Eagle Eye

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

_Capo_ #1 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 16:57

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

You should be aiming for weak points and tank modules (ammo rack, fuel tank etc) anyways. So what the heck is the point of this skill?

The only situation that I can see that it's useful is it's on a TD. The TD spots a scout, sees that his radio's damage so he fires and not risking getting his position reported. Or sees that his view ports are damaged.

That's the only situation that I can see this perk being useful.

Anyone else using it for something else?

HeroSandwich #2 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:00

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
It's a skill for noobs to waste xp on like Mentor.

EPICANDY0131 #3 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:04

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
last skill.... unless you have everything useful and wanna try it for fun

_Capo_ #4 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:04

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}HeroSandwich, on Jan 05 2014 - 17:00, said:

To be honest if WG is smart and really want people to buy gold. They need to buff Mentor.

Make the extra stat significant. That way people will always spend some gold to at least retrain Commander. Such potential wasted. I mean WG can go one step further. Make gunner give extra exp for Gun Module exp, make driver give extra for engine, radioman for radio etc etc.

That way people will pick the Mentor perk first. Then after they finish grinding. They retrain every crew member for 200 gold each.

I'd pay gold for that.

Now that's a good model for Free to play. You can choose to not take the extra % exp and spend time. Or pay a few bucks to speed it up.

Mentor, such a good perk, potential wasted.

deathmachine16 #5 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Really only useful if you got like 5 skills trained cause so many others are better and more effective

Pocktio #6 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:06

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

I like the idea of eagle eye, and I might get it as a final perk.

Knowing if your foe is ammo racked, or has a damaged gun is supremely useful. Akin to knowing a tank's reload, it gives you an advantage in landing more hits.

skinnedpupp #7 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
knowing a tanks gun is knocked out can be useful, especially if you know he has used his repair kit

SgtShidner59 #8 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:07

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

I find it INCREDIBLY useful, i have it on all three of my 4-skill crews right now (two US, and one German)....it can really help you assess the situation and know how to better engage an enemy tank. Like if you see his ammo rack is damaged, you know you can stay out a little longer to get off another shot (or even two, depending on the enemy tank). If you see his turret is damaged, it would be a good idea to move up and engage him, circle him, or flank him...since he will have a hard time engaging you properly. It is not:

Block Quote

a skill for noobs to waste xp on like Mentor.

....it is actually a valuable skill that can help you become a better situational tanker. That is my personal opinion. 

RRR3 #9 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:08

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}HeroSandwich, on Jan 05 2014 - 09:00, said:

Mentor is not useless, an additional 10% to crew exp adds up over time.

atroutbum2 #10 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}HeroSandwich, on Jan 05 2014 - 11:00, said:

i think mentor is a valid skill choice, in a tank that has 4 other crewmebers, and the commander at 100% mentor, the 4 crewmen get a total of 10% of the commanders exp as  extra crew exp per battle, thats a 10% bonus exp for every crewmwn in the tank. and when the commander is the one benifiting from  accelerated crew training, thats an extra 20% (in effect). 

scout_in_da_house #11 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:17

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}Pocktio, on Jan 05 2014 - 17:06, said:

I like the idea of eagle eye, and I might get it as a final perk.

Knowing if your foe is ammo racked, or has a damaged gun is supremely useful. Akin to knowing a tank's reload, it gives you an advantage in landing more hits.

^

I think the perk is very underrated and can make a HUGE difference in those last man standing situations where it's like 3v3 or less.

Not to mention the amazing results it could give combined with autoloader tanks. If the commander didn't have so much other useful skills I would've had it on some of mine already.

Currently training my commander of the 121 on it (because just for fun as mentioned :p) to see how it is.

HeroSandwich #12 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

Mentor as a starting skill is a placebo for those who can't step their game up to earn some extra xp by performing well.

I prefer having recon and spotting the enemy first or having camo and not dying first.

An actual bonus to a stat that affects game outcome is always preferred over a few extra xp. 

I can play a couple extra matches and win them for the difference in xp. 

It makes sense after you have earned all the useful skills but it's a waste if it's one of your first four. Recon, Camo, JOT, and Repairs being preferred first. (For me anyway).

But take it if you want, just understand that might be why you're getting spotted first or getting shot by tanks you can't see.

