!Match Maker (MM) Comparison - World of Tanks VS World of Warplanes!

matchmaker mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

Styo #1 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 07:56

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13392 battles

First thing is first, if you are here to post that World of Warplanes sucks, you can GTFO right now. This thread is made to compare the match making system between World of Tanks and World of Warplanes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Objective: Bring the MM from World of Warplanes to World of Tanks.

Keep the following in mind:

World of Tanks and World of Warplanes are made by the same company Wargaming.net.

World of Tanks and World of Warplanes are developed by different studios/companies.

• The World of Tanks project was launched by Minsk‑based studio Game Stream.
  • World of Warplanes is being developed at Persha Studia[3]—the Kiev-based developmental center of Wargaming.

World of Tanks was released on April 12, 2011 for North America. Russia release was August 12, 2010.

World of Warplanes was released on November 13, 2013 for North America. Russia release was November 12, 2013.

I didn't notice this until an hour ago. The match making system seems to work really well in World of Warplanes. So I wondered why is it that the company that released the same game cannot apply the same standards across the boards? Seriously. I understand the fundamental reason to have different developing companies for each of the games, but why can't they use the same blue print?

Ok, so now let's talk business. First we will compare the two games:

World of Tanks:

• Population: ~40,000
  • Number of different classes: 5
  1. Light Tank
  2. Medium Tank
  3. Heavy Tank
  4. Tank Destroyer
  5. Artillery
  • Queue time: ~3 - 60 seconds

World of Warplanes:

• Population: ~1,800
  • Number of different classes: 3
  1. Fighter
  2. Heavy Figher
  3. Ground Attack
  • Queue time: ~3 - 40 seconds

So here are my questions to the developers:

1. Why is the wait time consistently lower in World of Warplanes compared to World of Tanks?
  2. Why is the match maker more accurate on picking players/planes in terms of classes in World of Warplanes compared to World of Tanks?
  3. Why is the tier spread more accurate in World of Warplanes compared to World of Tanks?
  4. Why do I not get high tier battles in a stock plane in World of Warplanes compared to stock tank in World of Tanks?

I will be updating and bumping this thread every day to get answers. I will also post pictures of MM from World of Warplanes to prove that you did something right with World of Warplanes, that needs to be fixed in World of Tanks.

Edited by Styo, Dec 21 2013 - 20:42.

Styo #2 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 07:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13392 battles

Ok I will be posting all screenshots of the match making in here. I will be doing both World of Tanks and World of Warplanes. Please note, these are all in order. I try not to forget to take a screen shot.

World of Tanks

World of Warplanes

Screenshot 1:

Spoiler

Screenshot 2:

Spoiler

Screenshot 3:

Spoiler

Screenshot 4:

Spoiler

Screenshot 5:

Spoiler

Screenshot 6:

Spoiler

Screenshot 7: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 8: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 9: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 10: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 11: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 12: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 13: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 14: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 15: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 16: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 17: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 18: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 19: 

Spoiler

Edited by Styo, Dec 21 2013 - 21:15.

Zippit #3 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14372 battles
  • [OM-US] OM-US

Now if only they cared out our opinions.

-ZippiT

Fenriswaffles #4 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:11

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 12898 battles
  • [SPCTR] SPCTR

Are the developers of WoT and WoWp completely separate? If so it may be that the matchmaking system in WoWP could be patented. Of course, I could also be wrong.

Its also possible that they're testing the system on WoWP which has a less established userbase before propagating it to WoT, I believe they did something similar with the improved graphics we got in 8.0

Coordinator #5 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7582 battles

Eh. You should see what happens on planes when not many people are on, it's no better than World of Tanks, trust me. I've had matches where one team is MISSING a player entirely, but gets an extra two or three top tier planes so they end up brutalizing the other team 14v15. You get plenty of 7v7/12v12 at higher tiers too. It works, but poorly (two top tier jets against two top tier ground attacks just doesn't work).

tl;dr it's just as bad, get out of tier 4 and you'll see.

Styo #6 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:19

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13392 battles

View PostFenriswaffles, on Dec 21 2013 - 02:11, said:

Are the developers of WoT and WoWp completely separate? If so it may be that the matchmaking system in WoWP could be patented. Of course, I could also be wrong.

Its also possible that they're testing the system on WoWP which has a less established userbase before propagating it to WoT, I believe they did something similar with the improved graphics we got in 8.0

Yes, they are actually in 2 different countries. WoT is Belarus, WoWP is in Ukraine.

I sure hope so, because the MM in WoWP is.... amazing.

Jiri_Starrider #7 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:28

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 6838 battles
  • [TB] TB
Haven't noticed a difference, 3 tier spread, which you seem to have avoided somehow, is typical (unless it changed in patch 1.1, haven't been on more than once since the patch). If anything WoWP screams for a skill based mm even more than WoT does. A coordinated, skilled team in WoWP, even just 2 planes, can wreak havoc that is hard to match in WoT. 

OmegaEpsilon #8 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:28

Captain

• Players
  • 11298 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

Probably because they used the lessons learned in WOT to make things correctly from the start in WOWP. Harder to fix later than to construct properly in the first place.

_Goliard #9 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22609 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

Yeah, about dealing well with low populations... there's a whole bunch of players abusing the WoWP MM to pad 95%+ win rates. Enough of them that I haven't bother to play since release.

talon04 #10 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 08:46

Captain

• Players
  • 7018 battles
  • [TCH] TCH
I've been playing some of WOWP and its a fun game to me the hardest thing is fighting and avoiding the Kamikaze players.

