How to Set-up and run a tournament team. (Beginners Edition)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Moguai #1 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 13:08

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO

Hello all, I would like to share my knowledge to all upcoming tournament teams on how to run them so you can be successful and not run into issues that we have been seeing a lot of lately (Teams Bringing Wrong tank line ups)

This will be a multi-step guide starting at how and when the Register a team to what to do when its over and various things in between. This isn't meant to be the "Gods Guide" on how to do it but more of a "Idiot's Guide to WoT Tournaments" and each team will figure out what is best for their team. But mind you there are some core things that I think EVERY team should follow to avoid problems such as Rule violations and team attendance.

Things to think about before you register a team:

Tournaments are not just for clans or clan members, but being part of a clan will make easier to start and run a team in one of various WG hosted tournaments. Being part of a clan also helps with attendance as most members have a pride in representing their clan in tournaments and will tend  more reliable than a non-clan member. If you plan to do more tournaments I will list some things you should think about before starting a team.

1. If you are in a small clan look at making a Tournament Pact with another clan so you can share resources and players to fill teams. If you are a non-clan member you can also look into starting a Pact for you and your friends.

2. You really should have someone that acts as a "Tournament Coordinator" that keeps up on what tournaments are coming up, has a better understanding of the rules and regulations and just coordinates between players, teams and Pacts. This helps eliminate confusion and gives everyone a POC (Point of Contact). Also consider having a Asst. Coordinator if you are running several teams and a lot of tournaments. The Coordinator is also the one that should be Team Capt. as they are the ones that have invested extra time knowing rules etc.

3. Make sure you have a Caller. A good caller can make all the difference in being successful and failing so choose wisely. A caller should have good knowledge of most if not all tanks, they need to know their strengths and weaknesses. Also should have a good tactic sense and can multi-task as they have to fight, command the rest of the team and just think on the fly. This is one of the toughest jobs to do, so I really suggest that the caller is not the tournament coordinator.

So you got a Coord. and a caller lined up lets move on to the next section.

So you see a tournament that you are interested in:

Ask yourself the following questions.....

1. Will your caller be available?

2. Will I be able to fill the team with players? Are those players reliable?

3. Will there be any conflicts with other tournaments or clan wars in scheduling?

4. Will one of the coordinators be available each and every night that your team will have a battle? The Asst. does not have to be in the team, but at least be avail. for questions and Coordinate to make sure players know whats going on.

So you got the above bases covered lets move on to the next section.

How to Register/When a Team for a tournament.

This is a general overview as each Tournament is different but WG tends to follow the same basic pattern. So you found this tournament you would like to participate in, You go to the tournament page for that tournament and first thing you should do is read it COMPLETELY. Once you have read it scroll down to the bottom of the Page and click the Participate button. Warning!!! Watch out as some tournaments have sub-tournaments such as the current Skirmishes, They have the Alpha (Full Week) and the Bravo (Friday-Sunday) Make sure you click on the proper Participate Button. This will bring you to the Team Registration Page where all other teams that have registered are listed. Now press the Create Team Button.

1. Choose a Name, consider making a name that you will always use to make it easier on your players to find the future teams.

2. Add contact info of the Coord. and the Caller or Asst. Coord. I strongly suggest you not use email addresses for various reasons such as you open yourself up to email spammers and NEVER use your email that is associated with your game account. Just use your game name and check your forum/portal PMs.

3. Optional to add any additional info. If you feel the need to add additional info try to keep it tournament related. As it makes your team look more professional and will attract a better quality player.

4. Password: Yes please use a password. there are various reasons for this the main one is this makes all potential players come to one of the above contacts and chat with you so you can get to know them and what tanks they have. Using a PW also will prevent any unknown players from just joining your team as they tend to not show up at all and just collect the rewards that you and your team worked hard at and did nothing.

5. Press the Create Button..... Now you have registered your team.

6. Just to make sure everything went properly (especially in tournaments with sub-tournaments) go back to the tournament page and click again on Participate. You should see your team name above the search field or you can search for it. This is just guaranteeing that you signed up for the proper tournament.

Now that you created a team..... What next.

Have your caller and or Asst. Coord. read over the rules and regulations (R&R) completely, once they have done this you should discuss the R&R with them to make sure that you understand them completely and you both understand them the same. This sounds really silly but there is several teams in each of the tournaments that bring the wrong tanks. By discussing this you will 99% of the time figure out exactly what tanks you can and can not bring. If you still have any questions go to the forum thread for that tournament and ask them Prior to the start of the tournament. Now that you understand the R&R what to do next.