I agree about taking Eagle eye as a late skill like the guy said above. I just really don't think it's good for your first two or three.

xXRADIOACTIVEXx #13 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
This can be useful for many things like say in cw your commander is in an arty with this perk that gives even more information to use. Say a very large gunned td is holding a corner but with eagle eye you see he has a damaged ammo rack one wasted shot for him and boom his game can be over. Yeah this shouldn't be the first perk you pick but its still useful

_Capo_ #14 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}scout_in_da_house, on Jan 05 2014 - 17:17, said:

^

I think the perk is very underrated and can make a HUGE difference in those last man standing situations where it's like 3v3 or less.

Not to mention the amazing results it could give combined with autoloader tanks. If the commander didn't have so much other useful skills I would've had it on some of mine already.

Currently training my commander of the 121 on it (because just for fun as mentioned :p) to see how it is.

Why are you not aiming at ammo rack or fuel tank in the first place? There's no reason to aim else where if they are available for you to hit.

Edited by Ferrata, Jan 05 2014 - 17:26.

Pocktio #15 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:27

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}Ferrata, on Jan 05 2014 - 17:18, said:

Why aren't you not aiming at ammo rack or fuel tank in the first place? There's no reason to aim else where if they are available for you to hit.

It's useful to tell if they already have been,,,,

Even then aiming at a weak spot is no guarantee to hit it anyway, and what if you are in a position where you need to make a snap shot, are at long range or at a bad angle but still have a chance to penetrate?

You also won't know if you've hit it, sans Eagle Eye.

I don't think you're understanding the core concept of the perk and what it gives you.

_Capo_ #16 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:29

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}Pocktio, on Jan 05 2014 - 17:27, said:

It's useful to tell if they already have been,,,,

Even then aiming at a weak spot is no guarantee to hit it anyway, and what if you are in a position where you need to make a snap shot, are at long range or at a bad angle but still have a chance to penetrate?

You also won't know if you've hit it, sans Eagle Eye.

I don't think you're understanding the core concept of the perk and what it gives you.

Ok even with Eagle Eye in the situation that you've proposed, you are not going ot have an increase change to hit any module, it only displays damage.

Also what do you care if their modules are damaged or not? If you hit them you do damage, if ammo rack explodes or damages it's a bonus, same for fuel tank.

Like I said if you CAN hit their fuel tank or ammo rack, you should be aiming at it. If you cannot, then Eagle Eye or no Eagle eye makes no difference.

deathbybulletsmg42 #17 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

Honestly, I just use it on my Type 59 for fun.  I have 4 perks on it so I figured why not.  It's nice to see the icons come on after shooting a tank, and know you are actually doing some criticals.  It only really helps (tactically wise) when you can see a knocked out gun, or ammo rack dammage; otherwise it is just a "fun perk".

Edit: Since it is only on my type (which for all you noobs is a med), those are the only two things that help me.  There may be other uses for it on other tanks, but those are the only two I know for sure.

Edited by deathbybulletsmg42, Jan 05 2014 - 17:41.

dagengster #18 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:38

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have this on my brawling tanks like my IS7 and IS6. Its useful because it can tell u if ur enemy has a damaged ammo rack (so u know they have a really long reload) or a destroyed gun. These vital information can decide ur next move in a brawling situation and might allow u to gain the upper hand

WippitGuud #19 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

{lang:macro__view_post}Ferrata, on Jan 05 2014 - 11:57, said:

You should be aiming for weak points and tank modules (ammo rack, fuel tank etc) anyways. So what the heck is the point of this skill?

The only situation that I can see that it's useful is it's on a TD. The TD spots a scout, sees that his radio's damage so he fires and not risking getting his position reported. Or sees that his view ports are damaged.

That's the only situation that I can see this perk being useful.

Anyone else using it for something else?

The point is to give you info.

Let's say I'm fighting against a Maus. We both come on each other. He shoots me, I shoot him. We're both at one-shot kill damage.

OK, I'm in a tank that has a 5 second reload. A Maus has a 4 second reload. If I sit here to try to squeeze off another shot and kill him, I'm dead first. So I should back off.

Or, I have Eagle Eye, and it tells me he has a damaged ammo rack. So now his reload is 8 seconds. I have time to wat for a second shot, and if I don't kill him, I have time to back off.

Pocktio #20 Posted Jan 05 2014 - 17:46

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

Ah ok you misread my original post.

I said it gives you more chance to land hits. I didn't say it gives you more chance to damage modules or identify them. In gun damage/ammo rack situations you can be more confident in staying for another shot or two. I never mentioned modules...not sure where you got that from.

{lang:macro__view_post}Pocktio, on Jan 05 2014 - 17:06, sa

it gives you an advantage in landing more hits.

Hope this clears things up.

Edited by Pocktio, Jan 05 2014 - 17:48.