Survival rate

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Pappillon #1 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 03:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 8771 battles

My survival rate is the suck. I always go to the weakest flank or where the team is getting hammered, figuring it gives us a better chance at winning if I can help slow that flank from getting steamrolled. I know it's going to end in my early demise. But I read something last week and I can't seem to remember what the poster had written. He justified not going to the weak flank which made sense.

I only play the weekends and I'm trying to remember how he justified not going to the weak flank and by doing so increasing your survival and still winning the game. 

So I guess my question is, is it correct to always go to the under supported or no defense flank to slow the attack or when it's definitely not going to stop the enemy but merely slow them down you should avoid it until you clean the over supported side?

hope this makes sense. It just seems so wrong to leave us undefended or weak but maybe it's really best to do so with the hope you can get help with it later in the game? :unsure:

ELITE_TANKER #2 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 03:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6808 battles
  • [--A--] --A--

Cause it is wrong...Help your team out in any way u see fit.

My Survival rate is horribad...

_Panzer9_ #3 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 03:53

Major

• Players
  • 23685 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Always have a backup plan. Think when you move to a new spot "If this goes badly, is there a place I can run too?". This said, don't just sit in the back by arty or something like that. That will get you nothing.

mandt702 #4 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 03:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 47159 battles
The more you survive, the more damage you can do, the more kills you can get, the more you can help you team.  Sometimes if you push a lemming train through one flank you can crush the enemy, and then return to defend or cap out a victory.

Sgt_Sinful_Needs #5 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 03:57

Major

• Players
  • 6636 battles

View PostPappillon, on Feb 27 2014 - 18:48, said:

So I guess my question is, is it correct to always go to the under supported or no defense flank to slow the attack or when it's definitely not going to stop the enemy but merely slow them down you should avoid it also?

That does seem a reasonable logic and I used to do the same believing reasonable works... but really when you do the math the bottomline is you vs every red team member that is on that same flank.  You might live for awhile in an upper tier vehicle that has armour and a design that can bounce shots or hull down effectively but the writing is on the wall.   Ultimately you'll get overrun.

What I do now is either join the lemming train lending my gun and firepower to the train with the hope the bulk of green team will overwhelm the lemming train side by sheer weight of numbers - and ideally will get to the red flag before the red team gets to ours via the opposite flank... a contest of getting to the opposing cap circle quickest.   A chance of winning as opposed to a minimal chance of holding a flank alone.

Either that or hang back a bit near your flag placing yourself in a position to reset your cap should the red team try capturing it at the same time your team is capping the enemy flag... you don't want to be on the unguarded flank but instead on the lemming train side [as if you opt to protect your flag on the unguarded flank you are still between a rock and a hard place].   Where the star is using Abbey as a random example:

WafflesToo #6 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 130 battles
All the same, does it make sense not to have at least one pair of eyes watching a flank?  I've been in a few Mines matches recently where the bulk of the force rushes into the choke point at center and nobody watches the town on the west flank.  I chose to watch the town (rather than get into the choke with everyone else) and bagged a BT-2 trying to sneak through there.  But that was pretty much the only action I saw that match.

Pappillon #7 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 8771 battles
Thanks for the quick replies, gives me something to try this weekend in those types of games instead of just trying to be a speedbump.

xbreaburnx #8 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8241 battles
  • [JLU] JLU
My survival rate s horrible too i like jumping into the weakest flank and charging straight into the enemy XD more enemy more kills :medal:

Sgt_Sinful_Needs #9 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:11

Major

• Players
  • 6636 battles

View PostWafflesToo, on Feb 27 2014 - 19:00, said:

All the same, does it make sense not to have at least one pair of eyes watching a flank?

It does, in theory.

In practice, what good do your eyes do when you spot the enemy advancing, but you got little or no team to support you?   True you alert your team they are advancing and by spotting them on the map telling green team where they are - but do keep in mind your team consists of a bunch of yolo artists who haven't clued into the basic that is map reading to begin with.

Don't watch the flank, watch your flag instead from the opposite end... trying to stop a landslide by yourself never ends well; but if you are near your flag you are still a set of eyes, you can still reset the counter if the reds are capping and you have the support of arty and the usual assortment of TDs that tend to hang back.

