• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

Caskie1_Actual #1 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16212 battles
  • [MCLD] MCLD

POPULAR

I don't often post, but after a particularly unrewarding weekend where I started ranting at people in the game, I decided I better step back a bit and re-learn to play as the player I WANT to be. A little self analysis later, I realized I needed to get off my chest what really irks me about the game in public matches.

Thank you to all of the players who have taken the time to post thoughtful/helpful articles in WoT or on the internet that I have listed at the bottom of this article. I have read them and agree (mostly) with their content. Props and credits for the authors.

*caveat - I am guilty of all of the below from time to time, except #1-ever.
1. Why do Noobs shoot randomly when starting out from their own cap? Stop. It’s stupid, wastes YOUR money and you often hit people on your own team.
2. Why is it always a clusterfluck for Noobs to leave their own cap at the start of a game? Stop. Pay attention. Watch where you’re going.
3. Why do Noobs always run out and die? Stop. EVERY tank can make a contribution. Rushing to get to a safe spot before the enemy gets set up is fine, but suicide scouting is not.
4. Why do Noobs always ask stupid questions in the middle of a game or start a flame war with other players? Stop. PLAY THE 'EFFING GAME. If you’re dead, be helpful and watch the map.
5. Why do Noobs run way out in front of everyone, and then scream for help? Stop. Wait for your team to catch up, or don’t run off in the first place. No heavy tank can keep up with your light butt.
6. Why do Noobs only look at the map at the start and spam everyone with all of the known choke points and then forget about the map the rest of the game? Stop. We ALL KNOW THE MAPS. Pay attention to it during the battle. Situational awareness will keep you alive.
7. Why do Noobs always ask if a tank is good as the game starts? Stop. Go to youtube or wikitank and research them there. You honestly don’t want my opinion, even though I have 10+K games, I play differently and I might like tanks you don't.
8. Why do Noobs tell everyone else to reset a cap? Stop. If you see your base being capped, go back and stop it yourself. Do not rely on anyone else. If you have a very slow tank, that’s acceptable to not try to stop cap, but otherwise, try.
9. When in arty or near arty, why do Noobs always knock down trees and other objects? Stop. If I am enemy arty, I WILL SHOOT YOU. Knocking down bushes when rolling through the woods tells the whole world where you are.
10. If arty targets an enemy (and you’ll know he has when the icon over the enemy tank lights up and you get a message), DO NOT FACEHUG the target. Arty is going to fire, or the shell might already be on the way. Stop. Any damage you take is your own fault.
11. Why do Noobs get pissed when as Arty, I cannot Fedex a shell the moment they call for one? Stop. I have the whole map to cover, and may be engaging someone else. Disengage and I will service your target when I am free. Arty is at max only 25% of the team.
12. Why do Noobs always bitch about kill stealing? Damage and survival are the key to winning. If there is a damaged tank in my sights, I will take the shot. If you did 75% of the damage, you’ll get most of the experience. The ONLY time it is NOT acceptable to kill steal is when someone calls for a target because they are about to get top gun or a medal for the series of kills in a game (like Radley Walters Medal). Let them have it. Never steal a “called” kill.
13. Why do Noobs complain about people using gold ammo? You can buy gold with credits, and in many cases, it’s an efficient way to deal damage to a higher tier tank. Stop. I ALWAYS carry gold in my Chaffee for example, because the MM is very difficult.
14. Why do Noobs always complain in the opening seconds of a match about the MM? Stop. Go read the forums about the mechanics of MM. Short of being in a bad platoon because you or your platoon mates chose the wrong tanks to pair, MM ALWAYS works the same way. Read about it at the link provided helpfully below.
15. Why do Noobs never stop to think that a player on their team might be relatively new, and thus not know any better when doing something wrong. Stop. Don’t rage. Help. If your stats are under 48%, you have no room to talk smack. Get better and then pay it forward.

