn't go as far as considering the T29 a glass hull with a nigh impenetrable turret. I always remember the turret (titans hehe) - but the hull is strong as well. It can bounce a lot of shots and will if you give enemies bad angles. If people go to battle considering the T29 to have a glass turret, they will hold back in many situations and it will cost them kills and even wins. That is why I don't personally liken it to that.

GeorgePatton #19 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 22:20

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 5371 battles
  • [3ARMY] 3ARMY

View PostAsyranok, on Feb 22 2011 - 08:35, said:

The Stug can do less than 150 damage a shot on a T29. It bounces most shots. It is a one-shot kill for a T29. You haven't killed them easily. You have taked advantage of your teamates injuring T29's for you.

Can do 350 damage per shot tyvm. :)

And no, I killed him ALL by myself.

Cheers!
Glenn

Grunt_Dog #20 Posted Feb 22 2011 - 22:40

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15942 battles
Nice Guide ...The effort should be appreciated......Obviously a big fan of this tank wrote this!!    I liked mine a lot.........T32 is WAY better......  Good Tank in skilled &Patient hands......But it isn't  a world killer  You better avoid higher tier meds at all costs!  with that hull you just can't keep the soft spots away from competent medium drivers..... I don't really remember taking out too many IS-7s by myself??  I also wouldn't advise taking on a T30  in a dog fight...even hull down??  Its a great support/defense tank!  I will say I do believe it to be the best of the T7 heavies.......