[ps - Russian tanks have lousy view range as a general rule - chances are someone in a vehicle with better view range will spot you before you spot them with BT-2s not able to survive many hits]

Sgt_Sinful_Needs #10 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:18

Major

• Players
  • 6636 battles

View PostPappillon, on Feb 27 2014 - 19:06, said:

Thanks for the quick replies, gives me something to try this weekend in those types of games instead of just trying to be a speedbump.

If I could suggest any way of being the lone person on a flank against overwhelming numbers was a scenario you could win at believe me I'd be suggesting it; but yeah the usual end result is me being a speed bump lol.   I might delay the enemy a little, but not much else - and a learned enemy would simply en masse rush me.

DrumBadlands #11 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:27

Private

• Players
  • 24457 battles

Well this is the most crap I've seen in a while on this topic.  Last time, the WoT guru said it's like Vegas.  Just "odds".  Like I said then I win more in Vegas than this game.  Loss after loss after loss.  Go ahead and check my account, cause gold purchases are going to be few and far between now until you balance this crap out.

thanks for cry,

badlands.

SymbiosisBC #12 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:27

Major

• Players
  • 19740 battles

There is NO 'correct' way to play each battle/map. There are many variables that you have to analyze in the seconds before the battle begins:

• What is your role? Spotting, 2nd line support, sniper, top-tier heavy, etc.?
  • What does the enemy team have? Lots of TD's, a platoon of T-54's, three SPG's, etc.?
  • XVM (very helpful making these decisions!) can tell you how good the heavy-hitters and 2nd-line players on your team are and the same for the enemy team.
  • Know your strengths & weaknesses; Do you shine in a MT, but are challenged in HT's? Are you a good scout? Can you anticipate what enemy players are going to do?
  • Are you always glancing at the minimap (the most underrated tool in your kit!)?
  • And, IMHO most importantly, can you modify your plan based upon how the battle develops? Are you fast enough to relocate? Can you see one flank disintegrating and scoot over to help? Do you wait in a choke-point with four of your teammates, or look to see where you can be of more use?

What it boils down to, my friend, is that there is no steadfast 'rule'. Sometimes you will see what needs to be done, but your teammates don't see it. When that happens, just roll with the punches: you see an exposed flank, but the lemming train goes another direction; go with the lemmings, because to do otherwise, you will most likely die quickly and alone, and the team will still lose. Might as well put on your lemming costume and survive to get a few shots in.

Before your gaming session, why not search YouTube for strategy or specifics on how to play a particular tank. This is where I learned the most, plus it gets me motivated to try new tactics. You can also google, "Wot, strategy, survival" and other such combinations — tons of written resources out there!

Good luck, and to quote Buckaroo Banzi, "Remember: No matter where you go, there you are."

Nickeroo #13 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 04:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17809 battles
I'll gladly sacrifice my tank holding a flank or taking shots for a more influential gun if it means my team will have a better chance at winning. Winning>surviving in my book

Pappillon #14 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 05:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 8771 battles

View PostNickeroo, on Feb 28 2014 - 04:37, said:

I'll gladly sacrifice my tank holding a flank or taking shots for a more influential gun if it means my team will have a better chance at winning. Winning>surviving in my book

Of course, that is why I would go there. But what the poster had written seemed to click, unfortunately I can't recall what he had written. But basically it made me conclude in those circumstances sacrificing my tank doesn't equal winning the game. It may be best to live longer doing more damage and as was mentioned above be able to position to reset the cap and have more support from the lemming train being in the same vicinity is probably the better choice. 

Someone also stated it depends on many factors that I didn't specify. I normally I play a td or a heavy. I can of course hold them longer in a heavy but 1 against 5 is probably  going to conclude with my destruction in the end most likely after 5minutes they realize it just me or me and 1 other. neither my td or ht  is going to be able to escape when hps become low, it was more of a hope to slow the enemy advance. 

Im sill learning, but at 2k games I know where the battle lines are generally going to be and if no one goes to one of those areas or if just 1 goes, I would go solo or go to support. Even though I know at least 4-5 should be there to win that flank and I will be destroyed.

angelreaper #15 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 06:05

Major

• Players
  • 24062 battles

View PostWafflesToo, on Feb 27 2014 - 22:00, said:

All the same, does it make sense not to have at least one pair of eyes watching a flank?  I've been in a few Mines matches recently where the bulk of the force rushes into the choke point at center and nobody watches the town on the west flank.  I chose to watch the town (rather than get into the choke with everyone else) and bagged a BT-2 trying to sneak through there.  But that was pretty much the only action I saw that match.

