Newbie Gameplay Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Mancolt #1 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 16:36

Private

• Players
  • 360 battles
I'm relatively new to this game, just started a few days ago.  I really enjoy playing in the lower tier battles with some equal competition.  I almost have my KV, which has been an absolute grind trying to get.  I hate playing in my T-28 right now because I am always getting thrown into battles with tier 6 and 7 tanks.  I am in the bottom 3 of the list 4/5 games.  And my rounds bounce off of the higher tanks every single time.  There's no point in even shooting at them.  I've tried using HE rounds as I've read on this forum, but even then, I rarely do any damage.  But anyways, close to my KV and hopefully being able to actually inflict some damage on the higher tanks.

So I've come up with a number of questions about this game.  Unfortunately, there aren't many websites that have any useful info about this game and the information I've been able to find in game doesn't cover these topics.  So I'll list my questions below.

Equipment
  • Can the optional equipment (that costs 500k credits) like enhanced gun laying drive, coated optics, etc be transferred from tank to tank?  Or is it specific to the tank on which it is initially purchased?
  • At what point (tier) do you start to purchase optional equipment for tanks?

Crew
  • How much of a benefit does increased training/skill provide?
  • At what point do you start trying to max your crew's skill? I have elite on a few vehicles, but have been converting the Experience to Free Experience so I can use it on other vehicles.
  • What skills are the most useful for crew members?
  • Are you able to transfer crew members from one tank to another? Is there any benefit to doing this or do they go back to 50% skill level on the new tank? Do they lose their 100% skill in the old tank?

Tactics/General Gameplay
  • How does the range at which you're able to detect an enemy tank change?  Do they have to be in line of sight?
  • Is there anyway to shoot more accurately on the move? As things are now, I almost always have to come to a complete stop if I want to be able to hit anything.
  • How do you hit a tank on the move? Do you have to put your crosshairs on the leading portion of the tank, or do you have to actually lead the whole tank (ie crosshairs several feet in front of the tank) depending on speed? I ask because my crosshairs always seem to "lock" onto a tank if I try to lead it only a little bit, or when I'm actually able to pull that off, the rounds dont hit or deal any damage.
  • If a tank is not "visible" but you know it's there, is it possible to deal damage? I've had tanks go invisible while I was looking at them, and I know they haven't moved. I've continued to fire on the area where they are, but they come back in the same spot having taken no damage.

Tanks
  • Is it worth maxing out each tank when you are leveling up (getting them to elite status) or is this a waste of XP?
  • What function does the radio serve? Does it allow you to relay enemy positions (so the enemies show up on your allies' maps) when you are further away from them?

Thanks in advance for the help!

iRA6E #2 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 16:42

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17427 battles
Wow...Lots of good questions I might suggest a trip to the WOT WIKI....see the home page....most of this is there.

LInk:   My link

_Dia_ #3 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 16:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 32240 battles
Equipment
  • Can the optional equipment (that costs 500k credits) like enhanced gun laying drive, coated optics, etc be transferred from tank to tank? Or is it specific to the tank on which it is initially purchased?
Some are permanent, and some are not.
Usually at tiers 6-10 because those are important, and these things help in in the long run.

Crew
They are not really noticeable but they do benefit you in little ways.
  • At what point do you start trying to max your crew's skill? I have elite on a few vehicles, but have been converting the Experience to Free Experience so I can use it on other vehicles.
As you are gaining exp. on your vehicle your crew members are also leveling up in %-wise. Once you hit elite you can click 'accelerate crew training" for even faster training.
Try doing all three.
  • Are you able to transfer crew members from one tank to another? Is there any benefit to doing this or do they go back to 50% skill level on the new tank? Do they lose their 100% skill in the old tank?
I have no idea.

Tactics/General Gameplay
  • How does the range at which you're able to detect an enemy tank change? Do they have to be in line of sight?
Right now the spotting system is kind of messed up so it's really hard to correctly tell.
  • Is there anyway to shoot more accurately on the move? As things are now, I almost always have to come to a complete stop if I want to be able to hit anything.
It depends on your gun and how fast you are moving. Certain guns have more accuracy than others, and other guns have circles that almost always remain closed. German guns tend to be more accurate.
  • How do you hit a tank on the move? Do you have to put your crosshairs on the leading portion of the tank, or do you have to actually lead the whole tank (ie crosshairs several feet in front of the tank) depending on speed? I ask because my crosshairs always seem to "lock" onto a tank if I try to lead it only a little bit, or when I'm actually able to pull that off, the rounds dont hit or deal any damage.
If you are doing manual aiming, yes you have to aim a little in front of it, it depends on how fast the tank is moving.
  • If a tank is not "visible" but you know it's there, is it possible to deal damage? I've had tanks go invisible while I was looking at them, and I know they haven't moved. I've continued to fire on the area where they are, but they come back in the same spot having taken no damage.
Yes. I've killed tanks that just vanished moments before.

