For Begginers only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

CaptIceman #1 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 12:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
Hi there,

most of you will already know that, but I just thought I share a few things that took me some time to learn and could have helped me alot if I knew it earlier.

1st. To type a public message (not only to your team), press ENTER, type the message and THAN press CTRL+ENTER.
At the begin I thought I had to press CTRL+ENTER to open a public chat and than press ENTER to send the message, but my messages never go public, always to my teammates only. Till I figured that I was doing it wrong.

2nd. Diference between AP and HE

AP stands for Armor Piercing Shells.
Those should be used against opponents that are max. 1 tier above you (except ARTY's) and anything bellow.
AP does low the "healt indicator" on the opponent, but will do squat if your in lower tier shooting at a HEAVY higher tier.

HE stands for High Explosive Shells.
Those should be used agains opponents that are higher tier and/or stronger than you, since your AP would'n penetrate their heavy armour.
HE hits does damage to internal sistems of the opponent, like killing crew members, damaging engine and such.
ALthough HE does not reduce the "healt indicator" it does damage to an extend and may help your teammates to finish him off, while earning you the EXP points for damage dealth, which is your primary goal.

So be sure to always have some HE and AP loaded, and use them to best fit the situation at hand.

3rd. To alter between AP and HE, just press the shell nbr. twice (tipically 1 for AP and 3 for HE).
i.e. If you have AP loaded on your tier 3 tank and you see a HEAVY in your way, just double press "3" to your crew to replace the AP shell by an HE one. Some player just fire their AP away, thus spending money and giving away your position.

4th. When your hidin in a bush try not to move your hull, since any hull movement will give away your position to a potential observer.
You may move your turret, but don't move your hull (aka moving fw, bkw, turn, etc.).

Well, those are some things that took me some mtime to learn and would've help me alot if I found out about it earlier.

Fell free to add more tips to this thread.

I hope I could help at least some of you guys.

Hope to see you in battle. :Smile-playing:

Viper69 #2 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 14:50

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
Hmm, I would think the HE and AP thing would be reversed in real tank warfare. AP rounds would be a waste on lightly armored targets since you will get pass through shots and He would do squat against a heavily armored foe do to the overpressure being held outside the tank. I would think a high caliber HE round would be more effective against a light skinned opponent because you can still penetrate their armor and get the internal HE grenade. Of course if I were right than artillery in real life would have little effect. I will give your advice a try for sure and thank you.

The Chat thing I did not know about I was constantly sending messages to my own team because like you I was hitting cntrl+enter before typing.

Either way it is definitely a good idea to carry two types of shells I can see for sure, I will try it.

Johnny_Mars #3 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 15:42

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles
5. You want to hide _behind_ a bush, rather than _in_ it. If even a bit of your tank is sticking out, you aren't hidden at all.

6. "Flanking" refers to maneuvering around an opponent so that you can shoot his side or rear armor. Just about every vehicle has the thickest armor on its front. A "flanking maneuver" typically requires at least two tanks working together against a single target.

7. "Going hull down" refers to positioning your tank behind a piece of hard cover - a wall, a hill - so that only your turret is exposed to enemy fire. Many tanks are specifically designed to use this tactic (e.g. they have well-armored turrets and less-well-armored hulls).

8. Upgrade your radio. Not only does having a better radio mean that you can shoot more targets, every time a teammate shoots a target that you're spotting for them, you earn a little passive XP.

9. You can hit targets that you can't actually see. If a target you're shooting at vanishes, go ahead and shoot again anyway. If he didn't actually move, you'll hit him. Also, if you can see shells coming out of a bush at you, you can go ahead and shoot back.

10. Turn the hull of your vehicle one way or the other, just a little bit, so that you're not facing the enemy who is shooting at you straight-on. The angle you create will deflect some shots that might otherwise penetrate your armor.

CaptIceman #4 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 16:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostJohnny_Mars, on Apr 28 2011 - 15:42, said:

5. You want to hide _behind_ a bush, rather than _in_ it. If even a bit of your tank is sticking out, you aren't hidden at all.

6. "Flanking" refers to maneuvering around an opponent so that you can shoot his side or rear armor. Just about every vehicle has the thickest armor on its front. A "flanking maneuver" typically requires at least two tanks working together against a single target.

7. "Going hull down" refers to positioning your tank behind a piece of hard cover - a wall, a hill - so that only your turret is exposed to enemy fire. Many tanks are specifically designed to use this tactic (e.g. they have well-armored turrets and less-well-armored hulls).

8. Upgrade your radio. Not only does having a better radio mean that you can shoot more targets, every time a teammate shoots a target that you're spotting for them, you earn a little passive XP.

9. You can hit targets that you can't actually see. If a target you're shooting at vanishes, go ahead and shoot again anyway. If he didn't actually move, you'll hit him. Also, if you can see shells coming out of a bush at you, you can go ahead and shoot back.

10. Turn the hull of your vehicle one way or the other, just a little bit, so that you're not facing the enemy who is shooting at you straight-on. The angle you create will deflect some shots that might otherwise penetrate your armor.

