• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Major_Rampage #1 Posted Feb 15 2014 - 01:15

Game Events Manager

• Players
  • 17484 battles
  • [R__R] R__R

Howdy Tankers!  

As you know we are currently On Track to the Conqueror Gun Carrier.  While you are On Track you might also find our On Track Premium Shop Bundles helpful.

This is our dedicated discussion thread for any of vehicles that stretches from the Loyd Gun Carrier to Conqueror Gun Carrier.  

Do you have a guide, or suggestions you would like to contribute to everyone who is working their way down the current On Track?  Then this is the place for you.  Please share your tips and tricks,  and we will keep this post updated with links to any guides that are submitted in this thread.

Feel free to disagree with anyone here,  but make sure  keep your conversation civil and be prepared to back up your claims and opinions on this line.

Note:  This is a strictly moderated thread.

Cold_Stream #2 Posted Feb 16 2014 - 23:24

Major

• Players
  • 31048 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Most of the community doesn't like arty and you go and put an arty on-track. Troll moves WG

Lethal_Machines #3 Posted Feb 16 2014 - 23:49

Major

• Players
  • 11403 battles

[content removed - off topic]

~Moderation Team

Jak_Atackka #4 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 00:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 41293 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
I'm still on my Bishop, so I'm no expert on the matter, but this artillery line is surprisingly enjoyable. The Sexton II can actually hit enemies, the Birch Gun has a good rate of fire AND a turret, making it very effective if you have to go in TD mode, and the Bishop has enough armor to survive an artillery-hunting scout. However, its pitiful range and poor gun arc severely limits its effectiveness in city maps and large maps, requiring you to move forward with your team to make the most of your tank. This is not a common artillery strategy, but it'll prepare you for the FV 304.

Ironsides01 #5 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 08:55

Private

• Players
  • 4626 battles

Thanks Jakatacka for the informative post.  At least now I know what not to look forward to with the Bishop lol. 

I just had one question that I cannot seem to find an answer to.  Maybe someone here can help me out.

If you have already started this tank line, which I am now on the Birch Gun, can I still receive credit for the xp requirement for the Sexton 2 and what I have already done on the Birch?  Or must I start over with the sexton when this event starts in order to complete everything and receive the reward tank/garage slot reward at the end?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by Ironsides01, Feb 17 2014 - 08:56.

Delphshadow #6 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 09:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 11638 battles
  • [NLRT] NLRT

I've got something of a rhetorical question, and this is more of a general thing than specific to this particular "On Track" event: what good is having a pile of credits? You're having us grind through a type of tank that tends to draw low XP because of its extremely slow reload, high inaccuracy, and utter dependency on other tanks locating its targets but the help we receive consists only of giving us a pile of credits to sit in our bank while we drag ourselves through 100,000 XP grinds. The thing that would actually help players achieve this would be an XP multiplier, and this goes for all tank lines that are part of these "on track" events.

Now, to move on to being more relevant, I found that the Lloyd Gun Carriage was painful and needed to be free XP'd. Ditto with the Birch; the damage and accuracy are simply too pitiful. And then you hit the Bishop and you run into the beautiful thing about all post-IV British artillery: high arcs. This characteristic of British guns means that the accuracy on paper is much lower than the actual accuracy. It also means longer fight times and occasionally painful range but nothing makes victims holler louder than being slapped with HE shells when they're supposed to be safe because the shell drops straight down on their heads instead of flying in at a lower angle and bursting on the rock in front.

Tullus #7 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 11:02

Captain

• Players
  • 17160 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

I posted something similar to the following on one of the other threads.  Thought it might be applicable to this thread as well.

1. Tier 2 & 3 play like "traditional WoT" arty at their tier.
  2. Birch gun has an open turret with 360° traverse
  3. The Bishop is where the British line gets a bit weird to most traditional arty drivers.  It has short range guns with low alpha, practically no gun traverse, and is very slow moving.  The guns' high arc is great.
  4. If you make it beyond the Bishop, you will find the FV304 very fun to drive.  Guns are the same as the Bishop, but with a faster rate of fire, accuracy, etc.  Tier 8 battles can be a pain since the alpha  is the same as the Bishop.  Many will stop at this point if they have adapted to using a short range gun - read heavy mortar - just to continue to play the speedy FV304.
  5. Crusader SP starts with the top gun of the FV304.  The gun takes longer to fire than it did on the FV304.  On top of that, the gun is actually mounted facing to the rear, but WG developers have you driving "forward" - with the gun facing forward - at a top speed in the mid-teens.  If you want to drive at the speed this vehicle is capable, you have to drive it backwards.
  6. I have only played the 8, 9 or 10 tiers on the test server.  I find that they are close to being what many consider "traditional WoT" artillery pieces.  Their arc continues to be steeper than other spg at their tiers.

