Jump to content


The Story of a Noob. Or Am I? Or am I blinded by stats?

Noobs Deathaddict

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

deathaddict #1 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:00

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 220 battles
  • 437
  • [-TSF-] -TSF-
  • Member since:
    06-24-2012
So I've come to a weird epiphany just the other day when I was playing the KV-13. I thought about how far I've come and how much I've improved since the first day I started playing World of Tanks. (June 23rd 2012)
At roughly 2.8K battles. I see that I do fairly well in pubs when I play my "comfort" tanks like the IS3/IS/KV-1S/KV-13/ELC AMX.
So right now. My comfort nation for the team being is Russia. Does that mean I'm a noob? I feel as if playing the Russkies makes me a noob because pretty much everyone has a russian tank.
So lets move on to my journey.
When I reached about 1800~ battles give or take. I started worrying about my stats. Not because I'm a stat whore. But because I've come to the realization that I'm always the first one to die doing VERY little damage. :sceptic:
So I started watching these tips and guides from the Youtubers Pandycol, TheRiisingsun, Jingles and Quickybaby.
I'm not one for reading guides in forums. I'd rather watch them in action. And implement it into my playstyle.
Right off the bat. I noticed that these guys know where to fight. And how to win against all odds(most of the time).
So I started "copying" their styles with certain tanks that fit the criteria. And I realized I started getting better!
My preferred playstyle for the next 400-500 battles was Peek-A-Boom and scouting and I started learning and learning.
During all this time. I was actually also a wallet warrior. I used gold to free exp my way to get all the modules on the 3601 (H). :unsure:
And back when this thing was a medium. I gotta be bold about this. I felt like an ABSOLUTE BOSS playing this thing, The 3601 (H) made me realize that you can actually turn a loosing game into a winning one.
So to skip the boring stuff when I was learning as a newblet. I finally got the IS3. I played with the D25-T for the first 3 rounds. But realized the pen was ***(I know I'm a moron but at the time thats what I thought), So I used gold to get the BL-9, Tracks and the Turret.
And boy when I got the BL-9. I felt like I could screw everything over! But then I met the Maus/E100. And then I realized I still had much to learn.
So about 3 months ago. I started platooning with this awsome guy who knew a lot about the game and he showed me a ALOT of pointers. And a month or two ago. I joined the clan named LIMBO. I gotta say. This clan helped me with how to play the heavies like a mad man. And without Limbo. I gotta admit. I wouldn't have the stats I do today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the point of this thread. Is that have I actually reached as far as I thought I did? I see people in 3k battles and under rolling around every battle and it seems I don't even need to go all out to beat them.(Not trying to be conceited. Just generalizing from the matches I've been in)
The only thing I feel that I need now to become a great player is to learn Map positioning and tactics. It seems in this category. All my clan mates would DEFINITELY put me in a below 5/10 for this category.  I'd love it if some peeps helped me in the weekend with this  :smile:
As a side note. I don't know if anyone else see's this. But it seems like there are a lot of people out there in the forums with knowledge to say how to play or do something in the game when in reality. It seems like their stats say other wise.
Not trying to be a ***. But it seems some people are talking about something they think they know when in reality they don't.
Edit: Im talking about people with below 5K~ ish battles.
Edited for profanity.
~ Skyefire

Edited by Skyefire, Oct 31 2013 - 01:40.


hijkl22 #2 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:03

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21762 battles
  • 264
  • Member since:
    07-29-2012
i dont take this game to intense
yes i like to win and do good my be confident im  a good player
but over all its a video game for fun and i enjoy the game super fun

Keep it up WarGamming :great:

N2B2 #3 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:12

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13619 battles
  • 137
  • Member since:
    08-16-2013
You're Blind. :glasses:

IndygoEEI #4 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 61453 battles
  • 6,057
  • [K-H] K-H
  • Member since:
    01-06-2012
There's always something to learn in this game.  Today I found a useful spot on
Himmelsdorf to provide a position for flexible support.  You'll find sometimes stats are
misleading, but once you figure out what that player is doing by what he plays, then you'll
realize what they are capable of.

My stats speak volumes almost every single tank I've owned and played with are
manually grinded.  Has it lowered my Winrate more then it should?  Of course and it shows
my average tier being below most other players.   However all these experiences have
payed off in knowledge.  Every tank I play, I learn the ins and outs of more then just by
reading and observing.  Maybe using gold would have saved me a couple thousand
battles of pain, but I wouldn't trade the knowledge and experience for it.

Argon3 #5 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:19

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 29062 battles
  • 822
  • [PZB] PZB
  • Member since:
    10-11-2010
Unlike most you have actually read and learned
Well Done
One hint
Free XP the BL 10 on the ISU 152
My 28% win is now 52%
It will save you much pain
Peek a Boom does not always work
Figure out the draw distance vs View and that will  help alot
Great idea to help the Noobs
But the ones that REALLY need it don't read the forums.....

duckrunner79 #6 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:21

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24255 battles
  • 213
  • [LAX] LAX
  • Member since:
    09-02-2011
Just want to respond to one point you commented about.  There's nothing wrong with playing your favorite tanks.  In fact, it's the sign of a good player (in my opinion) that learns how to play well with a specific tank, as you are really getting into the mechanics of it, the what can I defeat, how should I play, etc.  That's all good practice for expanding onto other tanks, which most people do unless you're that guy who's played like 100,000 battles in an M3 Lee.

