IS-6 Mission Support Group: You can do it, we can help!

IS-6 Mission Life is Tanks Tankers helping Tankers

• Please log in to reply
901 replies to this topic

Shaky_Jake #861 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 20:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 39705 battles
  • [3PZG] 3PZG

I finished last week.

The 2x weekend helped out a lot with the Japanese tank. If it were not for that it would have been a ton of grinding.

My thoughts on the tanks:

Hellcat

Cromwell

and surprisingly the A-43 were my favorite tanks.

Nashorn, Type 58, and the KV-1s were good tanks.

The KV-2 kept getting one-shotted arty which sucked (even tier 5 arty).

Churchill VII was better than I remembered. I rage quit it after about 3000 exp in it the first time around. I was glad that I had a chance to replay it.

My 3601M was a good tank, and I did well in it, but it was cursed with bad teams. I only had a 46% win rate after 35 battles (compared to 62% win rate with the A-43 after 52 battles). 

The Chi To was like a slow cromwell to me. A good good gun that fired fast and has good penetration but lacked mobility. I would imagine that it has better armor than the cromwell, but I never noticed it. When you are with tier 7s and 8s it is better to be fast.

The worst tanks for me by far was the scouts. I played:

AMX 12T

VK 2801

59-16

These were horrible. There are many maps where scouting is worthless. Also just because you are scouting does not mean that your team is taking advantage of it, if it is a terrible team. Another thing is that you get in teir 9-10 matches all of the time and not only can they kill you in 1 shot, but they have much better scouts on their team as well like AMX 13-75/90, T-71s, and WZ 131/132. They spot you, and they make quick work killing you if they other tanks don't. It was a constant struggle to be in the top 10 exp earners and I was unable to do it about half of the time. The only time I did well with these tanks was either in a teir 7 match were you can play like an overpowered tier 6, or a good scouting map with a good team and both of those were rare.

Pave_Low #862 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 21:11

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 34007 battles

I didn't know there was a list.  You can add me.  I got my IS6 last week.

As for the challenge itself?  Well it gave me something to do at least.

Hellcat:  Easy peasy.  This is just a great T6 TD and, in the right hands, a true carry tank.  It has the mobility and the firepower to be where it needs to be and win the game. 

Cromwell:  Too fast and terrible gun for my liking.  I needed to use APCR too often.  It could flex easily but if you're playing solo and you're rash (like me) you could find yourself dead quickly.

Nashorn:  Not the Hellcat, but still an easy run.  Great gun, great camo and fairly mobile. 

Type 58:  I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon before playing this tank again.  Crummy mobility, crummy armor and no gun depression.  The only upside is slightly greater damage on the gun.  And that's no a big upside.

Chi-To:  Not bad.  Engine sucks so going uphill is a chore, but it works ok in the flat.  But this tank is all about the gun depression and man does it have gun depression.

ARL-44:  I remembered this tank being better.  Perhaps it got nerfed somewhere.  The gun is godlike, though and this was the tank I wanted to be in when fighting T8s.  Has to fight on the second line and is a bit too slow to truly carry a game.

KV2:  Yeah, I should have bought back the KV1S like everyone else but I had this sitting in my garage.  I did not run the derp and that made it fairly easy to push through.  It can be a bully at T6 but can't stand up at T8.  The 107mm allows you to play against T8s where the derp doesn't.  People like to be friends with the KV2 so I didn't often find myself fighting alone.

Allied_General #863 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 21:19

Captain

• Players
  • 33715 battles

Well, been very sick over the last few days after getting hit by the influenza epidemic. Feels like I got my head smashed by a Mac-Truck.

In any case, I couldn't sleep during the night due to all the hacking and caughing, so I finished this promo up.

Bavor #864 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 21:31

Major

• Players
  • 33868 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

With 15 hours left, I had 122,783 XP left to go. That's 8185.53 XP per hour. Chances don't look good. I'm only earning about 5400 XP per hour.