Ironsides01 #8 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 11:03

Private

• Players
  • 4626 battles
I agree.  I was thinking the same thing as I was reading through the event details.  Credits don't allow us to progress any quicker and simply put, if you are doing an arty grind, you will have plenty of credits to ensure you will be able to get your next arty when the time comes just because of the number of games you must play.  An XP multiplier would be much more efficient for an arty event if indeed WG was serious about us 'getting through the tiers quicker'.  I like playing arty but this really does seem impossible even for somebody who can play for a majority of each day. 

Balue #9 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 20:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 54251 battles

View PostJakatackka, on Feb 16 2014 - 18:25, said:

I'm still on my Bishop, so I'm no expert on the matter, but this artillery line is surprisingly enjoyable. The Sexton II can actually hit enemies, the Birch Gun has a good rate of fire AND a turret, making it very effective if you have to go in TD mode, and the Bishop has enough armor to survive an artillery-hunting scout. However, its pitiful range and poor gun arc severely limits its effectiveness in city maps and large maps, requiring you to move forward with your team to make the most of your tank. This is not a common artillery strategy, but it'll prepare you for the FV 304.

Jak - yes - British arty was originally designed to closely support the front lines.  The Bishop, FV304, and Conquerer SP5 all work quite well with the 4.5 Inch Howitzer --- especially in City maps where you can shoot two alley roads over and break up an enemy chokepoint...... (Not a huge damage machine until you hit the targets repeatedly with it's 10sec reload time)

Balue #10 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 21:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 54251 battles

Credits? - So agree with my peers about XP gain vice just credits - especially if I were grinding the full route.

I kept the FV304 'Mario Cart' because is such a blast to play.  I also use the 4.5 Inch Howitzer on the Crusader as it is much more fun to be up close to the front lines in support and run away quickly (in reverse) to relocate and fire within 3-4 seconds of stopping...surprisingly accurate on snap shots .....  It is also fun to blast scouts whilst running away from them as the gun is actually pointing towards them ...... try that with any other SPG... :) 

Wargaming.net --- Give all "Tank of the Month" / "On Track" tanks a XP boost also.... Thank you!

ksummerlin #11 Posted Feb 18 2014 - 01:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 15052 battles
Is there a secret to getting better pen on the Birch? I get lots of low damage HE splash, but not lots of pen damage. With other arty, the low pen is not too big a deal because with the arc, you tend to pen top down so you pen the lowest armor. But with the Birch, it almost feels like I'm penning the main frontal or side armor. Is there a secret to higher pen damage with the Birch? Is using more AP the better option for Birch?

Edited by ksummerlin, Feb 18 2014 - 02:02.

LagMaster007 #12 Posted Feb 18 2014 - 05:43

Sergeant

• Players
  • 53772 battles
My guide would be to stop at the 304 and have fun.  Everything after is worthless.

captn_Kelso1941 #13 Posted Feb 18 2014 - 16:24

Private

• Players
  • 40918 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

Have to agree with everyone who is pointing out that while I am not sneering at the increased credits, an XP multiplier would be better.  That said:

I am on the Crusader and finding it to be a grind but getting through it.  I might try putting the Howitzer back on it but I am afraid running a tier 5 gun in a 9 match would be very ineffective.  As it is I find the BL 55 to be a very poor damaging gun with most shots putting up somewhere between 200 to 300 damage on heavier armor.  And with the increased view ranges of the higher tier tanks I am not sure you would be able to play as close to the front lines as you do in the FV304.  I am playing the line in order to get to the GC for my clan so stopping at the 304 is not an option.

Kelso

JerryJumpjet #14 Posted Feb 20 2014 - 08:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 39891 battles
  • [TM1] TM1

The only point I have.....   (and rather hilarious)

To me, the Loyd Gun Carriage is a "large cardboard box with a potato gun"'....

And that's all I have to say.....

Niijima_Makoto #15 Posted Feb 20 2014 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 22001 battles
  • [MIKU] MIKU

View PostJerryJumpjet, on Feb 19 2014 - 23:01, said:

The only point I have.....   (and rather hilarious)

To me, the Loyd Gun Carriage is a "large cardboard box with a potato gun"'....

And that's all I have to say.....

Surprisingly that is great in TD mode. I can miss that tank in point blank range because there isn't much of a middle section

WarTrax #16 Posted Feb 20 2014 - 09:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13447 battles

...wow... really?? -- Major, does anyone in your offices seriously think these 'events' through before they run them?? ...you guys ran the 15th Anniversary Artillery Marathon right after the 8.6 arty nerf (which i still feel was obscenely offensive to the long time customers who helped pay for the game by buying premium accounts to grind their spgs, and who you completely screwed with your "extreme re-balancing")... and now you have the On Track to the Conqueror Gun Carriage event right after releasing the 8.11 arty accuracy bug/nerf?

...there are several posts on the forums about the arty accuracy bug that came with 8.11 and NO ONE from WG will even comment on the issue to acknowledge there's even a problem... so, after seeing this new spg 'on track' event, i gotta wonder ...is this some kind of a joke? -- are you guys at WG just trolling the players for fun?? ...c'mon Major -- tell us true... are you guys just having a good laugh at our expense???