I_MISSED #7 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:29

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 2160 battles
  • 357
  • Member since:
    09-28-2013
Play for fun,,
WINNING IS FUN!!
play to win
** getting KVs then stopping for a 1000 or so battles **

Edited by I_MISSED, Oct 31 2013 - 01:44.


Deusoverkill #8 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:34

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 6753 battles
  • 491
  • Member since:
    03-30-2013
very good overall; just work a bit on your humility; let your higher stats and wisdom do the talking.
cheers!

Potemkyn #9 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:39

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 10186 battles
  • 308
  • Member since:
    06-18-2013
OMG - I need help!
We started about the same time
Completed about the same amount of battles (okay, I'm 200 shy)
Yet your stats smoke mine.
Are you willing to toon with a not so experienced player?

Edited by Potemkyn, Oct 31 2013 - 01:39.


Skyefire #10 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:43

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 272 battles
  • 315
  • Member since:
    05-29-2013
Glad that you are having fun learning and getting better! Winning is definitely part of the fun, and practice makes perfect. :-)

Cool_Man #11 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 01:54

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16426 battles
  • 117
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
Nice job improving early on makes it much easier to have good stats. I kinda started caring a bit too late and had quite a few bad platoon mates. :mellow:  Hope you continue to improve and enjoy the game!  :playing:

deathaddict #12 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 02:04

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 220 battles
  • 437
  • [-TSF-] -TSF-
  • Member since:
    06-24-2012

View PostPotemkyn, on Oct 31 2013 - 01:39, said:

OMG - I need help!
We started about the same time
Completed about the same amount of battles (okay, I'm 200 shy)
Yet your stats smoke mine.
Are you willing to toon with a not so experienced player?

You can catch me on Fridays/Saturdays. I'm on EST. So we'll see how it goes   :playing:

Wolf_Tank #13 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 02:18

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6651 battles
  • 187
  • Member since:
    09-17-2011
Looked at your stats.
http://images2.wikia...ot-bad-meme.jpg

NOT BAD!!!

AutismTanks #14 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 08:48

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 6378 battles
  • 45
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011
One thing I've learned and will pass on to you, is that...

# of battles =/= Skill

I've seen people with 40k+ battles who are absolutely horrendous and shouldn't be past tier 3, and then people with less than a thousand who will whipe the floor with you.

Mog_ #15 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 08:57

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 12260 battles
  • 869
  • Member since:
    01-02-2012
Great job deathaddict. I wish I'd learned as early on as you did.

AmorousRodeoClown #16 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 09:09

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 22802 battles
  • 500
  • [S0R] S0R
  • Member since:
    04-29-2012

View PostArgon3, on Oct 31 2013 - 01:19, said:

But the ones that REALLY need it don't read the forums.....
+1

Erik_Thorvaldsson #17 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 09:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29943 battles
  • 1,528
  • Member since:
    04-12-2012

View Postdeathaddict, on Oct 31 2013 - 01:00, said:

So I've come to a weird epiphany just the other day when I was playing the KV-13. I thought about how far I've come and how much I've improved since the first day I started playing World of Tanks. (June 23rd 2012)
At roughly 2.8K battles. I see that I do fairly well in pubs when I play my "comfort" tanks like the IS3/IS/KV-1S/KV-13/ELC AMX.
So right now. My comfort nation for the team being is Russia. Does that mean I'm a noob? I feel as if playing the Russkies makes me a noob because pretty much everyone has a russian tank.
So lets move on to my journey.
When I reached about 1800~ battles give or take. I started worrying about my stats. Not because I'm a stat whore. But because I've come to the realization that I'm always the first one to die doing VERY little damage. :sceptic:
So I started watching these tips and guides from the Youtubers Pandycol, TheRiisingsun, Jingles and Quickybaby.
I'm not one for reading guides in forums. I'd rather watch them in action. And implement it into my playstyle.
Right off the bat. I noticed that these guys know where to fight. And how to win against all odds(most of the time).
So I started "copying" their styles with certain tanks that fit the criteria. And I realized I started getting better!
My preferred playstyle for the next 400-500 battles was Peek-A-Boom and scouting and I started learning and learning.
During all this time. I was actually also a wallet warrior. I used gold to free exp my way to get all the modules on the 3601 (H). :unsure:
And back when this thing was a medium. I gotta be bold about this. I felt like an ABSOLUTE BOSS playing this thing, The 3601 (H) made me realize that you can actually turn a loosing game into a winning one.
So to skip the boring stuff when I was learning as a newblet. I finally got the IS3. I played with the D25-T for the first 3 rounds. But realized the pen was ***(I know I'm a moron but at the time thats what I thought), So I used gold to get the BL-9, Tracks and the Turret.
And boy when I got the BL-9. I felt like I could screw everything over! But then I met the Maus/E100. And then I realized I still had much to learn.
So about 3 months ago. I started platooning with this awsome guy who knew a lot about the game and he showed me a ALOT of pointers. And a month or two ago. I joined the clan named LIMBO. I gotta say. This clan helped me with how to play the heavies like a mad man. And without Limbo. I gotta admit. I wouldn't have the stats I do today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the point of this thread. Is that have I actually reached as far as I thought I did? I see people in 3k battles and under rolling around every battle and it seems I don't even need to go all out to beat them.(Not trying to be conceited. Just generalizing from the matches I've been in)
The only thing I feel that I need now to become a great player is to learn Map positioning and tactics. It seems in this category. All my clan mates would DEFINITELY put me in a below 5/10 for this category. I'd love it if some peeps helped me in the weekend with this :smile:
As a side note. I don't know if anyone else see's this. But it seems like there are a lot of people out there in the forums with knowledge to say how to play or do something in the game when in reality. It seems like their stats say other wise.
Not trying to be a jerk. But it seems some people are talking about something they think they know when in reality they don't.
Edit: Im talking about people with below 5K~ ish battles.


