New to game, any way to reduce lag?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

airdroid #1 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 22:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hi, this is a really fun game, but it is hard to enjoy it because i am running at about 3 fps, every setting in options is set to either low or off, and it is still a pain in the butt to aim and shoot, takes about 5 seconds to get the gun aimed just right, and if the target moves im in big trouble.

The only time this doesnt happen is when I am either watching a tank after mine has been destroyed and it runs at about 13-15 fps, and when i am in artillery mode in a SPG, can anyone help?

If you need to know what kind of computer I have, it is a Toshiba laptop from 2009.

15Charlie #2 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Hon, lag is not related to Frames Per Second.
Lag is internet latency or data loss which is manifested in-game as twitchy tank movements and loss of control.

Low FPS are a result of your computer's inability to render the scenes in game at a rapid rate.
Laptops use integrated video graphics and with the exception of the high end rigs, are less than stellar at processing 3d games and applications.  
Since you already set everything to low, this leaves the operating system and video chipset.  The latest drivers help, and you can get some FPS boost by going into the driver control panel and setting what you can to PERFORMANCE if possible.

Asking your 2009 Toshiba to run this game and do it well is asking alot.

stickjock #3 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:01

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
FPS boost tips

Give that a shot.... I didn't notice much of a difference but most users posting there seem to say it really helped them out a lot...

If that doesn't work give this thread a try....

Minoson's Compressed Textures...

Hope those have some ideas thta work for you...

Stick

a1fox3 #4 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:02

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postairdroid, on Apr 28 2011 - 22:55, said:

Hi, this is a really fun game, but it is hard to enjoy it because i am running at about 3 fps, every setting in options is set to either low or off, and it is still a pain in the butt to aim and shoot, takes about 5 seconds to get the gun aimed just right, and if the target moves im in big trouble.

The only time this doesnt happen is when I am either watching a tank after mine has been destroyed and it runs at about 13-15 fps, and when i am in artillery mode in a SPG, can anyone help?

If you need to know what kind of computer I have, it is a Toshiba laptop from 2009.
These type of games dont run to good on reg. type laptop you need to see if you can upgrade the video card on it for it is a video hog.

If it is onboard video then you are out of luck on it and may need to go buy a desk top with a good video card in it.

:Smile-izmena::Smile-izmena::Smile-izmena:

airdroid #5 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on Apr 28 2011 - 23:01, said:

FPS boost tips

Give that a shot.... I didn't notice much of a difference but most users posting there seem to say it really helped them out a lot...

If that doesn't work give this thread a try....

Minoson's Compressed Textures...

Hope those have some ideas thta work for you...

Stick
I went to the FPS boosting tips, but I cant access the file it talked about for some reason

stickjock #6 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:32

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postairdroid, on Apr 28 2011 - 23:27, said:

I went to the FPS boosting tips, but I cant access the file it talked about for some reason

I had trouble finding it too but eventually got it...

Windows versions??  XP, Vista, 7??  Scan thru and they have some tips for all versions to find the file...

Mine (XP) was in c:\documents and settings\[my username]\application data\WorldofTanks

You have to be able to view hidden/system folders to see the application data folder tho'...

Single #7 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
If you're really laggy, try out Game Booster. It reduced my lag significantly. Just google it up :)

airdroid #8 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on Apr 28 2011 - 23:32, said:

I had trouble finding it too but eventually got it...

Windows versions??  XP, Vista, 7??  Scan thru and they have some tips for all versions to find the file...

Mine (XP) was in c:\documents and settings\[my username]\application data\WorldofTanks

You have to be able to view hidden/system folders to see the application data folder tho'...
I have Vista, but when I go to the folder it only shows that I can uninstall WOTS, go to WOTS, and got to WOTS internet shortcut

stickjock #9 Posted Apr 28 2011 - 23:42

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSingle, on Apr 28 2011 - 23:34, said:

If you're really laggy, try out Game Booster. It reduced my lag significantly. Just google it up :)

That looks intersting... not too many problems on my end for WoT's but a  few games i have could benefit from it... then again, i should just break down and buy a new comp... one that's not 5 years + old... ;)

And from the  link above for Vista....

