• [TBW] TBW

View Postgeographer, on Feb 10 2014 - 19:55, said:

KV5:  600 battles, 43% win

Lowe:  501 battles, 42.12% win

T34:  279 battles, 49.08% win

IS-6:  118 battles, 55.08% win

FCM 50t:  57 battles, 45.61% win

112:  35 battles, 40% win

Those are my stats.  I'd say that for a mediocre player like me, the IS-6 or T34 would be good choices.

Hmm hey Geo! That is a good idea..... hmm lets see....

Yeah OK another Just above average Joe here

Lowe         1338 battles 48.99%

T34           1225 battles  53.88%

8.8             949 battles   53.11%

M6A2E1     530 battles  51.32%

Super P     308 battles   53.57%

Type 59     287 battles   48.43%

IS-6           182 battles    54.40%

KV-5          21  battles     42.86%

GeisterKatze #42 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 20:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24236 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

View Postcaramel, on Feb 10 2014 - 14:02, said:

The T34 suffers from what I like to call "Hellcat Syndrome.", which isn't a real thing, but it's a grevious  lack of understanding players have with American tanks, in that many of them are meant to be hulls down peak-a-boomers or snipers, with very few "Head to Head" Brawlers in the line. Lots of folks use the hellcat as a scout, instead of a long range mobile sniper, and despite it being a damn good TD platform, it suffers (And avoids nerfs) because of this.

For players considering a tier VIII premium, I'd suggest taking a few minutes to self analyze. 

First, how many battles have you participated in and what tiers have you 'earned'.  Playing a tier VIII heavy is NOTHING like playing much of anything below tier VI.  I'd humbly suggest you get to tier VI tanks and play them for a while before you purchase a tier VIII premium.  If you are in a clan or have friends who are online with you regularly enough to platoon then you might try earlier.  If you simply jump into tier VIII you may be in for some very ugly surprises.

Second, what playstyle suits you best?  Are you a brawler, a sniper, a fast scout...?  Each of the premium tier VIIIs is good at something...but none of them are good at everything.  If you choose a tier VIII premium that doesn't suit your playstyle you may be in for some very enlightening surprises.

Third, how much are you prepared to invest in this game?  Lets say the tier VIIIs average $40 usd.  That's a sizeable investment in something that may not work for you.  WG doesn't give refunds, which means you may be in for some very costly surprises.

My suggestion?  Get on the www.worldoftanks.com site, find the 8.11 test, and download it.  The test server(when up) has been available to all players for a year now, with a very few exceptions.  You get a bazillion xp and a gazillion credits and I think 20k free gold to play with on the test server...that's enough to buy one or two of the tier VIII premiums and test play them.  Find out which is best for you THEN buy one for real.

GeisterKatze #43 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 20:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24236 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

View Postparadat, on Feb 10 2014 - 14:12, said:

Hmm hey Geo! That is a good idea..... hmm lets see....

Yeah OK another Just above average Joe here

Lowe         1338 battles 48.99%

T34           1225 battles  53.88%

8.8             949 battles   53.11%

M6A2E1     530 battles  51.32%

Super P     308 battles   53.57%

Type 59     287 battles   48.43%

IS-6           182 battles    54.40%

KV-5          21  battles     42.86%

LOL Paradat, you just posted those so you could brag on your M6A2E1!!  Long live TBW brother...would love to see you guys in CW someday. 

leeuniverse #44 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 20:25

Major

• Players
  • 38646 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostMidnitewolf, on Feb 10 2014 - 12:06, said:

I disagree.  The IS-6 is a nice Tier 8 premium but even using nothing but gold rounds, it still has a subpar gun with subpar penetration.  217mm of pen with gold rounds sucks, that is less than the IS-3 using the BL-9 with 225mm of pen using standard ammo.  Also even using gold your going to have issues trying to pen a E-75 frontally and while the IS-6 does have trollish armor, it really isn't that hard to penetrate with the higher level Tier 8 and 9 guns meaning it only really stands out in Tier 8 matches.

The T34 on the other hand is the only Tier 8 premium that truly is able to compete on a even standing no matter what map or Tier.

Also people keep saying the T34 has a weak hull and that isn't exactly true.  It doesn't have a huge amount of armor but the rounded slope has a way of deflecting hits fairly randomly and I know from experience of both owning one and firing at enough of them that the frontally hull will often bounce up to 258mm of pen from my Type 61.  The tracks also eat round and it can sidescrape fairly well and if a T34 gets hull down, it is very hard to dig out.  Lastly, take a minute to compared the Stats of a T34 and the Tier 9 T30 Tank Destroyer.   What you will notice is they are virtually the same except for the fact that the T34 only gets the second best gun from the T30.  Honestly the T34 is more of a Tier 8.5 than a Tier 8.  

