For Begginers only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Viper69 #21 Posted May 05 2011 - 19:45

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
I think I am misunderstanding how AP and HE shells work, not in real life but ingame. Why would an HE shell cause critical damage inside an armored skinned vehicle? Is this just a game feature so the tanks that were normally used as infantry killers have a place in a tank vs tank game? Lets face it, a PZ4 short barrel was not made to fight other tanks. An HE round striking a tiger even a large HE round would not do much if any internal damage to a tank. I know this is not a tank simulator I am just trying to wrap my head around the HE on everything bigger than your gun can penetrate using AP.

stickjock #22 Posted May 05 2011 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 5345 battles
  • [USBOT] USBOT

View PostViper69, on May 05 2011 - 19:45, said:

I think I am misunderstanding how AP and HE shells work, not in real life but ingame. Why would an HE shell cause critical damage inside an armored skinned vehicle? Is this just a game feature so the tanks that were normally used as infantry killers have a place in a tank vs tank game? Lets face it, a PZ4 short barrel was not made to fight other tanks. An HE round striking a tiger even a large HE round would not do much if any internal damage to a tank. I know this is not a tank simulator I am just trying to wrap my head around the HE on everything bigger than your gun can penetrate using AP.

Believe the way I've read here and on the Wiki site, HE (High-Explosive) gives you the explosion when striking your target.  Harder to get through the targets armor usually, but think about the crew and those often delicate components wrapped inSIDE that metal monster... they could be being shaken around like a bag of "shake n' bake"... not healthy for them at all...

Viper69 #23 Posted May 05 2011 - 22:14

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
Point taken and it makes sense.

brian333 #24 Posted May 06 2011 - 01:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5764 battles
When all else fails, shoot the tracks.

A tank's tracks are often the most vulnerable point on an otherwise hulking monster of armor. When facing Hotchkiss Panzers in my Tier 1 MS-1 I repeatedly shoot the tracks. Either I damage his tracks and immobilize him or I penetrate and damage the tank. If I try to shoot the hull of the same tank I repeatedly bounce shells off his armor.

Fast tanks or well armored ones can be stopped in their tracks by a single track hit, and the tracks are often the largest component on the side of the tank you happen to be facing so they make an easy hit for a new gunner.

If you can, roll your mouse-wheel forward, aim for the largest section of track you can see, and fire away. This is especially useful on a tank around the corner, because the track is usually the first thing you can shoot, and tracking him while he's still behind the corner means he can't shoot back.

Also, the scroll button and the shift keys are your friends. Practice using them. Usually I roll the mouse-wheel forward then shift out to move, but use whatever works for you.

CaptIceman #25 Posted May 06 2011 - 14:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View Postbrian333, on May 06 2011 - 01:43, said:

When all else fails, shoot the tracks.

A tank's tracks are often the most vulnerable point on an otherwise hulking monster of armor. When facing Hotchkiss Panzers in my Tier 1 MS-1 I repeatedly shoot the tracks. Either I damage his tracks and immobilize him or I penetrate and damage the tank. If I try to shoot the hull of the same tank I repeatedly bounce shells off his armor.

Fast tanks or well armored ones can be stopped in their tracks by a single track hit, and the tracks are often the largest component on the side of the tank you happen to be facing so they make an easy hit for a new gunner.

If you can, roll your mouse-wheel forward, aim for the largest section of track you can see, and fire away. This is especially useful on a tank around the corner, because the track is usually the first thing you can shoot, and tracking him while he's still behind the corner means he can't shoot back.

Also, the scroll button and the shift keys are your friends. Practice using them. Usually I roll the mouse-wheel forward then shift out to move, but use whatever works for you.

This is even more usefull when used against TD´s and the M3 Lee.
Most beginers never played the M3 Lee or a TD, and are not aware that those kind of tanks can't rotate their turrets.
No TD can and, as far as I know, M3 Lee is the only tank that can't rotate his turret as well.
So hitting the tracks of one of those, imobilizing them, make them a sitting duck, for you can just run beside them and fill them with lead while they will be sitting there just watching.

A common error beginners do is try to fight a TD head to head. TD´s, like most of the tanks, have the biggest armour in their front side.
Hit the tracks, imobilizing him, then go besides him and finish the job. NEVER STAY IN FRONT OF HIS DEADLY BARREL !!  :Smile-hiding:

The same works, although not so easy, agains HEAVY tanks. Although HEAVY tanks can rotate their turrets, they do it rather at a slow turn rate.
So if you gonna pick on a HEAVY, just do it Muhamad Ali stille, just dancing around him, while shooting  :Smile-playing: , faster than he can rotate his turret.
If you do it Mike Tysson stile  :Smile-izmena: , ur prolly will be send to hell in one shot. :huh:

On a side note about HE, sometimes I noticed shooting a tank with HE, appearently doing squat (tank is still at 100%), just to see the tank explode a few seconds later, due to fire caused by the HE blast. :Smile_great:

GearaDoga #26 Posted May 06 2011 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
Here's a handy tip:  On Malinovka (2 spawns, opposite sides of a big field), the south spawn has a few buildings that are mostly blown out with windows you can shoot through (if your tank is tall enough).  These are great hiding spots, since only your turret is visible - the building shields the rest of the tank.

HOWEVER...

Think a bit before trying to use the windows.  