1. Search for players. Start with your clanmates and your tournament pact clan(if applicable) then you can look for Mercs to join your team.

2. Make sure that anybody that joins team has useable tanks. If they don't there is no reason that they are there as they won't be of any help as a reserve. I have a list of players and their tanks that I share with the caller.

3. Make sure you can field a team each of the tournament days. It sucks being eliminated because of nobody showing up. I have a Availability list of the players, as not everybody can make everyday of a 1wk or 2wk. long tournament. But we know who can/can't make it prior to the tournament starting. Now things do pop up and someone won't make it for whatever reason, this is why you should schedule at least 1 reserve for each day. If its not possible to have a reserve for a given day, make sure the players that can make it know that there are not any reserves and that they should do their best to make it.

4. Schedule some Team Trainings. They don't have to be hours long, but this helps you work on strategies before the tournament starts. Also this will show you who is reliable, if they can't make it to "some" of the trainings good chances they won't make it to the battles.

5. I strongly suggest that you fill the team completely. As most tournaments payout to each member it doesn't hurt to have those reserves. Also it gives you more flexibility with scheduling and tank selection. This also relieves stress on the other members because they don't have to be there every night.

Ok your team is full, now what do I do?

Now that your team is full I strongly suggest you not submit the team until shortly before the registration closes for that tournament. The reasoning behind this is that some members may have something in their life that comes up and they won't be able to make the tournament, in that case they can leave the team (or you can kick them) and fill that slot with a player that can meet the needs of the team. Also you may have players that can't/don't show up for any of the trainings, as mentioned above if they don't commit to any of the trainings will they commit to the tournament? This is a tough decision that the tournament director needs to make.

Now that you have a team that is committed to the tournament you MUST submit the team. to do this go to your tournament team page........

You must click the "Apply for Tournament" , If you do not do this your team will be Denied participation in the tournament. There is at least 1 team every tournament that asks why their team was denied and 99% of the time it is because they didn't submit the team. Don't be one of these teams !!

So you just submitted your team..... Now what?

Well depending on when your team was submitted what you have time to do.

1. Keep in contact with your team members, letting them know when trainings are or when the first battle is and any other important info regarding the tournament.

2. Keep checking both the tournament page and the forum thread for your tournament. As there are rare cases where there was a typo and the R&R changes or there is important info posted in the forums.

3. Run Trainings and more trainings (optional, but it helps your teamwork)

4. Use sites like www.maptactic.com to come up with a couple of strategies for each spawn side.

5. Watch youtube videos of other tournaments and checkout what strategies where used on the maps. (note: that you probably won't find any that fits exactly to the tournament you signed up for, but it gives a general idea what works and what doesn't}

6. Plan a meeting time for the day of the battle/s. My suggestion is have everyone meet up ~30min before the start of each match, this will give you time to try to contact anyone that hasn't showed up yet.

So its the day of the tournament......

This for me is personally (as Tournament Coordinator) is the most stressful, as I am contacting the avail. members verifying that they are still avail. . I am also checking out the tournament page to see what our schedule is like, who do we play and trying to collect as much info as I can.

So it is shortly before the 1st battle (meeting time)

Ok it is about to get real now.. and time is short to get everything going if its not already.

1. make sure you have everybody there if not get busy trying to contact them.

2. Make sure everybody is on the EAST server. all tournaments are run on that server.

3. Do Comm. checks, I strongly suggest using TeamSpeak or another software For your voice comms. (VC) This should have been set up long before the tournament but if it wasn't use the In-Game VC as it is better than nothing. I can not stress enough how important having VC is.

4. Once the Special Battles pops up get the members in there A.S.A.P. and readied up.

5. Turn over the control to the Caller as soon as you can, as he needs to pick his players and tanks and move them up to the ready window and he has limited time to do this. He also needs to make sure that everyone know what there job is.

6. Keep an eye on the Special Battle chat, any info that is given out can be very valuable, just watch-out for misinformation.

Things I have learned to do just in case....

1. Make sure you have at least 2 people that are playing have the Battle Recordings turned on. (only 1 is needed but redundancy is better in case something strange happens)

2. Take a screenshot of the Ready-Up window about 10sec. prior to each battle starting. Why? if for some reason you get a Tech. Defeat you have evidence that your team was readied up on time and had the proper tanks.

3. Get ready to take a screenshot of the countdown at the start of the match in case your opponent brings a "illegal" tank set-up. (It is easier for WG to view a Screenshot than mess around with a Replay)

Team rules that my team has to follow.....

