Really T20 why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

SpectreHD #21 Posted Feb 25 2011 - 16:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16529 battles
  • [TT] TT
I actually do very well in the T20. But I don't use the 90mm. The 105mm howitzer is my weapon of choice. With rammer and vertical stabiliser, I constantly get games of over 30k credits and 1k EXP over.

However with how lightly armoured this tank is, I expect it to turn better.

heugan #22 Posted Feb 25 2011 - 17:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2 battles

View PostSiberianExpress, on Feb 25 2011 - 00:13, said:

JT has the best gun in the game, more powerful than the Maus.

If you don't like a type a tank, its a safe bet you won't like the next tank in the tree, so I would suggest just try another tank tree/nation because that tank line is probably just not right for you. One of the biggest problems in the game are people's preconcieved notions of what is the best tank.
The maus gun has less penetration than the last gun (Tier 9!) on the T29..... that 105mm is better...

Tupinambis #23 Posted Feb 25 2011 - 18:10

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 35630 battles

View PostHeavygibman, on Feb 25 2011 - 09:24, said:

just had a panzer 4 kill me 1v1 i feel like I wanna slit my wrist that 90mm better make a huge difference....

You should have twice as much HP as a Panzer IV and even your stock cannon should go straight through its front armor. Did your crew get its brain scrambled by a lucky shot or something?

Heavygibman #24 Posted Feb 25 2011 - 18:23

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12953 battles
  • [3BAT] 3BAT

View PostTupinambis, on Feb 25 2011 - 18:10, said:

You should have twice as much HP as a Panzer IV and even your stock cannon should go straight through its front armor. Did your crew get its brain scrambled by a lucky shot or something?

He first shot from the derp gone took of tracks and ammo... than think it was his third shot took out my gun pretty much i was losing a system every other hit lol

Tupinambis #25 Posted Feb 25 2011 - 18:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 35630 battles

View PostHeavygibman, on Feb 25 2011 - 18:23, said:

He first shot from the derp gone took of tracks and ammo... than think it was his third shot took out my gun pretty much i was losing a system every other hit lol

Oh damn, I've had something like that happen to me by a derp Sherman too. Thankfully I had a teammate around who blew him to pieces but I was left with almost every module busted. I will tell you that the 90mm helps though; you can destroy any tier 5 medium with 2-3 shots... I think. I might be getting that mixed up with something else now....

Vizz #26 Posted Feb 26 2011 - 01:46

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 241 battles
T20 is a good tank, T23 is where it gets slightly worse due to matchup and fact you have same gun still.  You just have to use speed to your advantage really.  I still dont get all the bashing on the pershing after you get the 105 its a great tank and with a good player it allows you to do far more than you could with T20/23.

SpectreHD #27 Posted Feb 26 2011 - 03:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16529 battles
  • [TT] TT

View Postheugan, on Feb 25 2011 - 17:00, said:

The maus gun has less penetration than the last gun (Tier 9!) on the T29..... that 105mm is better...

I suggest you recheck your guns. The 105mm has 198 pen. The 12.8cm has over 240 pen.

LinkNZ #28 Posted Mar 01 2011 - 02:08

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7948 battles
Had by far my most epic game with the T20 a week ago. Towards the end it was just me against an IS, KV-3, SU-152, Hetzer and Hummel. Somehow managed to come out victorious. 17 hits and my ammo rack was still intact!! :Smile-izmena:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/ugobpzr0.aff.jpg

Heavygibman #29 Posted Mar 03 2011 - 07:49

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12953 battles
  • [3BAT] 3BAT

View PostLinkNZ, on Mar 01 2011 - 02:08, said:

Had by far my most epic game with the T20 a week ago. Towards the end it was just me against an IS, KV-3, SU-152, Hetzer and Hummel. Somehow managed to come out victorious. 17 hits and my ammo rack was still intact!! :Smile-izmena:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/ugobpzr0.aff.jpg

Hmm I think it was a fluke or a setup  :D  But really getting tired of any round hitting the right side of my turret killing ammo rack or loader the T20 seems to be plagued with system loss and crew loss due to tinfoil armor I guess.....

Pretty sure any tier 3+ tank can penetrate this thing its really sad tank for tier 7...

Btw if that pic was real which I am doubting which gun do you use? Derp gun sucks on the move and for sniping 90m RoF just feels to slow and 76mm is fun but really doesnt do much in way of dmg... also did you use premium rounds cause my 90mm bounces a good amount even on IS-3 sides...

