Jump to content


Machinima of World of Tanks


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

Dreadnought13 #21 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 03:33

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6438 battles
  • 110
  • [RXR] RXR
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011
lol, 'Toby'...  I dig it.

ok, each tank as an individual character, I can see that, too.

Camping TD (AT-1 or Panzerjager maybe):  (Sol voice) oh jeezus, oh gawd, I just know someone can see me.  What was that?  oh jeezus gawd, I'm a sitting duck out here all by myself.  WHAT WAS THAT?  *BLAM* oh, it was a tumbleweed.  oh gawd, now they know where I'm at.  should I move?  no, if I move they'll see me for sure.  This is terrible, this is all that tumbleweed's fault.
Heavy tank (voiceover): Where's that BLEEPing support?  We're getting murdered out here!  support engage the enemy!
Camping TD: Oh jeezus gawd, that sounds bad.  I think I'd better probably shoot someone soon.  *BLAM*  Oh no.
Heavy (voiceover): YOU TRACKED ME!
camping TD:  Sorry about that sir!  oh jeezus gawd, he's gonna be mad at me, I'd better protect him.  *BLAM*
Heavy (voiceover): Would you PLEASE stop shooting my tracks?



I guess if its gonna be individual characters, should it be a continuous story following a handful of tanks, or perhaps individual vignettes, unrelated but funny stories?
just brainstorming.

jdtherocker #22 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 14:33

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 14009 battles
  • 11,291
  • Member since:
    01-19-2011
(all the tanks lined up in attention)

platoon leader: men we well take the hill!
Platoon: yes sir
French tanker (me): oui Monsieur (yes sir in french)
Platoon leader: what do you say to me?
French tanker: Rien (nothing)
Platoon leader: speak english!
French tanker: mais je ne parle pas anglais (but I don't speak english)
Platoon leader: Does anyone hear speak another english
Russian tanker: DA!
Platoon leader: DA what?
russian tanker: it means yes in russian sir
Platoon leader: oh mention that before!
Platoon leader are you ready men?
russian tanker: da!
French tanker: oui
platoon: yes sir
Platoon leader: Lets roll out!

Jaigenarc #23 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 20:03

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 1528 battles
  • 522
  • Member since:
    01-26-2011

View PostSanctuary13, on Apr 29 2011 - 03:33, said:

lol, 'Toby'...  I dig it.

ok, each tank as an individual character, I can see that, too.

Camping TD (AT-1 or Panzerjager maybe):  (Sol voice) oh jeezus, oh gawd, I just know someone can see me.  What was that?  oh jeezus gawd, I'm a sitting duck out here all by myself.  WHAT WAS THAT?  *BLAM* oh, it was a tumbleweed.  oh gawd, now they know where I'm at.  should I move?  no, if I move they'll see me for sure.  This is terrible, this is all that tumbleweed's fault.
Heavy tank (voiceover): Where's that BLEEPing support?  We're getting murdered out here!  support engage the enemy!
Camping TD: Oh jeezus gawd, that sounds bad.  I think I'd better probably shoot someone soon.  *BLAM*  Oh no.
Heavy (voiceover): YOU TRACKED ME!
camping TD:  Sorry about that sir!  oh jeezus gawd, he's gonna be mad at me, I'd better protect him.  *BLAM*
Heavy (voiceover): Would you PLEASE stop shooting my tracks?



I guess if its gonna be individual characters, should it be a continuous story following a handful of tanks, or perhaps individual vignettes, unrelated but funny stories?
just brainstorming.

OMG I LOVE THE TD XD Keeping that character no matter where brainstorming goes :D Gotta name him.

davedaaznlu #24 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 01:46

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5030 battles
  • 849
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011

View PostJaigenarc, on Apr 29 2011 - 20:03, said:

OMG I LOVE THE TD XD Keeping that character no matter where brainstorming goes :D Gotta name him.

wilson and the heavy shawn  :Smile_harp:

davedaaznlu #25 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 01:47

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5030 battles
  • 849
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011
i can alsi be youe leo

jdtherocker #26 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 02:37

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 14009 battles
  • 11,291
  • Member since:
    01-19-2011
what am i going to be playing p.s. add me in game

Jaigenarc #27 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 03:34

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 1528 battles
  • 522
  • Member since:
    01-26-2011

View Postjdtherocker, on Apr 30 2011 - 02:37, said:

what am i going to be playing p.s. add me in game

Nothing's set up yet. We're just brainstorming atm :) Although, hopefully I'll have made a rough draft of the script sometime soon and will show it to you guys :)

davedaaznlu #28 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 04:08

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5030 battles
  • 849
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011
i can mainly only do acting as i do not posses ts, jsut tell me what to do and ill move my leo like that. i suggest the td be a hetzer....

:Smile_harp:  hetzers gunna hetz...  :Smile_harp:

Dreadnought13 #29 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 05:31

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6438 battles
  • 110
  • [RXR] RXR
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011
if ever there was a tank representation of a quasi-jewish paranoid new yorker, its the hetzer...  except for that whole nazi thing, but whatevs

davedaaznlu #30 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 16:40

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5030 battles
  • 849
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011
rofl

Marldain #31 Posted May 02 2011 - 08:19

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 23842 battles
  • 13
  • [D-B] D-B
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011
I would absolutely love to do this with you guys. Never done voice acting before but I do have a microphone and have been in several independent movies before. Love WoT and need something fun to top it off. Pull it off and maybe we could get some gold for being a front page show. Add me to your buddy list. And toss me a message when you see me online.

Dreadnought13 #32 Posted May 02 2011 - 09:14

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6438 battles
  • 110
  • [RXR] RXR
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011
http://forum.worldof...-cameraman-mod/

potentially useful.

