Map rotation

stale maps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Act7 #1 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 07:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
There are about 30 maps in WoT

over the last week I have seen:

Highway
Cliff
Himmelsdorf
Malinovka
Karelia
Sacred Valley
Lakeville

That's only 7 maps

Where's Murovanka, South Coast, Steppes, Swamp, Tundra, Abbey, Mountain Pass, and Siegfried Line.

I haven't seen some of those maps in over a week, hell I don't think I've been on Siegfried Line this entire month.

I'm sick of seeing the same few maps over and over again, WG really needs to get there map rotation fixed because this is getting really dull.

Genesis0071 #2 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 07:31

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Oh didn't you hear?

There may be lots of maps but you only ever get given a random set of 4 different maps per day.  :trollface:

But in all seriousness it does feel like you only ever get the same few maps each day, they really should do something about that.  :mellow:

Hunter_Steel #3 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 07:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I see Campinovka and Derpshire so many times I am sick of them, and yesterday I ended up with Derpenberg 6 times in a row on Assault and Encounter....

~Hunter

shadowhazcookie #4 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 07:33

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
There are a few that were added to the tier restricted list.

Act7 #5 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 07:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postshadowhazcookie, on Nov 23 2013 - 07:33, said:

There are a few that were added to the tier restricted list.

Yeah but that only accounts for Province and Wide Park.

slartifastbard #6 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 08:09

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I got Serene Coast about 5 times tonight, don't like that map.  On the positive side, didn't see Port once.

cbdrag #7 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 08:22

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I played the same tank 6 times in a row and each time got Serene Coast.  The good side was I knew the map so well I won 5 out of 6.  I quit playing for a couple of days to see if they would load a map that has more outhouses and doghouses to run through.

rbman #8 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 08:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
That is weird I played like 30 games today and I played on every single map you listed and 2 more.

MacTavishAUS #9 Posted Nov 23 2013 - 10:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Yes, their map pack rotations are terrible and have been for a while. At least they could add a larger number of maps to their group rotations for the time period set. It does get annoying.

MacTavishAUS

Brizent #10 Posted Nov 24 2013 - 03:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well atleast you see Himmeldorf unlike me.

VonWeber #11 Posted Nov 24 2013 - 03:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
There is no such thing as a "Map Rotation." Maps are assigned by a Random Number Generator, and your chances of seeing them in any sort of order is zero. Granted, some maps are restricted by Tier, but don't expect to ever "win" the map "lottery" -- the more often you're assigned to play on a particular map doesn't count for anything.

Rosh87 #12 Posted Nov 24 2013 - 10:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostVonWeber, on Nov 24 2013 - 03:46, said:

There is no such thing as a "Map Rotation." Maps are assigned by a Random Number Generator, and your chances of seeing them in any sort of order is zero. Granted, some maps are restricted by Tier, but don't expect to ever "win" the map "lottery" -- the more often you're assigned to play on a particular map doesn't count for anything.

I've read / heard exactly the Opposite.  That there IS a Map Rotation of sorts.  Basically, IIRC, the game server cannot "handle" the demands of loading all 30 or so maps into its "active memory" at any one time.  What it does, instead, is select a random package of 8 ? (I think it was 8) maps that it can put you into, and it rotates this every few hours (I forget the exact time-table I'd heard cited - more than 1-hour IIRC).

This is why, on some nights, you literally see the same map 3 times out of 5 battles.  The chance of that happening, if the RNG was truly drawing "randomly" out of all 30+ maps, is virtually nil.  But, if it's only choosing out of 7 or 8 possible "picks", then yeah - the chance of seeing the same map back-to-back, or 4 times out of 10, etc - is massively higher.

* If you are rotating tiers a lot, you can get more variety because a few of the maps are Tier-specific.

For example, for max variety you could try something like this:

Battle-1:   Tiger-2....map...Abbey.

Battle-2:   T29.....map....El Halluf

Battle-4:   T18 td ...map....Province (tier restricted)

Battle-5:  FV-183...map....Northwest

Battle-6:  Excelsior....map....Wide Park (tier restricted)

----------

That way you might get a bit more "play / variety" out of the rotation than if you played the same tier, for all 6 battles.

* again - this is based on what I've heard / read somewhere before - maybe on FTR some months ago - I forget.  Clearly the map rotation is not entirely random though, or you would never have 4 of 7 or such all being the same map, as you can often get (at present), playing the same tier, battle after battle.

* Tier-1 tanks, for example, are literally locked into just 4 maps total:  Mines, Malinovka, Himmelsdorf, and Province.

You_Missed_This_Tank #13 Posted Nov 24 2013 - 15:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Confirmed. Teir 1 tanks are restricted to Mines, Malinovka, Himsldorf, and Province, and Wide Park is "4-6" but due to the not-always-perfect MM sometimes teir 3s see it as well.
Edit: I meant "Wide Park" insted of "Westfield".