"how many kills do YOU have?"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

AcidBath #21 Posted Mar 10 2011 - 22:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 276 battles

View PostGrunt_Dog, on Mar 10 2011 - 20:45, said:

Agree with this completely....I actually in my ISU with the BL10  shy away from shooting at targets that get down below 10% Hp left, unless they are real dangerous or have a very big gun (IE maus or VK or IS7).....Makes no sense to send a 600 - 900 damage, 1650 credit AP,   (3.6 ROF per min.) round at a 7% KV when something else is available with HP you can take.....Especially when it is weakened enough that others with smaller faster firing weapons can finish the job.........

Same here. I discovered early on that most of my teammates were focusing on the near dead opponents so I targeted elsewhere. That's fine with me though. Using higher tiered tanks with their much slower rate of fire, it becomes risky to waste a shot on something someone else can easily knock out.

colonelsanders17 #22 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 22:56

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9 battles
OP- Obviously you can't judge someone's skill based on one game where they could've done tons of damage without getting kills. Like I said before, if you have 1000 games those rare instances balance out to an accurate measure. There are games where you get lucky and get 8 kills and unlucky ones where you damage 8 people with no kills. These games get averaged out when looking at someone's entire record.

Rotorhead #23 Posted Apr 09 2011 - 15:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 92 battles

View Postsolipsistnation, on Mar 09 2011 - 22:09, said:

Yeah, I totally agree that kill count is only semi-meaningful when talking about how useful somebody was to the team. I know there have been games when I've been driving, say, an SPG and while I've damaged half a dozen enemies I haven't killed any. The cries of "noob arty" from dead teammates are always entertaining.

I also disagree that the best tanker might be the one killed right off. Suicide scouts are pretty useful, although daring-but-not-suicidal-scouts are better.

Scouts that go in and show the "big picture" ARE useful, but timing is important. First thing in the battle it is frequently wasted, as the arty is ready to fire and the other team hasn't had a chance to move much yet. Better to wait til the arty is ready and the "big boys" can do something with the info the sacrifice gives them.  :Smile-bajan2:

qpqpqp #24 Posted Apr 10 2011 - 14:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 229 battles
Although there are a lot of nuances regarding what counts most when, one thing we all seem to agree upon is that one thing that is never important by itself is number of Kills.  So... why does the game display them prominently, in every match, as the only readily accessible statistic!?  The kill-obsession is already bad (luckily it seems to get better as you move away from tier 3 matches), and it's going to get a LOT worse April 12th.  You have to wonder WHY?

Kra2822 #25 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 15:39

Private

• Players
  • 1214 battles

View Postqpqpqp, on Apr 10 2011 - 14:40, said:

Although there are a lot of nuances regarding what counts most when, one thing we all seem to agree upon is that one thing that is never important by itself is number of Kills.  So... why does the game display them prominently, in every match, as the only readily accessible statistic!?  The kill-obsession is already bad (luckily it seems to get better as you move away from tier 3 matches), and it's going to get a LOT worse April 12th.  You have to wonder WHY?

I blame the FPS genre.

the_moidart #26 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 21:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30486 battles
Kills dont matter. Win percentage does. Statistically speaking in random battles, where the options are win or lose (or draw, but that rarely happens) if you play enough battles you should be at 50%.Averaged over hundreds of games, its the number that shows whether you are dragging your team down or pulling them through.

I've seen obsessive players with 59% win ratios - I take that to mean they're pretty dang good. Whereas when I got a 38% win ration on an SU-76, that meant both that the vehicle sucked and I wasn't using it very well. Over enough games, you can't blame bad luck.

colonelsanders17 #27 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 05:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9 battles

View Postthe_moidart, on Apr 11 2011 - 21:59, said:

Kills dont matter. Win percentage does. Statistically speaking in random battles, where the options are win or lose (or draw, but that rarely happens) if you play enough battles you should be at 50%.Averaged over hundreds of games, its the number that shows whether you are dragging your team down or pulling them through.

I've seen obsessive players with 59% win ratios - I take that to mean they're pretty dang good. Whereas when I got a 38% win ration on an SU-76, that meant both that the vehicle sucked and I wasn't using it very well. Over enough games, you can't blame bad luck.

I think it's the same for kills/deaths in that you can't blame anyone for bad luck such as kill steals or bad team mates. No matter what you are still only 1/15 people on the team. Also, it really only matters if you are tier 9 or above because you will rarely make a big difference in the outcome if you're in a low tier tank. Unless you are one of the top tanks it really doesn't matter if you play your best since you can't even damage most of the enemy team.

People look at kill/death since it's the only definitive individual statistic along with damage done. You can get a win by dieing within the first 3 minutes and doing nothing, you usually don't get 8 kills by relying on your team mates.

MarcLloydz #28 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 09:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 3174 battles
they need to put team players status % next to names.