Edit: oh zoomed in and looked at the tanks you killed you were top of your list probably? My T20 never see those types of matches  :(

LinkNZ #30 Posted Mar 03 2011 - 08:25

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7948 battles
That pic is real; if you track down the driver of the other teams Hummel he'll probably remember that game. :Smile_honoring:

Yeah was 2nd from top after the Tiger, perfect game for the T20. The game was still heavily stacked against us though, their IS, SU-152 and KV-3 alone overpowered 3/4 of our team.

I used the 90mm gun, never had any issues penetrating IS3's from the side, penetrates 9 times out of 10 for me. Just play smart, your tank can't take a beating, even a Leopard is threat when it gets around you. The tank works well as a sniper IMO, fire off a shot or two and use your speed to get out of trouble.

Hoche #31 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 04:16

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Funny i just had my highest scoring game in my t20 (not had it long) and that was after i was slagging the tank off to a teammate after looking at the upgrades for it (tracks dont turn faster than stock same with turret, turret has no better armour than stock etc).
Overall apart from the t54 ofc i think the US and russian trees are fairly well balanced in t5 and 6 id say US tanks are better (the 75mm gun seems the perfect blend of dmg and rof) and the ability to depress the gun far further than u can on russian mediums is be a huge advantage on hilly terrain

sargefan19 #32 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 04:25

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 11175 battles
The t20 is not that bad of a tank i like my easy 8 better but once you get the 90 on it the t20 is a pretty good tank just don't think you can run around taking shots head and last long in battle

MattiasKerensky #33 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 05:47

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5862 battles
  • [-FTC-] -FTC-
Tbh, T20 is one of my better tanks, I consistently get put into tier 7-10 matches and I do fine, perhaps the folks complaining about the tank haven't spent enough time getting to know how to play it? I have gone head to head with T-44's and Panthers and killed them on occasion, just sayin. If you're having trouble killing Panzer IV's with a fully upgraded T20, you really need to work on something.

Rhaark #34 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 11:49

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7 battles

View PostMattiasKerensky, on Mar 04 2011 - 05:47, said:

Tbh, T20 is one of my better tanks, I consistently get put into tier 7-10 matches and I do fine, perhaps the folks complaining about the tank haven't spent enough time getting to know how to play it? I have gone head to head with T-44's and Panthers and killed them on occasion, just sayin. If you're having trouble killing Panzer IV's with a fully upgraded T20, you really need to work on something.

sounds like he needs better luck my friend has similar issues with his T20 losing mods and crew fast.... he always yelling on vent about it lol...

We both been playing since closed beta so he knows what he is doing but cant see to do great in the T20 also notice almost ever shot tracks him sounds like a pain in the rear tank too me.

Irish_Cdn_Lad #35 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 16:19

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10135 battles
Well overall I'm not too fond of this tank. I've had 2 great games +1750 XP, about 5 games around 1000 XP, but the rest have not been good.
My E8 I've had more success with. I suppose this tank is not for me, and the T23 looks like more of the same.
Wish I could find the right play style for it.
Haven't tried the German mediums, I'll give them a try and see if I can get more fun in game play before wipe.

Urban_Scorp #36 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 17:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4105 battles
The Easy 8 is a better tank for its tier and it shows, but the T20 is no slouch.  So far it has been one of the easier tanks for me to kit out.  I didn't do any converting, just ran the stock model...which is admittedly lackluster but the 76mm is still not completely outclassed at this point, the high top speed can be reached with some hill assistance, lower tier tanks actually do have trouble penetrating your frontal armor, and the 1000 hit points are nothing to sneeze at.

My issues with the tank are as follows:
  • The engine upgrade seems superfluous, that 40 extra horsepower is noticeable but only just.  The stock tank struggles to get up hills and has issues attaining its top speed in perfectly flat road conditions.  The upgraded engine seems to be overwhelmed by the addition of the 90mm and 105mm guns placing you back where you were in terms of acceleration.  I would rather like the option for a third, more expensive engine such as the T23's however this may cause further identity issues as the T20 and T23 are the same tank with most of what separates them in tier being the engine and extra HP.
  • Seems to lose a crewman with every solid hit.  Personally I've been losing drivers constantly.  Nothing more embarrassing than dying to lower tier artillery because you can't manage more than 15kmph in a medium tank.  Had 6 kills that battle...that darned Grille (I think?) would have been my 7th and a win for my team.

Offhand things I've noticed:

The 105mm is a rapidly outclassed crutch.  I've found it useful for little more than annoying equal and higher tiers and fighting lower tiers.  In my experience the 90mm is better in almost every situation.  Admittedly I've never had much success with this slow-firing weapon and that taints my view.