Any opponent who's logged more than a few hours in this game knows about the windows too, and many make it a point to wait 20, 30 seconds before sending a round or two straight through the windows from the other spawn.  Not a huge problem at tiers 1 and 2, maybe.  Tiers 3 and up are a different thing entirely - you really don't want to be the poor fellow sitting there in an M3 Stuart or a T-26 when a KV or Panzer IV decides to send a heavy shell screaming through your turret.  It's likely the last mistake you'll make that game.

CaptIceman #27 Posted May 09 2011 - 12:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostGearaDoga, on May 06 2011 - 17:04, said:

Here's a handy tip:  On Malinovka (2 spawns, opposite sides of a big field), the south spawn has a few buildings that are mostly blown out with windows you can shoot through (if your tank is tall enough).  These are great hiding spots, since only your turret is visible - the building shields the rest of the tank.

HOWEVER...

Think a bit before trying to use the windows.  

Any opponent who's logged more than a few hours in this game knows about the windows too, and many make it a point to wait 20, 30 seconds before sending a round or two straight through the windows from the other spawn.  Not a huge problem at tiers 1 and 2, maybe.  Tiers 3 and up are a different thing entirely - you really don't want to be the poor fellow sitting there in an M3 Stuart or a T-26 when a KV or Panzer IV decides to send a heavy shell screaming through your turret.  It's likely the last mistake you'll make that game.

lol so true :)

Kaeldian #28 Posted May 09 2011 - 19:14

Major

• Players
  • 19203 battles
Been at the game only about 3 weeks, but I just wanted to add these because they are pet peeves....

- Don't outpace your support:  Saying "let's go right" then rushing off by yourself while 2 slower tanks that can help you trundle behind.  Find a nice corner or hiding spot ahead of them to set up until they catch up.

- More guns is better: If possible, always leave room on either side of you for people to shoot past you.  Travel in rows, not columns.  The more guns that can put shells downrange on yoru targets, the better.

- Peekabo is bad: When fighting around corners, the attacker is the one who is at a disadvantage.  (not to mention, some tanks have weaker side armor than front)  In fact, I can guarantee that most of the time the defender will be able to get a clean shot at the attacker before the attacker can.

- Share your hits: Consider letting the injured tanks retreat to the back while the undamaged ones take the lead.  The longer you can keep guns on the field, the better.  Hell, I've thrown myself in front of shells meant for my teams SPG's or TD flanks when I myself am at full health...

CaptIceman #29 Posted May 09 2011 - 19:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostKaeldian, on May 09 2011 - 19:14, said:

Been at the game only about 3 weeks, but I just wanted to add these because they are pet peeves....

- Don't outpace your support:  Saying "let's go right" then rushing off by yourself while 2 slower tanks that can help you trundle behind.  Find a nice corner or hiding spot ahead of them to set up until they catch up.

- More guns is better: If possible, always leave room on either side of you for people to shoot past you.  Travel in rows, not columns.  The more guns that can put shells downrange on yoru targets, the better.

- Peekabo is bad: When fighting around corners, the attacker is the one who is at a disadvantage.  (not to mention, some tanks have weaker side armor than front)  In fact, I can guarantee that most of the time the defender will be able to get a clean shot at the attacker before the attacker can.

- Share your hits: Consider letting the injured tanks retreat to the back while the undamaged ones take the lead.  The longer you can keep guns on the field, the better.  Hell, I've thrown myself in front of shells meant for my teams SPG's or TD flanks when I myself am at full health...

Yeap, if you can save your KV buddy from dieing, he can still use his derp gun to blast enemies away from you.

Also, even crippled, a high tier heavy or TD is scarry  :D

CaptIceman #30 Posted May 13 2011 - 14:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
Bump for awesomness :)

Viper69 #31 Posted May 13 2011 - 18:24

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles

Had to give that one a green! That is good advice and sometimes the simple advice is the last thing you think of.

CaptIceman #32 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 14:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
Bump for new players...

Zakume #33 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 17:17

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles
Bump for Capt :D

UncleBurban #34 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 18:23

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME I CAN OPEN THE GAME AND START IT BUT WHEN IT STARTS TO UPDATE MY GARAGE THE GAME CLOSES ENTIRELY!!! I TRIED OPENING  THE GAME ANOTHER WAY AND THEN I GET ERROR MESSAGES (i dont get error messages the game usually just closes) :angry:  :(

Zakume #35 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 00:20

Major

• 31445 battles

View PostUncleBurban, on Jun 16 2011 - 18:23, said:

SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME I CAN OPEN THE GAME AND START IT BUT WHEN IT STARTS TO UPDATE MY GARAGE THE GAME CLOSES ENTIRELY!!! I TRIED OPENING  THE GAME ANOTHER WAY AND THEN I GET ERROR MESSAGES (i dont get error messages the game usually just closes) :angry:  :(

What are your system specs?

Sargent67 #36 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 01:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3108 battles

\
\

Not always learn to angle into the opening istead of entering at 90', also learn to feint make a fake move or two into the open it will usually trick the enemy into wasting a shot when he expects you to continue out from cover.

Another tip, when after the intitial rush and destruction that starts most low tier battles you suddenly find your team outnumbering the outher team by 3-5 players don't assume you've won and rush in. The best players on the other side may all be still alive and healthy. I've seen a battle that was 13-3 and the side with 13 lost so don't ever assume outnumbered = finished, keep playing smart untill that win screen comes up.

CaptIceman #37 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 14:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
bump again for new users

Zakume #38 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 15:35

Major

• 31445 battles
Why don't the mods sticky this along with the other 5 or so user made guides in this subforum?  :unsure:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users