WoT 9.x Guide for Better FPS/Graphic Optimization 3.0

Optimization Graphics FPS Performance

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

BrianHorrocks #61 Posted Apr 23 2014 - 13:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3901 battles

Which would be better for fps that goes all over the place from 70 and 80 down to sometimes 29?  Adjusting render, fov or something like textures and/or terrain?

I already figured out that not running full screen seems to help with lighting at medium and extra effects at low.  LOD, Draw Distance, Terrain quality and textures are maxed atm.

Blur, foliage, flora, shadows, anti aliasing, water, extra effects in sniper, tracks etc are all at lowest or off.

Edited by BrianHorrocks, Apr 23 2014 - 13:43.

M_K_Papa #62 Posted Apr 23 2014 - 21:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23516 battles
  • [ACES] ACES

View PostBrianHorrocks, on Apr 23 2014 - 08:40, said:

Which would be better for fps that goes all over the place from 70 and 80 down to sometimes 29?  Adjusting render, fov or something like textures and/or terrain?

I assume CPU or main RAM is at fault here. Try to shutdown as many background programs as possible.

Cartoonman #63 Posted Apr 26 2014 - 00:53

Major

• Players
  • 14657 battles

View PostBrianHorrocks, on Apr 23 2014 - 08:40, said:

You have to be more specific on when these FPS drops occur. If they occur during sniper mode zooming in, that's a very long-known WoT issue that's been with the game since it's creation. There are FPS drops to be expected when zooming in in sniper mode. There is also FPS drops that occur when you're facing your camera towards a very large part of the map where a lot is rendered (E.g. sitting in south east corner of Ruinberg and looking towards the city). These two scenarios are the most common form of FPS drop that is experienced almost universally, and is something that only WG can fix, either by optimizing or totally recoding how things are rendered. 

BrianHorrocks #64 Posted Apr 26 2014 - 01:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3901 battles

View Postmkosulin, on Apr 23 2014 - 15:41, said:

I assume CPU or main RAM is at fault here. Try to shutdown as many background programs as possible.

View PostCartoonman, on Apr 25 2014 - 18:53, said:

You have to be more specific on when these FPS drops occur. If they occur during sniper mode zooming in, that's a very long-known WoT issue that's been with the game since it's creation. There are FPS drops to be expected when zooming in in sniper mode. There is also FPS drops that occur when you're facing your camera towards a very large part of the map where a lot is rendered (E.g. sitting in south east corner of Ruinberg and looking towards the city). These two scenarios are the most common form of FPS drop that is experienced almost universally, and is something that only WG can fix, either by optimizing or totally recoding how things are rendered. 

thank you both. I am going through my processes and services in task manager.  I tried gameboost by razer and that didn't help much if at all.  

Cartoonman, it could be the latter on map facing but it seems to be more when things get "busy" on the map (lots of effects, tanks, movement etc) Also on some maps it just seems to not want to go above 31-38 or so

Edited by BrianHorrocks, Apr 26 2014 - 01:32.

Cartoonman #65 Posted Apr 26 2014 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 14657 battles

View PostBrianHorrocks, on Apr 25 2014 - 20:31, said:

Cartoonman, it could be the latter on map facing but it seems to be more when things get "busy" on the map (lots of effects, tanks, movement etc) Also on some maps it just seems to not want to go above 31-38 or so

Ah yes, I know what you're talking about. I too get that FPS drop as well, so you're not alone. A lot of tank movement and effects, in any game mind you, will result in a noticeable FPS drop if there is no FPS cap. Also some maps will have lower FPS simply due to the nature of the map having more things in it (Steppes vs Windstorm)

BrianHorrocks #66 Posted Apr 26 2014 - 22:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3901 battles

View PostCartoonman, on Apr 26 2014 - 15:55, said:

Ah yes, I know what you're talking about. I too get that FPS drop as well, so you're not alone. A lot of tank movement and effects, in any game mind you, will result in a noticeable FPS drop if there is no FPS cap. Also some maps will have lower FPS simply due to the nature of the map having more things in it (Steppes vs Windstorm)

thanks for the info :)  I'm still somewhat new to the online gaming stuff so that's news to me and a big help.  If you'd add Runesberg (on fire) to that list(Steppes and Windstorm) and maybe Pearl River, that basically covers my list of problem fps maps

quangkieu #67 Posted Apr 28 2014 - 08:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 11418 battles
I am using a laptop so it is pretty weak (Lenovo W530) and changed everything to minimum except view range at max. I am also using WOT Tweaker 0.9.0 (compressed texture to decrease CPU and GPU load) and I am have around 30-50 fps depend on different situations which means that it is barely noticeable of the fps drop. The only thing I hate is the spike lags from servers. So I just want to recommend it here if anyone want to give it a try

boven2000hun #68 Posted May 06 2014 - 14:56

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Why i cant turn off grass in sniper mode?Its really annoying me