Pandy! Pandy is/was the most thorough WoT video producers this game has seen. That guy did meticulous research & made some of the best video presentations I have ever seen.

Geez I miss that guy & his videos. Too bad he's no longer doing those vids, they were the best!

170_Calories #18 Posted Oct 31 2013 - 19:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 20227 battles
  • 3,671
  • Member since:
    07-11-2011

View Postdeathaddict, on Oct 31 2013 - 01:00, said:

So I've come to a weird epiphany just the other day when I was playing the KV-13. I thought about how far I've come and how much I've improved since the first day I started playing World of Tanks. (June 23rd 2012)
At roughly 2.8K battles. I see that I do fairly well in pubs when I play my "comfort" tanks like the IS3/IS/KV-1S/KV-13/ELC AMX.
So right now. My comfort nation for the team being is Russia. Does that mean I'm a noob? I feel as if playing the Russkies makes me a noob because pretty much everyone has a russian tank.
So lets move on to my journey.
When I reached about 1800~ battles give or take. I started worrying about my stats. Not because I'm a stat whore. But because I've come to the realization that I'm always the first one to die doing VERY little damage. :sceptic:
So I started watching these tips and guides from the Youtubers Pandycol, TheRiisingsun, Jingles and Quickybaby.
I'm not one for reading guides in forums. I'd rather watch them in action. And implement it into my playstyle.
Right off the bat. I noticed that these guys know where to fight. And how to win against all odds(most of the time).
So I started "copying" their styles with certain tanks that fit the criteria. And I realized I started getting better!
My preferred playstyle for the next 400-500 battles was Peek-A-Boom and scouting and I started learning and learning.
During all this time. I was actually also a wallet warrior. I used gold to free exp my way to get all the modules on the 3601 (H). :unsure:
And back when this thing was a medium. I gotta be bold about this. I felt like an ABSOLUTE BOSS playing this thing, The 3601 (H) made me realize that you can actually turn a loosing game into a winning one.
So to skip the boring stuff when I was learning as a newblet. I finally got the IS3. I played with the D25-T for the first 3 rounds. But realized the pen was ***(I know I'm a moron but at the time thats what I thought), So I used gold to get the BL-9, Tracks and the Turret.
And boy when I got the BL-9. I felt like I could screw everything over! But then I met the Maus/E100. And then I realized I still had much to learn.
So about 3 months ago. I started platooning with this awsome guy who knew a lot about the game and he showed me a ALOT of pointers. And a month or two ago. I joined the clan named LIMBO. I gotta say. This clan helped me with how to play the heavies like a mad man. And without Limbo. I gotta admit. I wouldn't have the stats I do today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the point of this thread. Is that have I actually reached as far as I thought I did? I see people in 3k battles and under rolling around every battle and it seems I don't even need to go all out to beat them.(Not trying to be conceited. Just generalizing from the matches I've been in)
The only thing I feel that I need now to become a great player is to learn Map positioning and tactics. It seems in this category. All my clan mates would DEFINITELY put me in a below 5/10 for this category.  I'd love it if some peeps helped me in the weekend with this  :smile:
As a side note. I don't know if anyone else see's this. But it seems like there are a lot of people out there in the forums with knowledge to say how to play or do something in the game when in reality. It seems like their stats say other wise.
Not trying to be a ***. But it seems some people are talking about something they think they know when in reality they don't.
Edit: Im talking about people with below 5K~ ish battles.
Edited for profanity.
~ Skyefire
Gj bro we are glad to have ya





Also tagged with Noobs, Deathaddict

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users