Survival rate

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Fitz506 #21 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 14:54

Major

• Players
  • 42842 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA
Lemming trains are always fun. They can work as long as it doesn't stall. Once it does, you are going to lose. So either take the point and keep it pushing or sit back and farm WN8 while waiting for the upcoming loss ;) I used to try and hold the weak flank, but when only 2 tanks go, you are going to die very quickly and get nothing from it.

Moose_Thirteen #22 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 15:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15688 battles

I'm a big believer in adapting your personal strategy to what your teammates are doing, even if you disagree with it.  You can rage and scream in chat hoping that people will play smarter (or what you believe to be smarter,) but that rarely works.  Best to work with what you've got.

But before I get too impressed with myself and how clever I am for doing so, it never hurts to remind yourself that the guy who is making an intelligent, tactical decision to roll with the lemming train because it gives his team the best chance to win and the "yolo n00b" who's doing it because he's an idiot look the same on the mini map. 

ShadowDancer27 #23 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 15:50

Major

• Players
  • 31034 battles

It depends on when and how you support.  If you are in a stealthy TD and your overmatched allies have some hard cover you can potentially extend their lives by punishing anything tanks that try to root them out.  I have seen this work where 5 tanks are taking turns trying to poke the bunny out of its hole and each gets tracked and plinked apart.  If all 5 just pushed the bunny dies, they take one or two hits and roll.  If however the flank has folded or is folding throwing yourself in front of 5 guns won't slow them down.

Sgt Sinful's map picture is an example of folding a flank.  If the lemming train fails there is nothing you can do.  Likely they will succeed so putting your back to them and your gun to the enemy that got a free pass is the best you can do.  Since it is open and you have cover you can get free shots at anything that comes through town.  The river side has a hill in the way but if they are fools you might be able to shoot them if they crest.

jwuNA #24 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 15:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

Keep in mind, defending a weak flank is not really about preventing the enemy from reaching one's base, but about preventing him from capping the base. Whether one achieves this by delaying the start of the cap or by disturbing the progress of the cap is both fine.

Basically one has two choices: Defend the weak flank or defend the cap circle.

Defending the weak flank has major problems:

1. The enemy wants to get past you, so he will surely close in. That limits your options for things like playing with hull down or camo.

2. You need to actually kill the enemy

3. You are alone without any support

4. The enemy will make use of terrain features.

Instead of this one can try to delay the enemy at one's own very base, with the enemy already sitting in it. Compared to the other alternative, this has numerous advantages:

1. The enemy doesn't want to "get" you in most situations. He'll sit at the cap and keep the distance, as most teams aren't smart enough to send out more tanks to protect the cappers. this enables you to play with camo, hull down and so on. The overall exchanged DPM is reduced due to the distance (less penetration and accuracy). That's in your favor too - you want to drag this out as long as possible.

2.  You need to score just 1HP in damage or even some zero damage crit to the tracks to reset cap. The enemy must take actual HP off you. It's much easier to reset cap than to actually kill the enemy.

3. At the base, some of the rearguard of the lemmings might actually use their brain and turn back. You can at least hope to get some support.

4. The base usually is quite open space without any terrain that could be used as cover.

i'm sure you've already been on the receiving end of a group of players that does this - almost everyone has.

Just think about e.g. Arctic Region:

http://wiki.worldoft...ctic_Region.jpg

You fought your way along the corner in the south east, and are going to cap the northern base. But as you are in the base, you find out that there are some enemy tanks at B7 that cause you major trouble. They keep resetting your cap, taking chunk after chunk off your HP, while you can only hit their strong turret armor - if you can see them at all.

If there is a really weak flank, then it also can make sense to support that flank, but with a fall back plan. Once you see that the flank will fall, get out of there and resort to resetting the cap.

Edited by jwuNA, Feb 28 2014 - 15:55.

Twinkieeze #25 Posted Feb 28 2014 - 17:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11968 battles

I play solo 100% of the time so coordination is usually lacking but I follow the train most times while I play TDs. 

Instead of just dying as a speed bump I would rather try to help push one side and if needed recruit one or two to go back to reset cap. 

TankFullOfBourbon #26 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 10:12

Major

• Players
  • 31169 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostPappillon, on Feb 28 2014 - 03:48, said:

My survival rate is the suck. I always go to the weakest flank or where the team is getting hammered, figuring it gives us a better chance at winning if I can help slow that flank from getting steamrolled. I know it's going to end in my early demise. But I read something last week and I can't seem to remember what the poster had written. He justified not going to the weak flank which made sense.

I only play the weekends and I'm trying to remember how he justified not going to the weak flank and by doing so increasing your survival and still winning the game. 

So I guess my question is, is it correct to always go to the under supported or no defense flank to slow the attack or when it's definitely not going to stop the enemy but merely slow them down you should avoid it until you clean the over supported side?

hope this makes sense. It just seems so wrong to leave us undefended or weak but maybe it's really best to do so with the hope you can get help with it later in the game? :unsure:

Are you trolling, mate?

Nothing wrong with your survival rate. Nor with your win rate. As fas as I can see from your stats, you are not making any bad decisions in your gameplay.

_Smang_ #27 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 11:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38868 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
This was a 5 year old necro by the sales bot. The op had a quite a while to do better :D

TankFullOfBourbon #28 Posted Sep 13 2019 - 07:29

Major

• Players
  • 31169 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Post_Smang_, on Sep 12 2019 - 11:40, said:

This was a 5 year old necro by the sales bot. The op had a quite a while to do better :D

Lol. I didn't see that. Well, OP certainly did improve over the years. 

I wonder how this post showed up at the top of the threads in the forum?

dunniteowl #29 Posted Sep 13 2019 - 18:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

There is a deleted post between your response, TFoB, and the last post in thread.  I reported it as spam and it has since been removed.  The BOT necro'd the thread.

Everyone else here?  Move along, nothing to see here.  Only bones from a long dead thread.

OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users