Too much real life stuff got in the way and I worked 12 hoour shifts that entire X2 weekend that counted toward the mission.  So close, yet so far.  If it was extended one day I'd have the free IS-6.

The only reason I tried is because the IS-6 is a tank I'd never pay for, but I'd take a free one.

PeterGibbons316 #865 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 21:36

Captain

• Players
  • 21778 battles

View PostBavor, on Jan 15 2014 - 15:31, said:

With 15 hours left, I had 122,783 XP left to go. That's 8185.53 XP per hour. Chances don't look good. I'm only earning about 5400 XP per hour.

Too much real life stuff got in the way and I worked 12 hoour shifts that entire X2 weekend that counted toward the mission.  So close, yet so far.  If it was extended one day I'd have the free IS-6.

The only reason I tried is because the IS-6 is a tank I'd never pay for, but I'd take a free one.

Bummer man.  At least make sure you finish up some of the lines you are close on to get your free premium time!

AriochQ #866 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 21:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17402 battles

View PostPave_Low, on Jan 15 2014 - 21:11, said:

I didn't know there was a list.  You can add me.  I got my IS6 last week.

As for the challenge itself?  Well it gave me something to do at least.

Hellcat:  Easy peasy.  This is just a great T6 TD and, in the right hands, a true carry tank.  It has the mobility and the firepower to be where it needs to be and win the game.

Cromwell:  Too fast and terrible gun for my liking.  I needed to use APCR too often.  It could flex easily but if you're playing solo and you're rash (like me) you could find yourself dead quickly.

Nashorn:  Not the Hellcat, but still an easy run.  Great gun, great camo and fairly mobile.

Type 58:  I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon before playing this tank again.  Crummy mobility, crummy armor and no gun depression.  The only upside is slightly greater damage on the gun.  And that's no a big upside.

Chi-To:  Not bad.  Engine sucks so going uphill is a chore, but it works ok in the flat.  But this tank is all about the gun depression and man does it have gun depression.

ARL-44:  I remembered this tank being better.  Perhaps it got nerfed somewhere.  The gun is godlike, though and this was the tank I wanted to be in when fighting T8s.  Has to fight on the second line and is a bit too slow to truly carry a game.

KV2:  Yeah, I should have bought back the KV1S like everyone else but I had this sitting in my garage.  I did not run the derp and that made it fairly easy to push through.  It can be a bully at T6 but can't stand up at T8.  The 107mm allows you to play against T8s where the derp doesn't.  People like to be friends with the KV2 so I didn't often find myself fighting alone.

I loved the Type 58.  61% WR over 190 games, almost all of them solo play pub matches.  I consider it a keeper tank.

djb_95 #867 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 22:24

Major

• Players
  • 92270 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU

View PostBavor, on Jan 15 2014 - 14:31, said:

122k is probably out of reach.  But, like they said above, you might want to at least try for the 3 days premium on some of the trees.

If you want to do a desperation all out grind there are a few tricks you can use.  I DO NOT recommend all of these for normal grinding, just desperation xp grinding.

1. Set up your best xp tanks as 'primary' in your garage so you can 'rapid fire' select the next tank.  Don't wait around when you die, bounce out, get your next tank going.  Check your stats to see what your average xp is in your tanks.  Play the ones with the highest average.  Get a sandwich and drink, close the door, settle in, and GRIND like a madman!

2. WIN!  If you have a close match that you have a chance to win, don't do anything strange.  Play like you normally do.  Win it.  The xp bonus over a loss is huge.

3. Be hyper-aggressive.  Not quite suicide scout type action.  You need to dish out damage QUICKLY, as much as you can.  Get in and brawl and win or die quickly.  Your objective is to do it quickly without severely impacting your win chances.

4.  Kill stuff.  The xp bonus for a kill is bigger than most people believe it is.  Kill steal relentlessly.

5. Try to stay away from playing arty.  They tend to survive too long and generate too little xp per minute played compared to brawlers.  If you do have to play arty, then if the game is over but for the last tank or two that you have to wait around for, well, rush in and try to get a last TD mode shot off. Die gloriously.  Get it done QUICKLY.  You can easily waste 5 minutes waiting for your team to find one last tank, or conversely waiting for them to come finish you off.  Better to go out with a bang and move on.