Good Links for learning:
http://forum.worldof...-friendly-tips/
http://forum.worldof...ot-avoid-these/
http://forum.worldof...70#entry5731070
http://forum.worldof...y-work-for-you/
http://forum.worldof...ficial-version/
http://wiki.worldoft...ics#Matchmaking
http://www.worldofta...ers-guide.shtml
http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page

GrimJahk #2 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:29

Captain

• Players
  • 13099 battles
Worthy read. +1

SULOMON #3 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:29

Major

• Players
  • 6853 battles
I shoot my gun at the beginning of the match so I have something to do.

tmeierle #4 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3830 battles
  • [-100-] -100-
Thanks for telling me what a noob is.

greatalex #5 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15857 battles
Well, I shoot the crap in the cap for no cover. = I'm a noob aye?

blueboyzcaptain #6 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:35

Sergeant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 27913 battles

View Postgreatalex, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:34, said:

That's exactly what the OP said. Good on you for above average reading skills. /sarcasm

GOIVIT #7 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 16115 battles
  • [G-M-U] G-M-U
Great post!

Nimrodor #8 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:38

Major

• Players
  • 12818 battles
I do the following, and do it for a reason:
1. If I spawn far from the cap circle, I'll shoot down the trash in the center. If I'm in a hurry, I'll shoot down objects in my way that could slow me down.
2. Sometimes you need to get in the way of, say, the TD about to set up in a worthless position.
4. Enemies who have been flamed are far less effective. It's sometimes just funny when you insult a player at a chokepoint, wait a few seconds, and pop out to shoot while they're typing.
5. Sometimes I'm just below the cliff on the enemy's side of the map and the people shooting me are on our side of the map. Shoot them!
6. Lakeville. Don't head valley. Don't head valley. Don't head valley. You know to head city, but they don't.
7. I'm not asking you. I'm asking the unicum on the other team in the same tank.
8. I'm near the base, but I'm pinned! Someone else needs to go, I can't!
9. And provides me with extra cover against everything that isn't arty.
10. If I am facehugging him, I am confident that I will win, or I am on the far side of the enemy. If you shoot me, that's your fault.
14. See 4.
15. See Garbad. Don't protect noobs from reality, it won't make them better.

Siegewolf #9 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:40

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 31978 battles
Problem is that all of these have been discussed before but the people we are trying to reach don't read the forums or just don't care.  Seen far too many fail-10's that leads me to believe that there is a significant segment of the WoT playerbase that thinks this game is single player.
Still I agree with your post OP.

greatalex #10 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15857 battles

View Postblueboyzcaptain, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:35, said:

That's exactly what the OP said. Good on you for above average reading skills. /sarcasm

I just had to say it. >:3

Caskie1_Actual #11 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16212 battles
  • [MCLD] MCLD

View Postgreatalex, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:34, said:

I tried to be clear by saying randomly shoot...  If you are destroying cover, that's one thing.  I do think it smart to destroy cover in your own cap, so if needed later you can see to defend.  But randomly shooting your cannon in the vicinity of your team mates often leads to Team Damage.  Real life gun safety rules would be helpful to follow.

Tete_pas_de_Poule #12 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 80892 battles
  • [WN] WN
Worthy read too +100, Great post!

Edited by Tintin_GIS, Dec 04 2013 - 18:46.

Caskie1_Actual #13 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16212 battles
  • [MCLD] MCLD

View PostNimrodor, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:38, said:

I do the following, and do it for a reason:
1. If I spawn far from the cap circle, I'll shoot down the trash in the center. If I'm in a hurry, I'll shoot down objects in my way that could slow me down.
2. Sometimes you need to get in the way of, say, the TD about to set up in a worthless position.
4. Enemies who have been flamed are far less effective. It's sometimes just funny when you insult a player at a chokepoint, wait a few seconds, and pop out to shoot while they're typing.
5. Sometimes I'm just below the cliff on the enemy's side of the map and the people shooting me are on our side of the map. Shoot them!
6. Lakeville. Don't head valley. Don't head valley. Don't head valley. You know to head city, but they don't.
7. I'm not asking you. I'm asking the unicum on the other team in the same tank.
8. I'm near the base, but I'm pinned! Someone else needs to go, I can't!
9. And provides me with extra cover against everything that isn't arty.
10. If I am facehugging him, I am confident that I will win, or I am on the far side of the enemy. If you shoot me, that's your fault.
14. See 4.
15. See Garbad. Don't protect noobs from reality, it won't make them better.

I appreciate what you're saying, and will admit there are exceptions to every rule.  Good/Great players can pull off many things that Noobs should never try, but they "monkey see, monkey do".  So, while you note exceptions that you might use often with success, most players wouldn't understand what you're doing, nor apply the same principles effectively.  Thus my post.