Yes, the IS6 does have issues with the E75 frontally, pretty much the only tank you can't pen any weak spots from the front with the IS6.....  But, with the pref MM and the other good aspects of the tank, the IS6 is currently my favorite tank.

The T34 is like the T30.... and sadly I don't like the T30 either.  I do like the next one up, the tier 10 though.

paradat #45 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 20:34

Major

• Players
  • 34758 battles
  • [TBW] TBW

View Postgeographer, on Feb 10 2014 - 20:17, said:

LOL Paradat, you just posted those so you could brag on your M6A2E1!!  Long live TBW brother...would love to see you guys in CW someday. 

Frankintank for the win... er well win just above half the time lol.

Yeah I still play it. Since the income buff it earns well but is it a tough tank to play.

I don't really play in clan wars anymore. Not since Rommel. I stay in the clan just so they can use my chip, I do jump in on rare occasion when they are short but that is about it.

Edited by paradat, Feb 10 2014 - 20:37.

Midnitewolf #46 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles

View PostBuzzkill15, on Feb 10 2014 - 14:00, said:

Let me stop you there capt anecdote. Stats on vbaddict indicate the is6 > t34 in xp per battle, damage per battle, and win rate. So no, you cant.just claim t34 is better because You think so and call it fact.

Different tanks are better for different people.  Right now my T34 has the highest average XP out of over 160 tanks played making it arguable the "best" tank I have played.  

Also Vbaddict has to be taken with a certain grain of salt.  For example the IS-6 shows a very low earning potential compared to the T34 but as you claim better stats.  Now this on the surface doesn't make sense because earnings are directly tied to the performance of a tank so if the IS-6 was indeed better, it should also earn more but it doesn't.  So then ask yourself way this occurs? ?  

In a nutshell, the reason is because the player of the IS-6 often shoot exclusively premium ammo or at least shoot it much more often than in most other tanks.  This is because the gun is abysmal for a Tier 8 heavy, especially one that is designed to be up front and in the face of the enemy.  Conversely once you start firing premium ammo, obviously a tanks statistics is going to go up significantly which is why you see better stats.   So what your comparing on Vbaddict is a T34 firing mostly standard ammo (because it doesn't need to fire premium ammo) , verses a IS-6 firing mostly premium ammo (because it isn't really competitive without it).  Because that is the case, how can you really claim the IS-6 is better?  I mean it is pretty obvious that if the T34 loads up all gold ammo, 297mm of pen will rip through about anything and its performance will skyrocket compared to shooting standard ammo.

Buzzkill15 #47 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:18

Major

• Players
  • 17372 battles

View PostMidnitewolf, on Feb 10 2014 - 14:01, said:

Different tanks are better for different people.  Right now my T34 has the highest average XP out of over 160 tanks played making it arguable the "best" tank I have played.  

Also Vbaddict has to be taken with a certain grain of salt.  For example the IS-6 shows a very low earning potential compared to the T34 but as you claim better stats.  Now this on the surface doesn't make sense because earnings are directly tied to the performance of a tank so if the IS-6 was indeed better, it should also earn more but it doesn't.  So then ask yourself way this occurs? ?  

In a nutshell, the reason is because the player of the IS-6 often shoot exclusively premium ammo or at least shoot it much more often than in most other tanks.  This is because the gun is abysmal for a Tier 8 heavy, especially one that is designed to be up front and in the face of the enemy.  Conversely once you start firing premium ammo, obviously a tanks statistics is going to go up significantly which is why you see better stats.   So what your comparing on Vbaddict is a T34 firing mostly standard ammo (because it doesn't need to fire premium ammo) , verses a IS-6 firing mostly premium ammo (because it isn't really competitive without it).  Because that is the case, how can you really claim the IS-6 is better?  I mean it is pretty obvious that if the T34 loads up all gold ammo, 297mm of pen will rip through about anything and its performance will skyrocket compared to shooting standard ammo.

Not entirely true. The benefit for shooting gold is greater for the is6 than the t34. If you cant pen with the t34, with few exceptions, then you probably cant pen shooting gold. However, shooting gold greatly increases the effectiveness of the is6.

The is6 generally has a much bigger influence on the.outcome of a battle than the t34 due to reasonable mobility and more flexability. I.e. isnt limited to hull down positions.

Finally, and anecdotally, when players want to stat pad or carry, which of the 2 do they choose? Yes, is6.

Also, if you stock up on gold ammo when its on sale you can reduce the ammo cost impact on earnings.

