Quick Tip: Aiming Your Artillery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

pekiti #1 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 17:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles
This is a simple diagram to help you understand what is happening with your reticle when you are in 'look down' view as an artillery unit.

Posted Image
(Edited to change hosting site to imageshack)
EDIT: Added a photobucket direct link for this picture   photobucket

Scouten #2 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9681 battles
great diagram to show newbies where to aim  :D

Crazyphoenix #3 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 17:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 8079 battles
Thanks a bunch for this.

WEBEUS #4 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 17:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2747 battles
image appears to be broken

pekiti #5 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles
Hmmm...I'm not having trouble seeing it. Anyone else having trouble?

paradat #6 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:01

Major

• Players
  • 29233 battles
  • [TBW] TBW

View Postpekiti, on Apr 22 2011 - 18:00, said:

Hmmm...I'm not having trouble seeing it. Anyone else having trouble?

Yes I donot see it.

iron_mask #7 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 30 battles
it's a nice RED X for me too  ... no can see .. :Smile-hiding:

Single #8 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I see it :)
Great guide, I totally want to use a Arty....though I'm having trouble figuring out how to research anything :3

currahee1sg #9 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:09

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18751 battles
Very nice.  I have no issue seeing the image.

vespid #10 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:17

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15203 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
Nice work, but I suggest that "elongated" targeting advice is faulty. I'd rather not explain why because most readers will be shooting at me some day :-)

As a hint, you must consider the relationship of the aiming reticle to the downrange "x" on the overhead view that you diagram doesn't depict at all. In arty, the relationship of that X is just as important as  your aiming point.

pekiti #11 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles
OK I moved the image to Imageshack for hosting, so perhaps it will not give problems to folks viewing it. I can see the image just fine with photobucket or imageshack, so I dunno what's wrong.

pekiti #12 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles

View Postvespid, on Apr 22 2011 - 18:17, said:

Nice work, but I suggest that "elongated" targeting advice is faulty. I'd rather not explain why because most readers will be shooting at me some day :-)

As a hint, you must consider the relationship of the aiming reticle to the downrange "x" on the overhead view that you diagram doesn't depict at all.

This is strictly a basic guide, because many new to artillery don't understand what the elongated reticle actually means for shell path. So perhaps 'faulty' isn't the right term, rather it is a simplified or general advice.

vespid #13 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 18:58

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15203 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View Postpekiti, on Apr 22 2011 - 18:22, said:

This is strictly a basic guide, because many new to artillery don't understand what the elongated reticle actually means for shell path. So perhaps 'faulty' isn't the right term, rather it is a simplified or general advice.

Yeah, I'll grant you that. I didn't mean to be rude, I thought faulty sounded better than claiming it was "wrong" because it really isn't, it just can be fine tuned a bit.

I'm sure new arty players will appreciate your work.

Kwaji #14 Posted Apr 26 2011 - 13:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 1742 battles
+1 good beginer basics on arty.

pekiti #15 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 14:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles
Another tip:

When you fire at a target across the map, pay attention to how long it takes the shell to arrive and hit. I do a silent count in my head like "Fire...two...threeBLAM". Now you know how much delay there is to impact, and you can lead moving targets easier. Just put your reticle in front of their path, about where you think they will be in that much time. So using the example I have above, I would look at the moving tank and see how far he moves in 3 secs, and then lead him about that much before I fire. This also works when you are trying to hit a tank that keeps popping in and out from behind cover.

kirby20x6 #16 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 17:43

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2242 battles
  • [MLPWN] MLPWN
If the indicator is elongated because of the terrain (e.g. target is on a hill sloping away from you), then you should follow the given advice.  However, if the indicator is elongated due to firing at close range, then that will not work.

CryptikElementz #17 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 20:25

Private

• Players
  • 6517 battles
  • [50CAL] 50CAL
yeah image is broken for me as well

pekiti #18 Posted May 03 2011 - 14:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles

View Postkirby20x6, on Apr 28 2011 - 17:43, said:

If the indicator is elongated because of the terrain (e.g. target is on a hill sloping away from you), then you should follow the given advice.  However, if the indicator is elongated due to firing at close range, then that will not work.

