IS-7 vs Maus.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

Lightlord99 #1 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 20:45

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I played almost 150 battles in my Maus and I can say that thing is amazing in a very sucky way. I went head to head against IS-7's. The best part about Maus is that, it is supposed to be the heavy armored Tier X. And when you think about it, it should be because of that weak gun that they have given us, Maus drivers.

What really pissed me off today was the following: An IS-7 rammed me and I was stuck with him in my front and a destroyed tank behind me. Face to face, I couldn't penetrate the IS-7 turret using HE shells. Why in the world can an IS-7 penetrate my turret from the front using AP shells while I can't even damage him using HE shells? How can you seriously justify that? He was at 10% and I was at around 35% to 40%. He killed me because my 3 HE shots didn't damage him while his AP shots penetrated me. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF THEM. And want to know the best part? My HE shells DAMAGED MY OWN GUN. Are you bloody serious?

Another time. I went up against an IS-7 24 meters way from me. I fired 5 shots at it's lower hull and none penetrated. Why did you give a much worse gun to the Maus and not only that but, it actually reloads SLOWER than the IS-7 gun? Maus ROF: 4.69 RPM while IS-7 ROF: 5 RPM. Is that a joke?

I look at the stats you wrote for the Maus and IS-7. It says that my turret from the front has 210 mm armor while the IS-7 has 200 mm. Yet, in actual combat, due to the amazingly sloped design of the IS-7, it feels that my turret is 200000 mm less than the IS-7!

Why did you make the IS-7 superior to the Maus in every single way?

Maus:

1- Slow as hell.
2- Arty Magnet.
3- Extremely slow turret traverse.
4- Massively under gunned. (This one is really ridiculous).
5- Extremely bad camo. (I can be seen from miles away while I can't see them).
6- Gun made out of paper. (Every single shot can and will damage if not disable your gun. Hell, I had a VK 3601 disable my gun once).
7- Lower Hull is extremely thin. (What's the point of a sloped front armor if they can just aim for my lower hull and penetrate all the time).
8- Rear mounted turret which is the most retarded and stupid idea I have ever seen in my life. It really is THAT bad.
9- Brakes. (I go downhill and I can't stop but at the bottom of it. What the hell, man?).
10- Massive armor with many weak spots and holes in it which makes the armor itself almost useless.

IS-7:

1- Extremely fast.
2- Amazing camo due to low profile. (I had an IS-7 disappear right infront of me. He was literally 30 meters away).
3- Amazing Gun.
4- AMAZING armor all around which is sloped perfectly. You can shoot at IS-7 from the front all you want and nothing.

I truely regret wasting my time grinding all the way up to the Maus. Maus was such a disappointment that I can't really find the words to describe it.
Maus needs a better gun than that silly toy you have given us. You need to fix the gun mantel because it is annoying. I basically have to play with a damaged gun or a dead gunner 90% of all my battles.

So, after 1740 battles here is my feedback:

1- Fix your spotting system. That thing is really screwed up.
2- Fix your matchmaking system.
3- Stop favoring the soviet tanks. It really shows when you compare between the tanks.
4- Fix your disappearing shells. That is really annoying!
5- Fix your random FPS drops. It gets frustrating.

On a side note: T-54. This happened many times but I was playing my GW Panther and out of nowhere, I find myself rammed by a T-54 that appeared out of absolutely nowhere right at my side. What's up with that?

That's all I can think of for now... Flame on!

moved to proper section: Vehicle Comparisons

Edited by SiberianExpress, Apr 07 2011 - 20:59.

_Dia #2 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 20:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24120 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
It's slow because it's 170 tonnes of German engineering. -During WW2 they didn't have 2000 HP engines. The Abrams has a 1500 HP engine and it goes 45 mp/h max (I think)
Of course it's arty magnet, it's a huge target with lots of damage to soak up. 3200 HP is just target practice
The turret is probably 1/4 of the weight, that's still heavier than most tanks.
If you call the Maus under-gunned why don't you call the VK 4502 under-gunned? They use the same 128mm. It's not bad actually, nice reload.
Camo-well, it IS super-big.
All German tanks have the gun mantle problem. Tiger included. This is being fixed.
In Himmelsdorf, try making it so that you go backwards, that way your turret is in front!
Brakes-you are 170 tonnes of German engineering.