1. Keep VC to a minimum so the caller can communicate without having to try to talk over members.

2. Sportsmanship: If it is not GG or GLHF it is best just not to say anything at all. Trash Talking is NOT to be done in tournaments PERIOD. Wouldn't it suck to get DQ'd for trash talking when you rolled the other team?

3. All fighting is to be directed at the opponent and not towards your fellow teammates. Any issues that may arise WILL be taken care of after the battles are over. No reason for that extra drama in the middle of a battle/s.

4. Not all members will get to battle every match or any for that matter. We try to get everyone some playtime but that is not always the case. Its not personal, its about fielding the best team for the situation that we expect. Again its not personal.

Ok the battle just started.......

Now it just got real...... Keep quite and listen to what the caller is saying, he has 30sec. to get the match started off on the right foot. At the same time checkout the other teams set-up... is it legal? No grab a screenshot (you can also grab it from the after battle report, but i prefer to get it sooner than later. Everything is ok? Good just as it should be. Now just enjoy the competition and listen to the caller. Make suggestions if needed and work as a team, this is not a Pub match so teamwork is very important. Use Map pings to show where you believe where the enemy is shooting you from. Remember let the caller do his job.

Battle ended, What to do in the time to next battle....

This is the time to discuss (not argue) what went right and what went wrong and correct it. The caller needs to make any adjustments to the line-up or to the strategy in this time period. Let the caller do his thing as the time is very limited. Caller listen to the suggestions that are given to you as you maybe in command but others may have good ideas they may have bad ideas also so sort through the ideas and keep a open mind.

So the battles are overfor the night.....

Take a few minutes after the evenings battles are done to discuss what happened that night on the battlefield, In the military this is called the AAR (After Action Report). Also use this time to give praise to your players for fighting hard and point out highlights (helps with the moral, even on a bad night). Also tell the players when the next battles are, or how much Gold the team just won ect. After you finish your short AAR use the time to take a breather and then prepare for the next day (assuming you made the cut) Also this would be the time for the team Capt. to gather any evidence from the other members so you can file a dispute if needed. Use commonsense and sportsmanship when deciding to file a dispute. 

This is a guide that I came up with over my many of tournaments we have fought in and is meant to Help New tournament players to get started on the right foot and to help existing teams to become more successful. This is by no means a step by step to get rich fast and it won't be practical for every team.

I have left out some "secret" info that just for our teams eyes only that we have developed over time. But I urge you to think of a tournament as a real war battle and develop your own secrets and ways to do things that fit you. Remember this is for fun, but is it not funnier to be successful? and get even a small gold prize?

Some last minute tips:

1. Have fun playing in the tournaments

2. Try to take them serious even though they are just for fun.

3. Enjoy the structured competition, is that not why you really joined in on the tournaments?

4. Set reasonable goals when you go into a tournament. Its not reasonable to go in a tournament thinking you will win it all. As a team with little to no tournament experience set a goal of like getting a small gold pay-out (the last payout spot) or making it to a certain round.

5. Don't get frustrated as you can't win them all. Even if you did not make your set goal, reevaluate your goal.. Was it reasonable? Was it achievable? Does your goal need to be lowered or raised?

6. Once you find a team that works good together, try to continue to use many of the same players. This will build up your teamwork which will bring more success.

What makes me an expert? I'm not one and don't claim to be a expert. but I and my fellow teammates have placed in the Gold many of times winning about 25,000-30,000  gold each in the past few months. So I am just trying to spread my knowledge and experience to those that want to learn from it. I will update this to add some more tips

SmirkingGerbil #2 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 13:21

Major

• Players
  • 33627 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

Thank you!

Well Done. +1.

HigherThanYou #3 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 13:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21447 battles
Thank you for the time and effort you put into this. +1

Runsilentwolf #4 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 13:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10116 battles
  • [STRMD] STRMD
Ah thank you for takeing your time into this! Really useful +1

Panzerkompanie #5 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 13:49

Captain

• Players
  • 31805 battles
  • [7-BDR] 7-BDR
Well thought out and written Mogual. +1 to you sir...

_Brendan #6 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 13:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10540 battles
Thanks for this amazing post. +1

A_Fuzzy_Velociraptor #7 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 14:16

Major

• Players
  • 23839 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY

Also most voicecom programs like Teamspeak have a channel description. If you have the ability to edit the channel description, we've found it much easier to post the tourneys and skirmish teams in there. It means you don't have to paste the link into the clan chat dozens of times, people can access it easier, and the people who join the tourney will at the very least have ears.

It also helps to have a backup caller in the event your caller cannot show up.

