Wespe It packs a sting!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

jdtherocker #1 Posted Mar 10 2011 - 19:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13946 battles
I love the wespe other then its bad turning capability that thing packs a  punch its fairly powerful and punch through armour!! what do you guys/girls like about it?

Boxers #2 Posted Mar 12 2011 - 00:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9401 battles
  • [BIMBO] BIMBO
People actually like this thing?!

Slow aim time, massive target reticle, slow rate of fire, slow moving....what part of it do you like exactly? Or have you just not tried other nation's tier 3 arty?

Dersico #3 Posted Mar 12 2011 - 01:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1634 battles
The Wespe waaaayy outranges the other tier 3 SPGs and does more damage, I think.

Also, the Wespe >> Grille grind is less than the Sturmpanzer II >> Grille grind

Boxers #4 Posted Mar 12 2011 - 04:55

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9401 battles
  • [BIMBO] BIMBO

View PostDersico, on Mar 12 2011 - 01:00, said:

The Wespe waaaayy outranges the other tier 3 SPGs and does more damage, I think.

Also, the Wespe >> Grille grind is less than the Sturmpanzer II >> Grille grind

I've had to resort to using it almost entirely for counter battery because of the long range and inability to lock on to the small/fast lights and mediums in its tiers.

It might be a smaller grind in absolute numbers, but when you're earning so much less per match than a real arty it works out longer in the end. Maybe some people get this thing to work for them but it's a bad fit for the way I like to play arty.

Dersico #5 Posted Mar 12 2011 - 07:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1634 battles
The 10.5 cm the wespe uses needs direct hits for damage because the splash damage range is smaller than the shell tracer's width  :Smile_great:

Shackram #6 Posted Mar 12 2011 - 14:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 9156 battles
  • [PSTNS] PSTNS

View PostBoxers, on Mar 12 2011 - 00:39, said:

People actually like this thing?!

Slow aim time, massive target reticle, slow rate of fire, slow moving....what part of it do you like exactly? Or have you just not tried other nation's tier 3 arty?

It's like a mini Hummel, just not as fast as the Hummel.

But it's gun packs a very strong punch for the tier and the longer ranges makes it better to CB. The flat trajectory makes it harder to hit over cover.

Both it and the Su-26 are good for it's tier, Wespe is good to pound stronger tanks from long range since it hits for about double damage than the Su-26-122. The Su-26 you shot fast for less damage, have good accuracy and shorter range. They kinda balance out;

But you have to use the Wespe or StmPz II to get to the Hummel(unless you get it from the PzIV) and the Wespe is definitely better than the StmPz II, at least in my opinion.

scorpio290 #7 Posted Mar 20 2011 - 02:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 75 battles
I have the Wespe and I love it. In my last match I destroyed a tank in one hit. I also get more credits than what I make with other tanks.

Deathzwei #8 Posted Mar 21 2011 - 02:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 5630 battles
Well, every SPGs have pros and cons. I'd prefer using Wespe rather than Sturmpanzer II when I move up the German SPG tech tree.

Good damage for its tier, very good range, can even shoot outside the map for some smaller maps.

Anyway, bad aiming time, bad effective range (the range when the reticle is a nice round circle, not a long and thing ellipse, which you'd miss a lot). Bad reload time for its tier as well. For low tier, people'd prefer low reload time, not massive 10s or 20s.

Brimley #9 Posted Mar 22 2011 - 21:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDeathzwei, on Mar 21 2011 - 02:26, said:

Well, every SPGs have pros and cons. I'd prefer using Wespe rather than Sturmpanzer II when I move up the German SPG tech tree.

Good damage for its tier, very good range, can even shoot outside the map for some smaller maps.

Anyway, bad aiming time, bad effective range (the range when the reticle is a nice round circle, not a long and thing ellipse, which you'd miss a lot). Bad reload time for its tier as well. For low tier, people'd prefer low reload time, not massive 10s or 20s.