1. If the reticle is elongated, it is because your shell is coming in at a flatter angle than a typical shot...it doesn't matter whether it's because of terrain, elevation or range. A flat arc is a flat arc.
2. If you are firing at close range, especially so much that the reticle is elongated more than the length of the target, you should be in direct fire mode, not the top down artillery view. Close range means you are now an improvised antitank gun, not an artillery piece.

(In close range/direct fire mode, especially with soviet artillery, you should aim low, right above the bottom of the target's red silhouette, because your shell will usually arc over the target if you aim center of mass.)

Viper69 #19 Posted May 04 2011 - 15:06

Major

• Players
  • 5522 battles
I have not used artillery yet,however. How do you target something out of your LOS? Is their a top down view or something similar?

sampak #20 Posted May 04 2011 - 17:31

Captain

• Players
  • 9114 battles

View PostViper69, on May 04 2011 - 15:06, said:

I have not used artillery yet,however. How do you target something out of your LOS? Is their a top down view or something similar?

Yes it is a top down view when you press the "SHIFT" key, instead of a zoom view like a TD or tank. And yes that is how you aim, like the dude just showed you in the diagram above, from the top view. ;) Also, if you are in the standard 3rd person view, and you can aim your mouse at a target and it gets the red border hi-light, right-click on him to auto aim like you do with a tank. If the enemy is not moving, your turret can auto aim and smack him right upside the head. I got 3-4 kills like this, 2 back to back in a game when defending myself from a couple of light tanks at < 50 meters. It was almost too easy! However had one of them flanked me, I'd be screwed.

BTW I just for kicks picked up the T57 US arty last night while playing with a clan platoon.  My advice I'm giving is from observing other arty trying to kill my tank, and my 2 hours of playtime with the T57 (not the most dangerous or damaging arty if you're Tier 3+ or a fast mover).

Man it's HARD to get accurate shots with arty, but of course I knew that already and never whined when my team's arty is unable to insta-gib a target I wished upon.

The target reticle "aim time" take what feels like eternity to close in, so sometimes I'm tempted to fire off a "scare" shot at the target in hopes of disrupting his "activities."  Once I fire, unlike the near 0.5 second travel time for my tank shells, it takes up to 2 seconds for my T57's rounds to arrive on target. It takes upwards of 5 seconds to reload the damn cannon, which also seems like eternity when you are trying to help your team mates kill off a stubborn medium or fast mover inbound.

Often the target is moving much too fast, or unpredictable (from a top down point of view, the poor sucker you're about to nuke can move not just left and right, but up and down as well!) and leading the shots still is not enough or even possible in some cases. In that situation, I'll just fire off a round again, to scare the target into doing something more predictable, or maybe even working with my team mate on the ground to help one of us get a better kill shot at him.

Often the enemy will wise up after I miss, and hide behind cover = my arty can't touch him. I had one game where this happened, and our light tank was playing hide and seek along with my target from behind a rock. I asked the light tank teammate to try and flush the enemy tank out from behind the rock. I shot behind and in front the tank and rock where I could aim close, and with a little coaxing from my team mate, the enemy got out from behind the rock just enough for me to land a kill shot on the turret.

I have not had someone yell at me so far with "ZOMG ARTY YOU SUXORZ BECUZ YOU DIDN'T KILL TEH ENEMYZ" since I miss often, but after a few games my aim got better, and I racked up 3-6 kills. It is definitely a different experience (top down view is awesomely fun!) and you have your own challenges to deal with (enemy hiding behind cover, bum rushing YOU to take the sting out from their side, etc.).

With a basic Tier 2 arty costing 15-$16k credits and cheap research upgrades (only tracks and engines I think) I think EVERYONE should give it a try at some point if just to get a good understanding of how arty works, and how to work together and help your long range friends land the kills, and eventually WIN.