What's the word on actually starting something?

Jaigenarc #33 Posted May 02 2011 - 19:42

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 1528 battles
  • 522
  • Member since:
    01-26-2011
Definitely downloading that =D :Smile_great:

As for actually starting...not this week <_< I've got AP tests and SOLs :P No chance starting this week.
However, we do need to come up with a name for the series as well as lay out some of the characters and their names :)

Kophka #34 Posted May 02 2011 - 20:02

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 10792 battles
  • 750
  • Member since:
    04-15-2011
This sounds really neat. Any way I can help, let me know. I don't have many voices, but I do have a natural East Texas accent if you need that :).

Paingod556 #35 Posted May 03 2011 - 05:42

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3496 battles
  • 175
  • Member since:
    07-25-2010
Aussie here, somewhat interested if the script is good and if you need either upper-class British twit or fair-dinkum Aussie.

And now for those of you with no experience with video making, some advice I've learnt from some machinima stuff in the past (it was all terrible, but still)

1- Have a script. Even if it's barebones and with lots of 'adlib here' it's better than 'all adlib all the time'. Keeps things on track and prevents lolrandum creep.
2- Don't record the ingame VOIP, record the voice and video separate. Easiest method, have all VA's install Audacity and set their mic to record as they're doing it. Then it just needs to be trimmed down, exported and sent to whoever's editing.
3- Make the humour come from the writing and the scenes, avoid milking it out of 'funny' voices, memes and lampshade hanging. Having a diverse vocal range in the cast is to help ID characters, pop-culture and memetic references work if done subtlety, as does lampshade hanging.

Good machinima is Clear Skies, RvB, and Dasboschitts work. 'Bad' machinima are any RvB clones, Frank and Dale (way, way too many talking scenes, example of why lampshade hanging cannot be relied upon) and my work ('half-arsed' is being generous...)

Jaigenarc #36 Posted May 03 2011 - 19:49

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 1528 battles
  • 522
  • Member since:
    01-26-2011

View PostPaingod556, on May 03 2011 - 05:42, said:

Aussie here, somewhat interested if the script is good and if you need either upper-class British twit or fair-dinkum Aussie.

And now for those of you with no experience with video making, some advice I've learnt from some machinima stuff in the past (it was all terrible, but still)

1- Have a script. Even if it's barebones and with lots of 'adlib here' it's better than 'all adlib all the time'. Keeps things on track and prevents lolrandum creep.
2- Don't record the ingame VOIP, record the voice and video separate. Easiest method, have all VA's install Audacity and set their mic to record as they're doing it. Then it just needs to be trimmed down, exported and sent to whoever's editing.
3- Make the humour come from the writing and the scenes, avoid milking it out of 'funny' voices, memes and lampshade hanging. Having a diverse vocal range in the cast is to help ID characters, pop-culture and memetic references work if done subtlety, as does lampshade hanging.

Good machinima is Clear Skies, RvB, and Dasboschitts work. 'Bad' machinima are any RvB clones, Frank and Dale (way, way too many talking scenes, example of why lampshade hanging cannot be relied upon) and my work ('half-arsed' is being generous...)

Thanks for the tips :)!

Just wondering. Why do you want to record voice and video separately? I was thinking it would be best to just have everyone pause while changing camera view and then que to start/stop lines and edit the rest out (which wouldn't be too hard :))

I definitely agree with humor coming from the writing and situation. If it isn't funny on paper, it's not going to be a whole lot funnier in video.

Dreadnought13 #37 Posted May 04 2011 - 06:03

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6438 battles
  • 110
  • [RXR] RXR
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011

View PostJaigenarc, on May 03 2011 - 19:49, said:

Thanks for the tips :)!

Just wondering. Why do you want to record voice and video separately?

for one, quality.  it would be far better to have specifically recorded audio rather than rely on the grainy, monotone tinniness of vent.  for another, nobody involved are professional puppeteers, and thats how you've got to think of machinima in a lot of ways, puppetry.  it would be best to write out all dialogue and scenes, record them as if they were radio drama, and then video record the tanks interacting in time with the dialogue, and edit individual scenes together.  for simplicity's sake it's best to record each character individually as much as possible, (how often do you see more than 3 characters in RvB? especially in the first 2 seasons)  and edit in scene transitions/focal points.  

basically, it would seem easiest to work in this manner:

basic plot outline (hammered out via skype or IM)
final script (hammered out via skype)
run through (again via skype, all actors and full script read through)
individual recording (multiple takes from which to select)
foley (sound effects)
audio editing (cutting the individual recordings into scenes that make sense, inserting sound effects, placeholder music)
practice run throughs for tank controlling (most likely practice rooms as much as possible)
some scenes may be better recorded from an outside source (different tank), some may be better recorded from the individual player.
video editing (chopping up video sequences and aligning them with the recrded audio)
visual fx (after effects, etc)
polishing (color correction, saturation, titles/credits, final music)

at least, that's how I'd run it.

Captain_Communism #38 Posted May 08 2011 - 04:34

    Private

  • Players
  • 934 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011
If you know how to put shadows of aircraft on the ground, I could be a Luftwaffe serviceman. We could use arty for the bombs. Then we would have an AIR FORCE!

Captain_Communism #39 Posted May 08 2011 - 04:36

    Private

  • Players
  • 934 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011
Also, I have a VERY bored sounding voice, so I could be...say, an intelligence officer or something behind the lines.

Captain_Communism #40 Posted May 08 2011 - 04:38

    Private

  • Players
  • 934 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011
Possible theme: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users