6.  If the game is about over and you don't have anything better to do, GET ON THE CAP.  Generate a few more cap points.  It all adds up.

7. If you have the option to cap it out versus spending another minute or two trying to get some more damage - Cap it out!  Get the game over with a win and move on.

8. Never forget, your objective is maximum xp per minute played - NOT maximum xp per battle.

Try it for an hour or two and see if your xp per hour is improving.  Frankly it is difficult to get more than about 6,000 xp per hour at tier 6, so 8k+ per hour is probably a bridge too far, but, who knows.  Maybe the stars will align for you.

Edited by djb_95, Jan 15 2014 - 22:30.

KiwiMark67 #868 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 22:31

Major

• Players
  • 51119 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL

View PostPave_Low, on Jan 16 2014 - 08:11, said:

Yeah, that tank is just no good . . .

Imagine if the poor thing got into a tier 8 battle, it would surely die quick with little damage dealt (if any):

Yeah, just a horrible tank.

I just might keep mine though, for no particular reason.

Bavor #869 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 23:28

Major

• Players
  • 33868 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostPeterGibbons316, on Jan 15 2014 - 15:36, said:

View PostBavor, on Jan 15 2014 - 15:31, said:

Bummer man.  At least make sure you finish up some of the lines you are close on to get your free premium time!

I completed 4 of the 7 lines for premium time.  There is one I might be able to complete tonight, but at this point, I'm tired of playing tier 6.

Bavor #870 Posted Jan 15 2014 - 23:31

Major

• Players
  • 33868 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View Postdjb_95, on Jan 15 2014 - 16:24, said:

122k is probably out of reach.  But, like they said above, you might want to at least try for the 3 days premium on some of the trees.

If you want to do a desperation all out grind there are a few tricks you can use.  I DO NOT recommend all of these for normal grinding, just desperation xp grinding.

1. Set up your best xp tanks as 'primary' in your garage so you can 'rapid fire' select the next tank.  Don't wait around when you die, bounce out, get your next tank going.  Check your stats to see what your average xp is in your tanks.  Play the ones with the highest average.  Get a sandwich and drink, close the door, settle in, and GRIND like a madman!

2. WIN!  If you have a close match that you have a chance to win, don't do anything strange.  Play like you normally do.  Win it.  The xp bonus over a loss is huge.

3. Be hyper-aggressive.  Not quite suicide scout type action.  You need to dish out damage QUICKLY, as much as you can.  Get in and brawl and win or die quickly.  Your objective is to do it quickly without severely impacting your win chances.

4.  Kill stuff.  The xp bonus for a kill is bigger than most people believe it is.  Kill steal relentlessly.

5. Try to stay away from playing arty.  They tend to survive too long and generate too little xp per minute played compared to brawlers.  If you do have to play arty, then if the game is over but for the last tank or two that you have to wait around for, well, rush in and try to get a last TD mode shot off. Die gloriously.  Get it done QUICKLY.  You can easily waste 5 minutes waiting for your team to find one last tank, or conversely waiting for them to come finish you off.  Better to go out with a bang and move on.

6.  If the game is about over and you don't have anything better to do, GET ON THE CAP.  Generate a few more cap points.  It all adds up.

7. If you have the option to cap it out versus spending another minute or two trying to get some more damage - Cap it out!  Get the game over with a win and move on.

8. Never forget, your objective is maximum xp per minute played - NOT maximum xp per battle.

Try it for an hour or two and see if your xp per hour is improving.  Frankly it is difficult to get more than about 6,000 xp per hour at tier 6, so 8k+ per hour is probably a bridge too far, but, who knows.  Maybe the stars will align for you.

Thanks for the advice I was doing most of those already.  Today I even was sustaining a 65%+ win rate for a long time and still not getting the XP per hour I needed.

pipninja #871 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 02:42

Private

• Players
  • 13220 battles
Just got my IS-6.  Have to say great event but I am crazy burned out on tanks now.