Doramius #11 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 09:02

Private

• Players
  • 7093 battles
  • [TF] TF

Unfortunately, it's not very good.  In fact I've talked with some other players and had them platoon(flight) and ran separately to see what would happen.  Review the following screenshots and decide for yourself about fair or not in Match Maker.  WoT has actually evolved pretty well over time.  It's much more even than it used to be.  We had noticed some discrepancies in WoWp.

These runs were done consecutively to show a point of error that needs to be repaired:

Styo #12 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 09:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13392 battles

View Post_Goliard, on Dec 21 2013 - 02:30, said:

Yeah, about dealing well with low populations... there's a whole bunch of players abusing the WoWP MM to pad 95%+ win rates. Enough of them that I haven't bother to play since release.

The same thing happened still happens in WoT....

When a new branch is released, players that have XP saved up and credits buy a T10, platoon with same tanks and OP stat padding. Happens everywhere. Hence you play low tiers to not deal with it like me. However this is not about stat padding, this thread is about MM.... Back on track.

Styo #13 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 09:09

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13392 battles

View PostDoramius, on Dec 21 2013 - 03:02, said:

Unfortunately, it's not very good.  In fact I've talked with some other players and had them platoon(flight) and ran separately to see what would happen.  Review the following screenshots and decide for yourself about fair or not in Match Maker.  WoT has actually evolved pretty well over time.  It's much more even than it used to be.  We had noticed some discrepancies in WoWp.

These runs were done consecutively to show a point of error that needs to be repaired:

Spoiler

Are these matched with patch 1.1?

Even if they are, those screenshots mean nothing because....... wait for it....... 5% to 10% of the players don't have a Tier 7 plane, so the MM has to throw you into those matches. So what you are stating is flawed due to low tier 7 population...

_Goliard #14 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 09:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22609 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View PostStyo, on Dec 21 2013 - 08:03, said:

The same thing happened still happens in WoT....

When a new branch is released, players that have XP saved up and credits buy a T10, platoon with same tanks and OP stat padding. Happens everywhere. Hence you play low tiers to not deal with it like me. However this is not about stat padding, this thread is about MM.... Back on track.

No, the issue is that the WoWp MM is putting the 3 top tier planes of a match against nothing equal on the opposite team with only some token effort to make up for it. It doesn't happen in WoT, or at least I have never seen a game of 3 tier 10s vs 4 tier 9s on the opposite side. They could just as well kick these players out of the queue if they can't find any kind of opposition, instead, this happens:

Styo #15 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 09:27

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13392 battles

View Post_Goliard, on Dec 21 2013 - 03:14, said:

No, the issue is that the WoWp MM is putting the 3 top tier planes of a match against nothing equal on the opposite team with only some token effort to make up for it. It doesn't happen in WoT, or at least I have never seen a game of 3 tier 10s vs 4 tier 9s on the opposite side. They could just as well kick these players out of the queue if they can't find any kind of opposition, instead, this happens:

Wouldn't that still be related to low high tier population? To me it would.

Two tier 8's and a tier 7 are platooned. Then there is a solo tier 7, and tier 8. My guess, they all waited until the "flush game" occurred due to long queue time and that's why they got that mm. The mm can't split the platoon so the two solo had to be placed on the other team. Seems logical to me...

So in reality the problem in that screenshot is low higher tier population..

Plus, the "flush match" happens in WoT too, rare, but happens.

Doramius #16 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 10:21

Private

• Players
  • 7093 battles
  • [TF] TF
It wasn't low tier population.  I'll have friends do it again, and get some screens of the queue.  WoT doesn't do this.  Also, there is offsides for flights/platoons.  Notice how one side has NO flights, and the other has several.  Basically allowing 3 groups to time in together, and dominate with coordination on a map.  With WoT, this has happened too; but with a 2D strategy vs a 3d strategy, in WoT several Lone gunners can actually have a chance of survival and cause damage vs a group.  In WoWp, you cant stop and hide behind a bldg. Maneuverability MAY give an ability to cause friendlies to crash into each other, but likelyhood is VERY low in a coordinated attack of several groups.

RyujinBlade #17 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 10:53

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13944 battles
  • [STEED] STEED
This thread is sure to be forwarded the right people who don't care.

How terrible.

_Goliard #18 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 14:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22609 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View PostStyo, on Dec 21 2013 - 08:27, said:

Wouldn't that still be related to low high tier population? To me it would.

Two tier 8's and a tier 7 are platooned. Then there is a solo tier 7, and tier 8. My guess, they all waited until the "flush game" occurred due to long queue time and that's why they got that mm. The mm can't split the platoon so the two solo had to be placed on the other team. Seems logical to me...

So in reality the problem in that screenshot is low higher tier population..

Plus, the "flush match" happens in WoT too, rare, but happens.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I would still prefer they'd simply kick them out of the queue like it happens on the test server if you're trying to drive a tank in an empty tier. In general, I'd love to see a post by the devs explaining what the two MMs are doing differently.

zmaint #19 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 10419 battles
IF WG knew how MM worked...... and IF WG actually communicated with their NA player base...... then they might tell us.   But, alas, they do not.

okjoek #20 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 16:10

Major

• Players
  • 18856 battles
  • [GR0M] GR0M
World of Warplanes is a joke.