Russian Heavy Line - Prepare to Suffer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Yasha #1 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 09:44

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2165 battles
Russian heavy tanks are almost as nice as US heavies (the US breed has near invincible turret armor). However, take it from this beta player, you're going to suffer a LOT of pain to get there.

To even start into the heavy tanks, beginning with the "I'm so slow arty can zero-in on me" KV model, you have to grind through three tiers of absolute misery. The T-26, 46 and 28 models feature absolutely terrible armor and mediocre guns with one exception. Whether you're in the top or bottom of the list in your battle, expect to get killed again and again and again. Above all, don't use that superb speed to rush forward - it just makes you an easier target. Don't travel with other friendly tanks, you'll die much faster than the Americans or Germans beside you. Your best hope is to hang back, let other people do the dieing, and take a few potshots from the rear. If the rest of your team is better than the enemy, you can be part of the victory while having enough supporting hits credit to get half-decent rewards. Otherwise you'll die fast, get no credit for contributing, and almost certainly hasten the eventual defeat of your side.

The T-28 does have a nice 85mm gun, but it costs so much in research you'll be delaying your misery in tier 4 significantly. I don't think the added misery is worth the benefit. After all, the tissue-paper armor of the T-28 makes it a death trap unless you hide in the back and just take potshots. When it comes to potshots, a decent 76mm does decent damage. As a potshooter, you'll only get off a shot here and a shot there anyway. You're getting "damaged something" credit at the end of the battle. A few extra percentage points of damage from the 85mm aren't worth all that additional misery. Ignore the 85mm and just research into a KV as soon as humanly possible.

The misery of Russian tier 2-4 is greatly, greatly prolonged if you don't have a gold account. You'll need at least one week, and if you play just a couple hours a month, you'll probably need the whole month. Yep, a month of casual playing misery just to get to a half-decent tank. Welcome to World of Constant Defeat.

Once into KVs, stick with the models that have 107mm guns. It's one of the best (although very ahistorical) mid-tier guns available. The nice thing about KVs is that they're so slow, you have a great excuse for hanging back! Some people really like the 152mm's also, but its rate of fire is very slow. This can be fatal in a heavy-vs-heavy tank battle.

When you graduate to the IS line, you start having good speed, nice guns, and increasingly good armor. Finally you're competitive against everything but hull-down American tanks. When you see one of those, go by a different route. You can't win against all that US turret armor.

Sputter #2 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 09:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 18247 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
you sure you played beta cause the russians hvys are far better than the us hvys, having good turret only helps so much when t5s can pen your hull easy, plus you have to use the same 105mm from t7-t9 which the russian hvys gain better guns and bouncy armor. The is4's turret has better armor than the american hvys

csp40 #3 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 10:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4597 battles
  • [DID] DID
It really depends on your playstyle. I found the T-26 and T-46 absolutely dreadful too, but I loved the T-28. The KV-2-107 moreso, and I adore my KV-3-107.
Just yesterday, I saved a T29 from certain death just by driving next to it. The hits which would have ripped it apart bounced on my side armour. US heavies are only a threat if they are hull down - especially in Westfield if neither side has arty. In city and open maps, their large hull and "armour" make them squishy.

The slowness of the russian heavies (the KVs) have a unique quality to them. For their tier, their nigh-impenetrable armour allow them to steamroll over the enemy front lines. Whereas the US heavies have to poke in and out, and the germans have to rely on their meds and lights so they can snipe.

And here I am. Closing in on the IS without spending a dollar.

hazywater #4 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 10:11

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2663 battles
the low tier russian grind is exactly the same as all the others until tier 4, then its better than the USA tank (M3 Lee).

Graf_Zeppelin #5 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 10:50

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The T-28 is not that bad. Its a glass canon, one plays it like a Tiger I guess o.O

Signal #6 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 12:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3336 battles
The grind wasn't as painful for me as I thought it would be. If nothing else, getting past the T-26 and T-46 is relatively quick, especially if you've got a premium account. The T-28 is ugly, but I found it surprisingly quick and agile despite its size, and you are able to mount an effective gun on it which makes grinding through that much, much more tolerable and even fun. Your first genuine heavy, the KV, does indeed start off not very impressive but once you finally earn one of the two most popular guns to mount on it (the 152mm or the 107mm), the KV becomes a keeper just for those guns alone.  :)

RommelMcDonald #7 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 12:10

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2 battles

View PostYasha, on Apr 21 2011 - 09:44, said:

you have to grind through three tiers of absolute misery.

The T-28 does have a nice 85mm gun, but it costs so much in research you'll be delaying your misery in tier 4 significantly.

I can tell you the T-28 with the 57mm SiS is BETTER than the T-34 Medium. Soo much faster, same weapon and great power to tier ratio. I must admit though, the T-28 looks like a patchwork pile of garbage.

Mabuchi #8 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 12:29

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 10116 battles
The only 2-4 tiers that are really fun to play in my opinion is the American light to medium, and the russian light to medium. Those tanks are fast little buggars. I am holding off on them for now just so i can start my grind in the KV, which, in my opinion is one fun tank. Give it a little better fuel and with crew experience your 'lack' of speed will be hardly noticeable. The 107mm is a very solid armament, and its got the most ridiculous looking arty to research so all in all its a great heavy to play in. The T-28 was not to painful at all, i played in the middle of the pack with the 85mm and did very well scoring at least 2:1 kill ratio and i seldom camped behind all my buddies.

Clockworkred #9 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 12:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21548 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS
I used to severely dislike my T-28, but now that I've gotten a decent gun, engine, tracks, and turret, it's not SO bad. I learned not only how to snipe with it, but also to hit and fade behind buildings and cover, baiting enemies into my allies' gunsights. It's still not my preferred style, but at least it's workable now.

