Jump to content


Joystick support


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

WarDog421 #1 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 09:52

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 52
  • Member since:
    03-18-2011
I'm just wondering if there are any plans to include joystick support in WOT in any future patch's? If so Please make sure that CH Products are supported, as i'd rather use my combat stick and pro throttle than a mouse and keyboard....

Freaper #2 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 10:14

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 148
  • Member since:
    11-23-2010
I can't see how that would work out.. You'd face opponents with better reflexes who'll blast you to shreds

WarDog421 #3 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 10:40

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 52
  • Member since:
    03-18-2011

View PostFreaper, on Apr 11 2011 - 10:14, said:

I can't see how that would work out.. You'd face opponents with better reflexes who'll blast you to shreds

How do you figure that? considering the turret&aiming reticle will traverse at the same rate no matter what controller you use. plus it would give analog speed control rather than 3 step cruise or full throttle with the W key...i think there are many gamers who would rather use a joystick atleast for driving.... Plus it would not take much to add support for joysticks&throttles, it would make the game more enjoyable for me thats for sure, don't get me wrong, its a great game as it is, but the option to choose between controller setups would be nice.

Deleted_User_1000413491 #4 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 11:03

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 255
  • Member since:
    03-22-2011
Why not have a poll.Let it run for 30 days.Probably will not change anything,but they would know what the players would like.I for one would love to use my Saitek.

Should joysticks be supported?
Yes-x
No-x

WarDog421 #5 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 11:15

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 52
  • Member since:
    03-18-2011

View PostTNTKingmanRoss, on Apr 11 2011 - 11:03, said:

Why not have a poll.Let it run for 30 days.Probably will not change anything,but they would know what the players would like.I for one would love to use my Saitek.

Should joysticks be supported?
Yes-x
No-x

Well i hope they do add support sometime.... I don't mind shelling out some cash every month or two to a game company that actually listens to its paying players, which i am since the pre-order became available...still i do enjoy the game as is(or i wouldn't have pre-ordered) but joystick support would make it twice as good for me, being a die hard simmer...

Vallter #6 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 12:35

    Minsk HQ employee

  • Administrator
  • 0 battles
  • 1,521
  • Member since:
    01-11-2011
I'll pass this suggestion to the game designers

King_Biscuit_Boy #7 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 13:15

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,066
  • Member since:
    02-21-2010

View PostWarDog420, on Apr 11 2011 - 10:40, said:

How do you figure that? considering the turret&aiming reticle will traverse at the same rate no matter what controller you use. plus it would give analog speed control rather than 3 step cruise or full throttle with the W key...i think there are many gamers who would rather use a joystick atleast for driving.... Plus it would not take much to add support for joysticks&throttles, it would make the game more enjoyable for me thats for sure, don't get me wrong, its a great game as it is, but the option to choose between controller setups would be nice.

because of the small sweet spot you're aiming for. joysticks are inferior to a mouse
for precision aiming.

BadgerWI #8 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 14:41

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 434
  • Member since:
    02-15-2011
Sound wave says, “Mouse Superior, Joystick inferior”.

WarDog421 #9 Posted Apr 11 2011 - 18:49

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 52
  • Member since:
    03-18-2011

View Postsadnebula, on Apr 11 2011 - 13:15, said:

because of the small sweet spot you're aiming for. joysticks are inferior to a mouse
for precision aiming.


I have no problem aiming as well with a joystick as i do with my mouse. it just takes a smoother hand to aim with is all, when i used to play mechwarrior merc's online i allways used my joy for aiming over the mouse. Though i do know what your saying. And your probably right for most people. Really this just comes down to personal prefrence...when i started playing sim style games on a pc they didn't have a mouse lol mind you that was 25 years ago lol I just think they should provide the option for people who wish to use it. i know for sure it would be easier to drive with a joy, since i could map all tank controls to my joy and not have to touch the keyboard.

