Problems with the PZ III A

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Bore #1 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 01:43

Captain

• Players
  • 10652 battles
Let me start off by saying before I got this tank I had: a positive kill ratio, a positive win ratio, a survival rate above 40%, an average exp of 185, and the will to continue playing.

In beta I had gotten to the PZ III and just stopped because it was so boring and so ineffective against all the tanks it was put against.
Since the wipe I have again decided to go for German heavies. Currently the only tank I have is the PZ III A. I have played 30 games with it. I have enough experience to unlock the PZ III. But I have less than 1/3 the money necessary to buy the PZ III. What the hell is up with these tank prices? The PZ III is absolute suck and its going to cost me probably 60 more games and thats if I do not upgrade my engine or radio. It took me less than 80 games during beta to go from Hetzer to Stug and that is an entire tier above what I am currently dealing with and I did it with out premium.
I'm making on average 2.5-3k credits per game and I'm about to just give up on this line just like I did in beta. It is no fun and taking a ridiculous amount of time (AND BUTCHERING MY STATS).
So how do I make this experience better and speed up the process. I know I probably sound whiny but I am really frustrated and wondering how others dealt with this horrendous tank.

ZombieFlanders #2 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 01:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 10514 battles
the PzIIIa is tough.  i like its speed, but its armor and gun are huge draw backs.  my advise is to keep movin and load HE and AP at equal amounts because youll use both.  go for the engine, suspension and radio first.  other ways through cost cash: premium, transfer gold, convert exp...and if you dont already,  try to use other tanks as farms.

ColBoots #3 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 01:57

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3157 battles
  • [DAWGZ] DAWGZ
find a secondary line to go up and find a fun tank, I like the american M2 medium w/howitzer, packs one helluva punch to what ever it hits, or even the pzII I have great luck and fun with it as well. also going multpile tanks can rack in more credits and a little more free xp, hopefully this helps.

1N54N3 #4 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 01:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10676 battles
I am guessing you have not spent any real money on the game?

Were I you, I would buy a prepaid credit card that has 30$ on it and buy the 30$ pack. (use paypal to avoid problems, worked for me)

I would buy 2 months of premium and if you dont have a CBT tank I would buy a T-14.

Skip all the crap right up to Pz4 and then elite that so you can fan out into SPG,med,hvy.

Otherwise. You rly just have to suck it up. Try getting a Wespe if you have no money. Playing an SPG will let you relax and play the game slowly to own.

Bore #5 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 02:06

Captain

• Players
  • 10652 battles
In the 30 games I have played with this I have only made some 50k credits. I also have the tier 3 Russian TD unlocked but not near enough credits to buy it. I am 1/2 the credits to buy the TD and 1/3 to buy the PZ III. Why am I making so little credits compared to my exp? I can unlock tanks and upgrades far before I can afford them...

drdooma #6 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 02:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 27427 battles
I have I do have premium account and found similar experience with tiers 1 to 4. You make more XP then credits. But this does not mean that anything is wrong with the game its just the way the curve works.

The reason for this is that you get significant XP as long as your team wins even if you did very little to assist. To earn large amount of credit you need to do direct damage to enemy tanks. If your tank is destroyed, you spend most of your battle reword repairing. If you have premium account this is not an issue since you still make a few thousand form every battle even if you loose.

Ones you get to tiers 5 and 6 this becomes less of an issue as long as you hit a few tanks. But then the curve changes again on tier 7+.

I am only basing this on my personal experience which is based on my playing stile.

Hope this helps.

csp40 #7 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 03:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4593 battles
  • [DID] DID
I think the ridiculous tank prices are to force you into purchasing gold.

Shoggoth #8 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 05:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4824 battles
  • [UW] UW
My friend and I just made it past that tank ourselves and I think that it might just be that tier in general because the PZ2 before it did well for me and the PZ3 is also making a nice amount per match.

Votyakov #9 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 14:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 1697 battles

View Postcsp40, on Apr 15 2011 - 03:10, said:

I think the ridiculous tank prices are to force you into purchasing gold.

Bingo!

2Dragoon #10 Posted Apr 15 2011 - 23:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1721 battles
  • [B-C-K] B-C-K
You really should have kept another tank to farm with, even the loltraktor. It makes a huge difference.

SoukouDragon #11 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 14:30

Major

• Players
  • 11063 battles
I am on the PzIIIa right now. Same story. Not only does PzIIIa get matched with higher tier tanks fairly often but its front hull armor is actually only half as thick as PzII! Turret armor is the same. It is such an easy tank to cut up. And its tracks also break incredibly easy...thus taking away its one good point, speed.

But it is definitely worth researching its engines all the way before moving on to PzIII med. It will make PzIII a less painful. And those engines are also the same upgraded engines for PzIII med, Pz IV, and Pz 3/4.