Xx_HausGolden_xX #48 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20111 battles

photo shot_081_zpsb0a12847.jpg" />

I don't have a T34 but the IS-6 (after 99 battles) is the best tank I have in my garage and is arguably the most fun I have outside of clubbing newbs at tier 5 every so often. :teethhappy:

Midnitewolf #49 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles

View Postgeographer, on Feb 10 2014 - 14:14, said:

My suggestion?  Get on the www.worldoftanks.com site, find the 8.11 test, and download it.  The test server(when up) has been available to all players for a year now, with a very few exceptions.  You get a bazillion xp and a gazillion credits and I think 20k free gold to play with on the test server...that's enough to buy one or two of the tier VIII premiums and test play them.  Find out which is best for you THEN buy one for real.

I really don't understand why more people don't do this to be honest.  One of the reasons I am so down on the IS-6 is because I had convinced myself to buy one right up until I tested the IS-6 on the latest 8.11 test server.  What I found was that with standard ammo, the IS-6 really sucked [edited]and only was viable if I used premium ammo only.  Of course then I ended up losing lots of credits each match and honestly with only 217mm of pen with premium ammo even then found its performance to be a bit lackluster especially compared to the T34 I already owned.   As far as the armor, yeah it was pretty good but while I got a few trollish bounces, but I still got pened fairly easily.   Mobility was better than the T34, but not so much better I would call the IS-6 agile.  Honestly just wasn't at all impressed so didn't buy the IS-6 and don't plan too ever.

paladin0 #50 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17319 battles

View Postroslanking1, on Feb 10 2014 - 19:48, said:

Those 2 games I haven't even used gold.. 175 pen is just fine when being a top tier.. only gonna have a little trouble when facing some of the tier 9s, both games i've made over 100k profit.

You do realize that the gun on the IS-6 is just a faster firing top gun from the KV-1S? those two games you had with the IS-6 you were really lucky not to have used gold. 

roslanking1 #51 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29110 battles

View Postpaladin0, on Feb 10 2014 - 20:32, said:

You do realize that the gun on the IS-6 is just a faster firing top gun from the KV-1S? those two games you had with the IS-6 you were really lucky not to have used gold. 

It's not about luck, it's about how well you know the game mechanics and how well you know to aim and where to shot..

Midnitewolf #52 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles

View PostBuzzkill15, on Feb 10 2014 - 15:18, said:

Not entirely true. The benefit for shooting gold is greater for the is6 than the t34. If you cant pen with the t34, with few exceptions, then you probably cant pen shooting gold. However, shooting gold greatly increases the effectiveness of the is6.

The is6 generally has a much bigger influence on the.outcome of a battle than the t34 due to reasonable mobility and more flexability. I.e. isnt limited to hull down positions.

Finally, and anecdotally, when players want to stat pad or carry, which of the 2 do they choose? Yes, is6.

Also, if you stock up on gold ammo when its on sale you can reduce the ammo cost impact on earnings.

I honestly don't see the IS-6 as really having that much influence but maybe it is because I have recently been playing tanks that have no issues penning the IS-6 and see them more as food than a threat because of it.  I also don't find myself feeling particularly limited in the T34 mainly because like the M103, its armor isn't as bad as the paper stats make it out to be and I am damn near an expert at abusing gun depression.  However, I can see how the mileage may vary in a T34 depending alot on how much skill you bring to the table, where as the IS-6 is alot more dummy proof simply because you can rely on its armor to make up for your mistakes fairly often.

Lastly, you are right about the benefit for using gold ammo on the IS-6 is greater than on the T34 but for some of the wrong reasons.  The benefit still exists for the T34 but it is just not usually required or needed because as you say the 248mm of pen can, a majority of the time, do the job even though 297mm of pen would still be more reliable.  However, if you don't use gold on the IS-6, your just gimp so you go from semi-ineffective to ok pen when using gold over standard on the IS-6.  To me this is a huge disadvantage. 

dsnoman #53 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 21:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17633 battles
i would agree that 175 pen at tier 8 is lack luster and can be frustrating at times.  I never worried about it when i play it. Ive had some really great battles with this tank.  It teaches you to take your time and aim for weak spots

__PARA__ #54 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 22:27

Captain

• Players
  • 33740 battles

I'm just another average player and I can tell you the IS6 due to its limited mm is much easier to do well in then my T34, there's only 3 tanks that it see's that give it problems and that's the doom turtle, E75 and t28 all when faced frontally. 

Now the T34 on the other hand, the list it long, very long.

