Official Mac Wrapper Feedback Thread

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

___Jeffrey___ #1181 Posted Aug 21 2019 - 16:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 35098 battles

More from CodeWeaver Support: (we've pretty much narrowed it down to this theory: the MacOS driver for the iMac19,1 and later hardware, Radeon Pro 580X, only fully supports 64-bit in the rendering engine, because MacOS will soon support only 64-bit. We, including CodeWeaver, are now waiting for the 64-bit WoT)

Jeffrey,

To answer your question as to why WOT is still 32 -bit, is that wargaming generally provides us with a 64-bit Windows version for us to build a wrapper for it. To be honest i do not know the details where the process is at. With Apple moving to only support 64-bit, it's just a matter of time as to when a 64-bit  WOT is available. I wish i had a more immediate solution for you.

Regards,
CodeWeavers Support.

black_colt #1182 Posted Aug 21 2019 - 18:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 4233 battles

View Post___Jeffrey___, on Aug 21 2019 - 07:27, said:

More from CodeWeaver Support: (we've pretty much narrowed it down to this theory: the MacOS driver for the iMac19,1 and later hardware, Radeon Pro 580X, only fully supports 64-bit in the rendering engine, because MacOS will soon support only 64-bit. We, including CodeWeaver, are now waiting for the 64-bit WoT)

Jeffrey,

To answer your question as to why WOT is still 32 -bit, is that wargaming generally provides us with a 64-bit Windows version for us to build a wrapper for it. To be honest i do not know the details where the process is at. With Apple moving to only support 64-bit, it's just a matter of time as to when a 64-bit  WOT is available. I wish i had a more immediate solution for you.

Regards,
CodeWeavers Support.

Please respond with updates in the recently created thread - iMac19,1 - Issues versus this general thread as this issue is specific to the iMac19,1.

___Jeffrey___ #1183 Posted Aug 21 2019 - 19:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 35098 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Aug 21 2019 - 18:54, said:

Please respond with updates in the recently created thread - iMac19,1 - Issues versus this general thread as this issue is specific to the iMac19,1.

There's nothing more to post. The issue is closed. I am creating a ticket with WoT Support to see if they can expedite getting a 64-bit image over to CodeWeaver. I will keep the forum updated…

___Jeffrey___ #1184 Posted Aug 21 2019 - 21:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 35098 battles

WG Support responds:

"Hi ___Jeffrey___, 

Thank you for contacting Wargaming Support. 

I see that you want us to get a 64-bit World of Tanks image to CodeWeavers. Rest assured we will help you on this. 

We appreciate the suggestion you've given to us and our developers will surely be glad to hear about this. This will help us continue to improve the game and look for new concepts that will make the game more exciting. 

Most of the updates we have in the game came from our players and we always look forward to new suggestions, ideas and feedback. Your suggestion will help your fellow players in making the game more competitive and fun at the same time. We have now forwarded this to our developers and we suggest that you wait for any updates or announcements in the game by visiting our website. 

We hope this clear things out. If you have other questions, do not hesitate to contact us again or visit our FAQ page as you may find answers to your questions immediately. 

Seize the day, Commander!" 

Edited by ___Jeffrey___, Aug 21 2019 - 21:12.

___Jeffrey___ #1185 Posted Aug 21 2019 - 21:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 35098 battles

Hi, all!

Okay, I've succeeded in completely confusing myself, resulting in a crash course of how these Windows wrappers/VMs are supposed to work, resulting in questions I can't answer. Here's a copy of the response I just sent to CodeWeavers Support. If anyone here knows how this works, please chime in as the more information we can supply the better our Support will be:

Hi, Ryan!

I have a couple of questions and I'm not sure that it's something you can even answer, but it occurred to me that you mentioned WoWS was now 64-bit. Then it occurred to me that I'm only downloading the GameCenter from the links you provided. Then it occurred to me that if GameCenter is then responsible for installing WoWS, then Wargaming.net Game Center (in the CodeWeavers wrapper) must be 64-bit. So I went into my System Report and sure enough it is:

Wargaming.net Game Center:

Version:    3.1.11

Obtained from:    Identified Developer

Last Modified:    8/16/19, 9:56 AM

Kind:    Intel

64-Bit (Intel):    Yes

Signed by:    Developer ID Application: WARGAMING Group Limited (9KMD79CS7L), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Get Info String:    3.1.11, Copyright © 2017 CodeWeavers, Inc.

So now I'm certain that I'm completely confused. When we go through Game Center and install WoT, is it going and grabbing the 32-bit version of the game and installing it with Game Center under this wrapper and that's where our conflict is coming from? As opposed to Game Center grabbing and installing the 64-bit version of WoWS? Because it seems that Game Center when it's communicating with WG knows it's 64-bit (as it reports), so it should be telling WG to install the 64-bit version of any game it's requesting? Or, conversely, it's downloading and installing to an ancillary wrapper for the game (since Game Center doesn't actually run the game itself, so it launches a new instance of the wrapper that you provide that's game-specific)? 

Any insight would be infinitely appreciated!

Thank you!

___Jeffrey___ #1186 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 00:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 35098 battles

CodeWeavers responds:

Jeffrey,

You are correct in that WGC is grabbing a 32-bit version of WOT because there is not a 64-bit available. Although WGC is indeed 64-bit, WOT will still run as a 32-bit where the memory issues are apparent. If you refer to the attachment, WOW's has the option to run 32-bit and 64-bit which the users can choose. Unfortunately, this is not the same for WOT as of yet.

Regards,
CodeWeavers Support.

So there we have it…

Howitzer_Hammer #1187 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 12:28

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Can anyone help me with a situation that I have come across with macOS.

