Some Basic Map Strategies (with pics).

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Joesco726 #1 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 05:57

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9265 battles
I've played some certain maps more than others, and I just wanted to share my thoughts on strategy for each one. Each pic has arrows in different colors:
Red: Heavies (like KV-3, Tiger II, etc...)
Orange: Light Heavies (like KV-1S) or Heavy Mediums (like most later mediums)
Green: Mediums (like T-34)
White: Lights
Purple: TDs (btw, if there's a crossed line at the end of a purple line, that's roughly where TDs should set up)

Beware, some images may be upside down.

El Halluf
Normal common sense strategy.

Lakeville
Yes, TDs go center.

Himmelsdorf
Pretty straightforward.

Ensk
Sometimes valley, sometimes town.

Malinovka
Some camping, duh.

Pagorki
Yes, the hill really is that important.

Hope this helps some newbies.

stormofjustice9 #2 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 06:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 9681 battles
I think these are pretty helpful, especially for newer players to get the gist of what usually happens in random matches.

Is there a key for your color and line designations? Do colors denote tank class or wave numbers?

Nice post.

TheDude101 #3 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 07:13

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6468 battles
  • [-BNP-] -BNP-
Great post for the new-comers. Also, pretty much what happens for the most part in every battle.

Kashban #4 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 08:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTheDude101, on Apr 01 2011 - 07:13, said:

Great post for the new-comers. Also, pretty much what happens for the most part in every battle.

Which is, I might add, one good reason to do things different. Some tactics are good to be done by the book, others should be varied to surprise the enemy.

CharlieFoxtrot #5 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 12:42

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7014 battles
Nicely done and useful for a beginner tanker. Lately there have been so many new tankers and for us more experienced beta testers ( please do not infer elitism here, it is not my intention) tactics have been thrown out the window because of new tankers not knowing the maps. It is all part of the learning process and I sometimes have to sit back, take a deep breath and realize the wipe is just a few days off :-) After all....it is just a repair bill!

Joesco726 #6 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 16:46

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9265 battles

View Poststormofjustice9, on Apr 01 2011 - 06:29, said:

Is there a key for your color and line designations? Do colors denote tank class or wave numbers?

The color key is above the pics, the colors denote tank class.
If a line is dotted, it means that only some tanks of that color should go that way.
If there is a line perpendicular to the end of a line, it denotes roughly where a TD (usually) should set up.

jdtherocker #7 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 17:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13946 battles
pretty good keep it up. Also If you need help  let me know. (for the paths not map itself I suck at that lol)

Deathzwei #8 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 22:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 5630 battles
Your topic is very helpful, even for experienced players. It's nearly impossible to remember all the maps strategies, you know.

By the way, I'm a SPG player. I think it'd be helpful to SPGs if you could indicate potential places SPGs should aim at. Thanks in advance.

Goest #9 Posted Apr 01 2011 - 23:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 307 battles
Is it possible to edit those so instead of links, they are spoilers?  Be easier to refer to the color codes.

Good post though, I've been thinking about doing something like this.  

I have some comments and arguments for you.  

Lakeville:

1 comment I have so far is I disagree with your light tank strategy on lakeville.  The center road is a major kill zone with no room to maneuver.  I've found it best to just leave a TD or few to lock it down.  Or do you meant suicide use your carcass to block the road?  While not a bad idea, i would like to keep that passage open for when the valley has made a breakthrough and you can rush some TD's up that way while they are distracted to flank them.  It's a good route for rapid ingress.  Also,  a single light tank is good to use on the force that works on the valley.  Get your supporting arty ready, and have the LT stick it's nose over a couple times to 1) recon the strength over the hill, and 2) Give the arty targets to soften up.   Don't bum rush it, as you're going to want a couple looks.   Then when you think you can take the valley, all the tanks and TD's must go over the top in one push.  No stopping and shooting.   The enemy is setup to defend that summit, take the battle to the bottom as quick as possible.  