Ozgen3 #69 Posted May 11 2014 - 07:27

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

Hi, thank you all to help so much. I have FPS problems and also lags too.I would be happy to hear your comments because I dont know much about gaming and also computers.

My system:

Intel core 2 quad Q8200

32bit win7 so despite I have 5 GB RAM installed, Win. only can use 3,25 GB of it.

My new graph. card is PowerColor (ATI) 7850, 1 GB RAM. I overclock it some but Im not sure needed it because I can see my GPU doesnt loaded much (less than 50% and temp. also so low )

I adjusted graph settings some high and some medium to play, and rendering on 85%. Set  antialiasing from game settings to nil and adjusted graph. card gaming features to a good antialias rate)

I m having 19-40+ FPS during game continuously changing. Mostly about 27-28 FPS and sometimes about 40 ies.. My pings were about 60-110 for  several months but for the last 2 days it extended to 120-200+ and no lesser than 120.

Im having :

Lags in game resulting my tanks behaves weird itself ( runs automatically or turns and turns around for a quite time). Also I can see red spots in ping indicator.(EU servers).

Some intermittent moves in game though I see 35/+ FPS. Also sometimes I can have good (no intermittent) screen on 28 FPS around. I cant understand this.

I  checked V sync. on settings yesterday (I was afraiding to get worse ) and nothing changed better or worse. (Samsung sync master 60 Hz. monitor)

After about 1 or 2 hours of gaming then everytime  program pops up a warning " not enough memory, pls.  close and reopen the  program". During that warning I see my RAM is about 72-73 % occupied. (3,25 GB)

After resetting the  program then RAM gets about 55-60% to begin with.

I am overclocking my Front Side Bus to 365/370 Mhz from 333 default., closing all unnecesary services, programs from task manager to have more RAM. Setting affinity to only 1,2,3. cores and not 0. core. I can see this helps a lot to CPU and though it is said WOT is single core game, I can see that 3 cores loading almost equally. Otherwise 0. core gets all and can see graph. hits most top

I installed Extended Visualisation Mode 2 days ago, now I have  excessive contrast problems (very low contrast and overbright screen)  on one map (Southcoast or like that).(No, graph. settings are didnt changed).

Any page file suggestions to help RAM ?

I m  waiting for your comments.

Thank you.

Edited by Ozgen3, May 11 2014 - 07:31.

Cartoonman #70 Posted May 16 2014 - 03:42

Major

• Players
  • 14657 battles

View Postboven2000hun, on May 06 2014 - 09:56, said:

Why i cant turn off grass in sniper mode?Its really annoying me

You should... look at my OP, click the ticker box (turn off grass). If that doesn't work, simply disable flora by sliding it all the way to minimum. 

View PostOzgen3, on May 11 2014 - 02:27, said:

<lots of words>

Ok, a few points. Thank you for describing your issue to the utmost detail. Your system should run WoT based on your CPU and GPU specs. However the 32 bit system with 5 GB of RAM is rather troubling. I will address a few issues you talked about.

1. The sharp movements of tanks you mentioned, and the turning around for quite a while is actually NOT related to your computer. It's actually indicative of internet connectivity issues, specifically packet loss. First I would recommend you to visit Pingtest and select Washington D.C (this is where WoT's server is located if you're using NA East. If you're using NA West, select Los Angeles. Make sure you allow Java to run as Java is required to test packet loss. If prompts come up about Ookla, press allow. Ookla is the company that hosts and manages pingtest.net. This will give you a good idea of how your connection quality is. Note that if you get poor results from this test, Wargaming is not at fault here, and it's your ISP that you should talk to.

If the results come out clean (0% packet loss, good ping etc), then you should download Pingplotter Free, and run a test to this IP address: 209.170.73.54 for NA East, 162.213.61.63 for NA West. If you see significant data packet loss and high ping, post the results here. 