Wow thanks Johnny, didn't know about #10  :unsure:

Also, about #9: this is partuculary important if you are playing as ARTY.
Tanks have a much shorter efective range than ARTY, so for tanks that woul dbe no point in see an enemie across the map, other than figure out what the opponents tactics are. But on the other hand, you might want to get a better radio even in your tank, so you can actually send the intel to your ARTY (usually far behind you) in the hope that he might get that scarry Tiger out of your way for ya.

11th. If you gonna try to play ARTY, you should know that the SHIFT key is your best friend  :Smile_great:
Pressing SHIFT gives you an overview of the map, so you can aim at targets that are behind walls, hills, rocks and other objects.
First time I've played as ARTY, I was wondering how those ARTY could get shots to go over hills. I was trying to aim like I used to as a tank, thinking that the game would calculate the correct trajetory.  :blink:
After shooting alot of holes in that poor hill, I just asked my fellow ARTY players, and the magic answer came out: "USE THE SHIFT KEY".  :D
Belive me, it makes wonders for ARTY players.

Also, once you get into your overview map, there will be a circle around your crosshair. This circle will become smaller as you stand still with your corsshair over the target. Also it´s green, if the target can be reached and red if it can't (i.e. beacuse it´s out of range or behind cover).

In the center of that circle it's a dot. You should point that central dot (NOT YOUR CROSSHAIR) always on the far side of the target, to increase your chances of hitting the target.

Also, before the game beginns, you should plan carefully your location. Hide behind a building is a bad idea because, while providing you some cover, it will also block your shots, preventing you from hitting any target, thus rending you useless in battle.

Keep the tips comming guys  ;)

CaptIceman #5 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 21:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
Just thought about another usefull tip for beginners.

12nd. Some equipments, such as guns, radios, turrets, engines, etc. fit in more than one tank model.

So, make sure before you sell a tank, if the tank isn't equiped with an item you might need on your next tier tank.

i.e.: I had a BT-7 equiped with a tier IX radio. My next tank on the tech tree was the A-20 (pice of junk btw).
It happens that the A-20 can equip the same tier IX radio model that I had before on the BT-7.
So I just equiped the standard radio on my BT-7 before I sold him.
Than, once I got my A-20, I just had to research the tier IX radio for that tank, and could equip the old radio I still had from my BT-7 on int, without having to buy it again.

Same works for engines, tracks, turrets, engines and other stuff.

Although if you know for sure you wont need a specific equipment later, just sell it with your tank, since you get more credits for selling an "elited" tank than for an "empty" one.

But since the sell price is always lower than the buy price, it's worth looking at the specs of your next tank, just to make sure you don't sell something for a penny that will cost you a few hard earned bucks later.  :Smile_harp:

KPEMEHb #6 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 22:39

Major

• Players
  • 41598 battles
  • [_UKR_] _UKR_
A few comments.

1. You do not need to research the same radio (or any other equipment) on two different tanks. If it is researched you get it researched on the new tank.

2. Sell price is half of the buy price. I typically sell the tank in its stock configuration and keep all the upgraded stuff just in case I want to play that tank again. Before selling a tank you might want to put your crew into barracks and retrain to a new tank if it is high enough level.

3. In dire need of credits you can sell equipment and even ammo from the tanks you no longer have and don't plan on getting again in your depot.

CaptIceman #7 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 00:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostKPEMEHb, on Apr 28 2011 - 22:39, said:

A few comments.

1. You do not need to research the same radio (or any other equipment) on two different tanks. If it is researched you get it researched on the new tank.

2. Sell price is half of the buy price. I typically sell the tank in its stock configuration and keep all the upgraded stuff just in case I want to play that tank again. Before selling a tank you might want to put your crew into barracks and retrain to a new tank if it is high enough level.

3. In dire need of credits you can sell equipment and even ammo from the tanks you no longer have and don't plan on getting again in your depot.

Thanks for the tips on the crew. Didn't know that.  :Smile_honoring:

As for the research, unless I'm terrible mistaken here, I think you have to research it again for the new tank, just don't have to buy it again.
It would be nice if someone could confirm or deny that. :blink:

KPEMEHb #8 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 41598 battles
  • [_UKR_] _UKR_
I assure you that you don't have to research the same thing twice.

berree #9 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 01:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 9861 battles

View PostKPEMEHb, on Apr 29 2011 - 01:00, said:

I assure you that you don't have to research the same thing twice.

confirmed

CaptIceman #10 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 13:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
Ok, so it's confirmed that you don't need to research your stuff again. My bad  :Smile_harp:

Here is another one for beginners:

If your in a battle and die soon (happens often as a beginner) you don't have to stay in the battle till the end.
Although you might be willing to stay to learn tactics and whatnot, you don't have to.

You can leave the current battle by pressing ESC and just join another battle with another tank.
You will still earn the same EXP and credits for the battle you just left.

This is particulary helpfull if you have a few elited tanks (aka research grinders) to play with to help you earn research points for your main tank. Also credits can be grinded this way.