VonReichmann #10 Posted May 06 2011 - 23:21

    Private

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011
Game developers - please listen to your customers ... add joystick and game controller support.  Let your customers decide which they'd rather use.  ;)

stickjock #11 Posted May 06 2011 - 23:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 5,132
  • Member since:
    04-21-2011

Quote

Game developers - please listen to your customers ... add joystick and game controller support. Let your customers decide which they'd rather use

View PostVallter, on Apr 11 2011 - 12:35, said:

I'll pass this suggestion to the game designers

I think they are listening... at least that's what I see when one of the Developers has already said they'd pass it on to the designers... :)

Radix4257 #12 Posted May 18 2011 - 15:39

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,418
  • Member since:
    12-13-2010
So is anyone out there using a joystick to just DRIVE the tank?  Aiming and shooting with the mouse is fine, just sometimes I have issues with finger cordination while driving which has led to more than one early death...lol.

pauli #13 Posted May 18 2011 - 15:44

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,474
  • Member since:
    07-17-2010

View PostRadix4257, on May 18 2011 - 15:39, said:

So is anyone out there using a joystick to just DRIVE the tank?  Aiming and shooting with the mouse is fine, just sometimes I have issues with finger cordination while driving which has led to more than one early death...lol.
that's exactly how i drove tanks in bf2 - mouse and joystick. fine grained control over both throttle position hull traverse, AND fine grained control over the turret at the same time was a devastating combination.

Radix4257 #14 Posted May 18 2011 - 15:53

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,418
  • Member since:
    12-13-2010

View Postpauli, on May 18 2011 - 15:44, said:

that's exactly how i drove tanks in bf2 - mouse and joystick. fine grained control over both throttle position hull traverse, AND fine grained control over the turret at the same time was a devastating combination.
Yep, so are you doing that in WoT?

pauli #15 Posted May 18 2011 - 15:57

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,474
  • Member since:
    07-17-2010

View PostRadix4257, on May 18 2011 - 15:53, said:

Yep, so are you doing that in WoT?
no. i actually went to hook up my x52 (for just cause 2) the other day, and i can find the throttle - but not the joystick! need to clean a bit, i guess...

StrikeRook #16 Posted May 18 2011 - 16:00

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 39
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011
Question: what would you use the Y axis on a joystick for?

Joe_B #17 Posted May 18 2011 - 16:00

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,462
  • Member since:
    03-29-2011
Don't most joysticks allow you to assign keystrokes to the axes?

I have used my Logitech gamepad.
http://www.logitech....17361/17361.png

Had to assign the keys to the buttons.
Put the WASD keys on the left stick
Put the arrow keys (the non-mouse way to move view) on the right stick
I tried different combinations for the fire and other buttons but never found something I really liked.

Liked it better for driving but not for doing driving and aiming/firing.
Makes typing to chat tough... have to put down controller to type on the keyboard.
Went back to just using my wireless keyboard and mouse.

If everyone had to play only in "sniper" mode (no overhead view of your tank) it would be worthwhile to use a gamepad/joystick.

Radix4257 #18 Posted May 18 2011 - 16:03

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,418
  • Member since:
    12-13-2010
Hmmm, I've been contimplating trying to use a true joystick and not a game controller.  Just for directions.  But I have overlooked the throttle and the cruise control.  More thought needed...

Joe_B #19 Posted May 18 2011 - 16:11

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,462
  • Member since:
    03-29-2011

View PostRadix4257, on May 18 2011 - 16:03, said:

But I have overlooked the throttle and the cruise control.  More thought needed...

On that Logitech, I used the pad for the cruise/stop to fire... worked fairly well.


I may have to break it out and try it again.
What I did not really like was not being able to "whip my head around".
My view seemed to only move as fast as the turret.
I have no choice but to wait for the turret to fire, but waiting just to see is highly deadly.

Shootu #20 Posted May 18 2011 - 16:18

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 39
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011

View PostRadix4257, on May 18 2011 - 15:39, said:

So is anyone out there using a joystick to just DRIVE the tank?  Aiming and shooting with the mouse is fine, just sometimes I have issues with finger cordination while driving which has led to more than one early death...lol.

I am.  I use a trackball to aim in my left hand and a CH Fighterstick USB in my right hand that I have programmed to send all the keys necessary to operate the game.  I changed the fire button from a "left click" to a keystroke so I could assign it to the trigger on the joystick.  I assigned the x-axis to send 'a' and 'd' keys and the y-axis to send 'w' and 's' keys.   All other functions are handled through the joystick hats, buttons, etc.  I play any "shooter" style game in this way and even MMO's.  I've been doing this for many years so at this point I can essentially just copy one configuration map and make a few changes and be ready to play in less than 5 minutes.