2. In response to your RAM issue, there is only 2 options you can do. One is to reduce your graphics settings (especially textures and details) so that the game will use less memory. The other is to get a proper x64 bit operating system to take advantage of your full RAM capacity. There are also ways to free up RAM for WoT by closing background apps like Skype and such, so be aware of that as well. 

Eisennagel #71 Posted May 16 2014 - 08:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3965 battles

I did the lazy thing and let the Geforce Experience app optimize the WoT client automatically.  I was quite surprised at the settings it did.  Right now I run around 30fps, with image quality that looks better than before.  The tank models certainly never looked this good.

Ozgen3 #72 Posted May 17 2014 - 04:48

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostCartoonman, on May 16 2014 - 04:42, said:

Ok, a few points. Thank you for describing your issue to the utmost detail. Your system should run WoT based on your CPU and GPU specs. However the 32 bit system with 5 GB of RAM is rather troubling. I will address a few issues you talked about.

1. The sharp movements of tanks you mentioned, and the turning around for quite a while is actually NOT related to your computer. It's actually indicative of internet connectivity issues, specifically packet loss. First I would recommend you to visit Pingtest and select Washington D.C (this is where WoT's server is located if you're using NA East. If you're using NA West, select Los Angeles. Make sure you allow Java to run as Java is required to test packet loss. If prompts come up about Ookla, press allow. Ookla is the company that hosts and manages pingtest.net. This will give you a good idea of how your connection quality is. Note that if you get poor results from this test, Wargaming is not at fault here, and it's your ISP that you should talk to.

If the results come out clean (0% packet loss, good ping etc), then you should download Pingplotter Free, and run a test to this IP address: 209.170.73.54 for NA East, 162.213.61.63 for NA West. If you see significant data packet loss and high ping, post the results here. 

2. In response to your RAM issue, there is only 2 options you can do. One is to reduce your graphics settings (especially textures and details) so that the game will use less memory. The other is to get a proper x64 bit operating system to take advantage of your full RAM capacity. There are also ways to free up RAM for WoT by closing background apps like Skype and such, so be aware of that as well. 

Thank you Cartoonman. Im in EU servers. I will try to find  IP s of them and Pingtest them to print here.(First I should learn how is Pingtest to use).

My RAM issue is really annoying and I opened a ticket about it yesterday. The answer they immediately return is here:

"Hello Ozgen3,

Thank you for contacting us with your issue regarding the an of memory exception.

This issue is actually connected to your Widows 7 32-bit operating system and the RAM on your computer.

This is because 32-bit Windows operating systems won't let a single program use more than a set amount of memory and the recent changes in the game have made it a bit more memory-consuming, resulting in some players encountering this problem.

In order to try and solve this issue, you can do the following steps, but please keep in mind that this is your decision and you do it at your own risk:

1. Press the Windows key.
2. Type "CMD" (without the quotation marks) and don't press on the enter key.
3. Once cmd.exe appears, right click on it and run it as admin.
4. Type bcedit/set IncreaseUserVa 3072          **
5. Press the enter key.
6. Restart your computer and have fun! The Out of memory exception should stop bothering you.

You can read more about this issue here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556232%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If you want to reset the original values, you just need to do the same procedure, but change the text in step 4 to: bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa

Reminder: This solution is applied at your own risk, we are in no way responsible of any issues that arise from an incorrect usage of this procedure.

Please note that upgrading to a 64-bit version of your operating system should also solve the issue, if this option is available to you.

If any other questions or issues arise, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Miguel Adaephon Delat

EU Customer Service Team
https://support.worldoftanks.eu   "

**   Important note: That bold line must be " bcdedit....................." I discovered after negative response in cmd. prompt.

I did this and now I will test  if it works or not. But first I checked the PC system and system still says there is  3,5 GB usable of 5 GB RAM.

Cartoonman #73 Posted May 17 2014 - 05:18

Major

• Players
  • 14657 battles

Interesting, thanks for the update. Yes, I forgot, there is a technical workaround in 32 bit systems to increase memory allocation. Windows by default takes like 1 GB reserved for the system, even though it rarely ever uses all of it. By forcing the memory allocation for the user to the max memory setting, it's giving you full access to the maximum amount of RAM you can use (which for 32 bit systems is 3GB). See if that works. Note that this is merely a patch to a chronic problem. The only permanent solution is to really switch to a 64 bit operating system.

