Premium tanks and win rate...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

snaphook #1 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:16

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29232 battles
Over the last 3 weeks or so I've been making a genuine effort to improve my win rate. Primarily by watching a bit of live stream on Twitch.tv every day vs. playing a few more games. No question that my overall understanding of game dynamics has significantly improved (even if it hasn't translated directly into consistently better numbers. However my overall & 60 day win rate are trending generally upward with some significant spikes as I try and apply the more aggressive play style I see from the streams with obviously varying results.

Yesterday I read a post here on the forums from a player with a roughly 48% win rate wanting to improve. One of the tanks he played the most was a T8 premium and that brought more then a few comments. Many tended to imply that premium tanks have higher earning but lower performance specific to win rate. I currently have 15 premium tanks of various flavors in my garage (I sold my lowe/t-34/excelsior/BP/Matilda/Ram along with the freebee's)...

These range from T3-T8 as a sort of sample I decided to run all of them today until I got my double. So tanks that won were removed from the rotation....

Bottom line 15-11 for a 57.6% (so 58% rounded to wot)

I struggled in a few tanks like the panther/m10 (normally 60% but had 4 losses) that do not do well with my new play style and had a few frustrating losses. Overall I would guess I can maintain that percentage +/- 2% based on RNG and the whims of the matchmaker. However it certainly appeared that the premies had a negative effect on my stats. Now that might vary from W6 to W7 based on how spotting and spotting damage are factored in. I had roughly 8K of spotting damage in my type 62 with less then 300 actual damage over 2 games...

I'll probably run this for a few days out of curiosity. All games were run solo with no logging on/off.

I'll wait till this grouping is reflected on noobmeter or mywotstats to get some performance numbers.....

paradat #2 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:24

Major

• Players
  • 29645 battles
  • [TBW] TBW
Hi Snaphook,

You are perfect for trying this out:

http://forum.worldof...y-can-make/#top

steelreserv #3 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12421 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
I own two premium tanks, a T34 and a T-25 with respectable win rates.

For the T34, the gun's penetration and alpha are on par with tier 10 tanks.  Although the reload and aim time are quite bad.  This makes the tank effective to a certain degree (depending on tactics) in all the matches it plays, regardless of tier, which I think is important for any tank.

But I believe that one of the most underrated factors in premium tanks are the crews.  I am running both of my tanks with crews that are over 100% and working on their third perk which significantly helps performance.

Any time either of these crews is locked in a previous match and I sub in lesser crews to play with the premium, I can tell a huge huge difference.

snaphook #4 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:36

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29232 battles

View Postparadat, on Dec 10 2013 - 19:24, said:

Hi Snaphook,

You are perfect for trying this out:

http://forum.worldof...y-can-make/#top

Took a quick read and I'll comment in your thread once I've got a bit more time....

snaphook #5 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:38

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29232 battles
No question that crew skill & matchmaker both factor positively in the equation. Not all premiums get weighted matchmaker (T34 for ex) but many do...

iron_crosstx #6 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13308 battles
  • [DPUSA] DPUSA
the main reason most people do badly in tier8 primies is because they jump straight to them without learnning the basics of the game.  there is nothing inhearently horrid about any primi tanks.  some have good guns and crap armor, some have good armor and crap guns, some have good guns, good armor and crap speed, ect.  they are generaly slighly worse tanks then you would get in same tier/country in some way or other. thats wargamings way of evening the odds for those of us who dont pay to win, but if you know what your doing you will do just as well in them as any other tank you drive.  but if your used to tier 3 and you jump stright to tier 8......   your going to regret it.

