cinema question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: cinema question (12 members have cast votes)

have movie quality improved over the years?

1. hell yes, i only watch movies to see stuff blow up! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. yes, movies have gotten better (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. no, movies today lack plot, oridgeonality, and believebility (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. no, movies today are worse (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. i do not notice a difference. (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

_Koi #1 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 03:56

Major

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO

i recently watched the hulk movie by marvel, in short i was not immpressed, someone got kidnapped, stuff blew up, good guys win. but it brought up the question: 

do you think movies today are substituteing good thick, real hardy plots for special efects and a topics that would attract a larger target demographic?

Brother_Noodle_PizzaTime #2 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 03:58

Major

• Players
  • 18126 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
All depends on the movies, it's been a lot more hit-or-miss recently as opposed to a while back when everything was at least having a decent plot. 

SNIPRS #3 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:01

Captain

• Players
  • 6754 battles
  • [H2O] H2O
Yes, I liked old movies better, but I'm playing too much WoT lately to watch movies

_Koi #4 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:01

Major

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO

View PostxAzDKr, on Apr 24 2014 - 03:58, said:

All depends on the movies, it's been a lot more hit-or-miss recently as opposed to a while back when everything was at least having a decent plot. 

completely agrree there have been some good ones recently.

jensen215_ #5 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6187 battles

Avengers and Captain America (both of them) and the first Iron Man are pretty good

but I'm to young to judge or compare against older movies

soviet_T_47 #6 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:03

Captain

• Players
  • 12423 battles
  • [MOC] MOC

i like how movies are turning into a darker realistic thing instead of, good guys walk in, win the dame, walk out as the bad guy explodes from the good guys sheer greatness. 

The dark knight was a great example of this, and the winter soldier.... ehh... i wouldn't mind more if it focused on the winter soldier him self (spoiler alert it's bucky) i liked how it showed he still managed to retain some of his humanity, but other then that. no

OriginalJuice #7 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1300 battles

There's no difference.

There's always been poorly made and badly written movies since the medium was invented, and probably because the last 10-20 years there have been a huge increase in the amount of movies, just means a larger number of horrible ones.

One thing that's has changed over the years is the acting styles, and probably more noticeable than anything else.

Edited by OJ_, Apr 24 2014 - 04:22.

_Koi #8 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:09

Major

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO

what we need is another bullit

another sand pebbles

another beu geste

another the french conection

another life and death of colonal blimp.

another rear window

(i dont mean a remake, they will just ruin it) but movies that have plots that are that solid and suspencfull.

partisan1941 #9 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:13

Captain

• Players
  • 27476 battles

the way the cinema in Hollywood is now is pretty simple imo. Their logic is: make things go boom = profit. I actually personally disagree with that. It's not that I hate action movies (I love em) but when I go see a movie in a theatre I expect something to wow me or at least surprise me in a positive way.

Good action movies with great storylines for me are: gladiator, lotr series, terminator 2. U may disagree with mine but I believe they all have good solid character development which many modern films lack Ex. GI joe, star trek, < they are fun to watch but when u look back u realize that characters were just bland portrayals of stereotypes.

My fav film btw is the terminator 2 :P

etienne40 #10 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 04:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2820 battles

In the end this is all really subjective. 

To me I'd have to say in more resent years I haven't been a big fan of many movies made. Which I guess goes mostly do the genres that seem to be popular now. For example to you mention superhero movies. Personally I've just never been a fan of superheroes. 

_Koi #11 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO

View Postpartisan1941, on Apr 24 2014 - 04:13, said:

the way the cinema in Hollywood is now is pretty simple imo. Their logic is: make things go boom = profit. I actually personally disagree with that. It's not that I hate action movies (I love em) but when I go see a movie in a theatre I expect something to wow me or at least surprise me in a positive way.

Good action movies with great storylines for me are: gladiator, lotr series, terminator 2. U may disagree with mine but I believe they all have good solid character development which many modern films lack Ex. GI joe, star trek, < they are fun to watch but when u look back u realize that characters were just bland portrayals of stereotypes.

My fav film btw is the terminator 2 :P

yep

TsarCidron #12 Posted Apr 24 2014 - 23:11

Major

• Players
  • 6817 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

Hollywood (and the movie industry as a whole) has gotten very conservative and protective of their money.  They dont like investing in 'new ideas', instead preferring to invest in more 'proven' titles, even if its a remake, reboot, sequel, or 'trend'.    They are afraid to 'try something new'. To make a movie that is *gasp* dare I say it,  Original.

Remakes are easy to spot.  Godzilla is one coming out.  How many Godzilla movies (that title) have been made?  How many successful?

Reboots are pretty easy as well.   Star Trek.  Okay, Cool.  But... how many Star Trek movies (heck, and series) have there been.

Sequels lack .. creativity, soon they become tiresome.. 

Trends.  Those are a bit trickier.  They are like the current trend of comic book movies.  Alot of hits (and misses - daredevil, elektra, ....). 

Overall, I am disappointed in the movie industry.  Plots are becoming more of an afterthought.  And most of those could be written by my teenaged boys.  More of the movies are becoming "Special Effects Bonanza's" which increase costs of production, which is handed down to us in the form of increased movie ticket prices.  I think the last time we went to see a movie as a family was LoTR3 midnight showing.  But, with a family of six, 10-15 bucks per ticket, plus 5-10 more on snacks/drinks... Hollywood has just priced itself out of our ability to attend. 

PoodlePatrol #13 Posted Apr 25 2014 - 01:15

Major

• Players
  • 17547 battles
  • [GOT1] GOT1

I work for what most would call a "major" movie studio ( Dreamworks) and the world of movie making has in some way changed and in others stayed exactly the same. Most studios make some decent movies and make some real crappers, too.

People do need to understand that a large part of what drives the creative process today is the box office. So, if people are unhappy with the way most movies are made today, some of that blame falls on the people that spend money on the movies that are pure drivel.  That is in no way a cop out because let's be honest- a lot of what is being made is dreck- regardless of box office dollars. But as long as there are butts in the seats then the theory is- let's keep making more of the same.

Revolt and bring a change!!! Instead of going to the cinema and spending those hard earned dollars on popcorn, fizzy drinks and candy, spend it on tanks ;)

TheCarthaginian #14 Posted Apr 25 2014 - 02:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14323 battles
Has the quality of SPECIAL EFFECTS improved?
Oh, yes, most certainly.

Has the quality of MOVIES improved?
Not really... if anything, movie quality overall has probably declined - hence the constant 'rebooting' of older films. Hollywood has, in less than 100 years, managed to begin running out of new ideas good enough to make movies out of, and thus must constantly remake older movies that they expect to be carried by their better special effects.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users