"Oh, in Vista it is hidden. Go to "Computer" and type something in the search bar, then go to the top and click search options and click show hidden folders or something. Then search AppData"

airdroid #10 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 00:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on Apr 28 2011 - 23:42, said:

That looks intersting... not too many problems on my end for WoT's but a  few games i have could benefit from it... then again, i should just break down and buy a new comp... one that's not 5 years + old... ;)

And from the  link above for Vista....

"Oh, in Vista it is hidden. Go to "Computer" and type something in the search bar, then go to the top and click search options and click show hidden folders or something. Then search AppData"
still cant find it, couldnt find search options, searched appdata and like 5 things showed up, didnt look like any were from WOT

I give up, i dont understand any of this and it seems like way too much work

Zakume #11 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 18:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Need more information than "Toshiba Laptop", do you know the specific specs of it, such as the processor, RAM, and integrated graphics?

+1 to gamebooster suggestion if it helps

stickjock #12 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 18:54

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostZakume, on Apr 29 2011 - 18:48, said:

Need more information than "Toshiba Laptop", do you know the specific specs of it, such as the processor, RAM, and integrated graphics?

+1 to gamebooster suggestion if it helps

Gave him a +1... I did the tip from the FPS tip thread I posted, seem'd to give me a few more FPS... saw the tip here about Gamebooster and gave it a shot yesterday and played with it last night.... I have to say, it really did help my system/game run better... FPS jump'd way up for me.  Never had too much of a problem but my FPS would drop now and then, but didn't have any problems last night with it...

Zakume #13 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 18:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Also closing all unnecessary tray icons at the bottom right helps. Those icons such as steam, utorrent, game launchers, skype, windows live, etc.

airdroid #14 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 20:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on Apr 29 2011 - 18:54, said:

Gave him a +1... I did the tip from the FPS tip thread I posted, seem'd to give me a few more FPS... saw the tip here about Gamebooster and gave it a shot yesterday and played with it last night.... I have to say, it really did help my system/game run better... FPS jump'd way up for me.  Never had too much of a problem but my FPS would drop now and then, but didn't have any problems last night with it...
I downloaded game booster, and watched the video on the geek site about it, but the one I downloaded looks differnet than the one he downloaded

airdroid #15 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 20:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Game booster did nothing for me, i don't know if I downloaded the wrong version, but I had it clean my shortcuts, improve PC performance, and free up disk space and my FPS went up by about 1

stickjock #16 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 21:24

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postairdroid, on Apr 29 2011 - 20:57, said:

Game booster did nothing for me, i don't know if I downloaded the wrong version, but I had it clean my shortcuts, improve PC performance, and free up disk space and my FPS went up by about 1

Bummer... also, if you haven't found that file the thread above mentions editing it "should" be in this directory...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks\preferences.xml

You may have found it as I see you posted in that thread, but still, just checking to see if you got it yet or not...  

Stick

Otto_Toten #17 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 21:59

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
It's funny but the game crashes my old laptop after about 10-15 minutes, it seems like the processor overheats?

I wanted to add, I really enjoy the game and you can add some strategy or just go out blasting.

airdroid #18 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 22:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on Apr 29 2011 - 21:24, said:

Bummer... also, if you haven't found that file the thread above mentions editing it "should" be in this directory...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks\preferences.xml

You may have found it as I see you posted in that thread, but still, just checking to see if you got it yet or not...  

Stick
I cant find that because I dont know where to look, Im not really how you say, tech savvy, and this stuff really confuses me

Zakume #19 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 00:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postairdroid, on Apr 29 2011 - 22:23, said:

I cant find that because I dont know where to look, Im not really how you say, tech savvy, and this stuff really confuses me

Its exactly like how he lists it. Goto your C drive which can be found in My Computer, then Users, then click the one that should be the main login name, should be the one that you entered when you installed the OS, or by default its username like he says, then just continue to click the folders with the corresponding names till u get to it. Dont need to be tech savvy :)

airdroid #20 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 14:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostZakume, on Apr 30 2011 - 00:34, said:

Its exactly like how he lists it. Goto your C drive which can be found in My Computer, then Users, then click the one that should be the main login name, should be the one that you entered when you installed the OS, or by default its username like he says, then just continue to click the folders with the corresponding names till u get to it. Dont need to be tech savvy :)
so I go I hit the Start button? I dont know where My Computer is