The 90mm excels at popping Leopards, but then what doesn't at this tier?

The 90mm is a very solid weapon with good damage, reasonable reload, and nice penetration.  Even in tier 10 fights I can damage things considerably with a good amount of consistency.  If you follow the lessons of the holy 76mm you'll find no opponent you can't wound.  To those who don't understand the lessons (which apply to any medium tank):
  • Choose your battles.  Try not to engage alone or in an unfavorable situation.  You are a vulture, a hyena...act like it.  Encircle Kill Feast
  • Get behind them.  You can do the greatest harm to your enemy from behind.  In the words of one of my wacky friends, "...it's where they store their livings."
  • Aim for critical points.  Don't auto-aim unless you have to.  Every aimed shot has a considerably lowered chance of bouncing.  Bouncing is not fun.  Bouncing is death.

__SNIPER__74 #37 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 17:49

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24952 battles
T20 is ace,

Good camo, good movement, good gun, can depress it's gun quite good - also makes money out the arse.

Rhaark #38 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 20:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7 battles

View PostUrban_Scorp, on Mar 04 2011 - 17:46, said:

The Easy 8 is a better tank for its tier and it shows, but the T20 is no slouch.  So far it has been one of the easier tanks for me to kit out.  I didn't do any converting, just ran the stock model...which is admittedly lackluster but the 76mm is still not completely outclassed at this point, the high top speed can be reached with some hill assistance, lower tier tanks actually do have trouble penetrating your frontal armor, and the 1000 hit points are nothing to sneeze at.

My issues with the tank are as follows:
  • The engine upgrade seems superfluous, that 40 extra horsepower is noticeable but only just.  The stock tank struggles to get up hills and has issues attaining its top speed in perfectly flat road conditions.  The upgraded engine seems to be overwhelmed by the addition of the 90mm and 105mm guns placing you back where you were in terms of acceleration.  I would rather like the option for a third, more expensive engine such as the T23's however this may cause further identity issues as the T20 and T23 are the same tank with most of what separates them in tier being the engine and extra HP.
  • Seems to lose a crewman with every solid hit.  Personally I've been losing drivers constantly.  Nothing more embarrassing than dying to lower tier artillery because you can't manage more than 15kmph in a medium tank.  Had 6 kills that battle...that darned Grille (I think?) would have been my 7th and a win for my team.

Offhand things I've noticed:

The 105mm is a rapidly outclassed crutch.  I've found it useful for little more than annoying equal and higher tiers and fighting lower tiers.  In my experience the 90mm is better in almost every situation.  Admittedly I've never had much success with this slow-firing weapon and that taints my view.

The 90mm excels at popping Leopards, but then what doesn't at this tier?

The 90mm is a very solid weapon with good damage, reasonable reload, and nice penetration.  Even in tier 10 fights I can damage things considerably with a good amount of consistency.  If you follow the lessons of the holy 76mm you'll find no opponent you can't wound.  To those who don't understand the lessons (which apply to any medium tank):
  • Choose your battles.  Try not to engage alone or in an unfavorable situation.  You are a vulture, a hyena...act like it.  Encircle Kill Feast
  • Get behind them.  You can do the greatest harm to your enemy from behind.  In the words of one of my wacky friends, "...it's where they store their livings."
  • Aim for critical points.  Don't auto-aim unless you have to.  Every aimed shot has a considerably lowered chance of bouncing.  Bouncing is not fun.  Bouncing is death.

He just told me that sometimes feels like the 76mm was a better gun fit on T20 over 90mm his setup was Rammer, Vents not sure if he had 3rd slot filled out yet. Since he seemed to get drug up to tier 8+ battles most the time he ran almost solid HE rounds. I remember some hevy tank complaining about not ever being able to aim well while he was flanking him lol.

Angalacon #39 Posted Mar 04 2011 - 21:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 2354 battles

View PostTupinambis, on Feb 25 2011 - 00:02, said:

... You can usually penetrate the turret of a King Tiger ...
That is in no way something to brag about unless you're using a Tier 5 gun; the KT's turret armor is one big soft spot :D

del1000030716 #40 Posted Mar 05 2011 - 00:14

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postgabriel, on Mar 04 2011 - 17:49, said:

T20 is ace,

Good camo, good movement, good gun, can depress it's gun quite good - also makes money out the arse.

Dont say it loud or devs will raise its costs by 30% or more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users