Jump to content


On Track to the Conqueror Gun Historic Discussion


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Major_Rampage #1 Posted Feb 15 2014 - 01:08

    Game Events Manager

  • Players
  • 17484 battles
  • 3,766
  • [R__R] R__R
  • Member since:
    01-04-2012

Howdy Tankers!

 

As you know we are currently On Track to Conqueror Gun Carrier.  While you are On Track you might also find our On Track Premium Shop Bundles helpful.

 

I know we have some amazing history buffs here in the NA World of Tanks community.  I have seen you folks pull out seldom know fact about tanks.  

 

Does anyone have any interesting historic facts or stories they would  like to share about the vehicles involved in our current On Track to the Conqueror Gun Carrier?  

 

Note:  This is a strictly moderated thread.



Hunter12396 #2 Posted Feb 16 2014 - 21:16

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 8614 battles
  • 989
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012
Has anyone ever seen any documents, or really anything on the CGC? as far as I can tell its a fake and ive never seen anything about it

Slakrrrrrr #3 Posted Feb 16 2014 - 21:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 22233 battles
  • 6,434
  • Member since:
    07-16-2011
I would rather see the FV3806 (fully upgraded FV3805) as the tier 10. Replace the BL 7.2 in. Mk.6 on the FV3805 with one of the earlier (shorter barreled) variants and voila! A legitimate tier 10 SPG that's also fun to play!

Life_In_Black #4 Posted Feb 16 2014 - 21:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 26288 battles
  • 11,490
  • [KGS] KGS
  • Member since:
    10-29-2011

View PostMajor_Rampage, on Feb 14 2014 - 19:08, said:

Howdy Tankers!

 

As you know we are currently On Track to Conqueror Gun Carrier.  While you are On Track you might also find our On Track Premium Shop Bundles helpful.

 

I know we have some amazing history buffs here in the NA World of Tanks community.  I have seen you folks pull out seldom know fact about tanks.  

 

Does anyone have any interesting historic facts or stories they would  like to share about the vehicles involved in our current On Track to the Conqueror Gun Carrier?  

 

Note:  This is a strictly moderated thread.

 

By strictly moderated, do you mean we're going to get in trouble for pointing out that the Conqueror Gun Carrier is a Wargaming fabrication and isn't a real vehicle?



Hunter12396 #5 Posted Feb 16 2014 - 21:55

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 8614 battles
  • 989
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012

View PostLife_In_Black, on Feb 16 2014 - 15:54, said:

 

By strictly moderated, do you mean we're going to get in trouble for pointing out that the Conqueror Gun Carrier is a Wargaming fabrication and isn't a real vehicle?


that's what I was thinking



FISSION_CURES_ANIME #6 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 07:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 33897 battles
  • 3,222
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO
  • Member since:
    08-23-2013
At least this thread got the name of the vehicle right in the OP.

FredSmith #7 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 19:50

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 29872 battles
  • 112
  • [MUG-F] MUG-F
  • Member since:
    05-09-2012

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=207

 

If you want to talk about the gun carriage. Then lets start with the heavy tank in which it is based off of. The Conqueror is like most military vehicles, there are variations. this articles says it was nothing more than an idea that never saw the battlefield. the Centurion was the tank the British used. It was more a tank that that was nice toy. but not for playing with. The gun carriage there is little about it. The heavy tank did see action guarding the iron curtain until 1986.


Edited by FredSmith, Feb 17 2014 - 20:05.


Slakrrrrrr #8 Posted Feb 18 2014 - 15:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 22233 battles
  • 6,434
  • Member since:
    07-16-2011

View PostFredSmith, on Feb 17 2014 - 10:50, said:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=207

 

If you want to talk about the gun carriage. Then lets start with the heavy tank in which it is based off of. The Conqueror is like most military vehicles, there are variations. this articles says it was nothing more than an idea that never saw the battlefield. the Centurion was the tank the British used. It was more a tank that that was nice toy. but not for playing with. The gun carriage there is little about it. The heavy tank did see action guarding the iron curtain until 1986.

Not to mention the armament of the Conqueror Gun Carriage is severely outdated to the vehicle it's mounted on.



Life_In_Black #9 Posted Feb 19 2014 - 00:01

    Major

  • Players
  • 26288 battles
  • 11,490
  • [KGS] KGS
  • Member since:
    10-29-2011

View PostSlakrrrrrr, on Feb 18 2014 - 09:05, said:

Not to mention the armament of the Conqueror Gun Carriage is severely outdated to the vehicle it's mounted on.

 

Exactly. IIRC, I believe it's a WWI era cannon, which wouldn't have been seen anywhere near the Conqueror chassis.



Starne #10 Posted Feb 19 2014 - 03:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 7537 battles
  • 6,488
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

View PostLife_In_Black, on Feb 18 2014 - 18:01, said:

 

Exactly. IIRC, I believe it's a WWI era cannon, which wouldn't have been seen anywhere near the Conqueror chassis.

 

According to the wiki, which should of course be taken with a grain of salt, the BL 9.2 Inch Howitzer was produced between 1914-1918 and was in service through 1945, mainly as a defense gun for the latter portion of that period.

 

...In other words, probably not the gun the British would've used to make an SPG based on the Conqueror.



Life_In_Black #11 Posted Feb 19 2014 - 04:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 26288 battles
  • 11,490
  • [KGS] KGS
  • Member since:
    10-29-2011

View PostStarne, on Feb 18 2014 - 21:55, said:

 

According to the wiki, which should of course be taken with a grain of salt, the BL 9.2 Inch Howitzer was produced between 1914-1918 and was in service through 1945, mainly as a defense gun for the latter portion of that period.

 

...In other words, probably not the gun the British would've used to make an SPG based on the Conqueror.

 

Yeah, I remember that being brought up in I think it was Chieftain's random thoughts thread, but I wasn't entirely sure on the details.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users