Pagorki:  

I don't like committing everything to the hill.  This is one of those maps you need to repel the rush and hold your lines, then counter attack.  If you over commit to the hill, you will get flanked and surrounded, separating you from the arty, which will then get slaughtered.  Spread out in 3 even, yet mutually supporting groups.  That way, when you repel the attack on one of the fronts, it can flank around and take the hill from the rear, while also taking the arty.  IF you get over powered on one of the fronts, parts of the other two fronts can drop back and support, or can rush forward due to a lack of resistance on their front and flank.  

El Halluf:  

That picture is all sorts of messed up, flipped and mirrored. :P

But anyways I agree with that one.  The middle is a no mans land of death.  You can't get to adequate cover quick enough to not get spotted, and there's almost no place to hide from arty.  The north passage is the only way to make progress on that map.  As long as the TD's setup in supporting positions that will rain fire down on the front, you'll win.  If you limit your front to a single tank or two, you're toast.  You need to attack, then withdraw or push the enemy back some to achieve a favorable position allowing you to bring as much firepower on the front as possible.  

Malinovka:

Good.  I think the key to this map is getting some scouts into their backfield ASAP.  They should have two priorities:  1) Detecting SPG's 2) Detecting the trench line.  When I'm scouting this map, I always feel it's a win if I can detect a least a few SPG's and be able to take one out before I die.   If you can tag some of the trench line, good!  That will allow your campers to take pot shots and evaluate the chances of pushing across the field.  But the hill village is the key front in this map.  If you can take that, and then flank down the side, you win.  The trench line will start to fall apart as you flank them, and you will run over their SPG's first too.  When you have distracted their trench line, your own trench can make it's break across the field.  

Ensk:

Not bad!  In addition to that plan, a few TD's and Mediums need to hang back and protect the arty/flag.  This map has so many routes into the bases, you will need them.  I frequently am the top scorer, or at least a solid showing, by hanging back in my medium and protecting the tracks.  You can cover the entire length of the platforms from your end, and you can have single tanks covering multiple LOS's, instead of a single vehicle halfway down.  This also allows you to rush forward to help a breakthrough, slide over to support a flanking front, or pick up the guys that slip through.  

Himmelsdorf:

I think some heavies on the hill can be appreciated.  They can turn the tide of that battle, and taking the hill either allows you to snipe from upon high, or rush their flag from the east along the back wall.  I also think the Northwest quadrant and southwest quadrant should be mirrors of each other, N-S.  Ie, both sides should commit some meds, Heavies, and TD's that way.  I've found that winning or losing that flank usually turns the battle if the wall and hill are stalemated out. But the wall road does need the heavy guns.  Even if you don't win that road, just not losing it is key, as you keep their major strength occupied letting your team win the other fronts.  

Abbey (not included, but since I'm on a roll here...):
Spoiler                     

Abbey consists of 4 Fronts.  West to East: The Hills, The Village, The Slot, and the Gorge.  

The Slot is another no man's land.  You will be spotted and shot in this choke point before you have time to react to anything.  If the enemy is smart, they will have a couple TD's assigned to it, which can also watch the other 3 exits to their side.   The slot might as well be filled with rubble, it's so useless.  It's only good for late game rushes to get to the other side to help cap quickly.  

The hills need a mixed force to progress through here.  Some scouts will find the going easy enough if they're quick/lucky and can burst through the enemies first push.  A heavy with a compliment of TD's and mediums can take this and work forward. An arty should slide westward to start to help bring another gun to bear on the confines of this area.  

The village is a bog down area.   You will end up with with urban tank fights, slow, cumbersome, and drawn out.  The main advantage of the village is pinning down enemy forces.  You can't let the enemy have the village, but you can't really break through either, as the exit, like the slot, is a shooting gallery if the enemy has decent defenses.  The buildings make it very difficult to get effective arty support.  tanks in the village are pretty much on their own.  

The gorge is usually the key (IMO) to this map.  It's tight and protected.  An arty needs to slide down into the back end of it to support the advance here.  A heavy and few mediums and TD's work fine here.   The TD's can stay back and use the terrain to take long shots across the bowl, while the tanks take on the front.  

The gorge and Hills are usually the key front's on this map.  the winner of either of these front's will usually win the map.  Both of them allow a sizable strike force to appear very quickly deep into enemy territory.  You can usually flank and destroy the defenses quickly once you've gained one of these routes.