I play the Wespe all the time, in fact I elited it and trained most of the crew already.  I actually downgraded to it since I wanted to be able to fire right from the start of the round instead of relocating for 5 minutes and then fire.  Since it has the range to reach the other base in just about every map, it comes in handy.  I can take out any artillery anywhere on the other team with this thing.

My philosophy is if the enemy gets to the point where they break through or flank us to our base and take me out, the team lost anyway so there's not much point in drawing the match out.  Plus, when you're actually able to shoot across the map and hide quickly with a trained crew + camo net, you can pick a nice remote spot and have a relaxing game :)

For some reason, I find it easy to aim.  I just put the target towards the front of the reticle, not quite in the center and I manage some solid hits.  Also, the "X" key is your best friend!

sadow333 #10 Posted Mar 24 2011 - 01:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 85 battles

View PostDeathzwei, on Mar 21 2011 - 02:26, said:

the shot have more chance of hitting when it's a ellipse, but auto lead (where you mouse over the enemy tank and it automatically pulls the aimer back) ruins it because it always center the aim at the top, if you know how to manually lead, then it would be much easier to hit with a ellipse rather than a circle.
also I have to add that wespe's range is also a disadvantage, as you have a shallower firing arc, thus you would be unable to hit across most buildings, unlike the SU-26.

Masamunect #11 Posted Mar 28 2011 - 16:55

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5898 battles
  • [5PANZ] 5PANZ
I had my Wespe and almost sold it.
Then I played it again and got 3 kills all of them one shots.
My reload was slow then I retrained my loaders to 100% and bought the gun rammer, it's reload is cut down and isn't as annoying.

On most maps I can hit from base to base and hit my target most of the time.

I had almost given up on SPGs because often I would be knocked out before I got a shot.

The slow turn radius sucks as an enemy tank drove past me, I sighed in relief thinking he didn't see me when suddenly his turret turned towards me and he rolled around and shot. It took out my gun on the first shot, took out my track on the second and killed me on the third.

I hate it when someone comes to a stop, you think they're going to sit there so you fire and then they move.
So annoying.

Thracius #12 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 10:07

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I don't know how the WoT developers figure Wespe belongs in the same tier as the sturmpanzer, it's so much better

105mm L28 for the win!

Brannagyn #13 Posted May 29 2011 - 03:18

Private

• Players
  • 1099 battles
Just started using the Wespe, crew at 75 but nothing else so far. Last match damaged three tanks and took out one with indirect fire then one shot three tanks as they closed in to capture. Probably not going to be the regular play of things but, for its Tier, its gun packs a hell of a punch as a TD.

Uncle_Lou #14 Posted May 29 2011 - 17:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6280 battles
I like the range on the Wespe, but I find the reload time to be longer than other same tier spgs, so my shots were landing just after the other arty had zapped the target. The gun also seems a bit inaccurate, as I had a few shots with the smallest round reticle over a non-moving target and would get a miss to one side.  The higher damage of the Wespe vs the Sturm is nice, but I noticed the penetration on the Wespe seems a bit low. Not familiar enough yet with arty to know how much difference that makes, but I feel like I had more one shot kills with the Sturm. Could be a factor of the tier matchups and a bit of luck, so its hard to say definitively.

mrking1607 #15 Posted Jun 14 2011 - 05:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 5722 battles
  • [A-WLV] A-WLV
Its firepower is great but accuracy sucks

Leoperd_2_ace #16 Posted Jul 01 2011 - 21:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10862 battles
accuracy is a problem but when you get a hit its major, i can do a bout 10 damge to an IS-1 :Smile_great:

i just upgraded my loaders to 100%, i will see if that speeds up the reload issiue any

also how long can you keep the Med cal arty Rammer in the german line? Hummel or GW panther

Edit

OMG dose the loaders at 100% help, cut reload by 50-75% :D
75% gunner helps big time, im acually completly zeroed by next shot :lol:

look out here comes Wespe :Smile-playing:
cant wait for big brother Hummel