GenPatton_UK #29 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 09:41

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 26145 battles
Why bother to keep adding , who shot who stats, who got more percentage during battles ... Its a TEAM  game , and about time people realised this and forget about boasting rights .. if you dont like the way it is , you know where the leave game icon is . There are too may kids teamkilling and generaly being a pain the the butt, during gaming and have no real idea how to play a map , or to even use the vehicles to their full abilities. The object is either to kill all tanks or capture the flag .. SIMPLES.

So stop whining , grow a pair and start playing as a team ,, sooner people do that , the better the game play !!!!!!!

Rotorhead #30 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 15:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 92 battles

View Postqpqpqp, on Apr 10 2011 - 14:40, said:

+1 agreed. I think the only time a kill "matters" is if you took that tank from 100% to 0% on your own. When i first started playing, i shot a tiger in the flank from kinda close range in my Luchs, and it blew up! I thought, "Wow! that was great!". Then i saw my XP at the end, and realized i did very little damage, and was rewarded accordingly.

The one good thing about kills: You DO take an enemy gun off the battlefield, so it can't hurt a team mate. Lots of times, tanks near death still have a perfectly functioning gun and are still a danger to others. So shoot them up, and if they die under your hand or a team mates, it's all good. Just don't get to thinkin' the actual total matters.

Rotorhead #31 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 15:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 92 battles

View PostGenPatton_UK, on Apr 12 2011 - 09:41, said:

Why bother to keep adding , who shot who stats, who got more percentage during battles ... Its a TEAM  game , and about time people realised this and forget about boasting rights .. if you dont like the way it is , you know where the leave game icon is . There are too may kids teamkilling and generaly being a pain the the butt, during gaming and have no real idea how to play a map , or to even use the vehicles to their full abilities. The object is either to kill all tanks or capture the flag .. SIMPLES.

So stop whining , grow a pair and start playing as a team ,, sooner people do that , the better the game play !!!!!!!

Agreed, and i think we'll see more team play after Beta, when clans train to play together, and you aren't playing with total strangers each and every game with only 30 seconds to pick a leader and a plan - or not.  :Smile_honoring:

Rotorhead #32 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 16:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 92 battles

View Postcolonelsanders17, on Apr 12 2011 - 05:14, said:

I think it's the same for kills/deaths in that you can't blame anyone for bad luck such as kill steals or bad team mates. No matter what you are still only 1/15 people on the team. Also, it really only matters if you are tier 9 or above because you will rarely make a big difference in the outcome if you're in a low tier tank. Unless you are one of the top tanks it really doesn't matter if you play your best since you can't even damage most of the enemy team.

People look at kill/death since it's the only definitive individual statistic along with damage done. You can get a win by dieing within the first 3 minutes and doing nothing, you usually don't get 8 kills by relying on your team mates.

Afraid i don't agree. You CAN make a HUGE difference as a low tier light tank if you can scout for your arty, help your heavies see the targets and maneuver effectively. And if you got 8 kills, that means someone was wearing those enemies down for you. "Playing your best" for the team is not the same as doing the best for yourself. :blink:

Major_Konig #33 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 16:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 21 battles
A week ago  :Smile_honoring:
http://s7.directupload.net/images/110412/zjy3n3wc.jpg  

http://s1.directupload.net/images/110412/nup592bh.jpg

viper244 #34 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 19:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 10203 battles
Wow.  I usually ignore the cornballs who scream about 'noob arty' or 'wtf arty' or whatever as I drop shell after shell on on enemy tanks.  Course they are the ones knocked out in the first 30 seconds because they decided to take their tier 4-5 tank point blank with a 7-8 and don't understand or have enough knowledge to realize that a 20 second reload is motivation to hold fire for a good hit.  I'll admit I have from time to time taken to their trolling when they make it personal, just cheapens the experience of the game though.  Good Luck all!

GenPatton_UK #35 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 19:52

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 26145 battles

View PostMajor_Konig, on Apr 12 2011 - 16:08, said:

Only 10 kills ?

Major_Konig #36 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 21:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 21 battles
What you mean "only"? :unsure:
10 in one fight.
Before wipe total score was 197. I play couple weeks.
On RU server from Aug '10.
http://s1.directupload.net/images/110412/fa73n9ig.jpg

GenPatton_UK #37 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 21:45

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 26145 battles
beat you by 1 more kill .. thats all................http://i13.photobuck...pg?t=1302641698

Major_Konig #38 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 21:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 21 battles
:)
I have a friend, he had 15 kills in 1 fight on Panzerjager I.
It's not a joke, crystal true.

GenPatton_UK #39 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 21:53

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 26145 battles
gotta see that , post a pic please

Major_Konig #40 Posted Apr 12 2011 - 21:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 21 battles
Wait few minutes, I remember his nickname and watch his stats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users