Highest tier Tier 3 should see is Tier 4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ryacko #1 Posted Jan 19 2014 - 06:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21945 battles
Really, tier three gets terrible matchmaking.

Sgt_Sinful_Needs #2 Posted Jan 19 2014 - 06:35

Major

• Players
  • 6622 battles

Okay let's talk tier III; I got a Pz.IC that I just love.

It has coke tin armour and an mg as 'armament' and I see mixed match tier V matches against KVs and Churchills that I can't hope to pen [yet with the support of team I manage].

Now if you drive something with actual armour and a main gun that does something; why can't you find a way to manage?

I got no issues with MM; but granted that is my very humble perspective.

[fact is given 'teams' today or RNG that's what I think is broken; I did great personally... MM more based on skill over vehicles types would have got my vote]

zNutcase #3 Posted Jan 19 2014 - 16:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 2209 battles

View PostSgt_Sinful_Needs, on Jan 19 2014 - 06:35, said:

Okay let's talk tier III; I got a Pz.IC that I just love.

Pz IC is a well balanced tier 3.  Even though it cannot pen many tier 5, it is wicked fast and has other uses.

Yet, there are several tier 3 tanks that are too slow to use for spotting or rapid harassing and still can't pen.  Then there are others that can handle all tier 5 tanks just fine.  Seal clubbers get into those "good" tier 3 tanks, do OK in tier 5 matches and devastate all others.  Regular players that don't know better get into the bad tanks and are nothing more than cannon fodder.

One fix is what the OP proposes, giving tier 3 the same kind of MM as tier 1 and 2.

A better fix would be to improve penetration of tier 3 tanks, to ensure that every tier 3 can penetrate every single tier 5 so long as it hits a front soft spot, flank or rear.

Monkeyfume #4 Posted Jan 19 2014 - 18:01

Captain

• Players
  • 14107 battles
  • [PHNXS] PHNXS

View PostzNutcase, on Jan 19 2014 - 10:16, said:

Pz IC is a well balanced tier 3.  Even though it cannot pen many tier 5, it is wicked fast and has other uses.

Yet, there are several tier 3 tanks that are too slow to use for spotting or rapid harassing and still can't pen.  Then there are others that can handle all tier 5 tanks just fine.  Seal clubbers get into those "good" tier 3 tanks, do OK in tier 5 matches and devastate all others.  Regular players that don't know better get into the bad tanks and are nothing more than cannon fodder.

One fix is what the OP proposes, giving tier 3 the same kind of MM as tier 1 and 2.

A better fix would be to improve penetration of tier 3 tanks, to ensure that every tier 3 can penetrate every single tier 5 so long as it hits a front soft spot, flank or rear.

Pz I C isn't well balanced. A five year old could just simply look at a seal clubber in, say, a Marder II, and spam click and even if he misses 50% of his shots, enough will go through to kill the enemy's best player without even a fight back.

And no, tier III MM and pen is fine. If pen was improved, tanks like the Matilda, B1, Pz B2, and Valentines would be useless because the tier III scout swarm would bunch right through them. Locust can pen an M4's side and a Pz IV's front, I know that for a fact, and that's good enough. There are big differences between tier III and V and tier IV and VI, but same with every set of tanks two tiers apart. It's fine how it is.

Mikosah #5 Posted Jan 19 2014 - 19:27

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles
The more important point is that you don't have to utterly kill every tank on the other team to win. Tier 3 vehicles in tier 5 games can still be useful as scouts, they can capture bases, and if need be they can cripple larger vehicles than themselves so that others can secure the kill more easily. Not to mention that the enemy team will likely have low-tier vehicles as well that can be engaged. The trouble is many tier 3 players suddenly turn a corner and come across a KV-1. And they get the idea in their heads that this guy absolutely must be killed here and now. And so they roll right into his gun and act surprised when they die. Some tier 3s could make that kill on their own if they have a good mastery of aggressive circling tactics (and maybe some premium shells too), but this is an engagement they have the luxury of avoiding in the first place. Tier 5 heavies aren't very fast. You can always outrun them and engage someone else instead.

Sgt_Sinful_Needs #6 Posted Jan 19 2014 - 19:54

Major

• Players
  • 6622 battles

View PostzNutcase, on Jan 19 2014 - 07:16, said:

Sorry, we'll agree to disagree; welcome to World of Tanks and Working as Intended.

Q: You told us that any clan can win in the campaign, but the same old top clans won!
SerB: Do you expect me to eat your breakfast for you too?

If you don't really know what any of that is about; you'll find out in time.   :)

What you are suggesting is vehicles without roles; if all vehicles could pen and do the same as every other vehicle why have tech trees - just pick a vehicle based on looks instead of abilities.   Sherman's couldn't pen Tigers either, tank destroyers did mount bigger guns than their counterparts, all relied on tactics and using a vehicle properly thus so should we.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users