Karelia:
Spoiler                     

This one is very dependent on teamwork and the effectiveness of your Artillery.   The middle ground is very often a kill zone.  Very little cover, soft ground restricting movement, good sight lines from the defenses, and bad from the swamp.  Usually the scouts don't even make it far up this path.  Keeping a couple TD's up on your own bluffs to keep an eye down there is ok, allowing for them to also cover the north Hills, and the south valley.  

The north hills are the usual path for the scouts, as it is wide open with lots of room to maneuver.  It also has good sight lines for them to see the defenses sooner when they get close enough.   Aside form the scouts, a small contingent of mediums and possibly a heavy, if they are plentiful, should attempt to take this route.  If they get bogged down, then they succeeded in preventing a similar force from passing, so either way it's a win.  It's sparse cover and good sight lines make for good artillery support.  Which is a bonus and burden.  Just be aware of what cover you can find here.

The south valley is usually the key.  The cover is plentiful, most of it well protected from artillery.  For that reason, at least one artillery piece should drop south till they have good sight lines along most of the valley, without revealing themselves.  This will help negate most of the advantages the valley gives the tanks.   The main force of heavies and mediums should push through here.   Stick to the North wall if possible to avoid arty fire from the bases.  Duck and cover.  Pop up to shoot, then scoot back to cover.   Spread your force out so all possible cover is being used.  This will give you more guns to bear on the targets, and too many targets for your enemy to choose from. Once you break through here, make sure you have enough forces to make a push onto the bluffs.  The enemy usually leaves some TD's and a tank or 2 back to cover the arty,  and a single file attack will not work here.  Choose multiple routes to attack the bluffs, and all go at the same time.  

Prokhorovka:

Spoiler                     

This is another map where good Artillery, Counter-Artillery, and Counter-Battery work will make the difference.  (Counter-Artillery:  tactics vehicles use to avoid being hit by artillery, Counter-Battery: Using Artillery to destroy other Artillery by following the tracer rounds back to their source and blindly killing them).

Again, another map with three sections.   The road to the west, the plains in the middle, and the village to the east.  There is also a large hill farther east, but due to it's exposure and incline, it is very difficult for anything other than light tanks to go over it.  It is sometimes a good route for the scouts to take to drop into the back field.  

The plains of the middle are another kill zone, especially the mid line ridge.  All the defending forces will be hidden in the bushes, and you will be exposed on the hill.  Unless you are very lucky and fast, you won't last long this way.

Both the road and the village require equal forces to make pushes.   Use the cover wisely, scoot and cover, supporting other members of your team while they are moving.

Joesco726 #10 Posted Apr 02 2011 - 02:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9265 battles

View PostGoest, on Apr 01 2011 - 23:07, said:

I have some comments and arguments for you.  

Please, by all means. But if you would, would you post those pics with strategies? It might be easier to understand.
I totally agree with your thought on the Abbey, it's a shame that so many tanks go directly to their deaths in the Slot.
Personally, I believe that if heavies can hold down the south, the mediums can destroy everything to the north and cap.
West seems a little more important in Prok., but it's always good to rush equally.
But hey, even rushing straight down the middle works some times, so there isn't always one strategy for every situation.
Post your strategies (on the maps, please!)

Goest #11 Posted Apr 02 2011 - 03:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 307 battles

View PostJoesco726, on Apr 02 2011 - 02:18, said:

Please, by all means. But if you would, would you post those pics with strategies? It might be easier to understand.
I totally agree with your thought on the Abbey, it's a shame that so many tanks go directly to their deaths in the Slot.
Personally, I believe that if heavies can hold down the south, the mediums can destroy everything to the north and cap.
West seems a little more important in Prok., but it's always good to rush equally.
But hey, even rushing straight down the middle works some times, so there isn't always one strategy for every situation.
Post your strategies (on the maps, please!)

Hmmmmm.... I'll try...   I may have to do something different, as I didn't like how you did yours (nothing wrong with it!  But i felt it was just cluttered).  

But I've found the biggest problem in these maps is when you get a team composition that's not ideal.   I've encountered a 6v6 Arty on Himmelsdorf.   Theres maybe 1 passable firing position for each side on that map, and now you have 5 use less vehicles.  

