Artillery: Counter-Arty Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Diastant #1 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 02:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This is a through and simple guide to counter arty.

What is it? It's looking for the enemies tracer rounds and firing at that spot. If you hit it, the enemy arty is dead.

Pros:
Good way to earn money and its fun
It reduces damage on your own team and reduces their attacking damage by the amount of arty
Most shots are fire once and forget. Rise (reload) and repeat if you didn't kill it

Cons:
If you fire, move because chances are the other guy is firing or trying to counter-arty you.
Because you are so focused on spotting that last tracer round, you don't notice that T-54 coming up on your left at 50 km/h, gun loaded.
Some people don't like arty

Materials required

-An arty, preferably one that can reach the whole way across the enemy base

The concept?

1. Battle starts, try to go to a place where they enemy won't counter yourself, if you die, you won't have another chance until you fix your tank. So, find a good place where they other guy won't look. Be sure you have a clear view of the other guy's base.

2. Go to the enemy's base and zoom out max, that way you can see more. Make it so that you can get all of the enemy base without having to turn your tank.

3. Look for tracers! Remember, if you see one, and whether you hit it or not, always move because if there is another arty on the other team that can target you easily, you better move, chances are they are also trying to counter-arty you as well, so always remember to move. If there was only 1 arty on the other team then you are good to go.

4. Rinse (reload) and repeat steps 1-3 for all other arty

Recommended tools-An arty, and bullet rounds.

therowman #2 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 02:44

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
IT would be better if you posted some pictures, like where the tracer begans to where the tank actually is.

Stompya #3 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 03:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Wow, thanks. Did you just rush this post as an afterthought?

Diastant #4 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 03:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Sort of yes, because there was no counter arty guide before and I saw somebody wanting a guide.

And therowman, I plan on adding pictures but tracers are rare-ish and getting a screenshot of one, well it's either get the screenshot and not fire, or fire and not get the screenshot.

AnOnY_MoUs #5 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 03:49

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostDiastant, on Mar 23 2011 - 02:26, said:

Pros:
Good way to earn money and its fun What? Fun maybe. Earning credits...
It reduces damage on your own team and reduces their attacking damage by the amount of arty Yes, ungrateful people will maybe thank you for it
Most shots are fire once and forget. Rise (reload) and repeat if you didn't kill it Every shot you take is fire and forget.

Cons:
If you fire, move because chances are the other guy is firing or trying to counter-arty you. Not really a con seeing as you should do this after every shot regardless
Because you are so focused on spotting that last tracer round, you don't notice that T-54 coming up on your left at 50 km/h, gun loaded. That is just poor play, both by your team and you. A certain amount of map awareness is always required, whether you go after tanks or arty.
Some people don't like arty What?
You earn far less credits and exp than you do going after big tanks
Most intelligent arty drivers move after every shot so if you CB for too long you are a large liability to your team, especially if the enemy arty is pummelling your teams heavies.

There probably are others. For CB you really shouldn't spend much more time than the first few minutes after your tanks first engage theirs. Otherwise you waste far too much time which could be used hitting tanks. Especially on higher tier arty, use 20-30 seconds of your reload to scout the map, although this should just be a given. Further, if you hit exactly at their tracer and you don't kill the arty, you are probably just better off switching to hitting tanks, because CB is easily avoided if arty players are just the least bit intelligent.

TheDude101 #6 Posted Mar 23 2011 - 03:55

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I'll try and help out with screenshots.

Only mention for Counter-Arty :

Do be aware of your surroundings - as mentioned you can get tunnel-vision and get side-swiped by a light scout tank or fast medium loaded with HE to bear down on you.

Sometimes, you will have to stop looking for Arty and help out your team. In these circumstances, shoot and move. Fire a round and move to a different location. Try to stay out of "normal" hiding areas.

Good hunting.