Moguai #8 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 18:03

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO

View PostInciatus, on Apr 15 2014 - 06:16, said:

Also most voicecom programs like Teamspeak have a channel description. If you have the ability to edit the channel description, we've found it much easier to post the tourneys and skirmish teams in there. It means you don't have to paste the link into the clan chat dozens of times, people can access it easier, and the people who join the tourney will at the very least have ears.

It also helps to have a backup caller in the event your caller cannot show up.

We do this also with the TS description and it has become extremely helpful, as players just have to stop by teamspeak regardless of the time and get all the basic Info even when no one else is online. I didn't add this as I wanted to  keep it fairly basic and not overload folks with the tiny details. Also let them think they are the only ones doing something like this. ;)

Yes a back-up caller is nice to have, but a good caller is hard to find let alone 2 of them. When we come across that problem when the caller can't make it we normally roll without a real caller, but we normally have already fought several battles and have our strategies down so we are just going through the motions.

Run4itmArty #9 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 18:16

Captain

• Players
  • 11214 battles
Immortalized! Thank you Moguai :honoring:

TrOplcThUnDeR #10 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 19:18

Major

• Players
  • 14252 battles
Don't take Moguais advice. He is a baddie caller and is trying to ruin all your chances to win. Everytime he doesn't call he brings the wrong tanks and just wants free gold. Baddie stat padder. -1

Moguai #11 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 20:29

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO

LoL Tropic...... For all of you who Don't know Tropic here is a member of SOBAD which is a clan that we have a tournament pact with and he is just trolling me.

BTW Yes I am a horrible caller this is why I am a tournament director ;)

Fixed your -1 Buddy.

Edited by Moguai, Apr 15 2014 - 20:33.

Moguai #12 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 20:42

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO
Feel Free to ask questions I will try to answer them promptly and how I would handle it. Also feel free to add how you would do something.

flamino #13 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 20:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9110 battles
  • [T-D] T-D

Block Quote

4. Use sites like www.maptactic.com to come up with a couple of strategies for each spawn side.

I found this point especially riveting. ;)

Derp_o7 #14 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 20:53

Captain

• Players
  • 30821 battles
  • [KANTO] KANTO

View PostMoguai, on Apr 15 2014 - 15:42, said:

Feel Free to ask questions I will try to answer them promptly and how I would handle it. Also feel free to add how you would do something.

Your team need a bench warmer? ;)

Moguai #15 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 20:58

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO

View PostMister_Derp, on Apr 15 2014 - 12:53, said:

Your team need a bench warmer? ;)

Sorry we are already running 2 teams per tournament and are not having any issues filling them. But if you go to the tournament threads they normally have a Looking for players / looking for team threads try there.

_Dreadnaught_ #16 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 21:01

Major

• Players
  • 34139 battles

WG needs to introduce player made tournaments where the gold comes from each team and is given to the finalist.

So it'd be more like poker. :p

Moguai #17 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 21:57

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO

View Post_Dreadnaught_, on Apr 15 2014 - 13:01, said:

WG needs to introduce player made tournaments where the gold comes from each team and is given to the finalist.

Thats a interesting concept, but I am not so sure how legal that is. as it probably falls under "Gambling" laws and regulations.

A_Bag_of_Kittens #18 Posted Apr 15 2014 - 22:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16968 battles
Mog what team is yours? 

Moguai #19 Posted Apr 16 2014 - 01:17

Major

• Players
  • 39663 battles
  • [ATO] ATO

View PostA_Bag_of_Kittens, on Apr 15 2014 - 14:59, said:

Mog what team is yours? 

We are normally either A Potential Disaster or Another Potential Disaster.

My clan has changed Pacts so those names are not used by us anymore.

Edited by Moguai, Jun 04 2014 - 10:32.

Mlman #20 Posted Apr 16 2014 - 14:08

Captain

• Players
  • 17170 battles
  • [HSF] HSF

View Post_Dreadnaught_, on Apr 15 2014 - 16:01, said:

May be difficult to impletment as the gold would have to come from the players, & not from a clan's treasury.  That might actually drive off some baddies.  (this is outside the whole gambling question).

Edit:  Great Job Moguai!  Thanks.  I wish I had a post like this back when I was running skirmishes in my old clan.  It's a lot more work (& stress) than some people realize.  It's especially tough on a small clan (we were @ 46 members) where you might have a limited tank selection.  It certainly makes you think as both a captain & caller.

I know this will be a multi-part post, so please don't forget about how to scout an opponent when the schedule comes out.

Edited by Mlman, Apr 16 2014 - 14:13.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users