T20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

Brinok #1 Posted Apr 24 2011 - 18:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
So I've finally finished up grinding the last gun on my Easy 8 and now working towards unlocking the T20. Just wondering what are peoples opinions on it and how does it hold up against other T7 mediums and above. Slighty worried that it might be a weak tank considering in my last round my Easy 8 took 10% of a T20s health with each consecutive shot.

FlatCat #2 Posted Apr 24 2011 - 18:33

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostCynicalCharm, on Apr 24 2011 - 18:23, said:

So I've finally finished up grinding the last gun on my Easy 8 and now working towards unlocking the T20. Just wondering what are peoples opinions on it and how does it hold up against other T7 mediums and above. Slighty worried that it might be a weak tank considering in my last round my Easy 8 took 10% of a T20s health with each consecutive shot.

I had it in the beta only as the basic model that one I did not like maybe as it is upgraded it got better stock its pretty bad coming from an EZ8 you will feel like your running in sand.

Vitreal #3 Posted Apr 24 2011 - 18:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Played right - The T20 is a monster. its meaner than the T-43.

rycerz2 #4 Posted Apr 24 2011 - 18:56

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Love this tank... On begining it's really weak. Get Suspension then turret, 90mm and engine as last. 90mm is a bit slow but it does big damage and has great accuracy AND penetration. :Smile-izmena:

ZiggyDeath #5 Posted Apr 24 2011 - 21:13

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The T20 is a much longer ranged flanker than the E8 is. The problem stems from the fact that the 90mm loses a lot of the raw power the 76mm has. On the flip side, it does mean that you don't have to reposition yourself to engage side and rear aspects on many more targets. The increased accuracy is also helpful.

However, the T20 can only brawl using her large health pool. She is neither fast nor nimble enough to perform the circle of death without juking and psyching out opponents. The T20 also relies more heavily on cover since she isn't tall enough to exploit terrain, as cover, as well as the Sherman. Fitted with a gun stabilizer, she is a very potent peek-a-boo tank, since the 90mm, just like the 76mm, is a fast aiming gun.

25Spartanspearman25 #6 Posted Apr 25 2011 - 02:10

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
great fire power and every thing, but it's a little slow and the manuverability is not the best. :Smile_harp:

hadjidontsurf #7 Posted Apr 25 2011 - 06:05

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm in the same boat as the OP...good question w/ lots of good info for a newbie like me  :Smile-playing:

brojones #8 Posted Apr 25 2011 - 09:14

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Keep in mind that both the 90mm and the 76mm are excellent guns in their own circumstances.

The 90mm is an adequate sniping cannon, but leaves you vulnerable when in close combat unless you have consistent cover. You shouldn't be at the front of the pack with this cannon.

The 76mm completely destroys opponents up close. The advantage to this cannon is that you can often kill tanks before they deal a significant amount of damage to you; in effect, improving the T20's survivability. This gun greatly takes advantage of the T20's speed and will be a huge improvement for those who enjoyed the M4A3E8.

csp40 #9 Posted Apr 25 2011 - 09:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The T20, like all other high-tier US mediums, is quite unforgiving.
Be careful with it, and you will be rewarded.

Getty #10 Posted Apr 25 2011 - 15:44

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
T20 is a great tank. You can get to key spots on the map at the start of the game with raw speed. However it takes a moment to get rolling. It doesnt turn as well as the EZ8 and cannot circle strafe people to death, however after you figure out how she turns, you can routinely wreck heavy's because your faster and can still outrun their turret if you cut it right.  The 90mm is great for sniping and it can wreck tanks in T7-8 It does more than fine against other T7 Meds.

25Spartanspearman25 #11 Posted Apr 25 2011 - 15:49

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
yeah, its a great tank if you're a good tanker and know how to use it, but then again wat tank isn't good under those terms? :Smile-bajan2:

publord #12 Posted Apr 26 2011 - 04:13

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Post25Spartanspearman25, on Apr 25 2011 - 15:49, said:

yeah, its a great tank if you're a good tanker and know how to use it, but then again wat tank isn't good under those terms? :Smile-bajan2:

Well here's some facts for you.

It has the lowest profile of all the tier 7 meds, best gun and the best design. By design I mean the low profile and forward mounted and fast aiming gun. Great for peaking.

It's not a great brawler because the engine's a little underpowered, but consumable fuel should fix that if you don't mind investing 5k a game to profit some more. I've honestly never seen so many heavies miss me because of tiny size of the tank + it's 50 km speed. Make something slow firing like an IS or T29 miss you once and that gives you the upper hand. Tiger with its big pool of hp and fast firing gun is another matter entirely though.

Mashlmaro #13 Posted Apr 27 2011 - 19:21

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
the 90mm does seem a little too slow though. One on one with the ISU-152 with the 122mm cannon, the reload speeds are approximately the same which doesn't make a lot of sense as the 122mm would take a considerably longer time to load in the breech than that of a 90mm. I'm not saying that the 90mm is a bad gun in any way, it performs superbly and I average about 1-3 kills per game (not kill steals). However, I think I'd prefer a boost in the reload rate and a reasonable sacrifice in damage as opposed to having waited the full reload time only to find out that the SU/ISU-152 in front of you can fire at the same rate as you.