Also, the Pingtest is only a general test. If you're from the EU, well there's a bunch of servers all over the EU. I would test these cities if you can:

Bavaria, Germany

Amsterdam, Netherlands

As for pingplotter, where you can test the individual WoT server IP's they are 

Bavaria: 213.252.131.41

Amsterdam: 185.12.240.140

Ozgen3 #74 Posted May 23 2014 - 06:54

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

Hi, sorry I  didnt do any pingtest but I want to share my last situation.

After applying  WOT  team's  suggestion about BCDEdit, my program got fixed. No more memory warnings, nomore program shutdowns and nomore self pulldown of settings. Also I am adjusting "affinity"  not to use 0. core everytime I start WOT and now my PC plays well enough not to complain. Memory occupation does not exceed %65. (Before,  game begins alarm at %70/72 ). Pings are abt. 70-120. No more weird behaviours like sudden uncontrolled moves of tank etc. rarely I can see red dot on ping indicator but even they are not affect play so big.

I recommend everybody  to set that "bcdedit " thing (sure using Win 32 bit and having more than 3 GB RAM). Also affinity set to other cores but 0. is very useful on game performance.

Edited by Ozgen3, May 23 2014 - 08:56.

crapcannon #75 Posted Jun 04 2014 - 06:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20395 battles
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-

Very informative thread! +1!

I'm currently playing on an old overclocked E6750/GT8800 on a 1920 x 1200 5ms LCD and it runs great, >70fps. But that's with it set on 'recommended' settings.

Gonna see what my 4770k/GTX780 on a 2560x1440 can do now that I know what the graphics look like at a higher setting.

gremlin181 #76 Posted Jun 06 2014 - 22:00

Captain

• Players
  • 8194 battles

Very usefull information Thanks and have a +1

My venerabe old system has been running WOT for a couple of years quite well, the system rating is 5.0 overall 5.9 for the processor 5.5 for memory and 5.0 graphics.

Been running the game in standard graphics mode and get 45-55 fps on average.

Changed my graphics card Nvidia GT220 1gig for a GT640 2 gig has made a world of difference and one slightly to my mind odd side effect.

Defalt settings for the now 5.9 graphics system is Improved graphics and everything to medium.

FPS was way down 16 to 25 but the game played very smoothly.

I have dropped texture and shadow down to low and am getting 28-30 and its very playable.

This surprises me that it doesnt appear jerky and there seems no lag, which I find odd, needless to say it looks amazing after the standard setting.

Read the article going to make a few more changes and see how I get on.

Thanks again

Edited by gremlin181, Jun 06 2014 - 22:00.

Guest_Gryphon__* #77 Posted Jul 18 2014 - 17:41

View PostEisennagel, on May 16 2014 - 00:19, said:

I did the lazy thing and let the Geforce Experience app optimize the WoT client automatically.  I was quite surprised at the settings it did.  Right now I run around 30fps, with image quality that looks better than before.  The tank models certainly never looked this good.

I've just done this too. I've been tweaking graphics settings for years, and thought I had the optimum setup at about 35 fps, but the tool made changes that resulted in 40 fps and it looks pretty good too!

Trash_Panda_65 #78 Posted Aug 04 2014 - 15:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 33518 battles
  • [-X] -X
What kind of FPS rate should I be able to achieve with an ASUS G55, i7-3630QM, 2.4GHz, 12GB ram, NVIDIA GEFORCE 660M/2GB? Any indsight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cartoonman #79 Posted Aug 09 2014 - 11:51

Major

• Players
  • 14657 battles

View PostSparkleBadger, on Aug 04 2014 - 10:39, said:

What kind of FPS rate should I be able to achieve with an ASUS G55, i7-3630QM, 2.4GHz, 12GB ram, NVIDIA GEFORCE 660M/2GB? Any indsight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

With a setup like that, you should be more than fine. That video card is a bit better than mine, and my card can run medium at around 30fps. (note, my card isn't optimized for gaming. It's a firepro V4900), so your card should run the game very smoothly.

SMBakerESQ #80 Posted Aug 14 2014 - 23:13

Major

• Players
  • 21218 battles

I will take a stab

MSI gaming Mb,

16gb ram

i5

geforce 660 gtx

Also tagged with Optimization, Graphics, FPS, Performance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users