Jump to content


Focus on....?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

blakkmantis #1 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:22

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5347 battles
  • 573
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
Got a question about training ones crew and upgrading tanks to the next tier.  Is it best to pick a country and play mainly one, and work on a specific tank line.  Or is it a good idea to spread out my efforts over 2-3 countries?

My guess is focus on one to start with, but maybe you guys can share some other wisdom on this, to help me make up my mind which to do.  Thanks

amazingronaldo #2 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:25

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17308 battles
  • 1,438
  • [IA] IA
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011
Really depends. If you have lots of time to play then I would say pick a couple research paths to follow and work them up, like for example I am working on Russain medium path and German TD path right now, as well as dabbling in the Russian heavy line. If you can't play alot then just stick with one line all the way to the top then work on another once you cap the top of that tier.

blakkmantis #3 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:27

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5347 battles
  • 573
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View Postamazingronaldo, on Apr 19 2011 - 19:25, said:

Really depends. If you have lots of time to play then I would say pick a couple research paths to follow and work them up, like for example I am working on Russain medium path and German TD path right now, as well as dabbling in the Russian heavy line. If you can't play alot then just stick with one line all the way to the top then work on another once you cap the top of that tier.

Yeah thats sort of what I've been doing, but being new I wasn't sure too much on the tanks, and if I was taking a good path or not.  Right now I got the US T2 Medium tank and was going after the Lee eventually, and on from there.  With my luck, I've probably already made mistakes in what I'm training for, lol.

amazingronaldo #4 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:32

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17308 battles
  • 1,438
  • [IA] IA
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011
I have heard different things on which path to go or not. I found the T-54 particularly annoying to play against so want to get up to it. I got to the T-43 in beta before the wipe. The Russian heavy or American heavy appear to be popular choices for heavies. SPG I am not sure. TD is either German or Russian from what I hear. I got up to the STUG before and liked it so am back on that line and back to the Hetzer. I like my little Hetzer. :)

xGear #5 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:36

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 4478 battles
  • 1,211
  • Member since:
    07-08-2010
It's better to work on one country because alot of times tanks will share the same researches. So you will save time if you want to go in multiple lines.

amazingronaldo #6 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:37

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17308 battles
  • 1,438
  • [IA] IA
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011

View PostxGear, on Apr 19 2011 - 19:36, said:

It's better to work on one country because alot of times tanks will share the same researches. So you will save time if you want to go in multiple lines.

Yes that is true. I forgot about mentioning that. Thank you!! :)

hotbutterycopporn #7 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:38

    Captain

  • Players
  • 11126 battles
  • 1,472
  • Member since:
    04-13-2011

View Postblakkmantis, on Apr 19 2011 - 19:22, said:

Got a question about training ones crew and upgrading tanks to the next tier.  Is it best to pick a country and play mainly one, and work on a specific tank line.  Or is it a good idea to spread out my efforts over 2-3 countries?

My guess is focus on one to start with, but maybe you guys can share some other wisdom on this, to help me make up my mind which to do.  Thanks

The quickest route is obviously one nation (especially one that shares similar equipment across multiple tanks, not just 2 or 3).

But I'm playing this game for the long haul and like some variance. I have the Soviet line to the KV (huge money maker). The German line will go to the VK36 (again, huge money maker) and the US line will have the T32 and eventually the TDs. It's just a fun difference in playstyle.

That'll give me an outright brawler than can snipe (KV/107), a sniper with some speed that can brawl (VK/88) an outright hull-down sniper (T29) and snipers with incredible speed (should be US TDs).

Aliera #8 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:44

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 5 battles
  • 28
  • [MK] MK
  • Member since:
    12-27-2010
Working on one single tree has some advantage in term of synergy.  A number of parts are shared between tanks and once you unlock one, its available on all of your tanks.  For example, the 90mm M3 cannon on the M6 is used also in the T20 and T23.  Once you unlock it in the M6, you don't have to spend more xp to unlock it second time.  

The disadvantage of going down one tree is lack of variety.  Take the 90mm M3 example, you know what it can do in the M6.  It does exactly the same thing in T20, T23 and Pershing.  You wont get the german long 75 and 88, nor the russian 122.  

So take your pick what you want, variety versus synergy.

F34rmen00bz #9 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:47

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 4834 battles
  • 2,591
  • Member since:
    11-24-2010
I like trying out everything because I get more intune with a tank's strength and weaknesses and will be able to better exploit them against my enemies  :Smile-playing:

soridus76 #10 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:49

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 743 battles
  • 99
  • Member since:
    04-15-2011
It depends on the time you are willing to spend. If it is little, stick with one. If you don't mind spending a lot of time, you can do more than one tree since they are independent. Working on two trees/nations still gets you both trees, but you just have to split your time between them, so you get to where you want half as fast but you still get there.

blakkmantis #11 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 19:52

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5347 battles
  • 573
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostF34rmen00bz, on Apr 19 2011 - 19:47, said:

I like trying out everything because I get more intune with a tank's strength and weaknesses and will be able to better exploit them against my enemies  :Smile-playing:

I know somebody will come along eventually and change my opinion, but as of right now I really am impressed by the playerbase here, so helpful and friendly.  Thanks guys I really appreciate all your insight.

NargilFenris #12 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 20:32

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 16287 battles
  • 502
  • Member since:
    02-12-2011
I am running the US medium, German medium, and Russian heavy lines. I like switching between the three as it keeps the battles fresh. That and when I die in one tank I got at least two more I can instantly hop into.

RingoMcLennison #13 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 21:05

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 41133 battles
  • 5,718
  • Member since:
    11-22-2010
In my case there's not alot of time to spend, so I'm going for one at a time: Tiger 2, then Panther, then T32. After that, we'll see.

Rissien #14 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 22:55

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 11081 battles
  • 299
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010
I am running through Russian Heavies, TDs, and SPGS. German Heavies, TD's, and SPGs. As well as the American Heavies, and Mediums. Will add US TDs when they come out. I like having a variety, of course as a result it takes longer to grind them all, im up to teir 4 for Russian and German lines while I am at teir 5 for US.

NargilFenris #15 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 23:05

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 16287 battles
  • 502
  • Member since:
    02-12-2011
Now quick question are you running just one tank at a time, or one country? I would probably recommend one country but definatlty use more than one tank.

ChargerIIC #16 Posted Apr 19 2011 - 23:09

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 436 battles
  • 64
  • Member since:
    04-15-2011
Depends a lot on what you want to play. I prefer light tanks, so I've been researching out those lines (starting with soviet) for fun. The higher tier you want to aim for the more you'll have to narrow it down.

blakkmantis #17 Posted Apr 20 2011 - 01:14

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5347 battles
  • 573
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostNargilFenris, on Apr 19 2011 - 23:05, said:

Now quick question are you running just one tank at a time, or one country? I would probably recommend one country but definatlty use more than one tank.

Yes I'm currently running 3 different US tanks, with my main one being a III M2 Medium tank, with the 75mm cannon that I'm currently loving.

NargilFenris #18 Posted Apr 20 2011 - 14:40

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 16287 battles
  • 502
  • Member since:
    02-12-2011

View Postblakkmantis, on Apr 20 2011 - 01:14, said:

Yes I'm currently running 3 different US tanks, with my main one being a III M2 Medium tank, with the 75mm cannon that I'm currently loving.
Then I would stick with that. The only reason I am running 3 differnt countries is to see which works best with my play style.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users