Tanks
  • Is it worth maxing out each tank when you are leveling up (getting them to elite status) or is this a waste of XP?
Well, an elite tank is better because all the exp. on that tank can now be converted to free exp. using gold, but it depends on the tank and how many branches it unlocks. Take the KV. It's a pain the Elite because the S-51 costs 120,000+ exp., and the KV-3 and KV-1S together is about 50,000+. A Leichtraktor, on the other hand is far easier.
  • What function does the radio serve? Does it allow you to relay enemy positions (so the enemies show up on your allies' maps) when you are further away from them?
Radio serves as a means of communication. When you are far away from your team-mates, you may find that if you have a bad radio, they will vanish from your mini-map.

Good luck!

kaceyshadow #4 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 16:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 2154 battles

View PostMancolt, on Apr 19 2011 - 16:36, said:

Equipment
  • Can the optional equipment (that costs 500k credits) like enhanced gun laying drive, coated optics, etc be transferred from tank to tank?  Or is it specific to the tank on which it is initially purchased?

1. Equipment that has a (Lock) on its icon, means that equipment cannot be transferred to another tank, thus if you sell the tank that piece of equipment is lost. Something like the camo-net or binocular's can however be unequipped and moved to another tank.
2. I started at about tier 4-5 because at that point it costs about 14k research points to get your next tier tank.

Crew

1. it's about a 25% difference but your Commander is the most important because his total training is split down to all the other crew members, so if you have the spare funds do the 75% on at least the commander.
2. I would say start working on the accelerated training at about tier 5-6 or higher or even just wait until you get your highest level tank you want to play in for the time being. Building up your crew's first skill takes a lot of time. Out of 4 tanks now my main crew is only 86% towards finishing their first skill.
3. That is more of a personal preference, for me I am going Camo first then repair for my second skill.
4. It's only beneficial if you have started to train the crew in their first skill, or to spare you the cost of purchasing a fresh crew. Yes, they will loss that 100% skill from the old tank because you have to retrain them with the new tank, but they will "not" loss progress they have gained in their skill training. (If this makes sense)

Tanks

1. This is a personal preference, for me I am maxing out all tanks I play just for the hell of it :Smile-playing:
2. The radio allows you to receive information from your fellow team mates mini maps, so say a team mate gets out of your radio range and disappear from your mini map, this means you will no longer be able to see on your mini map anything they see. Mostly the radio is useful for spotting so that way you can fire on enemies from very long range.

_Bergs_ #5 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 17:02

Major

• Players
  • 22215 battles

I'm relatively new to this game, just started a few days ago.  I really enjoy playing in the lower tier battles with some equal competition.  I almost have my KV, which has been an absolute grind trying to get.  I hate playing in my T-28 right now because I am always getting thrown into battles with tier 6 and 7 tanks.  I am in the bottom 3 of the list 4/5 games.  And my rounds bounce off of the higher tanks every single time.  There's no point in even shooting at them.  I've tried using HE rounds as I've read on this forum, but even then, I rarely do any damage.  But anyways, close to my KV and hopefully being able to actually inflict some damage on the higher tanks.

For the T-28 try the 85mm, it is definitely capable of hurting tanks upto tier 7.

So I've come up with a number of questions about this game.  Unfortunately, there aren't many websites that have any useful info about this game and the information I've been able to find in game doesn't cover these topics.  So I'll list my questions below.

Equipment
    With the next patch you will be able to detach a piece of mounted equipment for 10 gold.
    Around tier 6 or 7 is when I usually make such purchases for mounted equipment; for movable equipment, around tier 5.

Crew
    Maxed crews make your tank that much more competitive, so there isn't really a negative to doing it.
    Get a crew to 100% asap and just transfer them to your next tank for 20,000 creds per crew member and they'll only go down to 90% and keep their skills.
    Start camo, then repair, then firefighting.
    Refer to the answer above.

Tactics/General Gameplay
  • How does the range at which you're able to detect an enemy tank change?  Do they have to be in line of sight?
    It depends if they are moving, or in cover, or in line of sight at all. Each tank has a view range associated with it and can be augmented with equipment. Minimum distance for an enemy to always appear is 50m.
    Higher tier tanks can equip a vertical stabilizer that helps with that significantly.
    Leading is involved and takes proper analysis of speed and distance, as well as knowledge of the velocity of the round you are firing.
    Yes you can hit tanks you cannot "see."

Tanks
    Depends how much you like the tank.
    Yes.

Mancolt #6 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 17:14

Private

• Players
  • 360 battles
Wow, thank you all so much for the very fast, incredibly helpful responses!!  I wish I would have asked some of these questions much sooner.

DokterBeefcake #7 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 17:34

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 15136 battles
Equipment
  • Can the optional equipment (that costs 500k credits) like enhanced gun laying drive, coated optics, etc be transferred from tank to tank?  Or is it specific to the tank on which it is initially purchased?  Camo net, toolbox, and binoculars can be.  Currently all other add-ons are not transferrable
  • At what point (tier) do you start to purchase optional equipment for tanks? When you have too many credits.  In CBT I was dropping vert. stabs. on tier 8s because I had more credits than I knew what to do with.