When it is finally time to rejoice the moment of selling the PzIII a, be careful to not sell the latest engine, the Maybach HL 120 TRM (exp cost 1500).

gergar12 #12 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 15:58

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 158 battles
welll panzer3 is op with 50mm but pazner3a sucks its so hard to use essacy with the 37mmtier 1 gun

Glythe #13 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 16:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20761 battles
Personally I was having the same problem and then I remembered we had a nice shiny tier 5 tank in the garage. I started making 9-1k per game (9 was on the losing end) without premium.

My suggestion for you is to try a bison. It's 18,000 credits, and you should make money very quickly (much more so than the P3 A).

I feel bad for people who didn't get the beta tank.

SoukouDragon #14 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 17:23

Major

• Players
  • 11063 battles
Decided to get myself to learn the Pz IIIa while on the way to Pz III med.

The 50mm is decent for other tier 2/3 tanks.

When I am in a game with lots of higher tier tanks, I tag along with a heavy tank. When the heavy moves up to fire, then I move up just slight behind in time. In this way, all the enemy tanks are targeting the heavy because he popped out first. So in this fashion I can do a little damage and avoid getting targeted. While this seems like I am really using the heavy tank in a unfair way, I return the favor by just being there. It makes it harder for the heavy to get overrun by a group of medium/light tanks.

If the game goes into late game, I'd sacrifice myself to scout out the last remaining tanks.

I have been doing pretty good with this strategy now.

400 exp and 4,000 credits is not so uncommon now. Maybe 8-10 more games until Pz III med.

Actually I feel bad for hating the tank so much at first (especially during the beta, lol).

gergar12 #15 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 17:33

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 158 battles
lol just owned 4 tanks wih the 50mm

Shackram #16 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 19:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 9156 battles
  • [PSTNS] PSTNS
That's definitely my least liked tank. Armor is nonexistent and doesn't have good guns, so it's tough to get used to it.

Lumina #17 Posted Apr 16 2011 - 21:02

Major

• Players
  • 6999 battles
It is fast, once you get it full upgraded with best engine and the 5cm gun, it's very good in fact, no 1 vs 1 match for a Heavy tank of course, but in a flank, it can take on just about any Tank Destroyer and SPG up to many tiers higher than it's self, as well as taking on other light tanks of the same tier range, though mediums it's hit or miss, sometimes even the 5cm gun is not enough to fight medium tanks you'd face with it.  Heavy tanks, avoid fighting them unless you can distract one so a heavier gun can defeat it.

Since it is a light tank you can not expect much.

67Sunlake #18 Posted May 03 2011 - 18:04

Private

• Players
  • 503 battles
I will agree with most of the posters on here.  Once I got the 5.0cm I haven't had too many problems.  I had a 5-kill game last night as a matter of fact.  Obviously, you can't take a medium/heavy/TD head on, but with the upgraded engine you should have more than enough speed to get to the side or rear.  Tactics are just as important as gun and armor for this tank.

The problem with earning money is going to be the same no matter what tank you are in.  Sure, you might get a ton of money in a Panther, but you need millions to get to the next tank.  The system is designed (as are most game systems) so that the majority of game players will need to pay real-life money in order to advance to the higher tiers, or spend months trying to do it.  The hardcore grinders will be able to advance without paying money, but they are few and far between.

Vorpal #19 Posted May 03 2011 - 18:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7910 battles

View PostBore, on Apr 15 2011 - 01:43, said:

Currently the only tank I have is the PZ III A. I have played 30 games with it. I have enough experience to unlock the PZ III. But I have less than 1/3 the money necessary to buy the PZ III. What the hell is up with these tank prices? The PZ III is absolute suck and its going to cost me probably 60 more games and thats if I do not upgrade my engine or radio.

The Pz III A is so terrible whoever put it in the tree needs to be fired. It's that bad. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever: poor handling, poor acceleration, low turret transverse, weak armor, terrible gun choice. It is routinely screwed over by the matchmaking system. Sure you'll get the occasional 5 kill games, but more often you'll just be one shot from a million miles away and your engine or track will explode into a million pieces.

Here is what I recommend:

Research the Pz III.

Sell your Pz III A.

Buy a Pz II and grind money in that. The pz II is about 3x the tank the pz III A is.

I was raking in the cash with actual good tanks like the M2 medium and PzII and the beginning TD's, so getting the money to get past the pz III A was never a problem, just needed the experience.

67Sunlake #20 Posted May 03 2011 - 22:58

Private

• Players
  • 503 battles

View PostSkyros, on May 03 2011 - 18:25, said:

It is routinely screwed over by the matchmaking system. Sure you'll get the occasional 5 kill games, but more often you'll just be one shot from a million miles away and your engine or track will explode into a million pieces.

I will agree with this - 100%.  There are some battles that I know I will do pretty well going in, but there are other battles that I know I don't have a hope of damaging anyone, let alone getting through alive.  That seems to happen about 25% - 30% of the time.

I don't agree that the tank is unplayable though.  I'm no expert at the game, as I have only been playing for about 3 weeks, but I really don't feel outmatched when I face off against tanks of my same tier.

It seems to me that it is more of a problem with the matching system than it is with the tank itself.

Just my two cents - probably wrong...