IS-7
Fast-51 km/h but that's only going downhill. -Armor is cheese when you consider the values and not the slope.
It has a low profile but that's not healthy for the crew inside. -It can cause bone disease
130mm-He was probably using gold shells and a rammer that lets your reload go faster.
The back is not sloped, shoot the back and it's cheese.

T-54
It's has an even lower profile than the IS-7 so of course it's going to appear to the right of your arty when it finally touches you.

Lightlord99 #3 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 21:11

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

It's slow because it's 170 tonnes of German engineering. -During WW2 they didn't have 2000 HP engines. The Abrams has a 1500 HP engine and it goes 45 mp/h max (I think)

I can live with that. After over 150 battles, you get used to it's speed.

Of course it's arty magnet, it's a huge target with lots of damage to soak up. 3200 HP is just target practice

Sure, it has a lot of hp but once spotted, it only delays the inevitable.

The turret is probably 1/4 of the weight, that's still heavier than most tanks.

Okay, I guess.

If you call the Maus under-gunned why don't you call the VK 4502 under-gunned? They use the same 128mm. It's not bad actually, nice reload.

What's your point? The 128 mm is a bad gun compared to it's counter parts. It is as easy as that. Also, nice reload? I hate to break it to you but the 130 mm has a better reload, better penetration and better damage than the 128 mm.

Brakes-you are 170 tonnes of German engineering.

That's nice to know, I guess. However, I'm playing a game here. You can't use the realistic excuse. I see their arty infront of me and I can't kill it because I'm going downhill at full speed and my gun WILL miss if I shoot.

Fast-51 km/h but that's only going downhill. -Armor is cheese when you consider the values and not the slope

Why should I care about the values and not what REALLY happens ingame? Their cheese armor combined with the slope give the IS-7 a better armor than the amazing armor values of the Maus that is full with holes and weak spots.

It has a low profile but that's not healthy for the crew inside. -It can cause bone disease

Hmm... I will not comment on this one because it is not worth it.

130mm-He was probably using gold shells and a rammer that lets your reload go faster.

I doubt he was using gold shells because the german mantel can be penetrated from the front easily. And I was using a rammer me which makes your point invalid.

The back is not sloped, shoot the back and it's cheese.

I will gladly do if I can get there but some times, it is just impossible given that I have about zero maneuverability.

T-54
It's has an even lower profile than the IS-7 so of course it's going to appear to the right of your arty when it finally touches you.

Which is stupid, really.

_Dia #4 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 21:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24120 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
I think, the simple fact that makes Soviet tanks overpowered is that in realistic terms the tank is 2 parts, the crew and the tank. Crew 1/2, tank 1/2. Now the Soviet tanks were mostly 3/4 tank, and 1/4 crew. If you explode the ammo on a Soviet tank the turret will blast 100 ft. into the sky. They cared about the tank, not the crew. The Germans cared about crew protection. But in this game, crews are fake and they can only die or get injured. Because this game disregards crew space, Soviet tanks are more powerful.

Lightlord99 #5 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 21:21

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostDiastant, on Apr 07 2011 - 21:19, said:

I think, the simple fact that makes Soviet tanks overpowered is that in realistic terms the tank is 2 parts, the crew and the tank. Crew 1/2, tank 1/2. Now the Soviet tanks were mostly 3/4 tank, and 1/4 crew. If you explode the ammo on a Soviet tank the turret will blast 100 ft. into the sky. They cared about the tank, not the crew. The Germans cared about crew protection. But in this game, crews are fake and they can only die or get injured. Because this game disregards crew space, Soviet tanks are more powerful.

Well, thanks for this info. However, I'm afraid that has nothing to do with the problem we have in our hands right now.

JamesDean #6 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 21:31

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6468 battles
Consider this beta your lesson on what tank to get come release.  My condolences on the Maus.  I go against it all the time in the T30.  The only advantage it has is it's massive HP that allows it to stay afloat for a while, until the Object SPG hits it...

The true German Tier X is coming, the E100.  If that tank fails, then God help the German players.

