I want to try out tank destroyer...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Arcaneex #1 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 13:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well sums up that i like the TD much more than arty somewhy.
I have some questions...
1) Should i play with russian TD's or german TD's?
2) Should i skip any TD while going up the TD tree?
3) Will i 1 hit?

Wrath_From_Above #2 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I never played a TD but I know the Object 704 and ISU-152 are beasts along with the Ferdi and Jag. Those 4 TD's are the only ones I'm really nervous about when playing.

The 152 and 704 can 1 hit a lot of tanks......not sure about the Ferdi and Jag.

jerichotrumpet #3 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 14:33

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostArcaneex, on Apr 21 2011 - 13:42, said:

I have some questions...
3) Will i 1 hit?

I played both lines. German to the ferdi and russian to the su-152. I much preferred the german, especially once you reach the StuG and jagdpanther. The german TD's were quicker and more accurate and with the 105mm and a rammer can do a lot of damage, though not always 1 shot kills. I found the ferdi to be too weak and slow for its tier and many of the enemy tanks it faced dealt with it easily so I sold it and turned to the russian TD's. I tried the russian towards the end of the beta and hated all of them up to su-152 which was tough and the 152mm was great fun with loads of 1 shot kills. Now i'm grinding up the german TD again.

GearaDoga #4 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 14:44

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH

I have some questions...
3) Will i 1 hit?

Either route is alright - TD's are probably the best balanced part of the game.  Russian models tend to have a bigger, more powerful, less accurate gun.  The German models are a bit fragile, but mount pinpoint accurate long guns with good penetration values.  I prefer German, myself.

Germany's Marder II is often regarded as one of the finest tanks at its level - fairly nimble, lethally powerful with its long barreled 76mm, and with a HUGE range of motion in the gun letting it engage moving targets much better than anything else in either TD tree. Most TD's can move their guns around 45 degrees, stop to stop, without moving the hull and wrecking their camo.  Marder can move its gun almost 90 degrees, a massive improvement.

The big divergence happens from tier 4 to tier 6 - Russian TD's are basically the same design, just progressively bigger, tougher and meaner.  German TD's go a different route with small, tough, low-profile killers like the Hetzer, Stug III and JagdPanzer IV.

Herr_Klug #5 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 14:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43317 battles
Most can be a pain until you unlock everything .... so it's a matter of preference. I went up to JagdTiger and plan on at least going back to JagdPanther or possibly Ferdi again. I had a round with 5 one shots with the Ferdi so it is possible depending on matchmaking. However, the Russian TDs can be real nasty with the bigger guns.

Deusmortis #6 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 16:32

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 22603 battles
1.  I prefer the German tree, but the Russian line is great as well.

2.  The Hetzer used to be a terrible vehicle that most would skip, but after the matchmaker was altered to keep it in lighter matches, it has become quite nice.  So no, I wouldn't skip anything.

3.  Depends on what you have.  You're not going to 1 shot anything heavier than a tier 2 until you get some of the good later guns.  The 128 on the Ferdi/JT, as well as the JT's upgraded 128, will pop most of the mid to low tiers in 1-2 shots.  Of course, you always have the lucky ammo rack hit.  My Ferdi once drilled a T30 through the rack and brought him from 89% to 0% :)

Dirg #7 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 16:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26328 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I played the Russian TD's in Beta to the SU-152 and German to the Ferdi. I honestly did not enjoy the Russians at all. Felt very much like a grind. The German line seemed more fun but many of them, even elited felt undergunned. I opted out this time around. Just my experience others will vary.

ARGO #8 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 16:59

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10209 battles

I have some questions...
3) Will i 1 hit?