HB_Landric #872 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 04:26

Major

• Players
  • 42379 battles
  • [DCLUB] DCLUB
Peter, thanks for making this post and updating it regularly.  There is so much negativity on these forums it is nice to see positive posts and people supporting each other for a change.

paradat #873 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 07:16

Major

• Players
  • 34758 battles
  • [TBW] TBW

Whew.... so 10:00 PM PST , 11,800 gold and a garage slot richer!

Will run the numbers tomorrow.

That was to close.

PeterGibbons316 #874 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 07:17

Captain

• Players
  • 21778 battles

View Postparadat, on Jan 16 2014 - 01:16, said:

Whew.... so 10:00 PM PST , 11,800 gold and a garage slot richer!

Will run the numbers tomorrow.

That was to close.

Congrats man, just in time!!!

VariaVespasa #875 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 08:19

Major

• Players
  • 75705 battles
  • [-_W_-] -_W_-
Grats to the new finishers!  Just under 4 hours to go. Gogogo!

chris9000 #876 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 08:22

Major

• Players
  • 11986 battles

View PostHB_Landric, on Jan 15 2014 - 19:26, said:

Peter, thanks for making this post and updating it regularly. There is so much negativity on these forums it is nice to see positive posts and people supporting each other for a change.

Indeed. I've never seen another online gaming community that had a more negative attitude toward its own. It feels like 95% of all posts about this mission have been about how it'd be easier to work over time when really, that's just their opinion. 

Congrats, guys! And for those of you crossing the finish line, get on it! You have a few hours left!!

Allied_General #877 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 08:48

Captain

• Players
  • 33715 battles

Funny about the over-time. I had to do over-time 55 hours during this promo.... and still go the free IS-6 :)

Lesson to be learned here is... 95% of users on this forum are nowhere near as smart as they'd like to claim :) Come to think of it, I also couldnt help but notice those with the lowest win-rates during this promo tended to be the ones spamming the damn mini-map and bitching how bad everyone else was during my games.

teh_chris #878 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 09:46

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10996 battles
  • [BURDY] BURDY
Not sure how long until the cutoff is, but for those with that tiny bit of SadGrinding left, you can do it!

Congrats to all the new finishers, especially those this close to the deadline!

Dr_Richt0fen #879 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 11:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13904 battles
  • [FAN] FAN
Finished with an hour to spare! Now I go sleep and take long break.

Valan #880 Posted Jan 16 2014 - 11:15

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles

You can happily add myself to the "IS-6 mission completion" list.  

Finished yesterday, after playing lightly the prior three days.   All in all, I thought it was a good mission for a person, like myself, who was beginning to play at tier 6.  Ended up grinding out the following lines in 30 days: Hellcat; Jackson; ARL 44; Type 58; Chi-To; A-43; T-34-85; Churchill 7; Churchill Gun Carrier.   Granted my statistics went into the tank, so to speak. :child:   Boon? Enough gold to get 6 months of premium time. :coin: 

Now I'm looking forward to multiple upcoming 'On the Track' missions:  E-50M; T110E3; T110E4; FV215b; FV215 (183) among others....

Any positive surprises?

Yes, learned I enjoyed the Chinese Type 58 playing style.  Didn't expect the Chinese Type 58 to be this fun, even while grinding out modules.  Going to keep the Type 58.

Now if only Wargaming Minsk would release a decent tier 5 or 6 premium Chinese medium tank for sale? Or perhaps buff the premium T-34-3medium tank found at tier 8? 

Who else finished this IS-6 mission?

Valdemarus1980 of POTA clan did. He did it the hard way, grinding only one tank at a time.  

Question: Is an F.A.Q or tutorial available for how to use the new forum user interface, since Wargaming NA upgraded the forum software?  Haven't been able to figure out to post images, since user interface was altered weeks ago.  

Edited by Valan, Jan 16 2014 - 11:26.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users