When I download World of tanks and open it, it says game center can not be found so re-install. So I go ahead and try to re-install it but I can't because it is a .exe file can anyone help ? 

AceofBlackDirt #1188 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 14:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7150 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostHowitzer_Hammer, on Aug 25 2019 - 06:28, said:

When I download World of tanks and open it, it says game center can not be found so re-install. So I go ahead and try to re-install it but I can't because it is a .exe file can anyone help ? 

No offense here. You need to "run " the .exe file to complete the re install.

Am I missing something here?

black_colt #1189 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 15:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 4233 battles

View PostHowitzer_Hammer, on Aug 25 2019 - 03:28, said:

You cannot run .exe files natively on macOS - not sure why you are being asked to run an .exe file.

If you have WG Game Center then you can install the game through Game Center.  If not, then you probably have an corrupted installation.

Remove game using the following script from CodeWeavers - https://www.codeweav...uninstaller.zip - the access code is 'oem' on the download page.  

MAKE SURE you have saved any replays.

Extract the zip file, hold down the [control], right-mouse click, and click on [Open] in the dialog box to run the script.

After the script completes - install the game through Game Center through one of the following links:

http://redirect.warg..._Install_NA.dmg
http://redirect.warg..._Install_EU.dmg
http://redirect.warg..._Install_RU.dmg

If you experience issues - please reach out to CodeWeavers directly through the following link - https://www.codeweavers.com/about/contact-us#support

Type [Wargaming Game Center - WoT] in [What Application Are You Using?]

black_colt #1190 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 16:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 4233 battles

View Post___Jeffrey___, on Aug 21 2019 - 12:56, said:

Hi, all!

Okay, I've succeeded in completely confusing myself, resulting in a crash course of how these Windows wrappers/VMs are supposed to work, resulting in questions I can't answer. Here's a copy of the response I just sent to CodeWeavers Support. If anyone here knows how this works, please chime in as the more information we can supply the better our Support will be:

Hi, Ryan!

I have a couple of questions and I'm not sure that it's something you can even answer, but it occurred to me that you mentioned WoWS was now 64-bit. Then it occurred to me that I'm only downloading the GameCenter from the links you provided. Then it occurred to me that if GameCenter is then responsible for installing WoWS, then Wargaming.net Game Center (in the CodeWeavers wrapper) must be 64-bit. So I went into my System Report and sure enough it is:

Wargaming.net Game Center:

Version:    3.1.11

Obtained from:    Identified Developer

Last Modified:    8/16/19, 9:56 AM

Kind:    Intel

64-Bit (Intel):    Yes

Signed by:    Developer ID Application: WARGAMING Group Limited (9KMD79CS7L), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Get Info String:    3.1.11, Copyright © 2017 CodeWeavers, Inc.

So now I'm certain that I'm completely confused. When we go through Game Center and install WoT, is it going and grabbing the 32-bit version of the game and installing it with Game Center under this wrapper and that's where our conflict is coming from? As opposed to Game Center grabbing and installing the 64-bit version of WoWS? Because it seems that Game Center when it's communicating with WG knows it's 64-bit (as it reports), so it should be telling WG to install the 64-bit version of any game it's requesting? Or, conversely, it's downloading and installing to an ancillary wrapper for the game (since Game Center doesn't actually run the game itself, so it launches a new instance of the wrapper that you provide that's game-specific)? 

Any insight would be infinitely appreciated!

Thank you!

This may help ...

From WineHQ ...

Wine [originally an acronym for [Wine Is Not an Emulator]] is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

CodeWeavers is the main corporate sponsor of Wine and employs Alexandre Julliad, who has managed Wine since 1993, and other Wine developers and produced CrossOver.  The WoT Mac Wrapper uses CrossOver with some application-specific tweaks for World of Tanks.

Perhaps the Codeweavers Team can strike a deal with Molten to bring MoltenVK to Wine.  Why?  The DXVK Project has a Vulkan-based translation layer for Direct3D 10/11 up and running. Bridging that to MoltenVK should allow for Wine to leverage the low-level API - Metal.

Linux takes advantage of DXVK to allow users to run World of Tanks at the same FPS as the native game.

The issue is that Wargaming has NOT produced a 64-bit version of World of Tanks on the MS Windows platform.

It is very unlikely that they will since this will have a probably significant user-base [those running 32-bit MS Windows] cut out of the game in an instant. Those users probably significantly out-number macOS owners.  Guess who Wargaming will chose to support?  Also an issue is the Microsoft is providing 32-bit apps a crutch [WOW64] so that users can run 32-bit apps on 64-bit MS Windows.

Until they produce a 64-bit app then the WoT Mac Wrapper WILL NOT run on macOS Catalina as this OS does not allow ANY 32-bit code to run.  Not sure how the Wine team will get around this ... but they are really smart and if anyone can do so they will.

What does this mean for individuals that upgrade to macOS Catalina?

Either run MS Windows OR Linux natively on your Apple-branded hardware [like I do since I am running macOS Catalina Public Beta] OR be unable to play the game in macOS.

Is this the fault of Apple?

No - Apple has taken the very unpopular - but logical step - to only run 64-bit code on their devices with macOS Catalina. AppleTV OS, iPad OS, iOS ONLY run 64-bit code and 64-bit apps.  Only having 64-bit apps across all of the OS[es] as well as having a small range of hardware combinations allow Apple to tweak the OS to run quickly and efficiently on all of those devices.  Having an efficient code base - yes all of the OS[es] share the same code base but use different user interfaces - will greatly benefit users.

Edited by black_colt, Aug 27 2019 - 05:23.

CHANDU_GUPTA #1191 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 15:31

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Alternatives    https://codumes.blog...atives-for.html

Edited by CHANDU_GUPTA, Aug 29 2019 - 15:31.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users