Crew
  • How much of a benefit does increased training/skill provide? More than modules.  However, same thing as equipment - spend credits on it when you can afford it.  Early tiers you'll be out of tanks before it pays itself off.
  • At what point do you start trying to max your crew's skill? I don't.  When I unlock a newer vehicle I'm gone.
  • What skills are the most useful for crew members? Repair is paramount for heavies and mediums.  Camo for TDs.  A crewman or two with fire will save your bacon on a bad day.
  • Are you able to transfer crew members from one tank to another?  You can put a crew in another tank without retraining them.  Some of their training is still active - mouse over them to see their 'actual' benefit.  They will only ever contribute 100% to their currently trained tank though, and once you retrain them yes they will lose their old primary training (but keep all secondary skills).

Tactics/General Gameplay
  • How does the range at which you're able to detect an enemy tank change?  Yes.  A hull down (only turret is in line of sight) tank is a lot harder to detect than one that isn't.  However there is a certain range where you will detect enemies no matter what - you'll notice this in cities where suddenly you're revealing tanks behind buildings.  This is where if you're in a situation where you know you can't retreat it's best to just blindly charge.  You might detect something for your team to shoot back at.
  • Is there anyway to shoot more accurately on the move? Better gunner, more accurate gun.  Move slowly using R and F keys.  Late tiers you can use vertical stabilizers, but they're very expensive.
  • How do you hit a tank on the move? It's about muzzle velocity.  Most guns and ranges you can aim for the front track wheel and hit.  Some, such as the Soviet 152mm "derp" guns, you have to lead by a lot to hit a fast tank at long range.
  • If a tank is not "visible" but you know it's there, is it possible to deal damage? One out of ten of my kills is a blind shot on a tank that was never detected at all for the whole match.  Invisibility is not invulnerability and tracers work both ways.  This is also the idea behind "counter battery" where one arty looks for the origin of enemy arty tracers and blind-shots them.

Tanks
  • Is it worth maxing out each tank when you are leveling up (getting them to elite status) or is this a waste of XP?  Yes and no.  Grabbing all the upgrades will often unlock them for other tanks.  Always unlock all the tanks you think you'll want to drive while you're there.  Feel free to skip tanks you don't want and just go up the tier to the next vehicle.
  • What function does the radio serve? Assuming everyone's in radio range, it lets everyone see what you can see and vice versa.  It's the only way to 'see' tanks beyond the 500m cap.  Good scouts capitalize on this - waiting far ahead of their heavies in a thick bush, hull down and never firing a shot.  Being seen is being dead, and a Leopard can be a cruel killer.

Thanks in advance for the help! No problem.

manasi #8 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 18:06

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4549 battles

Equipment
  • Can the optional equipment (that costs 500k credits) like enhanced gun laying drive, coated optics, etc be transferred from tank to tank?   Or is it specific to the tank on which it is initially purchased?

Crew

Tactics/General Gameplay

Tanks

Here are your answers:
Question 1: YES as long as it not "locked" the little icon on it to the tank  there is some belief and ideas that this might change so check your  patch notes, Some are locked to the tank some can be moved around, Cammo nights and binoculars can be move for example
Question 2:
Cost benefit analysis...is it more profitable to purchase said upgrade or should you wait.it is an individual choice bro

Question 3: Crew Training increase just about every facet of the game ( it is why we train our crews they get better and really DO improve the given tank.
Question 4: Personally I max crew skills on a  tank I know I will keep for a while ( otherwise it isn't worth it)
Question 5 Many prefer Repairs or FF I use repairs on my TD and cammo/ FF elsewhere
Question 6: Yes you can transfer crews around  go into their training selection area and select the next tank the benefit?  if you move them while good, they "roll back" to a smaller percentage ( if going up in tank class and NOT paying gold) so a 100%  (in a PzII when you retrain them might be 80% for the silver training and 70% for the free training ) I have always upgraded crews not downgraded them ( moved them to a higher tank not a lower one) They do lose the skill they trained to 100%  to retrain to a different skill but the skill type ( FF/Cammo/repairs) goes with them as far as I know once the number hits 100% again then the skills they initially had take effect.

Question 7: Range/finding  is a benefit of a good crew ( commander specifically IIRC) Unsure about LoS or not....
Question 8: some tanks DO shoot better when moving plus there are bought mods that help as well...I just scoot and shoot  ( BTW training your crew speeds up the aiming)
Question 9: Lead the tank in manual mode you wont hit it on the move in automatic mode.
Question 10: most certainly as Arty many times I track the tracer of a round to find hidden targets it is very possible to kill /damage a tank you cannot see.

Question 11: Maybe some tanks it is more a personal choice if your going for a heavy ask why?  if itis to survive longer... think again ...they are slow ponderous beasts for a while and losing 90% of the time because you did not research a module you KNOW will be on the tank ( tracks eng gun etc) is foolish
Question 12 Radio range is combined with those who also ahve a godo radio range i.e. my VK1602 has radio range of 800 you ahve 300 max range is there fore 1100...SPOTTING range doesn't change

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users