EDIT** This is with 100% crew

ZiggyDeath #14 Posted Apr 27 2011 - 19:47

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMashlmaro, on Apr 27 2011 - 19:21, said:

the 90mm does seem a little too slow though. One on one with the ISU-152 with the 122mm cannon, the reload speeds are approximately the same which doesn't make a lot of sense as the 122mm would take a considerably longer time to load in the breech than that of a 90mm.
You're not only comparing it to a TD, and pretty much all TD variant guns are faster than standard models, but also a vehicle which is a tier up. Balance trumps realism.

Faratia #15 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 04:55

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Well this is how I play T20.
First of all, start thinking like a TD, this means for equipment I chose Rammer,+25% Bino and Camo net.
It is also a bonus because +25% Binocular Telescope and Camo net can later be transfered to T23.

The main reason I chose these equipments is, if you got into a camping map (Komarin,Campnovka) or a map with a lot of bushes.
You can actually go quite far up to certain scout spot without getting sighted or shot at.
This means you can scout for your team so they can fire at the enemy.
By the end of the match, you get bonus for friendlies hitting those who you've scouted.
I got 13xx exp and over 30k once without firing a single shot in Campnovka just by doing frontline observing.(with premium account though)

That's the scout role for T20 in some camping maps.

Now if you're getting into fights, remember the principles for all US medium tanks.
"Follow other tanks, stick with your friends, you're nothing without them."
"Once engaged, enemy will always shoot you first because you're US medium, so stay behind cover and friendlies, wait for the chance to show up."
"If you're isolated, regroup with your team, you cant hold a chokepoint by yourself because once they know you're an US medium holding it, they will simply zerg you(unless they're 2 tiers below you)."

This is pretty much how I play my T20.
T23 will be similar except it has a little more close range combat ability, where you can start practice on how to play a Pershing.

(After playing Pershing for so long, T23 feels like a mini-Pershing when I play it again after live. Which means it's a great tank on building your mind on how to play a Pershing.)

Note:
165 battles, 62% victories, 54% survived, 70% hit ratio and an average of 770 exp per battle.

Mako26 #16 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 05:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostCynicalCharm, on Apr 24 2011 - 18:23, said:

There's a direct parallel between the M7, Easy8, and T20 in all aspects relative to their tier opponents. If you liked the M7 and Easy8 then you'll like the T20 once you get use to the ROF on the 90.

Some might say you can't do the circle of death type tactics with the T20, but when you consider that your opponents are working with lower ROF guns too then it is relatively the same as you've experienced with the M7 and Easy8 versus their tier opponents.

So far I'm averaging 60% victories and 785xp per battle out of 56 battles. I'm using the rammer, vstab, and gun laying drive; crews at about 80% camo now. The American mediums are my brawler tanks. That being said, the nice thing about the American mediums is how versatile they are, you can also set them up and use them like Faratia mentioned and do just as well with them.

The tanks plenty capable of taking on all of its same tier opponents, and like its predecessors it can hold its own in higher tier battles too.

Goodwill #17 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 16:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
T-20 is more a driveby tank than a circle of death tank

wip3 #18 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 21:43

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Just got my T20 today and I'm suprised by how differently it has to be driven than the easy 8. The 90mm fells really slow for the tank and mobility isn't as good as you'd hope. Still now that I'm learning to use it as it is supposed to be used I'm getting pretty good results. Great little tank and the cutest tank in the game by far :3

LinkNZ #19 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 09:22

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Back in beta with my T20 w/ the 90mm, tbh I feared brawling with mediums more than against heavies. Heavies with their slow track & turret traverse speed and ROF I could deal with by being slippery but it was the mediums that were a bigger pain.

An Easy 8 for example takes off about 10% off you with each shot, it takes you at worst 4 shots (28 seconds assuming you have the best crew and fire immediately) to destroy it, by which time you would have been on the receiving end of roughly 9 hits.

I've had success playing it as a sniper and I'm working my way to unlocking it now, the thing is just adorable!

del1000030716 #20 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 09:36

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postwip3, on Apr 28 2011 - 21:43, said:

Just got my T20 today and I'm suprised by how differently it has to be driven than the easy 8. The 90mm fells really slow for the tank and mobility isn't as good as you'd hope. Still now that I'm learning to use it as it is supposed to be used I'm getting pretty good results. Great little tank and the cutest tank in the game by far :3

To really appreciate the T20 you need to "elite" it, get a rammer, a vertical stabilizer and train your crew as much as possible.

You wont have the initial acceleration and change of direction ability of the E8 but you'll like it.

Of the E8-->T23 series, the T20 is the best XP maker for me, so far.