Don't be afraid to try everything and always take advice with a grain of salt because certain tanks work better for certain fighting styles.  When I started playing WoT almost a year ago I hated TDs because I could not seem to get the hang of them but later on after I got some skills in heavies and arty I gave them a second chance and guess what?  Now TDs are my bread and butter!  Anyway I can say if you want to get into TDs, Either German or Russian are equally good and real fun once you master them.  My personal Favorites are as follows:

Marder, Hetzer, StugIII, SU-85, SU-100, ISU-152

kaegogi #9 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 17:56

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8574 battles
Like most said, both lines are great. I played to JTiger and ISU-152 in Beta and loved both lines except for the Hetzer (never really enjoyed it, even when elited). The Ferd was definitely my favorite with the SU-85B and the Marder as close seconds. The BL-10 on the ISU is an amazingly devestating gun but I found rapid fire, good damage guns even more fun.

My personal recommendation is go German line until you've played Stug a bit and then try Russian to the SU-85. After that decide which tree you enjoy more as things don't change that much until the tier 8 TD.

NavyCuda #10 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 18:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16992 battles
  • [CGN] CGN
I've only played the German tree and love it. My fav is the Ferdi... I just love having enemy tanks back up as soon as I show up. It also takes quite a beating (steel wall is an easy achievement in Ferdi) and delivers quite the punch with the 12.8cm.

The StugIII and Hetzer are also fun. StugIII lives a little longer than Hetzer on average. I get a lot of one shot, one kill rounds in Stug with the 10.5cm.

I wasn't a big fan of the Jagdpanther in beta because imo it blew up way too quickly and easily compared to the Jagdpanzer IV which was also a great TD. I was pretty damn happy once I got to sell the Jpanther though.

Didn't get to try the Jagdtiger so I can only say so far Ferdi is the best TD. It can kill IS7's in a few shots and even the Object 704 wasn't such a big deal anymore driving this thing around.

solipsistnation #11 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 18:47

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8884 battles
  • [DCVI] DCVI
Yeah, what other people say is right-- it will depend on your preferred play style. Personally I love the fast mid-tier German TDs (as may be obvious by now...).

A good low-end TD for 1-hit kills is the Hetzer with the 105mm gun and HE ammo. It'll 1-shot pretty much anything below its tier and some things at the same level. (And vehicles a few tiers higher will know they've been hit.)

The Russian AT-1 with the top-tier gun can also dominate low-tier battles.

I'd suggest you try out the Marder and AT-1 and see what you think of each of them. They're a pretty good example of each line's TDs, at a low enough tier that they aren't crazy expensive to buy or drive. Remember that they won't be very good with just the base equipment, either...

The Russian line gets pretty sad for a while (SU-85b, not my favorite TD) but recovers-- an upgraded SU-100 can 1-shot a Panzer IV at long range, which is pretty badass. You do have to settle for being unbearably slow, though. German TDs are faster, but have somewhat lighter guns.

My idea long-range sniper TDs are the StuG with the long 75mm gun and the JagdPanther with the top-end 105mm gun. If you like sniping, it's worth buying binoculars and moving it between vehicles. If you like sneaking up and derping, go for the camo net. (Which is a good idea anyway...) The StuG is fast enough to drive up, shoot, and hide, too. I just unlocked the long 75mm on mine and I suspect I'll be playing it and the Hetzer pretty much constantly from now on.

Either way you go, make sure you understand TD tactics or you'll get your ass handed to you by lights.

Quinn #12 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 21:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 1358 battles

I have some questions...
3) Will i 1 hit?

1) Apples and Oranges. Soviet Tank Destroyers have lower profiles, are faster (sometimes much faster) and can hide better, making them better ambushers, flankers or snipers. On the other hand, German TD's tend to have better frontal armor and a more accurate gun, making them more suited to the assault gun style, yet still being excellent in the sniper role.

2) In the Soviet line skip Tiers 3 and 4 if possible. The lower-end German TD line is pretty good.

3) Hell yes!

kaegogi #13 Posted Apr 21 2011 - 21:28

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8574 battles

You do have to settle for being unbearably slow, though. German TDs are faster, b

Don't have access to the stats atm but I don't recall that being true. Russian TDs are by no means "slow". There are some outstanding examples of very agile TD in the German line but top speed wise, I think Russian TDs outperform their German counterparts everywhere except maybe tier5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users