Livewyr7 #7 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 22:01

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 9406 battles
Soviet tanks are overpowered because many of their tanks get guns they never ever had..mean while.. looking at American tanks.. they hare held to the strictest standards of historic realism when it comes to equipment...

Angry_Fetus #8 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 22:04

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 516 battles
It is pretty ridiculous that I can penetrate the gun mantlet on the Maus in my IS-4 100% of the time. Easy kill.

carpetbob #9 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 22:18

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3562 battles
The Maus vs. IS7 is actually pretty balanced. I personally own an IS7 and I have a buddy who has a Maus. We did some testing with our tanks in training battles.
And at 100M we both can pent each others front armor if we aim for weak spots. Still can pent the front if you get lucky and dont hit weak spots.
Then he turned at an angle slightly at 100M I couldn't pent at all. i try the same (bad idea in IS7) he can.
On our sides if he is angled, I cannot pent. If I am angled he cant either.
If we are perpendicular we can both of course.
Now turret, IS7 has a much superior turret with its super slope and nice armor.
And speed IS7 cant go 50 whenever it feels like. Only downhill.
Now really the only thing you can complain about, (and which he does) is not being able to stop on a hill without having to go down all the way to the bottom.
Its really all about how you drive it, its not an assault tank, dont use it as such, and you cant just kill everyone by yourself.

dunage #10 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 23:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 15746 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
Each tank has there strength and weakness, and it isn't always about how well YOU do in the battle. If you take 3 arty rounds and 3 tanks focus fire on you, that is 6, repeat, SIX enemies that are not trying to shoot the others on your team, giving your TEAM the advantage to focus fire some of there tanks. an IS-7 is made fast so that the drivers use its speed and armor to get around behind the enemy and cause chaos. and the T-30 is an artillery piece with a turret. the armor is crap, it moves at an average speed, but if it can shoot, its does massive damage.

I do agree that from a historical point of view, the Maus DID have a larger gun, but then it would be a 3200hp T-30 moving around the field... and how would you feel going AGAINST that. and don't get me started on accuracy, given a target range, the German tanks... ALL OF THEM... would hit the target more times then the Russian tanks would.

The only advice I can really offer is to either learn a different way of using the tank, or grind a different tank to use.

Lightlord99 #11 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 23:03

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postcarpetbob, on Apr 07 2011 - 22:18, said:

The Maus vs. IS7 is actually pretty balanced. I personally own an IS7 and I have a buddy who has a Maus. We did some testing with our tanks in training battles.
And at 100M we both can pent each others front armor if we aim for weak spots. Still can pent the front if you get lucky and dont hit weak spots.
Then he turned at an angle slightly at 100M I couldn't pent at all. i try the same (bad idea in IS7) he can.
On our sides if he is angled, I cannot pent. If I am angled he cant either.
If we are perpendicular we can both of course.
Now turret, IS7 has a much superior turret with its super slope and nice armor.
And speed IS7 cant go 50 whenever it feels like. Only downhill.
Now really the only thing you can complain about, (and which he does) is not being able to stop on a hill without having to go down all the way to the bottom.
Its really all about how you drive it, its not an assault tank, dont use it as such, and you cant just kill everyone by yourself.

That's all nice and dandy if I can catch the IS-7 at distance. However, most of the times, The IS-7 drivers know how bad my turret armor is. They run so fast to ram me face to face because they know that I can't penetrate their turret (no way in hell) while they can penetrate mine easy as pie and disable my gun on top of that rendering me absolutely useless. As I mentioned above, I even resorted to HE shells which failed to damage his turret but it did, in fact, damage my own gun instead.

Lightlord99 #12 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 23:09

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdunage, on Apr 07 2011 - 23:00, said:

Each tank has there strength and weakness, and it isn't always about how well YOU do in the battle. If you take 3 arty rounds and 3 tanks focus fire on you, that is 6, repeat, SIX enemies that are not trying to shoot the others on your team, giving your TEAM the advantage to focus fire some of there tanks. an IS-7 is made fast so that the drivers use its speed and armor to get around behind the enemy and cause chaos. and the T-30 is an artillery piece with a turret. the armor is crap, it moves at an average speed, but if it can shoot, its does massive damage.