Pub matches are predictable if you leave a flank unguarded you can almost guarantee 3-4 tanks will eventually roll down it.  If that's the case then why do we need eyes on that flank?  You have nobody to shoot said spots..............Most players that formed the lemming train wont look at their maps anyhow.  So your spots could be better used else where on the map,and that would contribute to your team winning.  After all every player good or bad will shoot at tanks spotted in front of them.  Not many in wot actually look at their maps.

angelreaper #16 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 06:12

Major

• Players
  • 24062 battles

View PostPappillon, on Feb 27 2014 - 23:55, said:

Of course, that is why I would go there. But what the poster had written seemed to click, unfortunately I can't recall what he had written. But basically it made me conclude in those circumstances sacrificing my tank doesn't equal winning the game. It may be best to live longer doing more damage and as was mentioned above be able to position to reset the cap and have more support from the lemming train being in the same vicinity is probably the better choice. 

Someone also stated it depends on many factors that I didn't specify. I normally I play a td or a heavy. I can of course hold them longer in a heavy but 1 against 5 is probably  going to conclude with my destruction in the end most likely after 5minutes they realize it just me or me and 1 other. neither my td or ht  is going to be able to escape when hps become low, it was more of a hope to slow the enemy advance. 

Im sill learning, but at 2k games I know where the battle lines are generally going to be and if no one goes to one of those areas or if just 1 goes, I would go solo or go to support. Even though I know at least 4-5 should be there to win that flank and I will be destroyed.

You want to try to stay alive when ever possible If you know where the enemy is coming from pick a spot over looking cap.  Preferably a spot where you are elevated and the enemy has to go through open ground.  You can chose the terrain in which you fight the battle so maximize your survivability by picking a good spot for your tank.  This will allow you to do more damage get more kills and improve the rest of your stats.

Nickeroo #17 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 08:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17809 battles

View PostPappillon, on Feb 27 2014 - 20:55, said:

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Of course you want to stay alive as long as possible and be as much of a thorn in the side to your enemy and help your team out as much as possible, but for my the keyword in my previous post was if. The way I see it, when someone needs to hold a flank just to delay an enemy advance or scout when it's absolutely necessary, I'll be more than happy to do it. IF it means my team will win in the end. I won't stick my neck out more than I have to, and I will try to stay alive as long as I possibly can. 

And like everyone is saying, yeah it depends on a whole lot of factors, and those factors are unique for each person. Where as you play heavies and tds, I play mediums and heavies. I think I'm more of an aggressive tanker and my play style and decisions reflect that. Your own play style, vehicle, map, team, and everything else determine how you play.

When it comes to holding flanks though, there is something I like to keep in mind that seems to hold true in my experience, but might not for others. When a team lemming trains down one side of the map and leaves the other severely under powered or just plain empty, it might not be best for you to be that lone tank that tries to fill that gap. Your death won't be worth much in that circumstance. Might as well go and do the wrong thing together, there is still strength in numbers.

I try not to rely on my team mates too much. That is, make your own decisions at the beginning of the game by being aware of what's happening on your mini map. Don't play a game based off your prior experience on any given map or in any given tank, because each battle plays out differently (although each map has its norms). 

Just my two cents. I'm no expert at this game either, and I don't have that many battles under my belt. :tongue: But hey, take it for what it's worth. I hope it can be a little helpful.

TankFullOfBourbon #18 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 10:41

Major

• Players
  • 30531 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
My 5 cents. It should not be the team's weakest link that protects the unsupported flank. OP seems to be quite new and inexperienced, and would be totally the wrong player to take on a flanking force by himself. He'd be better off joining the lemming train.

Evocoot #19 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 14:03

Captain

• Players
  • 7974 battles
Holding the unguarded flank I think is largely map dependent. Some of the maps have flanks that a single tank can hold. Never underestimate the damage aversion of your opponents. Sometimes a single shot can stop a column of tanks because they all sit and wait for someone else to go first.

Muttly66 #20 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 14:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15187 battles
Considering when the "lemming train " all go to a choke point and are held up by one TD,  and slowly decimated and I go the other way to delay their advance I delayed what?  I get killed by a ton of reds they roll into cap and the lemmings are dead too. So I started following the advice of others and follow the train, get what hits,dmg,kills I can then turn reset cap as Long as I can. We still lose, but I end up with double exp, and dmg.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users