Wrath_From_Above #10 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 12:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

Russian heavy tanks are almost as nice as US heavies (the US breed has near invincible turret armor). However, take it from this beta player, you're going to suffer a LOT of pain to get there.

First....Absolutely not true. The Russian heavy line is the best in the game, as well as mediums and TD's......not sure what Beta you were playing.

Heck, if the Maus had a better gun then you could arguably put the Maus #2 behind the IS-7.

#1 - IS-7
#2 - T30
#3 - Maus

Second.... The grind to get a tier 10 American heavy is 100x worse than the Russian grind. You have to suffer using the T1, M6, T32, and T34 plus you need more EXP to open the next tank. The Russian tree uses less EXP to open the next tier higher.

Ricox #11 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 14:04

Major

• Players
  • 3801 battles
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
It depends on the player actually. I personally liked the T-28 when I played in beta, it was an average tank that when properly upgraded could perform pretty well and the reward for playing it was nice - the KV, but grinding A-20 (soviet medium tank tree) was much more painful to me, personally.

Subbota #12 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 15:16

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3504 battles
With premium it only took 6 battles in the T26 to get to the T46, then another 15 to get to the T28.  I forget how long it took to unlock the KV, but I still play the T28 with the 57mm gun and have a lot of fun with it.

I don't consider those 3 tanks a grind at all, and I'm not a particularly skillful player.

Dirg #13 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 15:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26328 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I have to agree with everyone else I tried all 3 heavy lines in beta and the Russian line is amazing. The T-26 and T-46 aren't bad and take no time to go through. The T-28 is simply amazing if played as a support/sniper tank. It is not a front line tank but used properly dominates. The KV vanilla is ok, the Derp gun amazingly fun when used properly as a front line fighter and the 107mm is frankly OP. Life dips a little on the KV-3 but picks up with advancement and the IS line is pure joy.

I donno what game you were playing my friend but it apparently isn't the same as mine. All I know is when queing my T-28(I kept because its so awesome) and my KV, invariably team chat fills with glowing comments and "LoL's" as my dead teammates observe me dominate the opposition.

Zanity #14 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 21:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 4818 battles

To even start into the heavy tanks, beginning with the "I'm so slow arty can zero-in on me" KV model, you have to grind through three tiers of absolute misery. The T-26, 46 and 28 models feature absolutely terrible armor and mediocre guns with one exception. Whether you're in the top or bottom of the list in your battle, expect to get killed again and again and again. Above all, don't use that superb speed to rush forward - it just makes you an easier target. Don't travel with other friendly tanks, you'll die much faster than the Americans or Germans beside you. Your best hope is to hang back, let other people do the dieing, and take a few potshots from the rear. If the rest of your team is better than the enemy, you can be part of the victory while having enough supporting hits credit to get half-decent rewards. Otherwise you'll die fast, get no credit for contributing, and almost certainly hasten the eventual defeat of your side.

The T-28 does have a nice 85mm gun, but it costs so much in research you'll be delaying your misery in tier 4 significantly. I don't think the added misery is worth the benefit. After all, the tissue-paper armor of the T-28 makes it a death trap unless you hide in the back and just take potshots. When it comes to potshots, a decent 76mm does decent damage. As a potshooter, you'll only get off a shot here and a shot there anyway. You're getting "damaged something" credit at the end of the battle. A few extra percentage points of damage from the 85mm aren't worth all that additional misery. Ignore the 85mm and just research into a KV as soon as humanly possible.

The misery of Russian tier 2-4 is greatly, greatly prolonged if you don't have a gold account. You'll need at least one week, and if you play just a couple hours a month, you'll probably need the whole month. Yep, a month of casual playing misery just to get to a half-decent tank. Welcome to World of Constant Defeat.

Once into KVs, stick with the models that have 107mm guns. It's one of the best (although very ahistorical) mid-tier guns available. The nice thing about KVs is that they're so slow, you have a great excuse for hanging back! Some people really like the 152mm's also, but its rate of fire is very slow. This can be fatal in a heavy-vs-heavy tank battle.

When you graduate to the IS line, you start having good speed, nice guns, and increasingly good armor. Finally you're competitive against everything but hull-down American tanks. When you see one of those, go by a different route. You can't win against all that US turret armor.

I have one word for you: LIES

RingoMcLennison #15 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 22:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41133 battles
A russian heavy user complaining about his tanks... that's new.

paradat #16 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 22:51

Major

• Players
  • 34879 battles
  • [TBW] TBW
I agree somewhat about the grind. Allthough I think I am finaly making friends with my T28. The thing i like about the Russian Tech tree is that it is a strait shot down the heavy line or a strait shot down the medium line. So if you really hate the grind at tier 4 at least you are not there for very long.

The American line for heavy and medium go thru the M3 Lee, which is a real challenge and I will spend twice as long grinding thru the M3 then I will the T-28 if I want the Sherman and the T1.

Ricox #17 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 10:58

Major

• Players
  • 3801 battles
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX

View Postparadat, on Apr 21 2011 - 22:51, said:

I agree somewhat about the grind. Allthough I think I am finaly making friends with my T28. The thing i like about the Russian Tech tree is that it is a strait shot down the heavy line or a strait shot down the medium line. So if you really hate the grind at tier 4 at least you are not there for very long.

The American line for heavy and medium go thru the M3 Lee, which is a real challenge and I will spend twice as long grinding thru the M3 then I will the T-28 if I want the Sherman and the T1.

Well the fact is that you need to grind in every single tech tree, the OP is just claiming that this particular grind from T-26 to KV is very painful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users