I do agree that from a historical point of view, the Maus DID have a larger gun, but then it would be a 3200hp T-30 moving around the field... and how would you feel going AGAINST that. and don't get me started on accuracy, given a target range, the German tanks... ALL OF THEM... would hit the target more times then the Russian tanks would.

The only advice I can really offer is to either learn a different way of using the tank, or grind a different tank to use.

Adjust the hp if needed but the 128 mm is a sad gun, really. And in case you didn't notice, ALL the Tier X guns have the same accuracy. Sure, I can get 6 enemies to hit me but can't I say the same about any tank? If my team see an IS-7, they will swarm it and focus it just like they would focus a Maus which makes your point kinda useless. And unless you can get behind the IS-7, he will hold the lines pretty nice with his sloped armor.

dunage #13 Posted Apr 07 2011 - 23:14

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 15746 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
Like I said, everyone starts to learn the places to shoot on the Russian tanks. There are plenty of places that explain where to shoot them to do damage.

Dumble #14 Posted Apr 09 2011 - 23:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5502 battles

View PostJamesDean, on Apr 07 2011 - 21:31, said:

Consider this beta your lesson on what tank to get come release.  My condolences on the Maus.  I go against it all the time in the T30.  The only advantage it has is it's massive HP that allows it to stay afloat for a while, until the Object SPG hits it...

The true German Tier X is coming, the E100.  If that tank fails, then God help the German players.

Hopefully the PANZERKAMPFWAGEN VII LÖWE will be added as a tier 10 aswell

Shrike83 #15 Posted Apr 09 2011 - 23:49

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1192 battles
IS7 is more of a support/elastic defense tank in my eyes. It's great running with the mediums to provide the overwhelming punch to break through to artillery. It can double back and blunt an attack on the opposite flank. However, not the tank I'd want going head to head with either the Maus or T30. One on one? Sure, but in a group battle? The low health, it'll get eaten up too fast.

panzerd #16 Posted Apr 10 2011 - 00:53

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14757 battles
I can associate with the OP's problems as I discovered all the same problems and weaknesses during my 150-ish battles in the Maus.  I sold it because it was just not competitive in too many situations.  And that gun does "bounce like a ball", hey :P

The best way to remove the frustration is to sell it and grind up the Russian line (as I have been doing for the last while).  Sad but true.

SuperiorBeen #17 Posted Apr 10 2011 - 16:31

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This is not a fair fight. IS-7 is better at any ranges. With my Maus I have problem penetrating the side armor of an IS-7...I have also bounced on a IS-7 turret with HE  <_<. I guess German have bad detonators on their projectiles.

Buccaneer #18 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 03:44

Captain

• Players
  • 31916 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
One reason that the German tanks are crappier to the Russians is that this game is pretty much made in Russia. The creators are biased towards the Russian tanks, giving them unrealistic equipment and making them seem better than their German and American counterparts.

The IS-7 might also be able to damage you is that the damage values in the game aren't exactly the best. For example, the Tiger with the standard gun is fairly weak, yet at a range of 200m I was able to shoot the front armor of the TD Object and destroy. And I did the same thing against an IS-3 with the VK 3001 (H).

Buccaneer #19 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 05:09

Captain

• Players
  • 31916 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
Also, after doing a little bit of research, the Maus and the IS-7 were designed at different times and reached different stages of development.

The Maus was originally designed in 1942, with eight prototypes developed. Only two had a completed hull, and only one had a turret. In its initial testing it was a rather crappy tank, and no further development was made on it. Thus, the game is left with the prototypes of the Maus. It was also rushed because of the war.

The IS-7 on the other hand, was developed after the war. There was no reason for it to be hurried and so the Russians were careful to go over the development. The IS-7 was also available to more modern technologies than the Maus. Even though it was fully developed and fully tested, the IS-7's crew compartment was too cramped and was cancelled.

Hope this might shine some light on the situattion.

Mow_Mow #20 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 16:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 11515 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
You can shoot the turret hatches to penetrate IS-7's turret. (Hatches have 0 armor) Also, while you are reloading, you can turn your turret away so he can only shoot the angled side, more likely to bounce this way. Turn back only to shoot, and you match your fire rate with the enemy. I heard "wiggling" your tank helps cause bounces but I drive American, nothing helps bounce for me :(