And don't forget the main purpose of the game: To have fun  ;)

Johnny_Mars #11 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 13:36

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles

View PostCaptIceman, on Apr 29 2011 - 13:24, said:

If your in a battle and die soon (happens often as a beginner) you don't have to stay in the battle till the end.
Although you might be willing to stay to learn tactics and whatnot, you don't have to.
If you stay to watch a battle after your tank explodes, right-click will transport you to the nearest surviving teammate, and you can watch him play from the same 3rd-person perspective. Right-clicking will cycle you through your teammates until you arrive back at your own wreckage (left-clicking will bring you straight back to your wreckage). Also, you can still chat and ping the minimap after you're dead. If you're a team player, you can help your boys win, even from beyond the grave.

Zakume #12 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 18:14

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View PostCaptIceman, on Apr 29 2011 - 13:24, said:

Ok, so it's confirmed that you don't need to research your stuff again. My bad  :Smile_harp:

Here is another one for beginners:

You can leave the current battle by pressing ESC and just join another battle with another tank.
You will still earn the same EXP and credits for the battle you just left.

This is particulary helpfull if you have a few elited tanks (aka research grinders) to play with to help you earn research points for your main tank. Also credits can be grinded this way.

And don't forget the main purpose of the game: To have fun  ;)

Lul capt u brazilian nubpie :3

CaptIceman #13 Posted May 01 2011 - 14:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostZakume, on Apr 29 2011 - 18:14, said:

Lul capt u brazilian nubpie :3

Huh ?  :blink:

Zakume #14 Posted May 02 2011 - 04:03

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View PostCaptIceman, on May 01 2011 - 14:50, said:

Huh ?  :blink:

;D

Sargent67 #15 Posted May 03 2011 - 22:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3108 battles
Another question I see too often to count..."How do I turn on auto fire so I can shoot fast like you?"
answer: You don't! When puchasing a tank or a new gun for the tank look at rate of fire. Your slow fire are going to be from 30/min to 2/min approximately. The auto or fast fire the rate is going to be up over a 100. Which to use? Slow fire is great for manual aiming and sitting still (even sitting still autoaim will miss 1 out of 3) and sniping or at close range if you're moving. The auto because of the way the gun bucks or jumps when firing is really only usefully using auto aim, which makes it perfect for beginners still learning how to drive as they can move and just click the fire button. People who want to stay mobile and don't have the skill to manual aim at speed will also find this a decent choice.

Note once your crew gets near to 100% using the slow fire on autoaim while moving at range becomes a decent choice. You'll still miss but if you time your firing to avoid bumps or turns you can minimize them.

Sadukar09 #16 Posted May 03 2011 - 23:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19837 battles
You do not have to hide BEHIND a bush, you can stay IN a bush as long as no part of your tank shows through the front of the bush.

Lady_Athena #17 Posted May 04 2011 - 02:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5641 battles
You can also check my Guide, along with other usefull guides in the Guide Section for new Players.

http://forum.worldof...130#entry444130

CaptIceman #18 Posted May 04 2011 - 20:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostSetyrGirl, on May 04 2011 - 02:21, said:

You can also check my Guide, along with other usefull guides in the Guide Section for new Players.

http://forum.worldof...130#entry444130

Oh way tank you kind Sir.  :Smile_great:

Maggoty #19 Posted May 04 2011 - 22:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4664 battles

View PostViper69, on Apr 28 2011 - 14:50, said:

Hmm, I would think the HE and AP thing would be reversed in real tank warfare. AP rounds would be a waste on lightly armored targets since you will get pass through shots and He would do squat against a heavily armored foe do to the overpressure being held outside the tank. I would think a high caliber HE round would be more effective against a light skinned opponent because you can still penetrate their armor and get the internal HE grenade. Of course if I were right than artillery in real life would have little effect. I will give your advice a try for sure and thank you.

The Chat thing I did not know about I was constantly sending messages to my own team because like you I was hitting cntrl+enter before typing.

Either way it is definitely a good idea to carry two types of shells I can see for sure, I will try it.

AP rounds would go through, but it's the components they hit on their way through the tank that make them so deadly. A 50mm hunk of metal hitting your engine at 1,000 feet per second, is no good.

Tank1911 #20 Posted May 05 2011 - 17:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10727 battles

View PostMaggoty, on May 04 2011 - 22:55, said:

AP rounds would go through, but it's the components they hit on their way through the tank that make them so deadly. A 50mm hunk of metal hitting your engine at 1,000 feet per second, is no good.
This is a quote fro the Wiki pages about AP/HE shell use:
"The general rule of thumb is; use AP on your own tier and below and HE for tanks higher than you, but this depends upon your gun: some are designed to use HE. Guns like the KV's 152mm gun use a large caliber round, but have a short barrel length. The large caliber of the shell is substantial and carries a generous amount of explosive-compound within, thus causing more damage. The drawback is the shell leaving the gun will have a relatively low velocity because of the short barrel length and thus, low armor-piercing capability. When you factor in the poor accuracy and range, its simply a waste to use AP shells with this type of gun and HE should be used exclusively.

Try experimenting with different ammunition to see what your gun's capabilities are on certain tanks.
When mounting tier 6 guns and higher, you should consider using AP more frequently, as these guns have enough penetration power to damage most tanks if you know which tank and what part of the tank you should aim for. "

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users