Asset or Ass-hat, which are you? (Help me help you)

Setting the record straight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

GrimJahk #1 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 21:50

Captain

• Players
  • 13124 battles
As stated so many times before, we have all been New to the game at one point, thus we were all Newbies once. The players that started from the get-go knowing all they ever need to know, instantly elevated themselves to Ass-hat.
Now, the point of this post is to shed some light on reasonable expectations.

It is reasonable that players, new or vet, deep in the middle of combat will not be reading chat. Typing to them is generally pointless. A single ping on the map will accomplish much more.
It is reasonable that New players interested in learning the game will react well to constructive suggestions. They want to learn and want to win.
It is reasonable to expect attitude from ass-hats that know everything there is to know about the game and still have a 45% WR. They are losing again and it's all because the MM sticks them with bad teams.

If you have died, stick around to watch the match and you just might spot something that may be helpful to your team, or at the very least learn something.
Making a suggestion/observation during a slow point in combat may be helpful to your team:
Recently, a tier V match, went ... poorly.  
Then I noticed something, the lone Hetzer on our team against 3 opponents actually had a chance because the remaining three opponents were spread out. He had low game count and a 45% WR and not horrible eff., so I guessed him a newer player.

Suggestions in chat are an exercise in diplomacy, if you bark orders at (or insult) someone that has no reason to believe you have a better grasp of the situation than they do, they will usually tune you out.

I mentioned in chat where he should move to get an ambush spot and he rushed there, waited, sprung the trap, and got the first one. I reminded him arty was still alive, so keep moving, he moved JUST in time as a shell landed where he was. I suggested a new ambush point since that spot was known, he repositioned, the cap warning went off, he pulled up and there was #2 looking at (and covered from) the direction he ambushed from before... pop, easy kill.  Timer continued to tick down. Cap was no longer an option. I suggested he hunt and told him where to look... He went running and killed the last opponent (arty) with 2 seconds on the clock.
Successful assistance from a slightly more experienced ghost rider to a newer player, leading to a win.
Unfortunately, you will also encounter this when you try to help:
"Shut up dead person you know nothing since you are dead, I'm obviously better than you since I'm still alive"

- Ass-hat camping behind flag in Tiger P from the beginning of the game

When you encounter Ass-hats on your team, just remember that there will alway be games that cannot be won, and carry on.
Moral #1 (for vets): Be nice to your teammates until they prove themselves to be unworthy, the random "Camper" may just not know any better and be willing to receive guidance.
Moral #2 (for newbs): Just because a player is dead before you does not mean you are better, just that they were killed fighting opponents. They may have more than enough expertise to help you carry the team if you are patient enough to listen.
Point of reality #1: In MOST cases the last few players on the team alive are the stronger players on your team, so please keep that in mind before you start spamming them with "assistance", be respectful, be constructive, and remember that this was a team effort.

GuySenseiRocks #2 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 21:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13386 battles
  • [ASHEN] ASHEN
I believe I am an Ass-hat

ScooterTrashUS #3 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 21:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3714 battles
Me too. I try not to be thpugh.

GrimJahk #4 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 21:54

Captain

• Players
  • 13124 battles

View PostGuySenseiRocks, on Dec 04 2013 - 21:51, said:

I believe I am an Ass-hat
+1 for personal honesty LOL

What I left out above…  If you are a spamming jerk, or abusive to your own team, you decrease the likelihood of any success by your team overall… Be helpful, keep your eyes open for downed trees or anything else the can HELP your team win. and your death was not in vain.

RidgeRoamer #5 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 6770 battles

View PostGrimJahk, on Dec 04 2013 - 21:50, said:

-
It is reasonable that players, new or vet, deep in the middle of combat will not be reading chat.
It is reasonable that New players interested in learning the game will react well to constructive suggestions.
It is reasonable to expect attitude from ass-hats that know everything there is to know about the game and still have a 45% WR.
No that is not reasonable to expect on the internet and fact remains like it or not that doesn't give one the right to be insulting or disparaging.
Not everyone on a server are there for all the same reasons.
I'm attempting to make the transition from play4fun to being a learned teammate and it's slowly coming together over time, in turn making WoT better to play than it's ever been... but I don't hold that same expectation over everyone that logs in, no.  [I wish I could, reliable teammates an obvious asset to my personal improvement]

Edited by Sgt_Sinful_Needs, Dec 04 2013 - 21:57.

GrimJahk #6 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 21:58

Captain

• Players
  • 13124 battles

View PostSgt_Sinful_Needs, on Dec 04 2013 - 21:55, said:

No that is not reasonable to expect on the internet and fact remains like it or not that doesn't give one the right to be insulting or disparaging.
Not everyone on a server are there for all the same reasons.

I never said it was acceptable.. There is a reason that you can report this behavior.

I just said that it is reasonable to expect it from the... less cultured… individuals that are a part of the F2P online gaming community.

Jimmy_2_Ts #7 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 29297 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS
Grim, your approach has been used on me once or twice, to both the betterment of both my overall play and understanding, and our team scoring a win.

Sadly, I have also had a few ass-hats.  Ah well.

Vaultin #8 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 10982 battles
After a hard day of work, nothing makes me happy then to come home. Storm onto the computer, get into WoT, suicide and yell at the whole team for being complete morons.

Ahhhh how much better I feel..
/sarcasm

CainAteAbelz #9 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13707 battles
I usually go with "please go (x) or do (x)," and offer support/encouragement... usually. I try to stay in every battle to learn from better players, think about my mistakes, and often laugh at the strange things I see players do.

