Greetings, and a radio question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

TELEFORCE #1 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 20:03

Captain

• Players
  • 15898 battles
Hi all, I found this game yesterday.  I've been looking for something like this for awhile, and it's addictive and fun :)  I find I do my best driving around a T57 SPG.  Hoping to get a high-tier German TD and an American heavy tank sometime.

Anyways I've done some forum searching and looked in the wiki, but I'm not exactly clear on what the radio does for a tank.  Is it for spotting purposes, so that tanks can communicate to each other as to what they see?  How does it work with view distance?

Thanks!

LostWLd #2 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 20:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 9648 battles
http://wiki.worldoft...d_View_Range.29

That should explain it.

Lert #3 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 20:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles
Having a radio doesn't affect your spotting distance, or your view distance. Having a radio just means that your tank crew will report tanks you spot further to friendly tanks. And, vice versa, if they have a better radio, they're going to report to you the tanks they find. This is an automatic process.

As SPG, you need a very good radio, because you're going to be as far from the front lines as you can be. If your team is outside your radio range, you won't see what they see.

DianaTheHuntress #4 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 20:11

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 20926 battles
You got it!
Whenever your teammate(s) detect an enemy their radio operator send a broadcast to the team.  The red dots appear on the map as long as the target is in sight.  The longer range of the radio is helpful, but it does cause you to be placed in higher tier matchups.  For arty, the best radio you can afford is crucial so you can get the locations of enemy and send a shot out on the badguys!
In other vehicles a good radio will allow you to see farther than your viewrange.....
Took me awhile to figure out how I was being spotted and shot from 600+ meters away until I saw an enemy tank at 680m, who I promptly murdered with my Tiger's 88  :)

Best of luck to you!

DianaTheHuntress #5 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 20:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 20926 battles

View PostLert, on Apr 22 2011 - 20:07, said:

Having a radio doesn't affect your spotting distance, or your view distance. Having a radio just means that your tank crew will report tanks you spot further to friendly tanks. And, vice versa, if they have a better radio, they're going to report to you the tanks they find. This is an automatic process.

As SPG, you need a very good radio, because you're going to be as far from the front lines as you can be. If your team is outside your radio range, you won't see what they see.
You might want to reconsider your supposition dear.

Lert #6 Posted Apr 22 2011 - 21:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles

View PostSkyCop, on Apr 22 2011 - 20:18, said:

You might want to reconsider your supposition dear.
The radio does not affect how far you can see an enemy tank, IE, viewdistance. In your example, the enemy tank was spotted by a teammate somewhere in between you and him, and his location was broadcasted back to you by radio. Without the other tank spotting, you wouldn't have been able to see that distant target, because he's outside your own spotting range.

TELEFORCE #7 Posted Apr 23 2011 - 05:31

Captain

• Players
  • 15898 battles
Thanks for clearing that up everyone.  I guess I'll save up some money for a good radio for my T57 :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users