Deciding on my first T3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

thebeetle #1 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 12:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 9865 battles
I almost have enough banked for a T3. I've got the T26, BT2, Bison and AT-1.
I like the TD playstyle, sneak up and land big hits from afar, however I'm not sure how well I'd immediately do with the SU-76.

About how much can I expect to make on average in a T3 game?
My initial thought was that if it's a decent amount - like will dramatically increase  the farm time of my next T3 tank - I should get an arty and use it to farm up.
But if it will still be rather slow I'd rather just get the tank I really want and progress on from there.

Also I was wondering how Russian TD compares to German. I like the German ones for the looks but Russians have the bigger gun. It looks like they have less penetration though, how does this play out?

Ricox #2 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 14:01

Major

• Players
  • 3801 battles
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
Germans have more accurate TDs with sort of sloped armor (making them harder targets), while Soviet TDs have enermous firepower, but they seem to be weak due to armor (not sure about this one, thought, some Soviet TDs look to have good armor). If I also remember correctly, then German TDs have better rate of fire. But to just make sure, check the World of Tanks wikipedia at http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page

Very detailed information there, even some tips on how to play specific tanks etc. ;)

TargetDrone1957 #3 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 14:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3267 battles

View Postthebeetle, on Apr 21 2011 - 12:22, said:

I like the TD playstyle, sneak up and land big hits from afar

For me I love the German TD line...but, be forewarned,  the mid-tier Hetz and the Stug are brawlers, not snipers, and should be played for ambush around bends.   The 105 that both pack require HE to maximize effectiveness, but are short barrelled, therefore unsuitable for "Long Range" sniping.   Until your loader gets experience, and you can afford a rammer, the ROF is gonna be pretty slow, too.  The plus for both of these, though, is you can blot out all but Heavies, that are three tiers or more higher, with ease.

One other note...in almost all other TDs you are gonna want the camo net, rammer, and BINOCS equipped...the Hetz and Stug, I would recommend camo net, rammer, and SPALL LINER, as you are gonna be best at knife fighting range, and getting rammed is a real possibility, longer range spotting isn't gonna be as much help.

Deusmortis #4 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 16:25

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 22603 battles
Generally speaking, the German TD's are more accurate and better armored, though you don't really see that armor till you get to tiers 8 and 9.  The Russian TD's do more damage per shot, and can hide better.  Penetration on both lines is usually good enough, especially if you aim well.  Unless you like shooting at the front plates of Tier 10's.  

Personally, I loved my Ferdinand and Jagdtiger, and will be getting both of them again.  I'll probably try the American line as well, whenever we get it.

MadBadger #5 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 17:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23033 battles
  • [-EV-] -EV-

View Postthebeetle, on Apr 21 2011 - 12:22, said:

I almost have enough banked for a T3. I've got the T26, BT2, Bison and AT-1.
I like the TD playstyle, sneak up and land big hits from afar, however I'm not sure how well I'd immediately do with the SU-76.

At Tier 3, I found the standout tanks to be Marder II (German TD), esp. once you upgrade to the big guns; the Su-26 (Russian arty) which is widely considered to be one of the best arties (for its tier) in the game; and the M3 Stuart (US Light tank) for tanks. Good speed, radio, view range and a decent gun with not-bad armor for its tier make this a very versatile tank.

If you like the TD style, it is hard to go wrong with the Marder. I find I get the most kills and credits in the SU-26, but I am fairly decent at arty so it's not for everyone. And the M3 Stu is the most exciting, as I almost never stop moving, turning and blasting at things while in it. In fact, stopping anywhere in your M3 is a good way to lose it, so you need to be pretty active with it.

Hope that helps,

:angry: Badger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users