Fritz_Fried #10 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:05

Major

• Players
  • 11911 battles
Have to go with option B for $1000 Alex.

irishgreek #11 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26620 battles

View PostGrimJahk, on Dec 04 2013 - 21:54, said:

Be helpful, keep your eyes open for downed trees or anything else the can HELP your team win. and your death was not in vain.

Great point.  It is also a 'balancing act' to decide when to click minimap or type a short comment.  I agree, noise gets ignored.

GuySenseiRocks #12 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13386 battles
  • [ASHEN] ASHEN
But honestly, as a sub-4k player, people think they can order me around in my cromwell. I have 700 battles in it and its so decked out it hurts. So please dont tell me what to do

del1006435580 #13 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3594 battles
I'm a little bit of both seeing as sometimes i can be a true asset to the team and i can be an asshat at the same time. I honestly can't count how many times i've had 4 or more kills and my team fails me which leads to a lousey match. :( You'd think if you're able to get 4 kills then the rest of the team should at least be able to handle taking care of the rest especially when the 4 you tend to kill are the higher tiered tanks.

The_Super_Soldier #14 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9696 battles
  • [LABS] LABS

View PostGuySenseiRocks, on Dec 04 2013 - 22:11, said:

But honestly, as a sub-4k player, people think they can order me around in my cromwell. I have 700 battles in it and its so decked out it hurts. So please dont tell me what to do

I'm an asshat. and Sensei, are you still angreh about running into that shot from my 122-44?

Mami_Momoe #15 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:16

Major

• Players
  • 6876 battles

This is the attitude that has pretty much made me go back to garage after dying. I used to try to help my teams win by typing some stuff, but I've realized that pubbies are too proud to listen.

del1006435580 #16 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3594 battles

View PostMami_Tamales, on Dec 04 2013 - 22:16, said:

This is the attitude that has pretty much made me go back to garage after dying. I used to try to help my teams win by typing some stuff, but I've realized that pubbies are too proud to listen.

+1'ed because if someone has died and is trying to help me without being rude then i am all ears, now if they start spouting insults and acting like an ass i ignore them. Afterall i was always taught that you can get your message across without being an ass.

GrimJahk #17 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 22:25

Captain

• Players
  • 13124 battles

You also have a total 50% WR in it. That player that may be trying to help you just -MAY- be a 57% WR player that has a 65% WR in your same tank. Some players bark orders, some give info and suggestions. Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff, take what you can use to help you win, ignore the Ass-hats. But have an open mind that they MAY have something of worth.

With 1500 battles, a 2k+ rating, and a 63% WR in my T49, if a player that is watching spots something I can use to help us win, I'm all over it.

I'm not fixated on where the intel came from, I want the win.

FPSGHoST808 #18 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 23:19

Major

• Players
  • 8053 battles
im gonna say neither and select the third option:
asshole

hndrcks #19 Posted Dec 04 2013 - 23:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26332 battles
  • [EGGS] EGGS

View Postsimnut, on Dec 04 2013 - 23:14, said:

...is what makes "pubbies" just ignore chat.

This pubby has a Post-It over the chat window, but not for the same reasons. Here's why I ignore chat:
  • The signal-to-noise ratio is abysmal. What little useful information there might be is buried in "so is the T9.9-B45 a gud tank?" and "my other ride is yer mom" and "I hate this map" and "matchmaker is drunk again" and "what does the fox say?" There is no radio discipline. I read the chat in replays, and if I missed something of value I tend to follow up - out of game.
  • There is no way to determine if the speaker is skilled and knowledgeable or a blithering idiot. I'll remind you there are plenty of blithering idiots out there who are polite and say please and thank you, so considerate chat is no indicator of good advice.
  • Texting and driving is illegal in most places; for a reason.
  • The day I went to "Post-It Method" my winrate began to climb. I went from barely 50% to high 50s, even low 60s, some weeks. When something is working, stick with it.
  • Browse this forum - look at all the posts "Somebody called me a n00b" or "This game sucks because they are rude" - lots of unhappy people venting over things said in chat and few instances where somebody actually owns up to rude behavior and apologizes for it. What's the point? I don't listen to talk radio either!
  • I'm in a clan that has a core group that platoons every night. We work in platoons of 3 and use teamspeak. We don't agree about politics or much of anything else, but we all like to play the game and know each other's playstyles so we can work together well. (To be honest that last bit can be a disadvantage when we have clanmates on the red team!)

BlackwaterXe #20 Posted Dec 05 2013 - 08:59

Major

• Players
  • 24850 battles

View PostGrimJahk, on Dec 04 2013 - 21:50, said:

Unfortunately, you will also encounter this when you try to help:
"Shut up dead person you know nothing since you are dead, I'm obviously better than you since I'm still alive"

This is why I don't care to help newbs anymore and am more inclined to sling an insult than give them tips or advice. This is also why I have absolutely ZERO remorse for using newbs as meatshields and am more than willing to ditch or sacrifice a low health newbie even though I'm still at full health. The vast majority of newbs I've come across don't care about winning, don't care about learning the game, don't care about getting better as a player; why? because they claim to "play for fun" and "don't care about stats". When you try to help scrubs but they just insult you back, it's easy to develop a strong disdain for all noobs in general. This is where I am now; a strong disdain for them with virtually no hesitation to call them out for their 46% W/R. BUT, I will try to take your two 'moral of the story' points to heart and ease up a bit on newbs....but I gotta tell you, these noobs don't make it easy to be nice to them.

Also tagged with Setting the record straight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users