Or when My BT7, which is equipped with the autocannon for firing on the run, is the top tiered tank.  Now the role that everybody had come preparing to play gets thrown right out.

Goest #12 Posted Apr 02 2011 - 04:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 307 battles
Updated the maps for you.  If your curious, I used the draw application from the OpenOffice suite.  It's an open source office program.  Very comparable to MS Office, and arguably better I've heard.  

Instead of separating out lights, mediums, heavies, and TD's, I lumped them together into Assault, Scout, and Reserve forces.   Each of these should have a decent mix of all tank types.  The matching system doesn't always give a good mix, so players have to know how to adapt their roles on the fly.  If you're playing a medium tank, and you always go a certain way, ignoring another route because the heavies go that way, then what happens when there aren't any heavies.  

Also, you NEED to keep a small force in reserve!  2-4  Tanks and TD's, depending on the team makeup. There is nothing more vulnerable, and useless, than a panicked and running SPG.  You need this force to defend the base, and protect the Artillery from scouts.  My plan when I'm playing my scout tanks is to find the SPG's before anything else.  If I can spot 3-4 of them, great, I then make a beeline for one of them, ram them so they can't turn into me, and shoot away.  If I'm lucky I kill it and move onto another, If I'm only kinda lucky, they end up TK'ing trying to get to me.   This reserve force is also just that.   They can react and move into a supporting position to repel an attack, or to help get that least oomph to make a breakthrough.  

That's another thing.  Be aware of your teammates positions around you, and their Lines of Fire!  Parking a heavy behind a Stug is fine, the heavy will shoot over him.   Parking a Heavy in front of  Stug is a great way to get a 105mm enema.  

This game is about teamwork and adaptability.  My strategies I outlined are just guidelines.  You have to be able to adapt on the fly.  Some people will say spreading out is a bad idea, and you need to rush one side of a map.   This only works if the other team is doing the same thing, on the other side.  Your huge attack force will get slowed down by their smaller assault force on that side, and their second, unopposed assault force will ravage your base.  It only takes 30-60 seconds of stalling a large force to make it a non factor in these battles.  If you use a balanced multi-prong attack, not only will you stall any large attack force you encounter, but one of your forces is bound to breakthrough and make a run for the flag.  

But your force, no matter how large, is useless without team work.  Mutually supporting fields of fire, alternating shots around buildings to confuse and cower the enemy, not getting separated on rushes, all are keys to these battles,  and require teamwork.   It also means smart usage of your tank!  Take cover, hide from artillery, etc.  Don't sit out in the open unless you have to.  This is a game of mistakes, and you need to not make any, and capitalize on your enemy's.  

If anybody else wants to, I can do more maps and strategies.  I'd like to think I have decent handle on this, and gladly accept comments and criticism.  These are just my views, and I'm willing to adapt them to better ideas.

Panzerleiter #13 Posted Apr 02 2011 - 07:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 28881 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL

View PostJoesco726, on Apr 01 2011 - 05:57, said:

I've played some certain maps more than others, and I just wanted to share my thoughts on strategy for each one. Each pic has arrows in different colors:
Red: Heavies (like KV-3, Tiger II, etc...)
Orange: Light Heavies (like KV-1S) or Heavy Mediums (like most later mediums)
Green: Mediums (like T-34)
White: Lights
Purple: TDs (btw, if there's a crossed line at the end of a purple line, that's roughly where TDs should set up)

Beware, some images may be upside down.

El Halluf
Normal common sense strategy.

Ensk
Yes, TDs go center.

Himmelsdorf
Pretty straightforward.

Ensk
Sometimes valley, sometimes town.

Malinovka
Some camping, duh.

Pagorki
Yes, the hill really is that important.

Hope this helps some newbies.

This is good stuff.  Thanks for your post.  Just so people don't get confused, you should fix a few things.  Your second "Ensk"-labeled map is actually Lakeville, and your images for that map, Malinovka, and El Halluf are mirrored.

bertbargo #14 Posted May 29 2011 - 04:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 3862 battles
As a player who has been on WoT for ~2 weeks, this thread is EXACTLY what Im looking for! Please! Can you make a diagram for more maps? I have no idea where to go..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users