Goest #7 Posted Mar 24 2011 - 09:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDiastant, on Mar 23 2011 - 03:23, said:

Sort of yes, because there was no counter arty guide before and I saw somebody wanting a guide.

thanks!  Some good pointers.

Ehre #8 Posted Mar 24 2011 - 11:09

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i think a huge emphasis must be put in, though counter-arty being very welcome, arty drivers please;

don't !@#$%^&* get fixated.

some really bad arty drivers spend the whole match trying to kill just one thing, or focus on only one side of the map, or provide fire support only for their clan/platoon, or are oblivious to major threats to their team, or sit/move around in only one area without relocating to get better angles/trajectory, and the list goes on...

good arty drivers are like god, they know all the maps inside out and are completely aware of what's happening on their current battlefield. they can predict enemy actions and know and will often fluidly switch back and forth from countering to active support of frontline allies. they are able to read the ever changing situation to know where to invest their attention.

good arty are like the hand of god, and often make the match. bad arty on the other hand are a liability and a wasted slot.

Lougle #9 Posted Mar 31 2011 - 09:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Now that my SPG is tier 5,  things are getting a little tough.

Firstly,  the small maps are too small for me.  Even in the far corner of these maps, I can shoot any spot.  The down side being, the 1/2 of the map that I am on is very hard to aim at.  The aiming circle becomes very elongated and stretched.  Even totally rested, it can and will miss on you.

My strategy for CB is this:  
1) First 2 min of match or so,  scan enemy start location for tell tale signs. (tracers, environment damage)
                             2) Get a shot off if possible.  Always move after shooting at this tier.  You are waiting on reload anyways.
                             3) Now I pick my position depending on where my team moved.  I search for tough TDs and Heavies.
                             4) Still always moving after each shot.  Also try to keep an eye on the radio map for people coming towards you. If
                                spotted you will have to keep moving or you will be shot by the other teams Arty.
                             5) At about 8-10 min in I will look again for the opponent SPG.  They might be slacker now that I haven't been shelling.

The big thing is awareness of where everyone is. Most of the time I get caught by non-SPG is because I didn't realize that due to deaths, I had become the front on the weak side.

Vincinzerei #10 Posted Mar 31 2011 - 11:08

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Also know your Enemy
When you see the Tracer know what Artys are ingame. Some have the Gun in Front, some in Rear, some have short, some have long..

Also an important Note.
There are only two ways a Arty can move after shooting
Forward and Backward.  So if you know how the Tracer is fired, the Arty is either moving forward or backward. Everything else would tanke to much time. Sure it can move to the side when its already movien but remember

Object 212
Speed limit 32 km/h
Traverse speed 14 deg/sec

GW Panther
Speed limit 48 km/h
Traverse speed 25 deg/sec

SU-14
Speed limit 31 km/h
Traverse speed 10 deg/sec

it takes time to speeding up. So if you know where the last tracer has come from, just wait for the next one in that area and shoot right after the tracer. If not else the enemy will get splash dmg, if done good enemy is gone.

FryaDuck #11 Posted Mar 31 2011 - 17:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
There are no tracers in the game. They are smoke trails.

Tracer ammunition (tracers) are special bullets that are built with a small pyrotechnic charge in their base. Ignited by the burning powder, the phosphorus tail burns very brightly, making the projectile visible to the naked eye. This enables the shooter to follow the bullet trajectory relative to the target in order to make corrections to his or her aim.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/PrTwkNyPlfU

Joesco726 #12 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 06:03

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostFryaDuck, on Mar 31 2011 - 17:00, said:

There are no tracers in the game. They are smoke trails.

One of my favorite military quotes:
"Tracers work both ways."

Deathzwei #13 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 22:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Sometimes we SPGs just have to rely on instinct to counter-arty.

If the enemy has multiple SPGs from different types, it's real hard to predict their movement through the use of CB. I also got a feeling that it can only work well in low tier battles, don't rely on them too much on high tier battles, where it takes >20s to reload something.