SystemRename3894 #7 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 19:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32485 battles

View Postsnaphook, on Dec 10 2013 - 19:16, said:

I sold my lowe/t-34/excelsior/BP/Matilda/Ram along with the freebee's
Wat!
T-34 is awesome, I wound up with 75% win rate over 300+ games having a blast (not all platoon games, zero TC battles.)
Ram 2 isn't the best tier 5 premium, but I like it, I even got my second ever 11 kill game in it. Rocking 71% w/r mostly solo pub after ~90 games.
Both these tanks require the driver adapt to their strengths and weaknesses, though to be fair, I haven't played the T-34 recently, the influx of TDs might have made this tank more challenging to play.
As for the others, I can't fairly comment.
Advise I think you will benefit from:
- I think you need to tailor your strategies and tactics more to the tank you're driving. Don't be afraid to use tactics that differ from the norm. Situational awareness is key to success in any tank.
- Bad streaks do happen, whether it's due to mm, RNG, or acts of god, they happen and will drive your stats into the ground. Try not to associate these negative experiences with a specific tank. To cope with these bad streaks many people often take breaks from the game, but you may want to find your own coping strategy.

KilgorSoS #8 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 20:04

Major

• Players
  • 26602 battles
Some premiums are for cash cows, others XP cows, and some are just plain FUN!

Now there are a select few that can be serious carry machines when equipped properly, loaded with the right boom-booms, and played in a platoon with a proper combo. The IS6 is a perfect example of a potential, "Carry Hard" tank. The Jag8.8 is a great example of a cash cow, but not so carry hard tank, and the E25 is an example of a pile of lols tank.

If you aren't lookin to drop a big $$$$ then take a look at the SU 122-44. It can and is a bit of a mix of carry, cash, and fun.

snaphook #9 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 20:37

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29232 battles

View PostRNG_is_rigged, on Dec 10 2013 - 19:55, said:

Wat!
T-34 is awesome, I wound up with 75% win rate over 300+ games having a blast (not all platoon games, zero TC battles.)
Ram 2 isn't the best tier 5 premium, but I like it, I even got my second ever 11 kill game in it. Rocking 71% w/r mostly solo pub after ~90 games.
Both these tanks require the driver adapt to their strengths and weaknesses, though to be fair, I haven't played the T-34 recently, the influx of TDs might have made this tank more challenging to play.
As for the others, I can't fairly comment.
Advise I think you will benefit from:
- I think you need to tailor your strategies and tactics more to the tank you're driving. Don't be afraid to use tactics that differ from the norm. Situational awareness is key to success in any tank.
- Bad streaks do happen, whether it's due to mm, RNG, or acts of god, they happen and will drive your stats into the ground. Try not to associate these negative experiences with a specific tank. To cope with these bad streaks many people often take breaks from the game, but you may want to find your own coping strategy.
Nothing to do with the tanks at all. I had the T34 and like the lowe I simply did not find it fun to play so it sat there unused. As for the Ram I was playing the M7 a lot at the time and basically they were very similar tanks. I've thought about asking for the ram back a time or two since I don't have the M7 anymore:)...
Looking at your overall level of play it's pretty obvious you'll do very well in just about everything you play. By comparison I'll do a bit above average in almost everything I play:)

Edited by snaphook, Dec 10 2013 - 20:39.

SystemRename3894 #10 Posted Dec 10 2013 - 22:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32485 battles

View Postsnaphook, on Dec 10 2013 - 20:37, said:

Nothing to do with the tanks at all. I had the T34 and like the lowe I simply did not find it fun to play so it sat there unused.
Fair enough, I suppose.

View Postsnaphook, on Dec 10 2013 - 20:37, said:

Looking at your overall level of play it's pretty obvious you'll do very well in just about everything you play. By comparison I'll do a bit above average in almost everything I play:)
I didn't really become good until I learned to play mediums well. They forced me to think about the maps, positions, and damage exchanges differently.

As for tier 8 premiums, most of them do have drawbacks compared to their non-premium counterparts but the impact of the drawbacks is usually situational.
Most people also balance tier 8 premiums by platooning, which is fairly easy to get going since everybody needs credits.
And so overall, I don't think they have a negative impact on win rate.