:sceptic:

btw, just so we're clear -- i'm referring to the accuracy bug mentioned in dozens of forum posts... like this one: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/330650-artillery-aim-bug/

if you're not just kidding with this event, then i have a few serious question about UK spgs;

1. Which UK artillery in WoT are the least affected by the 8.11 glitch/ninja accuracy nerf?
  2. Since WoT makes it harder for spgs to earn exp because half their damage xp goes to the spotter, but the exp cost for spgs is more than any tank or td of equal tier (the Conqueror GC Exp Cost is 267,000 versus the FV215b Exp Cost of 235,000)... -- can you give us any tips on how to possibly earn anywhere near enough exp to level up even one tier on the UK spg line WITHOUT using a botting system?
  3. since 8.11 has broken arty's accuracy causing every few shots to go wild and explode completely off target (usually several squares away outside the fully closed reticle) ...are UK spgs going to get a reprieve from the new TD/TK system with this event? ...i mean, since there's an increased chance that our "wild shots" are going to damage/kill an ally, it just seems cruel to encourage us to play these tanks knowing the higher risk of receiving an autoban because of WG's 8.11 update to the WoT TD/TK system...

...any help you can provide with respect to the above 3 concerns would be greatly appreciated, Major... -- thank you...

:smile:

3BAC #17 Posted Feb 20 2014 - 14:25

Major

• Players
  • 69362 battles

View Postchristian1966, on Feb 18 2014 - 04:43, said:

My guide would be to stop at the 304 and have fun.  Everything after is worthless.

The Conqueror GC is far from worthless.  It is the preferred SPG for CW.  Everything in between is punishment for having too much fun in the 304.

Bakta_tank #18 Posted Feb 20 2014 - 15:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15096 battles

Tullus and 3BAC have already replied with the main points about Brit line.

The thing is, this is the worst of all SPG lines, but for the FV304 and GC gems. It doesn't have consistency, that's my main issue with it. It's premium tank has little to offer over the normal Sexton. The first 4 tiers are unenjoyable or, at best, plain. Even the Crus 5-5 can be enjoyed now and then; but the first 50 or so battles are an unnecessary pain as mastering the driving backward is a must to play this tank.

Offering rewards out of the blue for this line won't help. The line is grinded, not enjoyed, because one want to gets to the juicy bits or just is playing arty anyway.

So sorry to be so negative about the line. Tullus already wrote a good FV304 guide, and anyone who reached the GC knows how to handle SPGs anyway. For the newplayer out there, I'd strongly advise not to start playing artillery, for artillery's sake, with the Brit line.

Mendoukusai #19 Posted Feb 24 2014 - 08:11

Captain

• Players
  • 17479 battles

I got to FV304.

Honestly, I loved the Bishop and I'm enjoying the FV304.

I have 687 matches in artillery (so I'm quite literally not even close to an expert, still a beginner) but I've had a fair number of matches, it feels like, where I definitely do my share.

The Bishop  and FV304 have a nice arc to them, and despite your low alpha in comparison to other tier 6 arty, the arc allows you to full damage pen more often.

In the Bishop, it felt like if you went down a flank, you had to devote to it; it's so slow that you're kinda stuck doing so.

The FV304 is insanely mobile that you can scout for other arty, hunt arty, play peekaboo and lure enemies, or support any flank you want that it feels like a tremendously upgraded Bishop.

I ran vents, rammer, and EGLD on Bishop and FV304, and it allows me to perma-track and whittle away at enemies.  As with all arty (so I've learned now), 100% crew helps so much it's ridiculous.

I hate arty and I've had fun in the BIshop and FV304.

godsofchaos #20 Posted Feb 26 2014 - 19:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 18608 battles
  • [MOC] MOC

I admit this is the first arty line I have played in my entire WOT career. I joined right as the arty got Nerfed and had no desire to be masochist. However this on track mission has encouraged me to give them a try so if I say something wrong remeber that this is just my first impression of what UK artys are like.

The Loyd Gun Carriage I tried sticking in the very back of a push on one of the flanks as the gun had poor range. This led to me give close fire support but often left other parts of the map that I wasn't at completely unarty supported. I pretty much had the attitude that I rather die close on the front line then wait for them to get in range in the normal arty positions because at that point my team already lost. 

The Sexton II is a barrage gun I could see it being very deadly in low tier CW as its high ROF and fast aim time allows it to quickly get rounds down range. However in random battles its weakness is all to clear low damage per shot. I played around with gold rounds to alleviate this but they seemed unreliable they could either do massive damage or harmlessly bounce off (which given that tank armor is thin on top I am surprised by this). Ultimately I think if its gun did better damage it would be good but it often would just detrack with HE and bounce with gold.

The Birch Gun I have no idea what to expect even though it has the same weak gun as the Sexton II so I expect to have the same problems. So any advice would be appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users