My stats in tier 8 premiums look like this

Super Pershing  740 battles 51.49%

T34                    304 battles  48.36%( to be fair I bought this pretty early on in my wot career) 

FCM 50T.           239 battles  51.05%

IS6.                    116 battles   68.97%

JT8.8.                 96 battles    59.38% 

I think it's safe to say the IS6 is over performing. And if the T34 is king of hull down at tier 8 premium, then the IS6 us the side scrapping king. It's damn near if not impossible to hurt it when properly angled. 

KenadianCSJ #55 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 22:43

Major

• Players
  • 14824 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
After over 200 battles in my IS6 I can indeed say it's a wonderful tank. But its not the best tier 8 prem. That would be the best money maker, IMO.

Pocktio #56 Posted Feb 10 2014 - 23:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7507 battles

I'd say it is the best pubstomper, the armour is just absurd. When it comes to premiums I rank best as 'ability to deal/receive damage' ie easiest wn8 farmer.

I'd say the IS6, 112, Type 59, E-25, SU-122-44 & FCM are the best at this. They either have great speed (E-25, FCM) or great tank ability (IS6/112) or a hybrid of everything overpowered in the game (mobility at the expense of armour, exchanging gun for camo and vice versa (Type and SU)

I'm discounting the T-34 and Lowe as they get X MM, which invalidates any form of useability they might have had. It ruins the fun and certainly reduces your ability to stay alive and do damage. The fact the others see 9s max, mostly, increases survivability and ability to penetrate and thus do damage.

SturmEnte #57 Posted Feb 11 2014 - 00:04

Captain

• Players
  • 31789 battles

View Postroslanking1, on Feb 10 2014 - 15:41, said:

It's not about luck, it's about how well you know the game mechanics and how well you know to aim and where to shot..

The random number generator could be considered luck.  175mm penetration is horrible for tier 8.  The gun is inadequate for a tier 8 medium, let alone a heavy.  All tier 8 mediums (except the T-44) have better penetration with standard rounds or a huge gain with gold rounds.  I have my rounds bounce more with the IS-6 than any other tank I play.

The armor is great though.  It can get a lot of bounces, especially when it is against 6s and 7s.  But the armor isn't worth that much when people start firing gold.

__PARA__ #58 Posted Feb 11 2014 - 03:15

Captain

• Players
  • 33740 battles

In the hands of a great player, and roslanking1 is a great player the IS6 has a higher ceiling the the T34 only because of its limited MM. Because he and others  understand tactics and other tank weaknesses he's able to overcome the IS6 short comings. 

My win percent and average XP in the IS6 is well above my over all averages and it's no fluke, the IS6 is a pub stomper x10 in the right hands. Is it the best earner, nope. Is it the best premium to carry in, absolutely.  

QuacksterDuck #59 Posted Feb 11 2014 - 03:16

Private

• Players
  • 4550 battles
  • [ARBNE] ARBNE
I have the is-6 and it has a good frontal sloped armor, I like it.

Midnitewolf #60 Posted Feb 11 2014 - 03:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles

View PostPocktio, on Feb 10 2014 - 17:21, said:

I'd say it is the best pubstomper, the armour is just absurd. When it comes to premiums I rank best as 'ability to deal/receive damage' ie easiest wn8 farmer.

I'd say the IS6, 112, Type 59, E-25, SU-122-44 & FCM are the best at this. They either have great speed (E-25, FCM) or great tank ability (IS6/112) or a hybrid of everything overpowered in the game (mobility at the expense of armour, exchanging gun for camo and vice versa (Type and SU)

I'm discounting the T-34 and Lowe as they get X MM, which invalidates any form of useability they might have had. It ruins the fun and certainly reduces your ability to stay alive and do damage. The fact the others see 9s max, mostly, increases survivability and ability to penetrate and thus do damage.

Again not true about the T34.  Honestly I am not sure where people get the idea that becasue the T34 sees tier 10s it is not fun or reduces your ablity to stay alive and do damage and I especially laugh at the fact that you think it invalidates any form of usability the T34 might have.   People keep seeming to forget the gun that has 248mm of pen with standard ammo and 297mm of pen with premium ammo.  This is plenty to knock around Tier 10s.  It is also the same damn tank as the tier 9 T30 minus the big honking gun and the T30 does fine in Tier 10s.

As far as stats to back it up.  I have a 64% win rate in mine so far.  K/D ratio is 2.5 kills per death.  My damage ratio is 1.56 and my average kills per battle is 1.19.  I am also running around with a 52% survival rate in my T34.  I also have a 81.4% accuracy with the gun, a gun I might add people consider having poor accuracy.  Honestly there is nothing to uphold any or your statements about lack of usability, survivability or its ability to do damage.

Also tagged with IS-6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users