help on waffentrager pz. iv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

_TreeHugger_ #1 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 19:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7742 battles
  • [SNRK] SNRK
I unlocked the waffentrager pz. Iv lastnight after grinding through the borsig waffle (wasn't exactly a grind since it was so enjoyable to play).  

Few issues im having with the w. Pz. Iv are:

1. Gun depression seems to be very bad, hard to adjust to terrain without exposing the entire tank.

2. Without too much experience in rear turreted tanks, im having a hard time maneuvering... maybe practice is the key? I've seen a few people driving the thing backwards. I guess with paper thin armor and engine in the front could be a good idea.

3. Seems like I need to research the tracks before anything else, but which gun should I get? Jgd tiger gun? Or the 15cm?

4. Requires 6 crew members coming from 4 (borsig waffle)

What I like about this td so far, very small profile, good camo rating. Had a few lucky bunces believe or not. Also ate a few shots with the tracks.

Anyone have any experience on this tank that would like to add some suggestions?

kapsiolaaaa #2 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 19:25

Major

• Players
  • 12834 battles
i heard its more OP than WFT. From a purple player.
Its camo is serious threat. You need to be good at playing panther or leo series or any 2nd row sniper.

SpartanCrusader #3 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 19:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16532 battles
Don't know the answer to the other questions, but the 128mm gun seems like the better choice in every aspect except alpha.

icoleman #4 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 19:42

Major

• Players
  • 5856 battles
  • [ARMDA] ARMDA
Well I know it has bad depression due to it being an AA Flak weapon. It's not supposed to aim downward at all.

RazrTRiG #5 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 19:45

Captain

• Players
  • 2243 battles
You can turn the tank backwards and point your gun from the rear of the tank, so that your front is facing away from the target and your back is facing the enemy.

Armor ain't no issue, it's paper all around, and this maneuver gives more depression.

kapsiolaaaa #6 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 20:05

Major

• Players
  • 12834 battles
If you go center on lakeville and try to hit city, Just reverse into the mountain cliff and your tank is no more flat but tilted with its rear high than the front - this gives you added gun depression.
I know you wont need gun dep in that location since city is flat or high but i was just giving an example. Reverse if you want to peek out and shoot. since you are not exposing most of your tank.

Erich2142 #7 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 20:09

Captain

• Players
  • 25133 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View Postkapsiolaaaa, on Nov 25 2013 - 19:25, said:

i heard its more OP than WFT. From a purple player.
Its camo is serious threat. You need to be good at playing panther or leo series or any 2nd row sniper.

Its not OP when you dont have armor, and no such a thing called camo.

jjar35 #8 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 20:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 8715 battles
  • [DICE] DICE
I have about a 100 games in mine.

First to fix depression, aim your gun backwards you will get more depression because there is nothing blocking it's downward traverse.

Camo is huge!! I have full Camo crew, Camo net, sixth sense, and Camo paint and I can shoot people all day from 100m and not get spotted.

Use the 12 mm gun it is way better than the 15cm derp. A lot cheaper as well. Great pen can go through any tank in the game.

GL HF

-JarJar

_TreeHugger_ #9 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 21:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7742 battles
  • [SNRK] SNRK
Cool! Thanks guys for the input! It still feels very odd aiming backwards. And trying to maneuver reverse but im loving this TD so far even without the jgd tiger gun yet.

Razavn #10 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 21:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20490 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
I've been using the JTs gun (granted I've been firing APCR for the added shell velocity) and been having an utter blast with this tank (3700 DPG).

My advice is to get camo skill ASAP. If this thing gets spotted it's dead and no other skills will be able to save you (6th sense is also a must).

As for the gun depression...yes it's bad. What I typically do is get into a firing position and then turn around so that my ass is to the enemy (and wait for camo net and binocs to set up). The advantages of doing this is that you get 5 degrees of depression (as opposed to 2) and that if you get spotted you can go forwards as opposed to backwards to get to cover. Additionally if you have a rock, put your side up to it and reverse out when ready to fire.

Another tip (for instance on El Halluf) is to actually go down the initial slope just a bit. That way you can use your fantastic elevation as opposed to your crap depression.