Haunting_Specter #14 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 18:57

Private

• Players
  • 258 battles
another one: why do noobs postition themselves in a postition that an allie could use more effectively(TD)

SilkySmooth #15 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 30719 battles

View PostCaskie1_Actual, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:23, said:

1. Why do Noobs shoot randomly when starting out from their own cap? Stop. It’s stupid, wastes YOUR money and you often hit people on your own team.

Answer: "When the battle begins, please for the love of god START SHOOTING RANDOMLY. So many forget to do this. It gets the barrel warmed up, gets rid of those few useless shells weighing down the tank, lets your team know you mean business and most importantly puts them on a nice healthy edge so they are used to being shot at." - Buddy_Deeds

I wish I had a link to that Buddy_Deeds post. It was so damn funny.

Caskie1_Actual #16 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 19:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16212 battles
  • [MCLD] MCLD

View PostSilkySmooth, on Dec 04 2013 - 19:00, said:

Answer: "When the battle begins, please for the love of god START SHOOTING RANDOMLY. So many forget to do this. It gets the barrel warmed up, gets rid of those few useless shells weighing down the tank, lets your team know you mean business and most importantly puts them on a nice healthy edge so they are used to being shot at." - Buddy_Deeds

I wish I had a link to that Buddy_Deeds post. It was so damn funny.

LOLOLOL, made me laugh.  +1 for you.

smitemeister #17 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 19:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 20774 battles

View PostHaunting_Specter, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:57, said:

another one: why do noobs postition themselves in a postition that an allie could use more effectively(TD)
Yes! I must have played a handful of games yesterday where one or more of the top tier heavies was camping out at OUR base.
16. Know your tank and its role on the team

Edited by smitemeister, Dec 04 2013 - 19:16.

Lert #18 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 19:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles

View PostCaskie1_Actual, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:23, said:

12. Why do Noobs always bitch about kill stealing? Damage and survival are the key to winning. If there is a damaged tank in my sights, I will take the shot. If you did 75% of the damage, you’ll get most of the experience. The ONLY time it is NOT acceptable to kill steal is when someone calls for a target because they are about to get top gun or a medal for the series of kills in a game (like Radley Walters Medal). Let them have it. Never steal a “called” kill.
This is the only one I disagree with, and the part I disagree with is the idea that "Claimed kills" exist. It's your kill only if its your shell that kills it. Not before. Not ever. If someone kills the tank I needed for my Radley Walters 0.05 seconds before my shot would, then that is because I was not in position and I did not earn my RW. Even if I tried to 'claim' it with T. No other reason. Would I be annoyed? Yeah! Would I blame the guy? No. It's my kill if my shell kills the target. Not before.

View PostNimrodor, on Dec 04 2013 - 18:38, said:

Depends on what happens first. You facehugging or him launching the shell. If an arty T's a target I'm about to facehug for the reasons you say, 9 out of 10 I'll forgo the facehug.

lijimist #19 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 19:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 49229 battles
  • [EATU] EATU
Well said.  Nicely done.  +1

Caskie1_Actual #20 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 19:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16212 battles
  • [MCLD] MCLD

View PostLert, on Dec 04 2013 - 19:17, said:

This is the only one I disagree with, and the part I disagree with is the idea that "Claimed kills" exist. It's your kill only if its your shell that kills it. Not before. Not ever. If someone kills the tank I needed for my Radley Walters 0.05 seconds before my shot would, then that is because I was not in position and I did not earn my RW. Even if I tried to 'claim' it with T. No other reason. Would I be annoyed? Yeah! Would I blame the guy? No. It's my kill if my shell kills the target. Not before.

Hey LERT!!!  First, let me say thanks!  Your Collection of Guides I read first, and it is probably the most helpful series of articles on this whole site.  (fanboy blush)  I should have listed you first in my links section.  So my bad, but props here.   Next, while I understand your point about kills, I will say that since this should be a team game (operative word - should), and if a team mate is close to getting an achievement, I'd like him to get it.  So many times we get frustrated because of bad players, when someone IS cool and helps we get an achievement, it makes me want to return the favor.  I'm not sure it's a question of position so much as being a good sport.

Also tagged with Noob, gameplay, beginner, rant, arty, scout, skills, potato, newbie, flame

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users